November 15, 2020, 2:51pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from aldi_01

flipping hell, do you work for them?

It was a genuine question, the Bennett fiasco nearly cost us money, genuine question ya busy girl private.

What nearly cost us money? You keep bringing this up, but have no facts other than mentioning it was done wrong. When people point out that the board let them stagger the payments rather than a lump sum to allow the sale to go ahead, you seem oblivious to the fact that this would be a good move.

But you just carry on ranting away like a miserable old fornicator, then call me the girl private  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
Poojah
November 15, 2020, 8:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,778
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from pen penfras

What nearly cost us money? You keep bringing this up, but have no facts other than mentioning it was done wrong. When people point out that the board let them stagger the payments rather than a lump sum to allow the sale to go ahead, you seem oblivious to the fact that this would be a good move.

But you just carry on ranting away like a miserable old fornicator, then call me the girl private  

The 'Town got shafted over Bennett' story is one of those odd myths that just keeps on prevailing no matter how many times it is debunked. I think the confusion stems from the fact that Barry Fry attempted, but failed, to buy out the clause just prior to Bennett's sale to Norwich. I believe there was a successful renegotiation of the terms, but this was only to reflect that Town's sell-on fee would be paid at the same instalment rate at which Norwich were due to pay Peterborough. And that's not unreasonable.

Successful negotiation is rarely about getting things 100% your own way - when you insist on that you tend to come away with nothing. In reality, it's about getting as close to your own best case scenario as possible whilst maintaining a workable deal for all concerned parties.

I think I'm right in saying that in the club's 120 odd year history, only John Oster and Gary Croft have earned the club more money from a player's transfer. I'm not sure where that ranks in real terms, but to contstrue it as a failure on our part is just misguided.

I could write a book on the mismanagement that this club has suffered over the course of the last couple of decades, but the sale of Ryan Bennett should not feature as an example.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
diehardmariner
November 16, 2020, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
I think the only potential 'member up' when it comes to Ryan Bennett needs us to ask that had we kept him, would we have stayed up that season?

It's all ifs and buts and using the beauty of hindsight.  Each season cost us £1million whilst in the Conference.  Personally I think we were circling the plughole for too long and would have gone down at some point simply because we were so badly run, from top to bottom.  Had we stayed up that season, it would have only been a matter of time before we dropped.

I think we also had an agreement in place with Bennett when he signed a new deal that summer.   Around the same time we also did very well out of selling Jack Barlow to Hull for £300k.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
diehardmariner
November 16, 2020, 10:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Poojah

I think I'm right in saying that in the club's 120 odd year history, only John Oster and Gary Croft have earned the club more money from a player's transfer. I'm not sure where that ranks in real terms, but to contstrue it as a failure on our part is just misguided.

In 'real terms', I'd say the Shaun Cunnington transfer to Sunderland (£650,000 in 1992) was worth more.  Even better is the fact that we used that money to permanently sign Clive Mendonca (£80,000 I think) and get some lad from Blackpool for £150,000....can't remember his name but he did ok for us.

We also used some of the money to sign Rhys Wilmott too....2 out of 3 ain't bad!
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
jimgtfc
November 16, 2020, 4:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,102
Gold Stars: 46
Steve Bruce was spotted at the Crewe v Peterborough game at the weekend, apparently there to watch Dembele according to some Toon fans. Not sure what he saw though as Peterborough lost for the first time this season.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
promotion plaice
November 16, 2020, 4:57pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from diehardmariner
Around the same time we also did very well out of selling Jack Barlow to Hull for £300k.

£100k.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
aldi_01
November 17, 2020, 6:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the Jack Barlow cash was an excellent deal under the circumstances and may be, just maybe we’d already seen the potential attitude issues, hence the sale.

Going back to Bennett, I don’t think we’d have stayed up had we kept him and if we did, much like that day at Bournemouth, it would only have delayed the inevitable. As folk have said, we hovered around the relegation zone and everyone could see it coming. There’s countless reasons for this but all share part of the blame.

Dembele has clearly improved year on year since leaving us, and if you put yourself in his shoes at the minute, he must think he’s a million miles away from where it started and fair play to the lad.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All looks good for our coffers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.