Private Message
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 14, 2023, 8:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,772
Gold Stars: 81
Bit strange at the end of the interview when he says he would like more loans if allowed, why? Seems to conflict with earlier interviews when he said he was looking to make permanent signings!!

I’m not wanting a change of Manager but aside from the clean sheet v Stockport our record since Christmas is to concede 3, then 4 now 5 a problem that clearly needs addressing despite the additional clean sheet v Burton who again failed to score again today and got another tonking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 113
davmariner
January 14, 2023, 9:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
His recruitment needs to improve. It was poor when we returned to the EFL last time we were promoted and hasn’t been good enough again.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 113
Bigdog
January 14, 2023, 9:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Don't know about anyone else, but I've lost a lot of faith in PH over the past dozen games, probably to the point where I 'm starting to believe it's maybe beyond him to get us out of this division. Wasn't expecting promotion, but these long slumps are becoming all too familiar. I've got two more transfer windows and another season of patience in me, but if I were the owner of our club, I'd stop making bold public statements of any manager being here for the long term. Stability can be offered without boxing yourself into a corner..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 113
GhostDan
January 14, 2023, 9:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
“ I 'm starting to believe it's maybe beyond him to get us out of this division.”

Jesus Christ, we are half way into our first season returning to “this division”.

We’d all love to be battling at the top, along with 23 teams who wish the same but let’s get some perspective, a year ago we’d have all snapped a hand off to be back in the league today.  Yeah the recent run of results isn’t what any of us want but give the lads a chance, every transfer window we’ve got slightly better and I’ll be shocked if by Feb 1st that isn’t the case this time aswell.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 113
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2023, 9:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog
Don't know about anyone else, but I've lost a lot of faith in PH over the past dozen games, probably to the point where I 'm starting to believe it's maybe beyond him to get us out of this division. Wasn't expecting promotion, but these long slumps are becoming all too familiar. I've got two more transfer windows and another season of patience in me, but if I were the owner of our club, I'd stop making bold public statements of any manager being here for the long term. Stability can be offered without boxing yourself into a corner..

I’ve actually lost faith in some of the players who need to take some accountability alongside the manager.

To be fair pushing back on Tondour is fair enough as he can’t say one thing one week and another a few weeks later. Odd comment about loans though, I wonder what he meant?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 113
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 14, 2023, 9:30pm
Brandy Drinker
[quote=136845]Don't know about anyone else, but I've lost a lot of faith in PH over the past dozen games, probably to the point where I 'm starting to believe it's maybe beyond him to get us out of this

Think I’d forgotten how disillusioned I became last time he was here when I pretty much stopped going as the football was pretty negative. When he was reappointed I was reasonably happy as I was sure he would keep us up but that obviously didn’t materialise and then those first dozen games last season it was if PH had seen the light and we were going to play this wonderful attacking football. Ultimately we went up in the most dramatic and exciting way possible so all is rosy again but like a minority of others I have been totally unimpressed with his summer recruitment and our style of football particularly at home which has hardly got the juices flowing.

I can accept rebuilding takes time but let’s face it Fatty Evan’s has basically transformed Stevenage overnight so we shouldn’t believe it’s not possible to have higher expectations than mid to low table obscurity just like we endured last time we returned. Many clubs on promotion back to L2 immediately threaten to get promotion again whilst we in all honesty are once again nervously looking over our shoulders once again. Three quality signings could change the whole picture so I will await what happens in this and the next window but I’m not of the opinion that Hurst is irreplaceable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 113
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2023, 9:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Apologies for losing my sh1t earlier but I’m getting pretty fed up of being browbeaten into thinking all is well. It isn’t. My message inbox tells me it isn’t, the on field performances tell me it isn’t, the lack of transparency tells me it isn’t and our recruitment tells me it isn’t.

It’s obviously better than under our previous custodian but, when Lady Luck gives you a leg up, as she did in the playoffs, then you capitalise on it.

We have record ST sales, continued good home gates (amazing given the results), increased revenue from the promotion run and decent cup revenue and our manager now says he wants more loans having said last week that we were looking at permanent deals. In another interview, he said him and Chris didn’t like many players. Well, maybe, not many players like us. That’s how it seems anyway.

We’re now 11 points from the drop, 10 points off the playoffs, our worst position for sometime. Am I panicking? No, not yet. Concerned? Hell yes.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 113
Mikey_345
January 14, 2023, 9:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 108
Starting to think the loans comment is we are trying to get summer targets early so loans with a view to permanent, that would limit what you can do then as we already have 3 (4 if include Kiernan) and we can only select 5.  The complication maybe he wants to bring Kiernan in permanently if that’s the case but that would need to be agreed by Walsall.

Just a theory as can’t believe we’d want to pack the squad with loanees as clear we need to build with some permenant transfers.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 113
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 14, 2023, 9:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Mikey_345
Starting to think the loans comment is we are trying to get summer targets early so loans with a view to permanent, that would limit what you can do then as we already have 3 (4 if include Kiernan) and we can only select 5.  The complication maybe he wants to bring Kiernan in permanently if that’s the case but that would need to be agreed by Walsall.

Just a theory as can’t believe we’d want to pack the squad with loanees as clear we need to build with some permenant transfers.

If we want to sign Kiernan on a permanent basis we don’t have expectations of getting promoted at anytime in the near future!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 113
HerveJosse
January 14, 2023, 9:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
O Neil signing is Hursts 50th in 25 months since his return .How many would you rate a success?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 113
Bigdog
January 14, 2023, 9:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GhostDan
“ I 'm starting to believe it's maybe beyond him to get us out of this division.”

Jesus Christ, we are half way into our first season returning to “this division”.

We’d all love to be battling at the top, along with 23 teams who wish the same but let’s get some perspective, a year ago we’d have all snapped a hand off to be back in the league today.  Yeah the recent run of results isn’t what any of us want but give the lads a chance, every transfer window we’ve got slightly better and I’ll be shocked if by Feb 1st that isn’t the case this time aswell.  

I'm quite capable of using my own perspection even if it differs to yours. My prediction is that we'll be talking about the same things in two years time if PH is still the manager.. Bookmark this and shove it down my throat if we get promoted in the meantime..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 113
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2023, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GhostDan

Give the lads a chance? Like Alex Hunt for example?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 113
chaos33
January 14, 2023, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Sorry, thought you’d gone 😉

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 113
Bigdog
January 14, 2023, 9:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’ve actually lost faith in some of the players who need to take some accountability alongside the manager.

To be fair pushing back on Tondour is fair enough as he can’t say one thing one week and another a few weeks later. Odd comment about loans though, I wonder what he meant?

