Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The shape of things to come?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 116 Guests

The shape of things to come?

This thread currently has 6,363 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
February 5, 2016, 10:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Bloody hell I remember that Pompey game, thinking who's that lanky tw*t. Doesn't look like a foo...oh sodomist he's scored.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
diehardmariner
February 6, 2016, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,673
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from chaos33

Great work in your posts on this thread diehard. I remember all that well. By my reckoning you'd maybe be about 20 around that time? Some of us were posting on the original 'Electronic Fishcake' in that era  

Cheers mate.  
I would have been late teens when Lennie took over and brought his foreign legion in.  Fresh eyed, full of hope and optimism.  Easy to look back now and say how that era was a farce but I genuinely thought at the time that we were destined for bigger things under Lennie and Huxford.  I think that naive hope made it all that more painful when the wheels came off and towards the end I was very vocal in blaming him for the demise.

For all his achievements Buckley had left a bit of a stale taste at the end of his second spell and it was refreshing to see something different.  I think it was Lennie's first game, away at Crewe possibly, with a 3-5-2 formation.  It was a disaster but it was a sign of things to come.  David Neilsen came in soon after and although he was by far the peak of the foreigners it was fascinating to see the likes of Menno and Knut Anders Fostervold coming to Town.  Of course most of the foreigners were absolutely junk but it was exciting.  

Lennie was only spending the money the board said he could and whilst some of his decision making was a bit suspect, Handyside the classic example, the thinking was clear to see.  I remember him saying that he hoped the signing of Enhua would tap into the local Chinese population.  Unfortunately no-one told him it equated to about 200 people.  Another thing he did well was bridge the gap between our youth team and first team.  We were producing a couple of decent players (Rowan and Croudson the ones that spring to mind), but we had nothing in the way of a development side.  In his first full summer he brought in six young lads released by other clubs.  Two were a couple of Dutch lads, one a 'keeper who I never saw, the other a very talented midfielder who just couldn't hack it physically and I think was homesick but we had varying success with the others.  Simon Ford, the aforementioned Chris Thompson, Graham Hockless and Chris Bolder all went onto make first team appearances.  Ford the stand out 'success' of the experiment but Bolder made a number of appearances, Thompson had ridiculous potential but seemed to lack attitude and Hockless was the darling of the Pontoon a couple of seasons later.    What Lennie tried to address was that we didn't give youth lads long enough to develop and we ended up with a massive gap between the 18 man professional squad and then the youth set-up.   That's a problem we've still got today, doubt we're the only club either.

If anyone hasn't read John McDermott's book, it gives a great insight into the changes Lennie tried to bring into the club.  Not a fair comparison but since he left here we've done nothing but go down whilst he's carved out a very good little job for himself as a Director of Football/advisor to Dougie Freedman at a couple of Championship clubs.  

Ah yes, the original Electronic Fishcake.  Some great debates on there, at the time when the internet and message boards really exploded but well before social media came along.  I would say it was before internet trolling too but can you remember Mariner Matt was it, or Matt Mariner?  I think he was a Town fan at heart but he could never resist a wind up and loved to remind people of how expensive his flat in Sheffield centre was and how big the TV in his bedroom was  

First time the news seemed to hit the internet before the back page of the local paper too which made it seem even more exciting.  The ability to Google (probably was AskJeeves at that point!) the latest foreigner that Lennnie had taken on trial from the Danish fifth division was incredible.  I seem to remember this site had a young journo 'working' for them who had the scoop on absolute everything, even well ahead of the club at the time.  He went onto one of the national websites I think.

Despite the relegation scrap and a fair few absolute hammerings, good times to be a Town fan.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
ginnywings
February 6, 2016, 9:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
The whole Lennie Lawrence 'thing' was like a big firework; expensive, glittery, full of anticipation but all over in a flash and ultimately a let down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
Henryscat
February 6, 2016, 12:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from chaos33

Great work in your posts on this thread diehard. I remember all that well. By my reckoning you'd maybe be about 20 around that time? Some of us were posting on the original 'Electronic Fishcake' in that era  

I miss the electronic fishcake chat room on match days

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
rancido
February 6, 2016, 2:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,651
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from blundellpork
Whilst Enhua was a menace in the opposition box, he was just average at defending our own. It was such a waste to see such a talent as Handyside sat on the bench week after week. Unfortunately Lawrence and the board lost the plot around that time throwing fortunes at average foreigners.

Porky

I think the highlighted part led to our demise and subsequent fall from grace. The Board seemed to sanction spending silly money on just trying to stay at Championship level. It would always be a struggle at that level and we were certainly " punching above our weight". We ended up owing thousands and still eventually got relegated with a huge debt around our necks. We also deferred paying money owed to HMRC on the prospect of income from Digital TV ( a very stupid strategy ) and subsequently had to depend on JF bailing us out.  

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
Davec
February 6, 2016, 5:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 42
Who was our assistant manager when Lennie Lawrence was in charge ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
Abdul19
February 6, 2016, 7:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,591
Gold Stars: 219
Cockers?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
diehardmariner
February 8, 2016, 9:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,673
Gold Stars: 540
Yeah it was Cockers, Paul Wilkinson was also brought in to manage the reserve/development squad.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The shape of things to come?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.