TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 15, 2021, 10:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

This is a strange example to give. I've not read Rio's book/whatever you've got this from, but I thought Rio was a Londoner, so how is it any sort of sacrifice to travel around London to get to training for a top tier London club?

Off the top of my head; Alan Shearer moved away from Newcastle to join Southampton at the other end of the country as a teen.  David Beckham went to Man United from London too, surely there are many other better examples of sacrifice than Rio's?.  

George Best?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
Rick12
July 15, 2021, 10:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

This is a strange example to give. I've not read Rio's book/whatever you've got this from, but I thought Rio was a Londoner, so how is it any sort of sacrifice to travel around London to get to training for a top tier London club?

Off the top of my head; Alan Shearer moved away from Newcastle to join Southampton at the other end of the country as a teen.  David Beckham went to Man United from London too, surely there are many other better examples of sacrifice than Rio's?.  

Its not strange though .Its just I was born and raised in London and knew youth team players from London who had the opportunity at professional football academy's in the city  but squandered them and got released due to lack of discipline so I can relate to Rio Ferdinand's story.

The book that I read was  Rio Ferdidand # 2 sides .My autobiography (2016).

True what your saying about  Alan  Shearer and David Beckham etc but everyone is different and some have more pitfalls than others to contend. Patrice Evra overcame a fair bit  for one of the top of head amongst others from a newspaper article I remember reading about. Helped by good people along the way. There are others as well who are high profile who overcome a lot as well to make it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/jan/22/newsstory.sport
https://www.planetfootball.com.....ssional-footballers/

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
ex-merseymariner
July 15, 2021, 10:52am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,402
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Rick12
Its not strange though .Its just I was born and raised in London and knew youth team players from London who had the opportunity at professional football academy's in the city  but squandered them and got released due to lack of discipline so I can relate to Rio Ferdinand's story.

True what your saying about  Alan  Shearer and David Beckham etc but everyone is different and some have more pitfalls than others to contend. Patrice Evra overcame a fair bit  for one of the top of head amongst others from a newspaper article I remember reading about. Helped by good people along the way. There are others as well who are high profile who overcome a lot as well to make it.

fair point.  This discussion reminded me of the Tom Bolawinra; Moses Odubajo story, their mum passed away and they were orphaned in their early teens.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
Mallyner
July 15, 2021, 11:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Harry Haddock
Looks like Stefan Payne will be back at BP next season. Signed for Chesterfield  

Ask Morais to man mark him.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 15, 2021, 12:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,310
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Rick12

I played Sunday League with a young kid who was offered terms at Crewe (I lived close to Warrington at the time) and he told me he couldn't be bothered to get the train to Crewe which was around 20  mins away. I nearly offered to drive him there myself!

I wonder if he regrets it now.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
Rick12
July 15, 2021, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker

I played Sunday League with a young kid who was offered terms at Crewe (I lived close to Warrington at the time) and he told me he couldn't be bothered to get the train to Crewe which was around 20  mins away. I nearly offered to drive him there myself!

I would of have loved to have been a professional footballer as Iam sure most on here would. Best I got was playing for my primary school team and B team at high school. Tennis was more my naturally better sport though.

What I love about football is the way it brings people together probably more than any other sport .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 46
Abdul19
July 15, 2021, 1:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 220

Possibly a lucky escape

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
Abdul19
July 15, 2021, 1:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Rick12

True Knut's but as a youngster he was travelling to training 3 times a week to West Ham over a 3 hour round trip on public transport on his own over a fair few years whilst some of his friends couldn't be bothered and took the easy route eg females  and party's. He sacrificed a lot in them early years for the love of the game which is something I deeply admire.

Shrewd by Rio. The females* and parties are so much better when you're a pro (I imagine).

*excrement on it!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
Rick12
July 15, 2021, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

Shrewd by Rio. The females* and parties are so much better when you're a pro (I imagine).

*excrement on it!
I do like him as a football pundit now though. I find him quite funny,direct and passionate . What he achieved  in the professional realms was quality though. One of the best defenders in the world in his prime.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
FishOutOfWater
July 15, 2021, 2:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Abdul19

Possibly a lucky escape

That was my first thought now we know what was going on with the youth development at Crewe
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stefan Payne

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.