TAGG
October 6, 2015, 10:23am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,940
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from speedy

Stick to fifa, You genuinly expect a conferance team to pull off that formation?? Also, i dislike East on the left, he hates his left foot and often gets him in trouble.

Well we're doing fookin great playing 4-4-2 like all on here want.
All I'm saying is try 5 in midfield.
FFS we are behind Lincoln so can't get much worse.
They are pro footballers so should cope with any system.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
Magsinrio
October 6, 2015, 10:26am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +220
Gold Stars: 2
I cannot see him dropping Pittman as he is scoring each game and nearly scored before he did on Saturday. I hope he brings Ammond in (I have him as top scorer this season) or Bogle in as didnt think Tomlinson did a lot on Saturday. Whichever he does then I would like to see him bring in the other earlier, at half time, if its not working. I would also like to see Arnold start, I appreciate why he was left out but thought he looked dangerous on saturday when he came on. I have the feeling we will get a load of goals tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
pizzzza
October 6, 2015, 10:44am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
I think we are splitting hairs here, if we are serious title contenders then we should be winning tonight with any combination of strikers at our disposal.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
speedy
October 6, 2015, 10:45am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: +445
Quoted from TAGG

Well we're doing fookin great playing 4-4-2 like all on here want.
All I'm saying is try 5 in midfield.
FFS we are behind Lincoln so can't get much worse.
They are pro footballers so should cope with any system.

Fair enough, didn't mean to come across as harsh. Just my opinion, Teams alot better than us struggle with 3 at the back and get it wrong. I'd quite like a 4-3-3 but every time i seem to recall us trying it (with different players to be fair) we end up losing our shape so often.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
davmariner
October 6, 2015, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,956
Gold Stars: 79
Whoever mentioned about Robertson not having played well is spot on. A significant number of our goals conceded has come from crosses in from his side.

His lack of pace means that he struggles against a quick winger and Robertson really struggles to stop the crosses.

In some games he's got up the field to overlap Monkhouse, but he struggles to get a decent cross in a lot of the time. Most of the time, he's not able to get forward. Some would argue that it isn't a left back's priority to get up the field to attack but when you're playing Monkhouse (whose game is not to take on the opposing full back and whip a cross in) you have to have a left back that will run behind and whip a ball in.

Don't get me wrong, Monkhouse offers a lot but Hurst's tactic of lumping it to Monkhouse has become quite predictable and teams have dealt with our 'attacking' threat quite easily.

When this has happened, Hurst will er on the side of caution and leave it too late to make a change and doesn't allow enough time for subs to make an impact.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
Maringer
October 6, 2015, 12:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,620
Gold Stars: 185
Whacking it long towards Monkhouse isn't a bad tactic - providing it isn't our only one! He'll challenge well and win as many headers as he loses but if we play that ball every time it is all too predictable and gives the opposition too much time to organise themselves.

If Monkhouse is playing, we need to use the aerial ball to him more sparingly so it's either up to the midfield and forwards to show more for a pass to feet or start mixing it up by playing a ball over the top towards the corners for our forwards/wingers to run on to once in a while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2015, 12:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from davmariner
Whoever mentioned about Robertson not having played well is spot on. A significant number of our goals conceded has come from crosses in from his side.

His lack of pace means that he struggles against a quick winger and Robertson really struggles to stop the crosses.

In some games he's got up the field to overlap Monkhouse, but he struggles to get a decent cross in a lot of the time. Most of the time, he's not able to get forward. Some would argue that it isn't a left back's priority to get up the field to attack but when you're playing Monkhouse (whose game is not to take on the opposing full back and whip a cross in) you have to have a left back that will run behind and whip a ball in.

Don't get me wrong, Monkhouse offers a lot but Hurst's tactic of lumping it to Monkhouse has become quite predictable and teams have dealt with our 'attacking' threat quite easily.

When this has happened, Hurst will er on the side of caution and leave it too late to make a change and doesn't allow enough time for subs to make an impact.

Spot on.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
speedy
October 6, 2015, 1:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: +445
Quoted from davmariner

Monkhouse looked alot better with East playing behind him and Tait at rb, East loved the overlaps and still got back to cover
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
Tommy
October 6, 2015, 1:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
I don't know where people get the idea from that lumping it up to Monkhouse is a tactic of ours?

I've not seen us doing this in open play. Only from goal kicks, when you've got to kick it up to someone, so why not Monkhouse (our strongest player in the air). I'd rather us play short from goal kicks and I think we do seem to try too quite often, but it's not always possible.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
jonnyboy82
October 6, 2015, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Tommy it was done alot on saturday in open play mainly by the full backs.

Imo it was a tactic and creeping in more frequently lately.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Gateshead

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.