Does Hurst provide you as a fan with any motivation? If it doesn't, how does it translate to the training ground when players are a bit low on confidence. I think we're short in one or two areas, but do I think Hurst is getting the best tune out of the abilities in the squad? Probably not. The dour plain speaking Yorkshireman persona is getting on my titts at the minute..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 113
Rodley Mariner
January 14, 2023, 9:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from HerveJosse
O Neil signing is Hursts 50th in 25 months since his return .How many would you rate a success?

Enough to have won promotion 6 months ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 113
Bigdog
January 14, 2023, 9:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

A shocking statistic. More like whack a mole than squad building..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 113
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2023, 9:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Does Hurst provide you as a fan with any motivation? If it doesn't, how does it translate to the training ground when players are a bit low on confidence. I think we're short in one or two areas, but do I think Hurst is getting the best tune out of the abilities in the squad? Probably not. The dour plain speaking Yorkshireman persona is getting on my titts at the minute..

His persona managed to get players to run through brick walls for the last 3 games of last season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 113
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2023, 10:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

You probably have to take into account that other than a handful of players he had to replace the donkey’s Holloway left behind.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 113
Bigdog
January 14, 2023, 10:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

His persona managed to get players to run through brick walls for the last 3 games of last season.

Yep.. lets dine out on that for the next few seasons while we stand still and attendances drop..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 113
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2023, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

They did. They rode a wave of momentum that gave us one of the craziest fortnights that will probably never be repeated. They probably earned the right to the new contracts that many of them were given.

In a way, that may be the problem. We were left with a squad full of lower League 2/higher level National League players. Good wingers in League 2 are too good for our full backs. Strikers with pace are too quick for Waterfall and Maher, a strong striker has too much presence for Smith.

Our owners talk about continuing improvement. The last window didn’t. This one needs to. We’re looking the wrong way again - down not up.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 113
Mikey_345
January 14, 2023, 10:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 108
Quoted from Bigdog

A shocking statistic. More like whack a mole than squad building..

You do realise that in that time he’s had to:

1) Try and keep a side up - Making changes from Holloway’s mess. Almost an entire new squad..
2) Then when we went down, restructure and put together a side for non league.
3) Following that been a success had to get one together for L2. In a short window and ahead of schedule…

Have a day off pal.

I get people have their problems with Hurst. But let’s try keep some perspective and not completely re-write history or the circumstances we’ve been in.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 113
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2023, 10:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Yep.. lets dine out on that for the next few seasons while we stand still and attendances drop..

I wasn’t actually doing that but was making a point that him the past he’s motivated players to do well, like they did versus Stockport & Burton recently.

Just because you don’t like his tone in an interview you can’t credibly state an argument that the players feel the same way in training, unless you’re joining in the sessions or have open dialogue with several players which I assume you’re not doing either.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 113
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2023, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I wasn’t actually doing that but was making a point that him the past he’s motivated players to do well, like they did versus Stockport & Burton recently.

Just because you don’t like his tone in an interview you can’t credibly state an argument that the players feel the same way in training, unless you’re joining in the sessions or have open dialogue with several players which I assume you’re not doing either.

Let’s just take those 1-0 wins as a snapshot of our season. I know you don’t get to every game, nor do I, but I can’t remember a single game this season that we’ve dominated. Most of our wins have been by the odd goal. Not once have we put a team to the sword - especially at home.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 113
Rodley Mariner
January 14, 2023, 10:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Let’s just take those 1-0 wins as a snapshot of our season. I know you don’t get to every game, nor do I, but I can’t remember a single game this season that we’ve dominated. Most of our wins have been by the odd goal. Not once have we put a team to the sword - especially at home.

Furthest we've gone in the cup in more than 20 years and still a decent chance it will be our highest league finish in about 15 though. We drunk on Crawley and Crewe at home as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 113
chaos33
January 14, 2023, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Plymouth?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 113
Rodley Mariner
January 14, 2023, 10:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
So we've only won comfortably at home three times this season and only one of those was against the team who are top of the division above us. Absolutely disgusting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 113
Hagrid
January 14, 2023, 10:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,485
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Plymouth, Crewe, Crawley, Colchester away.

Rare to dominate a game for 90 minutes though, we are Grimsby Town, not Real Madrid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 113
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2023, 10:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
So we've only won comfortably at home three times this season and only one of those was against the team who are top of the division above us. Absolutely disgusting.

Apologies. I missed out the words ‘in the league’. And we certainly didn’t urine on Crawley. Tranmere was possibly our most convincing league win.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 113
Rodley Mariner
January 14, 2023, 10:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Apologies. I missed out the words ‘in the league’. And we certainly didn’t urine on Crawley. Tranmere was possibly our most convincing league win.

Oh we're not counting cups or 3-0 wins? How does taking the most negative possible stance on everything tend to work out for you out of interest?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 113
ginnywings
January 14, 2023, 10:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Probably wants more loans as it's the only way he can replace some of the plodders in the team without spending a fortune on fees and wages.

I'm sort of torn at the moment as I still support PH and think, as I did last season, that he needs to be given the window to see if he can sort out our problems, but also asking myself why everything seems to take forever with him and why we keep having these long bad patches at regular intervals.

As mentioned earlier, Evans has totally transformed Stevenage in quick time from perennial relegation strugglers, to top three.

I'm not enjoying the footy to be honest, but trying to remain positive and give the club the benefit of the doubt in rebuilding things after a long time in the doldrums. On the other hand, my brother has already stopped attending, saying he's bored sh1tless by it all and he's not a fan of the manager. He says he's boring and negative and no matter how long we give him and how many players he signs, he'll still be negative and boring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 113
GrimPol
January 14, 2023, 10:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoting Lincoln Mariner 56    "I can accept rebuilding takes time but let’s face it Fatty Evan’s has basically transformed Stevenage overnight so we shouldn’t believe it’s not possible to have higher expectations than mid to low table obscurity just like we endured last time we returned. Many clubs on promotion back to L2 immediately threaten to get promotion again whilst we in all honesty are once again nervously looking over our shoulders once again. Three quality signings could change the whole picture so I will await what happens in this and the next window but I’m not of the opinion that Hurst is irreplaceable."

This isn't a game of Football manager, and you cannot click a few keys and change the team.
Interviewing a Real Manager about a Real Thumping where he cannot say "all is hunky dory but the ref let us down to the team are cr@p and should be shot. On the one hand he needs a bit of credibility, on the other the team he just called cr@p has to play Harrogate and he needs to keep them on his side. We have 22 games to go, or 66 potential points.
By all means, vent your spleen today, but reflect tomorrow and by Monday back the lads. It is time for cool heads.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 113
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2023, 10:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Oh we're not counting cups or 3-0 wins? How does taking the most negative possible stance on everything tend to work out for you out of interest?

