Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The biggest concern...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 111 Guests

The biggest concern...

This thread currently has 4,633 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
February 14, 2016, 5:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I'm sure he will pm later regarding this matter

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/dyray1.gif[/IMG]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
rancido
February 14, 2016, 5:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Boring bollox from Hurst, but clearly doing an "adequate enough" job to keep him employed. Fentys former trigger happy finger has not been itchy for some time, but surely he must have some sense of anger about the number of draws we've had against pub teams this season.

I do agree with the sentiment behind this but I wish fans wouldn't describe teams like Borehamwood as " pub teams" !! This expression may have been appropriate many years ago when we had the old Midland League below the Football League but now we have automatic promotion thoughout the league I find it disengenous to the clubs involved. They won the right to be at this level and although it maybe the pinnacle of their aspirations, if they can survive at this level by whatever their tactics then good for them.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
MuddyWaters
February 14, 2016, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

I do agree with the sentiment behind this but I wish fans wouldn't describe teams like Borehamwood as " pub teams" !! This expression may have been appropriate many years ago when we had the old Midland League below the Football League but now we have automatic promotion thoughout the league I find it disengenous to the clubs involved. They won the right to be at this level and although it maybe the pinnacle of their aspirations, if they can survive at this level by whatever their tactics then good for them.

Disingenuous maybe, just sums up where we were when we were truly spoiled, when playing in the FA Trophy was what pub teams did and now our vertically challenged manager bases his seasons excuses on it. Being out of the title race in Feb is a step backwards and criticising the fans a step too far.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
friskneymariner
February 14, 2016, 5:35pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Boring bollox from Hurst, but clearly doing an "adequate enough" job to keep him employed. Fentys former trigger happy finger has not been itchy for some time, but surely he must have some sense of anger about the number of draws we've had against pub teams this season.

Could describe every season he has been in charge.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
nightrider
February 14, 2016, 5:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
For me, the writing was on the wall after the first game at Kidderminster.
All this crap about "its only the first game" "I'll judge after 10 games"
Plain to see after that one game. A club in turmoil, struggling to field a team, 1000+ Town fans and we fail to get a win. Gave an idea of how things would pan out. I know you can get an exception, ala Mansfield who were mid table for half a season, but to struggle against so many relegation fodder teams cant be good for one that expects to win the title.
The introduction of Townsend changed things, as it did with Palmer last season, but normal service has now resumed

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
moosey_club
February 14, 2016, 8:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,269
Gold Stars: 226
THE BIGGEST CONCERN......
We apparantly did our homework,
we knew they had the best defensive away record,
we knew how they would approach the game,

yet we didnt look like we had any idea on how to beat them. we struggled with the conditions, actually played better against the wind but the subs didnt work, the final sub in particular, i imagine Horwood took a knock but to put two square pegs in for that very poor, we needed to win so why not revert to 3 at the back, lose Horwood and slip Henderson or Clay in to make up a 5 in the middle which may have combatted their sitting No4, or bring Pearson on and put him or Toto up top for the high balls...just something a little more flexible than the 4-4-2 which didnt work.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
lew chaterleys lover
February 14, 2016, 9:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,729
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from moosey_club

yet we didnt look like we had any idea on how to beat them. we struggled with the conditions, actually played better against the wind but the subs didnt work, the final sub in particular, i imagine Horwood took a knock but to put two square pegs in for that very poor, we needed to win so why not revert to 3 at the back, lose Horwood and slip Henderson or Clay in to make up a 5 in the middle which may have combatted their sitting No4, or bring Pearson on and put him or Toto up top for the high balls...just something a little more flexible than the 4-4-2 which didnt work.

That is a fair point. You simply have to try something different if it is blatantly obvious it is not working. Why didn't Hurst come to the touchline in the first half and change one or two things when he could see we were making no progress at all? Thinking about it, why does he spend the first half of every home game in the stands if he then doesn't alter anything to combat anything?

I am a Hurst fan, but he did my nut in yesterday.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
ginnywings
February 14, 2016, 9:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club

Because Hurst won't gamble 1 point to gain 2 more. Losing yesterday in trying to win would have made no difference in the grand scheme of things but our manager doesn't think that way which is why we draw more games than just about any other team every season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
MuddyWaters
February 14, 2016, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
Seriously, my biggest concern is that every year we stay down here, we are digging ourselves a bigger hole to get out of. By that, I mean financially as well as on the pitch and with regard to the stadium.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
barralad
February 14, 2016, 10:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Seriously, my biggest concern is that every year we stay down here, we are digging ourselves a bigger hole to get out of. By that, I mean financially as well as on the pitch and with regard to the stadium.

We've discussed this before on here and I agree entirely with the highlighted part. It is why I joined The Trust Board because I firmly believe that we shouldn't be reliant on one persons patronage (which is in effect what we have here). Where I would differ is (if you still feel that way) is that I believe the stadium must happen regardless of the division we are playing in because all being well it should offer us sufficient financial impetus to reduce considerably the need to constantly bail us out.
I said the other week that I believed we had two seasons down here before the financial constraints started to bite properly and although hindsight is a wonderful thing the damage was done in the "misuse" by the incumbent manager at the time of the "Parachute" payments.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The biggest concern...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.