Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The shape of things to come?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 285 Guests

The shape of things to come?

This thread currently has 6,356 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
February 5, 2016, 5:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Can remember around that time we was sat at the top of the Championship, had to play Portsmouth away I think, a young up coming Peter Crouch and Burchill scored I think or was it Prozzynecki or someone, he was another bloody good player.

Abdul's dull fact of the day:

Only man to score in the world cup for 2 different countries.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
mariner91
February 5, 2016, 6:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Interesting article >> [url=http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/26-the-strange-case-of/7920-zhang-enhua]http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/26-the-strange-case-of/7920-zhang-enhua[/url]

Does our current starting 11 earn that in total a week

As if his kid is named Gary  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
jock dock tower
February 5, 2016, 6:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The Headboys from 1979. Stonking anthem.

#https://www.google.co.uk/url?s.....2Qi5HwGodqvq8rmwAh5g

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 5, 2016, 6:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Town Monkey
I was at that Pompey game.  Burchill and Crouch got a brace each and we lost 4-2.  Burchill then went to Celtic I think but his hamstrings went and he was never the same again.  If memory serves Prosinecki absolutely ran the game, but I might be wrong and it might have been the Merson season.

August bank holiday? Roasting hot?

If so, I fell asleep in a booze induced coma on the corner seating/terrace thing. Front side of me streaky brown, back half cool as anything!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
ginnywings
February 5, 2016, 7:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from jock dock tower
The Headboys from 1979. Stonking anthem.

#https://www.google.co.uk/url?s.....2Qi5HwGodqvq8rmwAh5g

Cheers for that Jock; a stonking song indeed that i haven't heard in over 30 years at a guess. Completely forgotten tracks are ace (or sh1te) depending on the song.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
blundellpork
February 5, 2016, 8:20pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Whilst Enhua was a menace in the opposition box, he was just average at defending our own. It was such a waste to see such a talent as Handyside sat on the bench week after week. Unfortunately Lawrence and the board lost the plot around that time throwing fortunes at average foreigners.

Porky
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
chaos33
February 5, 2016, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from diehardmariner
He wasn't the worst defender I've ever seen, that was Vance Warner.   He definitely wasn't worth £13k a week plus expenses though.

At attacking set-pieces he was a genuine threat with his aerial prowess, even though he wasn't the biggest bloke.  It was just defending, which is quite important for a defender, that he left himself down.

My abiding memory of him is Birmingham at home on a Tuesday night.  He managed to nutmeg himself and let Andy Johnson to steam through unchallenged and fire past Danny Coyne.  At the other end he was an absolute menace at corners, the Birmingham defence couldn't handle him.

I'm lying actually, my abiding memory is that whilst he and Paul Groves, who was a great midfielder but a far lesser centre-half, were the preferred pairing, we had Peter Handyside in his prime sat on the bench waiting and waiting and waiting for a chance.  At that point Handyside was absolutely superb, a classier defender you could not dream of  seeing in what is now the Championship.  Dare I say it, he was Futcher-esque at this point.  

Handyside left the following summer on a Bosman to Stoke.  Even though they were a league below us they probably offered far more money than we could and gave him the captaincy but I think a lot of Town fans blame Lennie Lawrence's snubbing of him for his departure.  Handyside was dubbed 'Kaiser' in comparison to Franz Beckennauer by Stoke fans as they won the play-offs.  He then came to Blundell Park quite late in the next season and got torn to bits by Micky Boulding and Chris Thompson.  

Great work in your posts on this thread diehard. I remember all that well. By my reckoning you'd maybe be about 20 around that time? Some of us were posting on the original 'Electronic Fishcake' in that era  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
Tom13
February 5, 2016, 8:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from Abdul19

I thought a year was pretty good for him

A very good point!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
nightrider
February 5, 2016, 8:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I remember Handyside being the best player on the pitch in that Stoke game
thought he was immense - and they let in about 4 goals! The other 10 Stoke players must have been crap

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
forza ivano
February 5, 2016, 9:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Town Monkey
I was at that Pompey game.  Burchill and Crouch got a brace each and we lost 4-2.  Burchill then went to Celtic I think but his hamstrings went and he was never the same again.  If memory serves Prosinecki absolutely ran the game, but I might be wrong and it might have been the Merson season.

In my top 3 individual performances that I've seen live, along with Peter Barnes for wba v gy and Bruno Valero for Villarreal at atletico.
Talking of Luke Cornwall, rhat must've been the season we absolutely fluked a win at wba on good Friday ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The shape of things to come?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.