I said games I’ve seen. Didn’t see the 3-0. I’m not sure that wanting us to be better is negative by the way.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 113
Rodley Mariner
January 14, 2023, 10:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I said games I’ve seen. Didn’t see the 3-0. I’m not sure that wanting us to be better is negative by the way.

Every single fan wants us to be better. We're all drunk off we got stuffed today but you are unrelentingly negative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 113
arryarryarry
January 14, 2023, 10:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You probably have to take into account that other than a handful of players he had to replace the donkey’s Holloway left behind.

To be fair he brought in what was it 12 players and ended up with a worse record than Holloway's donkeys that season.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 113
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2023, 10:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Every single fan wants us to be better. We're all drunk off we got stuffed today but you are unrelentingly negative.

I want us to improve. We haven’t. We’ve gained 7 points out of 30 mostly because our methodology depended on a forward who most slated who is now injured.

It might be negative to you, it’s reality to me. We could have kicked on and should have kicked on (positively) but we haven’t. I suspect I know why.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
January 14, 2023, 11:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Barring the amazing play off success which we will treasure forever, Hurst's actual win record isn't that great is it, even in non league or league 2.

Im still not sure of his philosophy,his best formation or his preferred style which must make identifying and attracting players more difficult.

We are on the back foot again now, halfway through the window with it all to do.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 113
ginnywings
January 14, 2023, 11:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I want us to improve. We haven’t. We’ve gained 7 points out of 30 mostly because our methodology depended on a forward who most slated who is now injured.

It might be negative to you, it’s reality to me. We could have kicked on and should have kicked on (positively) but we haven’t. I suspect I know why.

I have to say that you do seem very negative about things this season, more so than i can remember  you being in past seasons, even in the darkest days of JF's reign. Not a criticism by the way.

You seem to be making veiled references to things not being right behind the scenes, or am I mistaken?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 113
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2023, 11:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Barring the amazing play off success which we will treasure forever, Hurst's actual win record isn't that great is it, even in non league or league 2.

Im still not sure of his philosophy,his best formation or his preferred style which must make identifying and attracting players more difficult.

We are on the back foot again now, halfway through the window with it all to do.

I’m still behind PH but I’m not sure he knows his best 11. We have very little identity.

I get his point about juggling as it feels like the squad we’ve got needs more surgery than anticipated as well as having to bring in a striker it feels like we need a defensive rebuild.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 113
MarinerDevil
January 14, 2023, 11:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,802
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from ginnywings

You seem to be making veiled references to things not being right behind the scenes, or am I mistaken?

A few posters have been doing that all season. While I wouldn't want to them to say anything daft and get themselves in trouble, I think we need to know if it's a serious problem. It either needs addressing at the fans forum, or perhaps Matt Dean could be given the information so that it's dealt with professionally.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 113
Davec
January 14, 2023, 11:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from MarinerDevil

A few posters have been doing that all season. While I wouldn't want to them to say anything daft and get themselves in trouble, I think we need to know if it's a serious problem. It either needs addressing at the fans forum, or perhaps Matt Dean could be given the information so that it's dealt with professionally.

Talking of the fans forum, I think this might be cancelled again as it is the day before the FA Cup game, if we play Luton then surely we would travel down the day before? Which would mean the fans forum won't go ahead as Hurst won't be available
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 113
promotion plaice
January 14, 2023, 11:55pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,079
Gold Stars: 201

Hurst sounded a bit like he was under pressure to me, who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 113
Bigdog
January 15, 2023, 1:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Plymouth, Crewe, Crawley, Colchester away.

Rare to dominate a game for 90 minutes though, we are Grimsby Town, not Real Madrid

Not a chance. Tight game, both sides were crapp. But.. you did miss out Newport away and Cambridge in the cup..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 113
GhostDan
January 15, 2023, 4:17am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Give the lads a chance? Like Alex Hunt for example?

Not sure how you’ve taken a comment about PH and shoe horned Alex Hunt not playing into that but fair enough.

For what it’s worth I’d like to have seen Hunt play more and I think we will, especially if Morris is going to Hartlepool bur that’s totally beside any point about our progression or management.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 113
lukeo
January 15, 2023, 6:33am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149

I must be in the minority in saying this but I didn't or don't expect him to. Well, not for a few years anyway. I want us to slowly build the club properly on and off the pitch. I'd settle for being top end of league 2 next season and then look to aim for the play offs the season after etc. Let's be realistic. Look at the size of some clubs and the money being thrown around in this divisions.. some people need to come back down to earth and realise we are a league 2 club. Anything above we'll be punching above our weights, anything below we're under achieving.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 113
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2023, 7:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

I must be in the minority in saying this but I didn't or don't expect him to. Well, not for a few years anyway. I want us to slowly build the club properly on and off the pitch. I'd settle for being top end of league 2 next season and then look to aim for the play offs the season after etc. Let's be realistic. Look at the size of some clubs and the money being thrown around in this divisions.. some people need to come back down to earth and realise we are a league 2 club. Anything above we'll be punching above our weights, anything below we're under achieving.

I would be happy to see on field stability too. Mid table would be fine but if we have another run of 10 games with an average of less than a point per game, we’re in trouble.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 113
lukeo
January 15, 2023, 8:19am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I would be happy to see on field stability too. Mid table would be fine but if we have another run of 10 games with an average of less than a point per game, we’re in trouble.

I totally agree but thats hyperthetical. It might not happen.
If we continue this poor form and just about stay safe above the relegation zone, then yes the board must consider whether PH is our man. But again, it's hyperthetical. It could swing the other way and we go on a fantastic run.

Aslong as we pick up points and stay well away we need to back the players, manager etc. Then asses the situation at the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 113
GrimRob
January 15, 2023, 8:47am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
We would have been playing in the FA Trophy yesterday but for the events of six months ago. We only finished sixth last year and were a long way behind the top two so the squad we had was nowhere near the level to compete a league higher. It's going to take time to build a competitive team in this division. Unless we get a helping hand from a plum fa cup draw.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 113
aldi_01
January 15, 2023, 8:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
In reality, nobody knew what we were gonna get this year.

Of course, we aimed for the playoffs last year but our club was in such a state most folk with half a brain expected at least 2 seasons in the conference to create some stability and reciting the many many problems at the club, on and off the pitch.

I’d say we’re a year or two in front of the long term plan so this year has thrown everything slightly off kilter…

We’ll finish mid table, simple as that. Perhaps we could ask questions next year if we’re still inconsistent but even then, we know stability goes from top to bottom and it’s no coincidence that teams with a stable manager end up rising eventually, fans just need some patience…something many a man baby at GTFC hasn’t got…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 113
ska face
January 15, 2023, 8:53am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Davec

Talking of the fans forum, I think this might be cancelled again as it is the day before the FA Cup game, if we play Luton then surely we would travel down the day before? Which would mean the fans forum won't go ahead as Hurst won't be available

Hurst was never on the panel, was always Stockwood, Pettit & Cook
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 113
diehardmariner
January 15, 2023, 11:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
No two ways about, this is excrement at the minute.

