5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
July 15, 2021, 3:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

I played Sunday League with a young kid who was offered terms at Crewe (I lived close to Warrington at the time) and he told me he couldn't be bothered to get the train to Crewe which was around 20  mins away. I nearly offered to drive him there myself!

I wonder if he regrets it now.

Maybe with the abuse scandal there he might consider that he dodged a bullet.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
ginnywings
July 15, 2021, 5:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rick12
Its all about the mental discipline. If youve ever played the game Ginny at a competent level eg youth team or at professional academy  you will know  the pitfalls and the dog eat dog culture which exists . Likewise as a youngster which Rio Ferdinand was at the time eg 14 years old or there abouts his brain is still developing and the chances to slip away or be influenced by other distractions are plentiful.Likewise he didnt come from a affluent background but a council estate where the opportunity to slip up was possibly greater eg more drugs/crime for one. I for one have met youth team players who have slipped up and couldn't be bothered with all the pressures and subsequently released as their attitude wasn't right . Easier to go with your friends and drink a bit and chat up to the females and go parting than it is to go a long way into London on your own. I wouldnt knock Rio Ferdinand unless you was in his shoes. Easy to be sarcastic to something when your not experiencing football yourself in all its pain and glory as a football player especially in the professional realms.

Christ, you make it sound like he lived in an African village and had to walk 5 miles to the well and back every morning, instead of someone who lived in one of the most modern cities in the world with a first rate transport system.

I know people who get up every morning about 6 o'clock and travel for 2 hours to work and then the same back at the end of the day, 5 days a week.

When I was 15, I had to get the bus to work every morning and eventually bought a bike from Kays catalogue and biked there instead in all weathers for three years, to get my apprenticeship.

I'm sure there are thousands of footballers who did what Rio did, but never made the grade. That's the way of it.

He's hardly a martyr to the "pain and glory" of being a professional footballer, whatever the hell that means.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
Rick12
July 15, 2021, 7:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings

He's hardly a martyr to the "pain and glory" of being a professional footballer, whatever the hell that means.
Thanks for your input and respect to what you done when you was 15 years old.

As for the martyr to the pain and glory  it means sacrificing things for the greater goal of becoming a professional footballer.To often as noted I've seen directly people who never made it at professional academy's  but had some ability but couldn't be bothered which is a huge shame eg talent wasted .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
RonMariner
July 15, 2021, 11:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,841
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Rick12

What I love about football is the way it brings people together probably more than any other sport .

It did do while England were winning. But as soon as they lost............

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
Rick12
July 16, 2021, 8:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from RonMariner

I think things have improved a bit from years gone by  Ron  particularly in the 1980s when England had a hooligan problem especially when travelling abroad . When speaking to people overseas for example  there is still a stigma  attached to English fans though .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 16, 2021, 1:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RonMariner

Yes Ron but the yobbery was happening before the game too. The Penalties just gave them added excuses.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
livosnose
July 16, 2021, 2:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,182
Gold Stars: 16
Can we get back to slagging off Payne …. .?

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 16, 2021, 7:55pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +880
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from livosnose
Can we get back to slagging off Payne …. .?

Oh, with pleasure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
livosnose
July 16, 2021, 8:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,182
Gold Stars: 16

Oh, with pleasure.

Let’s hope he gets a warm pontoon reception ….

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 16, 2021, 8:52pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +880
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from livosnose

Let’s hope he gets a warm pontoon reception ….

He deserves nothing more than a warm hand on his entrance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stefan Payne

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.