This thread currently has 7,704 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Rik e B
May 25, 2016, 2:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Yes Mrs Doyle -blistering pace in all the wide positions please (+steady Eddy Tait)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 25, 2016, 2:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It's what happens next that matters. Even if all those offered contracts do sign up they are not all going to be first team players so the great need is for a goodly number of decent, L2 minimum, quality players signed asap.

I say asap because I hope Hurst has learned from previous transfer windows that you cannot hang on to the last minute and get what you want. Last January was a terrible window for us, it definitely finished us as title contenders and and nearly cost us promotion. He must push deals through early this time and get the squad sorted. If targets are hesitant,  leave them and move on. We can't afford to be waiting for replies from players when we should be squad bonding in pre-season.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
acko338
May 25, 2016, 2:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
We have the league status carrot to dangle this time and that may be a good point if any out of contract National League players have the ability to step up - go full time etc.

Again, staying in the League instead of a drop down could be another influencing factor for league players out of contract.

I'm sure that if he has known who has to go from the squad this year, then he must have a positional wishlist for next season from players seen this year or from watching other matches.

I hope he has understood that natural pace on the flanks is needed in both back positions and also for wingers.

A couple of Townsend type players in any of those positions would be handy, and I'd like to see Clifton and Venney have a chance to develop in the cup matches if not needed immediately on the bench in the League.

I'd like him to look at players of the ilk of Keanu Marsh - Brown who have natural pace and a desire to attack at speed if going for our previous league level players, or perhaps goalscorers with potential like Omar who need a season to train full time and develop stamina as full timers.

League players need to be no more than 28 to 30 years old, so we have no more "last season before retiring" players in place.

I'm sure that surprises will appear with names we did not expect to come here, so roll on pre season and "A Trialist" getting their chance again.

Mr Hurst - your task gets harder, so good luck !!

Enjoy your summer family hols and come back determined to find us the players we need !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
ginnywings
May 25, 2016, 3:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Had a couple of texts today saying Amond talking to Scunny. Can't confirm if true but it wouldn't surprise me. I'll take it with a pinch of salt for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
Mariner_09
May 25, 2016, 3:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I trust Hursty to find a more than sutiable replacement, Hursty showed this year he was prepared to sacrifice his old signing policy and get a midfielder who wasn't especially good at keeping shape or doing the dirty work and a striker who basically contributes nothing but score. He also seemed quite excited by the fact a much bigger pool of players is available to him. We need a bigger squad and he has obviously been given a budget that means he can afford much better quality. Therefore the board gave him the ability to be ruthless, that is also the sign of a good leader the one who could make the tough calls. I for one believe we need a much more athletic left side so we can scare teams from either flank. Finally I didn't think Clay, East or Gregor would have good enough or good enough anymore in Gregor's case. It's going to be an exciting summer with so manu new signings but first seven re-signings hopefully from first teamers.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
Mariner_09
May 25, 2016, 3:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from ginnywings
Had a couple of texts today saying Amond talking to Scunny. Can't confirm if true but it wouldn't surprise me. I'll take it with a pinch of salt for now.

Please no! Please all of the rest of you sign!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
jock dock tower
May 25, 2016, 3:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
A couple of astute signings from the higher leagues of players coming to the end of their careers would be exactly what is needed to help bed the team back into the Football League. You can't beat genuine quality and experience, and if we could replcate some of the signings Buckley made like that we could be in for a real treat.

Paul Futcher taken from Halifax reserves, Trevor Whymark, Gary Birtles and Chris Nicholl. Jeezo, I salivate now whenever I remember the class they bought onto the pitch at BP. Wonder if we will ever see their like again here?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
Rik e B
May 25, 2016, 3:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
But in that  regard we must also be weary of mercenary has - beens on way down and looking for a last pay day... Paul Warhurst anyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
mariner91
May 25, 2016, 3:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,646
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from jock dock tower
A couple of astute signings from the higher leagues of players coming to the end of their careers would be exactly what is needed to help bed the team back into the Football League. You can't beat genuine quality and experience, and if we could replcate some of the signings Buckley made like that we could be in for a real treat.

Paul Futcher taken from Halifax reserves, Trevor Whymark, Gary Birtles and Chris Nicholl. Jeezo, I salivate now whenever I remember the class they bought onto the pitch at BP. Wonder if we will ever see their like again here?

That doesn't happen regularly these days though. A combination of players not needing the money and the increased pace of the modern game is the reason for it. Look at all the players you mentioned, not one in the last twenty years!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
forza ivano
May 25, 2016, 3:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from jock dock tower

You obviously missed the 40 minutes of pure class that Anthony Straker gave us last season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bold Hurst to be congratulated

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.