Perhaps many of us have had rose tinted glasses put on his when it comes to Hurst because largely what came in between his two spells was farcical. Hurst isn't entertaining but he's steady as hell and I think most of us missed that when he wasn't here.

A lack of entertainment is easier to digest when you're grinding results out at the right end of the table.

But to say he's not capable in this division us ludicrous.  He left us in a very decent position in 2016, one which I don't think we've managed to reach since.

This season has disappointed but we're as close to the play-offs as we are the relegation spots. Granted, we look poor and improvement is difficult to see at present. But he's got two weeks left to strengthen his pack.

There's a huge glaring error in his recruitment this season and it's that he's failed to bring in viable alternatives to McAtee and Taylor. Huge gamble that they would stay fit and on fire, at the same time. They haven't. It backfired and we're looking shabby as a result. The Richardson, Simmonds of the world would have been nice additions to a strikeforce, rather than the expectation that they're the strikeforce.

He addresses that in the next two weeks and everything looks very different. Nothing sticks up top and there's no outlet at all. It doesn't matter how good your midfield and defence is, eventually they get ground down by the ball coming straight back at them. It affects confidence, it affects the way you play the ball, it affects how and where you pass the ball.

A proper striker arrives on Monday morning and everything is vastly different. O'Neill impressed me yesterday, he's like Richardson but as if he's played mens football before. More physical, more aware and just got that little bit more edge about him.

It's a huge two weeks for our season and for Hurst too.  But let's not pretend he can't and hasn't brought good players, indeed good strikers, in before. I believe he needs to adjust his remit to bring the right person in and perhaps even swallow some pride a little. Not everyone will want to buy into the bigger picture, but that can come later.

Take what he says in his press conferences with the smallest pinches of salt you can. I think we'll have a couple of new faces in the building for the Harrogate game.

If he doesn't address the issue and this season just fizzles out, then is the right time to ask serious questions of him. I don't believe it's fair to fully judge him in January and I'm absolutely certain 1878 won't be doing that either.  Not judging someone at this stage doesn't mean you can't have a degree of scrutiny and expectation though.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 113
January 15, 2023, 11:22am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner
His recruitment needs to improve. It was poor when we returned to the EFL last time we were promoted and hasn’t been good enough again.

You really don't have a clue, do you?

Reply: 51 - 113
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 11:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

. I believe he needs to adjust his remit to bring the right person in and perhaps even swallow some pride a little. Not everyone will want to buy into the bigger picture, but that can come later.

I thought your post was spot on and pulled out this bit, I’ve always thought that he made reference to this in terms of how easily a player would integrate, their work ethic and that they would fit with the rest of the group, I’ve never considered that we’d approach a player to buy into anything other than that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 113
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2023, 2:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from 123614

You really don't have a clue, do you?

Doesn’t he? I don’t recall any of PH’s signings, other than Danny Andrew, being anything special in 2016 and that’s pretty much the same scenario this season, which player brought in this last summer would be sorely missed if he moved on? I can’t think of one.

As I said last night we have players who give total commitment but sadly we don’t have anyone that would be regarded as one of the L2’s better players in their respective position.

I would add that signing 2 or 3 quality players can quickly change not only our views as supporters but our opinions on the quality of our current players as they may well look very different if we had a forward capable of holding the ball up and providing a physical presence, a midfield player capable of running a game at this level and a player who sticks away the odd chance.

Football changes very quickly, as does our opinions, what some of us fear is that we end up sliding down the league once again and those that think we can’t possibly end up in a relegation battle have very short memories.

Here’s hoping those new recruits arrive shortly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 113
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2023, 3:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Doesn’t he? I don’t recall any of PH’s signings, other than Danny Andrew, being anything special in 2016 and that’s pretty much the same scenario this season, which player brought in this last summer would be sorely missed if he moved on? I can’t think of one.

As I said last night we have players who give total commitment but sadly we don’t have anyone that would be regarded as one of the L2’s better players in their respective position.

I would add that signing 2 or 3 quality players can quickly change not only our views as supporters but our opinions on the quality of our current players as they may well look very different if we had a forward capable of holding the ball up and providing a physical presence, a midfield player capable of running a game at this level and a player who sticks away the odd chance.

Football changes very quickly, as does our opinions, what some of us fear is that we end up sliding down the league once again and those that think we can’t possibly end up in a relegation battle have very short memories.

Good post - I think we'd maybe miss Khan - which is notable in itself as he was the only signing who was regularly playing League 2 last season.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 113
Davec
January 15, 2023, 3:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from ska face

Hurst was never on the panel, was always Stockwood, Pettit & Cook

https://gtfc.co.uk/fans-forum-in-january/

This article states Hurst also
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 113
Spurn boy
January 15, 2023, 3:56pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
Let’s just have a bit of reflection here, this time last season we were going nowhere, yesterday’s result was bad but the performance even worse as we could have conceded at least 3 more goals than we did and only the woodwork and Crocombe prevented that, I know we went down to 10 men but Amos was constantly been beaten by Hutton before he was sent off. The team did us proud getting us promoted but it’s now obvious this team isn’t strong enough for this league and I think after listening to the PH interview on BBC he knows this as well and realises it’s not just a forward we need but midfielders and a couple of defenders. I think after watching O’Neill yesterday he shows a bit of promise for us.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 113
January 15, 2023, 4:13pm
Guest User
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

So, let me explain.  Again, I have said this many times, you can only sign players that want to come here.  If they have a better offer, then they will most likely take that offer up.  If they are from the deep south, they are more likely to accept an offer from that area rather than in the Grimsby area.  I could go on and on about reasons why PH can't get his man, but what's the point, people just seem to think he can snap his fingers and several players will come running to sign for him. I don't understand why so may 'educated' people cannot grasp that, it's not rocket science.  Even a players wife might insist he goes to X instead of Y.  There are a myriad of reasons why PH cannot get who he wants.  

Reply: 57 - 113
pen penfras
January 15, 2023, 4:27pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 123614

So, let me explain.  Again, I have said this many times, you can only sign players that want to come here.  If they have a better offer, then they will most likely take that offer up.  If they are from the deep south, they are more likely to accept an offer from that area rather than in the Grimsby area.  I could go on and on about reasons why PH can't get his man, but what's the point, people just seem to think he can snap his fingers and several players will come running to sign for him. I don't understand why so may 'educated' people cannot grasp that, it's not rocket science.  Even a players wife might insist he goes to X instead of Y.  There are a myriad of reasons why PH cannot get who he wants.  

