6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
May 25, 2016, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Bold or a bad error - think we ought to wait to see who he brings in first before we consider a knighthood as well as making Hurst a saint (can't afford any more duff signings and bear in mind the chances are that whoever he brings in will be players released by other clubs as not good enough)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
GollyGTFC
May 25, 2016, 10:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,981
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Ipswin
Bold or a bad error - think we ought to wait to see who he brings in first before we consider a knighthood as well as making Hurst a saint (can't afford any more duff signings and bear in mind the chances are that whoever he brings in will be players released by other clubs as not good enough)

Agreed. Everyone was happy enough when he released Mackreth. Then he signed Straker as a replacement!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 52
diehardmariner
May 25, 2016, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 538
Of course it's his job to release players and be ruthless with it.  That doesn't change the fact that I'm pleasantly surprised as to how ruthless he was.

Monkhouse was his boy all season.  Without a doubt his favourite player and he couldn't help but defend and praise him, almost on a weekly basis.  I fully expected, against the wishes of more or less everyone else, him to be offered a new deal.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
moosey_club
May 25, 2016, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from diehardmariner

Monkhouse was his boy all season.  Without a doubt his favourite player and he couldn't help but defend and praise him, almost on a weekly basis.  I fully expected, against the wishes of more or less everyone else, him to be offered a new deal.

This.
Hurst also has said post Wembley Mk2 about learning from that performance/game, i think he finally realised the pattern between performances in the Braintree 1st leg, Braintree 2nd Leg, Play off final and Trophy final, LWWL, also coincidentally matched Monky being in and out of the side.

I hope he has learnt from this season and can take us on from being a generally tough to beat team to a winning team.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
mariner91
May 25, 2016, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,637
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Ipswin

Like Amond from Morecambe, Arnold from Cambridge and Nolan from Lincoln. Near enough every player at this level has been released by someone but it doesn't mean they're a bad player. Personal circumstances, the way the team play, competition for places are all factors that can influence a player's success at a particular club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
IlkleyMariner
May 25, 2016, 10:26am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Time will tell. Lets hope he has already lined up some players as did Chesterfield with Nolan.

Also hope that all of the players offered were given 2 year deals, except Disley who does not have 2 seasons left in him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
forza ivano
May 25, 2016, 10:40am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,173
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Clay is the one that split opinions, the rest everyone was happy with.

we know he spoke with Fenty before speaking to the players and i get the feeling he has a decent amount to work with, otherwise we might of seen Clay, East, Robertson etc stay..

Good point. hurst has also said that agents, who wouldn't give him the time of day previously, are now ringing him with players and he's been excited by the quality of players who would be interested in coming to gy. Maybe those 2 things made the decisions to keep/release a little bit easier or clear cut
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
diehardmariner
May 25, 2016, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Ipswin

Yeah, just like how Amond, Tait, Horwood, Robertson, Nolan, Arnold and Amond weren't good enough last season having been released and deemed not good enough by their previous clubs.

No-one is ever going to get every transfer right, even the best managers.  Hurst isn't without criticism, definitely not from me.  But I would back him with regards bringing players in.  He always seems to upgrade us.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
Sussexmariner
May 25, 2016, 11:09am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Ipswin
bear in mind the chances are that whoever he brings in will be players released by other clubs as not good enough)

Like Amond?.........but I get your point!

I've always had my doubts about Hurst as a manager, his inability to change a game via his substitutions, Yes I know he did it at Braintree but throughout the season we all saw games particularly at home where a change of formation, fresh legs etc was needed and it never came. His reliance on certain players that just didn't justify his 100% faith in them ( and by the way I'm a big fan of Monkhouse, one of the best players at the club, wasted on the left, lumping long balls to him. Not HIS fault!)

I've been on here many times joining the Hurst out brigade since after the Gateshead play off defeat, thinking he's just not got what it takes to get us promoted, but after the loss to Bristol and the manor of the defeat along with Operation promotion I thought it was right to stick with Hurst once again, as we all know last season was very frustrating to say the least and once again I was calling for a change, we hung on for a play off place and in my opinion due to Hurst being forced to make changes to the away Braintree game we got through, and likewise the final.

So do I want Hurst to be the manager next season? Yes! And here's why..

Like the beginning of last season there is a feel good factor around he club and fans, it's a slow learning curve (very slow sometimes) but I think Hurst is getting better as a manager, his decisions regarding which players he wants to keep and get rid of is spot on and let's hope he can bring in more "Amonds" and less "Strakers"  It's clear the players love Hurst and that bond I think played a big part in getting us promoted and that sort of man management can not be taught on a FIFA coaching course, so if he can get a squad of quality players together for next season playing for him I think we could be in for a cracking season and I'll be there supporting my club.

By the way, I'm keeping my signature thingy at the bottom as a good luck charm

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
Ipswin
May 25, 2016, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from mariner91

Like Amond from Morecambe, Arnold from Cambridge and Nolan from Lincoln. Near enough every player at this level has been released by someone but it doesn't mean they're a bad player. Personal circumstances, the way the team play, competition for places are all factors that can influence a player's success at a particular club.

I wouldn't go down the line of listing Hurst's good signings against bad if I were you - I know which list will be the longer

My point is that signings are likely to be a) those released as not good enough by Div 2 and (hopefully) Div 1 teams or b) players from the tinpot league we have just left (In which case why get rid of East and Clay. I suppose there is a c) a youngster the likes of Bogle from a non-league team who takes a couple of years to come up to speed and remember its up to speed in the FL not the Vanarama

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bold Hurst to be congratulated

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.