You're right, there are. But money rules above all else. Wrexham is a shithole too, but they aren't having problems signing people because they pay money. And there in lies the real issue, nothing has changed regarding the playing budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 113
smokey111
January 15, 2023, 4:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,360
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from pen penfras

You're right, there are. But money rules above all else. Wrexham is a shithole too, but they aren't having problems signing people because they pay money. And there in lies the real issue, nothing has changed regarding the playing budget.

You are categorically wrong. The budget, solely on the players and NOT including the additional support staff, is around 25% higher than 2020/1.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 4:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Of course we are in competition with other clubs but that is the point. Hurst himself has signed an incredible number of players from all over the country so getting players isn't a problem, it's getting the players that will really improve the team.

Guess what? Players will move where the best offer is. League 2 players haven't got a choice of some wonderful destinations that their missus approves of, they will go where they are wanted and can get the best deal.

There are indeed all sorts of reasons why players don't come, but just like from Barrow to Crawley we have to overcome them.

Hurst always seems shocked about what players are asking in wages, but that is the going rate. We don't pay it then they go somewhere else but he prefers to play cat and mouse which may or may not work.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 113
Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2023, 4:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from pen penfras

Wrexham, as a town is a dump, but it has Liverpool and Blackpool on its doorstep, Grimsby has Hull and Cleethorpes...
So c'mon then, if nothings changed give us some figures, can you compare between the third Reichs campaign and 1878s?..when did the JSF pay a fee for a player?..
Our biggest hurdle is location, its unfashionable and rundown, christ anybody hitting the A180 will hit Geat Coates roundabout and head back west!..
Now, unless you can sell snow to an Eskimo, its nigh on impossible to sell grimsby to anyone south of Derby, so its not all about the money, not at our level anyway
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 113
chaos33
January 15, 2023, 4:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Of course we are in competition with other clubs but that is the point. Hurst himself has signed an incredible number of players from all over the country so getting players isn't a problem, it's getting the players that will really improve the team.

Guess what? Players will move where the best offer is. League 2 players haven't got a choice of some wonderful destinations that their missus approves of, they will go where they are wanted and can get the best deal.

There are indeed all sorts of reasons why players don't come, but just like from Barrow to Crawley we have to overcome them.

Hurst always seems shocked about what players are asking in wages, but that is the going rate. We don't pay it then they go somewhere else but he prefers to play cat and mouse which may or may not work.

Can you give an example of where he’s seemed ‘surprised by what players want in wages’?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 4:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Wrexham, as a town is a dump, but it has Liverpool and Blackpool on its doorstep, Grimsby has Hull and Cleethorpes...
So c'mon then, if nothings changed give us some figures, can you compare between the third Reichs campaign and 1878s?..when did the JSF pay a fee for a player?..
Our biggest hurdle is location, its unfashionable and rundown, christ anybody hitting the A180 will hit Geat Coates roundabout and head back west!..
Now, unless you can sell snow to an Eskimo, its nigh on impossible to sell grimsby to anyone south of Derby, so its not all about the money, not at our level anyway

So how come we sign so many players from south of Derby? There are so many examples to choose from even in the present squad.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 113
pen penfras
January 15, 2023, 4:52pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from smokey111

You are categorically wrong. The budget, solely on the players and NOT including the additional support staff, is around 25% higher than 2020/1.

You mean the Covid season when all the players took a 25% pay cut? So you're saying the budget is basically the same as 2018/19?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 113
Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2023, 4:59pm
Whiskey Drinker

So how come we sign so many players from south of Derby? There are so many examples to choose from even in the present squad.

One we took from another club whilst under contract?..one who had a choice of another club?..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 5:16pm
Vodka Drinker

One we took from another club whilst under contract?..one who had a choice of another club?..

We sign players from all over England all the time. South of Derby and all points of the compass.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 113
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 5:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Players tend to be valued on an individual basis I’m not sure if there is anything such as a going rate. We all know whether it’s a footballer, house, car or aunt Flossie’s antique vase the value a seller sees in something is generally more than the buyer so sometimes the buyer drops out, especially if they can’t afford it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 113
pen penfras
January 15, 2023, 5:18pm

Cocktail Drinker

Wrexham to Liverpool is about a 50 minute drive Grimsby to Sheffield is a bit more than an hour. Yes, it's closer, but not by much at all in terms of time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 113
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 15, 2023, 5:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555

Why do I have a sense of déjà vu?

As I explained to you three months ago, three months before that and again, three months before that; Barrow train in Knutsford. The players and staff only have to travel up to Cumbria and back once every fortnight.

Crawley may be a shïthole but it’s just outside of London.

Poor geography can be countered to a degree by footballing reasons but the obstacle is usually overcome by throwing money at it (Newcastle, Anzhi etc).

This is unsustainable for a club like Grimsby. We can’t throw massive wages at everyone so we are always going to be a weaker pull than other L2 teams.

Location is so important. For instance, if I was a young black player, my friends and family would probably be black and that’s who I would predominantly socialise with. Over one-third of EFL players are black. Compare that with the population of Grimsby with roughly 0.75% identifying as black and I would imagine the figures for the rest of Lincolnshire would show an even greater disparity.

Til the next time…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 113
Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2023, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker

We sign players from all over England all the time. South of Derby and all points of the compass.

You're missing the point Lew, I'm on about enticing players to Grimsby who do not have other offers, when we go head to head with other clubs for a players signature, who was the last player to chose us over somebody else?..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 113
smokey111
January 15, 2023, 5:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,360
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from pen penfras

You mean the Covid season when all the players took a 25% pay cut? So you're saying the budget is basically the same as 2018/19?

Apologies, the last pre Covid season. It is actually close to 30% more on just playing staff.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 6:25pm
Vodka Drinker

You're missing the point Lew, I'm on about enticing players to Grimsby who do not have other offers, when we go head to head with other clubs for a players signature, who was the last player to chose us over somebody else?..

I know what you mean but I have heard this since Adam was a lad. They won't come to Grimsby they cry. But they do; season after season, from affluent areas, from poor areas, from every part of the UK from Torquay to Carlisle.

Hull attracts players, as do Scunthorpe. The better you are doing, and the better wages you can pay, the better quality the player. But they come.

At this particular time, we will not be on a player's wish list for various reasons, just like many clubs. So many factors are in play, but the main ones are who wants them, and what each club is offering in terms of wages and length of the contract. Other factors might include what they have heard on the grapevine, the manager, the facilities and lots of other things.

We are talking about league 2 standard players; they do not have a smorgasbord of clubs to choose from so it might be a choice of us or, say Barrow or any other club in league 2, that is if they have a choice at all.

We have to match or beat the other club if we are in competition with them. If we won't do that, then they will go elsewhere. It has always been thus, hasn't it?

Private Message
Reply: 72 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 6:31pm
Vodka Drinker

Why do I have a sense of déjà vu?

As I explained to you three months ago, three months before that and again, three months before that; Barrow train in Knutsford. The players and staff only have to travel up to Cumbria and back once every fortnight.

Crawley may be a shïthole but it’s just outside of London.

Poor geography can be countered to a degree by footballing reasons but the obstacle is usually overcome by throwing money at it (Newcastle, Anzhi etc).

This is unsustainable for a club like Grimsby. We can’t throw massive wages at everyone so we are always going to be a weaker pull than other L2 teams.

Location is so important. For instance, if I was a young black player, my friends and family would probably be black and that’s who I would predominantly socialise with. Over one-third of EFL players are black. Compare that with the population of Grimsby with roughly 0.75% identifying as black and I would imagine the figures for the rest of Lincolnshire would show an even greater disparity.

Til the next time…

Yes till next time. I have explained to you countless times that GTFC signs players from all over the country, and always have done, and always will. Funnily enough, we have signed players of all ethnicities as well.

Private Message
Reply: 73 - 113
It Bites
January 15, 2023, 6:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266
All this players won't come to Grimsby because of the town is a load of Bollox . The country side around Louth and all along the wolds is stunning , which is a 20 min ride away .
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 113
Phil the cod
January 15, 2023, 6:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Hurst's game plan for every week is to defend and hope to nick a goal on the break, wether it be home or away this negative approach doesn't change.
This year was the first time ever I've bought a season ticket,along with maybe 3000 other people.
This was bought on the presumption we would kick on from our hard fought and sometimes unbelievably lucky promotion.
We keep being told money is available to Hurst for a decent centre forward yet we cannot find one despite every other tinpot club in this division being able to.
A lot of first time season ticket holders have no intention of renewing next year judging by what I'm being told, now as an owner of a football club this would worry me.
I'll reserve judgement until the window closes in two weeks time, but if we don't get at least two quality forwards through the door then we need to seriously look at what's happening.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 113
Rodley Mariner
January 15, 2023, 6:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
All this players won't come to Grimsby because of the town is a load of Bollox . The country side around Louth and all along the wolds is stunning , which is a 20 min ride away .

The most commonly asked question by young footballers considering a move - "what is the quality of the local countryside like within a 20 minute bike ride".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 113
psgmariner
January 15, 2023, 6:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

The most commonly asked question by young footballers considering a move - "what is the quality of the local countryside like within a 20 minute bike ride".

Followed closely by what percentage of people are black in the area where the ground is….

Location is an excuse. It’s money, that’s it.

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 113
Phil the cod
January 15, 2023, 6:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from It Bites

I don't think your average 25  year old footballer is interested in nature and the rural environment tbf.
But your point about players going to remote clubs is valid, look how good a side Carlisle have, for example.
And that place really is remote, so the who would come to Grimsby argument is bullshit.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 113
aldi_01
January 15, 2023, 6:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Phil the cod

I don't think your average 25  year old footballer is interested in nature and the rural environment tbf.
But your point about players going to remote clubs is valid, look how good a side Carlisle have, for example.
And that place really is remote, so the who would come to Grimsby argument is bullshit.

It probably is bullshit, I’d say the previous reputation of the club is a massive factor…plenty of folk have alluded to the perception of the club under the previous regime, mud sticks so I’d imagine, and in fact known it a factor.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 113
January 15, 2023, 6:58pm
Brandy Drinker

Yes till next time. I have explained to you countless times that GTFC signs players from all over the country, and always have done, and always will. Funnily enough, we have signed players of all ethnicities as well.

Of course we have. Nobody is disputing that.

But we will rarely be a player’s first choice. The more desirable players will have other options which is why recruitment is so difficult for us. It gets harder every year.

Grimsby and Lincs have a lot of positives but very little for the average twenty-something footballer.

Likewise, you could offer to treble my salary and I still wouldn’t move back to the east coast because, in terms of what I spend my income on (food, travel, culture), there is very little for me over there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 113
psgmariner
January 15, 2023, 7:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker

But we will rarely be a player’s first choice. The more desirable players will have other options which is why recruitment is so difficult for us. It gets harder every year.

Grimsby and Lincs have a lot of positives but very little for the average twenty-something footballer.

Likewise, you could offer to treble my salary and I still wouldn’t move back to the east coast because, in terms of what I spend my income on (food, travel, culture), there is very little for me over there.

Don’t know where you live but if someone offered to treble your salary and move to Leeds or Sheffield I’m sure you would be tempted. You don’t have to live in Grimsby (or louth!) to play for Grimsby. I doubt more than a few of our first 11 do.

Private Message
Reply: 81 - 113
January 15, 2023, 7:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

Don’t know where you live but if someone offered to treble your salary and move to Leeds or Sheffield I’m sure you would be tempted. You don’t have to live in Grimsby (or louth!) to play for Grimsby. I doubt more than a few of our first 11 do.

You can’t commute from Leeds to Grimsby.

Sheffield is pushing it but I know some of our players / management do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 7:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod

Somebody will come along in a minute putting you right. Carlisle will be perfect for league 2 players everywhere from Lands end to John o groats. Why, they would even go there if our terms were better than theirs. There might even be a higher ethnic population to encourage black players lol
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 113
psgmariner
January 15, 2023, 7:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Course you can! I did it (the other way round) admittedly only 2 days a week. 1.5 hours is f all is the money is good. Footballers in the depths of the football league don’t sign long deals so loads of them travel. Paul Hurst commuted to Shrewsbury from Rotherham ffs.

Private Message
Reply: 84 - 113
Rodley Mariner
January 15, 2023, 7:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Money will be a massive factor but they'll be like any other person and it will be a mix of things. Will be different for different players as well. Chances to progress and improve, whether they're a good employer, what the set up is like, do you trust/like the new boss will all play a part alongside geography and money like I assume they would for most of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 113
jamesgtfc
January 15, 2023, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Location is very valid when you consider that a footballer reaches their prime at around 28 years old. Barrow is remote but they train in Manchester. If you were 18-28, single and had no kids, I think you would choose living and training in and around Manchester over Grimsby unless our wage offer was significantly higher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 113
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 7:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I think it is clear that we are not going to be outbidding other teams in terms of fees and wages, so coupled with our location, it's going to be tough to convince players to choose us over others who have more to offer young players.

We can say until we are blue in the face that all it takes is money, but the board have told us they are not going to do that, so we are shopping in a limited market.

It's a question of sustainability versus quick results and it seems the board prefer the first option and want to play the long game. We either support them or we don't, but constantly going round in circles arguing about it isn't going to change anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 113
Phil the cod
January 15, 2023, 7:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I think it is clear that we are not going to be outbidding other teams in terms of fees and wages, so coupled with our location, it's going to be tough to convince players to choose us over others who have more to offer young players.

We can say until we are blue in the face that all it takes is money, but the board have told us they are not going to do that, so we are shopping in a limited market.

It's a question of sustainability versus quick results and it seems the board prefer the first option and want to play the long game. We either support them or we don't, but constantly going round in circles arguing about it isn't going to change anything.

Why can't we offer better wages, we are getting 3 x the fans than some of these "massive" clubs like Salford.
We won't spend it, not can't spend it.
The fans really do need to wake up and smell the coffee, we are being taken for a ride.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 113
January 15, 2023, 7:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod

Why can't we offer better wages, we are getting 3 x the fans than some of these "massive" clubs like Salford.
The fans really do need to wake up and smell the coffee, we are being taken for a ride.

Salford are owned by a billionaire!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 7:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I think the owners need to wake up then sharpish.

Fans aren't going to keep buying season tickets on the assumption we are shopping in a limited market.

A club of our size should be making a fist of it in league 2 - indeed they said we would not be making the numbers up.

Steady progression is great, but they also have to be realistic about the costs of getting better players in.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 113
chaos33
January 15, 2023, 7:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Somebody will come along in a minute putting you right. Carlisle will be perfect for league 2 players everywhere from Lands end to John o groats. Why, they would even go there if our terms were better than theirs. There might even be a higher ethnic population to encourage black players lol

What on earth are you talking about?!?!?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 113
psgmariner
January 15, 2023, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

I assume it relating to the odd ball comment about black players earlier in the thread.

Private Message
Reply: 92 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

I'm mocking Knuts post intimating that players won't come to Grimsby,  especially black ones because we are not ethnically diverse enough.

Private Message
Reply: 93 - 113
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 7:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Phil the cod

Exactly. They won't spend money that will put the club in financial peril.

That way lies Scunny, or even worse, Bury.

I'm sure the Bury fans loved it when they were bringing in players they couldn't really afford and ripping up the league, but I bet they wish they still had a league club more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 113
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 7:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic

I think the owners need to wake up then sharpish.

Fans aren't going to keep buying season tickets on the assumption we are shopping in a limited market.

A club of our size should be making a fist of it in league 2 - indeed they said we would not be making the numbers up.

Steady progression is great, but they also have to be realistic about the costs of getting better players in.

They don't "have to" or "need to" do anything just because some fans think they should.

My point is that whether you, me or anybody else thinks that they should be doing xyz is irrelevant. They have a long term plan and rightly or wrongly they are going to stick to it.

You and others keep saying that players will come if they chuck money at it, but they have said they won't do that in preference of long term sustainability and we either support their vision or we don't. We don't have a say in it, just like we didn't when JF was head honcho. They fund the club and they decide how to run it.

If fans say they will stop attending if they don't splash the cash, then that's their prerogative.

Constantly arguing about budgets and player acquisition is fruitless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 113
HerveJosse
January 15, 2023, 8:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144

You could spend more on travel if you moved to the East coast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 113
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2023, 8:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Someone quoted earlier in this or another thread that Hurst has signed, since his return, 50 players so any argument that players won’t come here is pretty much blown out of the water by those numbers. What we are not attracting are players of the required standard and quality hopefully that will be corrected in the next two weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 113
DB
January 15, 2023, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from ginnywings

They don't "have to" or "need to" do anything just because some fans think they should.

My point is that whether you, me or anybody else thinks that they should be doing xyz is irrelevant. They have a long term plan and rightly or wrongly they are going to stick to it.

You and others keep saying that players will come if they chuck money at it, but they have said they won't do that in preference of long term sustainability and we either support their vision or we don't. We don't have a say in it, just like we didn't when JF was head honcho. They fund the club and they decide how to run it.

If fans say they will stop attending if they don't splash the cash, then that's their prerogative.

Constantly arguing about budgets and player acquisition is fruitless.

You summed up our position perfectly, as highlighted.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 113
rancido
January 15, 2023, 10:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from DB

You summed up our position perfectly, as highlighted.

Doesn't that position apply to virtually every league club? The difference between the fans view and the owners vision applies to any club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 113
monkeyboy
January 16, 2023, 8:45am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Its just like Fenty is still in charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 113
January 16, 2023, 9:10am
Guest User
Quoted from Phil the cod
Hurst's game plan for every week is to defend and hope to nick a goal on the break, wether it be home or away this negative approach doesn't change.
This year was the first time ever I've bought a season ticket,along with maybe 3000 other people.
This was bought on the presumption we would kick on from our hard fought and sometimes unbelievably lucky promotion.
We keep being told money is available to Hurst for a decent centre forward yet we cannot find one despite every other tinpot club in this division being able to.
A lot of first time season ticket holders have no intention of renewing next year judging by what I'm being told, now as an owner of a football club this would worry me.
I'll reserve judgement until the window closes in two weeks time, but if we don't get at least two quality forwards through the door then we need to seriously look at what's happening.

Please tell us of all the 'decent CF' that every other 'tinpot clubs' in this League have signed in this window.  Looking forward to seeing your list.
Reply: 101 - 113
horsforthmariner
January 16, 2023, 10:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9

You could commute from Leeds, but you'd have to live in the south (probably Rothwell) to do it. It's getting through Leeds thats the problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 113
Youngy
January 16, 2023, 11:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from It Bites

Yeah but does it have a Nando's?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 113
denni266
January 16, 2023, 11:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
Like what was said further up the thread is  we can get players  but not the standard we need . Or Hurst will not pay the going rate that is required .. We have just wasted 100k i believe on Hunt  who is not good enough to get in to this very poor side . and will soon be loaned out to get game time . I dont even think he was anything special over all when he was here on loan . But his game would improve if he had a target man to feed with his crosses and passes. All he has now is short 5 yd passes sidewards or backwards that produces nothing. This team needs a target man not so much a striker with the players we have .  And it would make a big difference .  We know they are not cheap but without one we have no chance as we are finding out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 113
Poojah
January 16, 2023, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from horsforthmariner

You could commute from Leeds, but you'd have to live in the south (probably Rothwell) to do it. It's getting through Leeds thats the problem.

Barry Conlon used to commute from Leeds. I don’t know exactly where he lived, but he was a regular in the Owl pub in Rodley, as an acquaintance of mine at the time was running it. I’ve got a signed Barry Conlon beer mat somewhere from said pub.

Some of the stories…well let’s just say it’s no surprise his performances seriously tailed off and leave it at that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 113
headingly_mariner
January 16, 2023, 11:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from monkeyboy
Its just like Fenty is still in charge.

In what way?

For me it feels nothing like when Fenty was in charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 113
jamesgtfc
January 16, 2023, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

Barry Conlon used to commute from Leeds. I don’t know exactly where he lived, but he was a regular in the Owl pub in Rodley, as an acquaintance of mine at the time was running it. I’ve got a signed Barry Conlon beer mat somewhere from said pub.

Some of the stories…well let’s just say it’s no surprise his performances seriously tailed off and leave it at that.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 113
chaos33
January 16, 2023, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from denni266
Like what was said further up the thread is  we can get players  but not the standard we need . Or Hurst will not pay the going rate that is required .. We have just wasted 100k i believe on Hunt  who is not good enough to get in to this very poor side . and will soon be loaned out to get game time . I dont even think he was anything special over all when he was here on loan . But his game would improve if he had a target man to feed with his crosses and passes. All he has now is short 5 yd passes sidewards or backwards that produces nothing. This team needs a target man not so much a striker with the players we have .  And it would make a big difference .  We know they are not cheap but without one we have no chance as we are finding out.

What the hell is ‘Hurst will not pay the going rate’ supposed to mean? What is the ‘going rate’? We’re not talking about barrels of oil. There’s no such thing. It’s much more complex and nuanced than your crass generalisations. You have no idea about any of that detail.

As for your point about Hunt - and I’m not sure what it is, seems to be that Hurst (who you say doesn’t ‘pay the going rate’) paid 100k, and you’ve declared, in your non professional role that he’s not good enough to get into our ‘poor side’.

Can you name some ‘target man’ type players who we could go for, like it’s 1967 and these players are common.
You can’t. Everyone wants goalscoring strikers or effective  physical players. Every club. They’re in short supply evidently, and if they’re really good they won’t be available, or at least, they’ll be really hard to find.

I just don’t think you can stop yourself from perpetually moaning and you don’t think things through, and then when any kind of gentle scrutiny is applied to what you say, it’s evident that you’ve got nothing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 113
MarinerDevil
January 16, 2023, 12:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,802
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from ginnywings

I believe Stockwood has committed to having a 'review' after 3 years. If we don't like the direction they're taking the club they said they would step down and sell. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Okay he didn't commit to selling, but he did say this [May 2021]:

Quoted Text
I'm going to be chair for the first 3 years, the ambition as we said is to improve the organisation. If I don't do that, if we don't do that collectively, then I'm happy to step aside for somebody else. There would be no fight.

That sounds like we'll get to judge their performance at the end of next season. I think it's a fair way of going about it.

https://youtu.be/LIs7FfvsQs8?t=212
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 113
denni266
January 16, 2023, 3:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from chaos33

What the hell is ‘Hurst will not pay the going rate’ supposed to mean? What is the ‘going rate’? We’re not talking about barrels of oil. There’s no such thing. It’s much more complex and nuanced than your crass generalisations. You have no idea about any of that detail.

As for your point about Hunt - and I’m not sure what it is, seems to be that Hurst (who you say doesn’t ‘pay the going rate’) paid 100k, and you’ve declared, in your non professional role that he’s not good enough to get into our ‘poor side’.

Can you name some ‘target man’ type players who we could go for, like it’s 1967 and these players are common.
You can’t. Everyone wants goalscoring strikers or effective  physical players. Every club. They’re in short supply evidently, and if they’re really good they won’t be available, or at least, they’ll be really hard to find.

I just don’t think you can stop yourself from perpetually moaning and you don’t think things through, and then when any kind of gentle scrutiny is applied to what you say, it’s evident that you’ve got nothing.

Here he goes again the forum bully .. Well let me tell you i have had enough of your picking and i am not the only one . Something wrong with you seriously.  You only think you are right and everyone else is wrong . You are like a stalker  Get off my case dont read my input and dont reply  you are realy pissing me off .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 113
chaos33
January 16, 2023, 3:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Nobody is bullying you. You’re an adult.

Your view is being challenged. That’s all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 113
acko338
January 16, 2023, 7:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
What has been beating us recently is opponent hard team work, running for each other, having accurate passing to their players who are aware of their field positions, and taking on our weaknesses on both flanks currently.

Waterfall has been a huge miss in the last 2 games at the back. He would have been much more aware of Austin's power and running.

Our obvious other problem is poor quality finishing, the current lack of Taylor's hold up and passing game, and lack of awareness of our players in better positions, before having shots from difficult places out wide.

Mikey O'Neill looked lively until he tired  but no one can expect s young loanee to come in at one day's notice to be a world beater.

At least Hurst was btutally honest in that we were definitely 2nd best all round on Saturday.

2 more weeks to look for new players and it may be that loan players are our only fiscal option this time !!

Not the season that fans wanted, but maybe some players have made this jump and still not quite got the speed and accuracy needed to compete on an equal footing.

JMD had skills in abundance, but no energy to complete 90 minutes and we cannot afford super subs if 2 or 3 down. I'll see how he performs back at NL level.

I think that this season won't see Taylor play again, and we need to alter the team pattern of play, or risk money on a new partner for McAtee to season end.

Not a wonderful season, but let's just dtay in League 2  and go agsin next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 113
pen penfras
January 16, 2023, 7:45pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from acko338
What has been beating us recently is opponent hard team work, running for each other, having accurate passing to their players who are aware of their field positions, and taking on our weaknesses on both flanks currently.

Waterfall has been a huge miss in the last 2 games at the back. He would have been much more aware of Austin's power and running.

Our obvious other problem is poor quality finishing, the current lack of Taylor's hold up and passing game, and lack of awareness of our players in better positions, before having shots from difficult places out wide.

Mikey O'Neill looked lively until he tired  but no one can expect s young loanee to come in at one day's notice to be a world beater.

At least Hurst was btutally honest in that we were definitely 2nd best all round on Saturday.

2 more weeks to look for new players and it may be that loan players are our only fiscal option this time !!

Not the season that fans wanted, but maybe some players have made this jump and still not quite got the speed and accuracy needed to compete on an equal footing.

JMD had skills in abundance, but no energy to complete 90 minutes and we cannot afford super subs if 2 or 3 down. I'll see how he performs back at NL level.

I think that this season won't see Taylor play again, and we need to alter the team pattern of play, or risk money on a new partner for McAtee to season end.

Not a wonderful season, but let's just dtay in League 2  and go agsin next season.

We've conceded a hatfull of goals this season that are just like the one you mention when Waterfall has played. He's not good at marking in the box.

If loan players are our only fiscal option, then please show me where this improved budget has been spent, because I can't see it unless you count the post covid season where we copulated up big time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 113
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst's post-match interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.