aldi_01
April 22, 2023, 9:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Mappers

But thats any club who move through , if we went up there would be a  massive shortfall  to cover just to compete (look at Lincoln ).

I don't think when they sell up Wrexham will suddenly go pop they have a decent support base and would probably average 12 to 15k in league 1 which would mean they could compete  even without super investment.

I am more envious of the funding they are getting for their new stand tbh .

I can see them leaving Wrexham in a better place than they found it when they do decide to leave , i expect them to top out at league 1 with the odd flirt with the Champ , unless they find  more people who will invest even more heavily to take them  right through .

On a sidenote - i was sad to see Hartlepool all but relegated today , thought their fans were brilliant when they came to BP and was hoping for them to come back in their numbers next season ; instead we will have about 50 creep Crawleys .

I’m not arsed either way about Wrexham and I’m certainly not impressed by their points tally. They failed last year, miserably really. Last year there were 4/5 teams who were well funded and spent big, with realistic chances of promotion…this year there’s only ever been two.

Were it not for Hollywood nobody would care, and in truth, nobody does, much like Salford, it’s being fed to folk. I doubt anyone supporting a team in league 1 and above has barely raised a murmur, much like last year, and the year before that and so on…

As for Hartlepool, it seems they’ve literally followed the GTFC of old blueprint. Make mistakes, go down. Fight to get out, succeed and then just revert to type. They’ve struggled all year, they dragged themselves into touching distance then lost the one game they really didn’t wanna lose and we’re gonna have to go to flipping Crawley next year…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 139
Mariner93er
April 22, 2023, 9:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from HerveJosse
If Wrexham improve at the back they will walk League 2 next year.

I'm no so convinced while Parkinson's in charge.

This isn't taking anything away from Wrexham, but I also think the National League was much weaker than the season before. Us and Stockport swapped for Oldham and Scunny who were both in turmoil. Solihull struggling as funds run out. I don't think it's a coincidence that two teams have amassed record-breaking points totals.

That being said, they're obviously still really strong and you'd think at least play offs material
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 139
HertsGTFC
April 22, 2023, 9:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
The biggest losers here are the National League, they will get zero coverage next year as there will be no big story in tin pot. Unless of course someone buys a club and creates a story that means the lazy media can get to the pub earlier each afternoon.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 139
aldi_01
April 22, 2023, 9:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Mariner93er

I'm no so convinced while Parkinson's in charge.

This isn't taking anything away from Wrexham, but I also think the National League was much weaker than the season before. Us and Stockport swapped for Oldham and Scunny who were both in turmoil. Solihull struggling as funds run out. I don't think it's a coincidence that two teams have amassed record-breaking points totals.

That being said, they're obviously still really strong and you'd think at least play offs material

This is very much my take on it, but admittedly, I’ve taken zero interest in watching games at that level this season. It’s bad enough when you’re down there.

It does seem that from the very beginning it was Wrexham v County for the title, so when you couple that with the cash they’ve spent, crowd sizes, coverage and in Wrexham’s case, the external factors raising their profile to a level that Chad and Junior in some made up town in the US are wasting dollars on a shirt because a Hollywood actor bought a tinpot club, it’s really not a surprise.

I’d imagine, having seen last years conference, that th surprise is Barnet and Woking having great seasons. As you say, two fairly big sized clubs with solid fan bases and in our cases, relative stability in ownership, albeit fresh for us were replaced with two basket cases on a downward trajectory…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 139
ska face
April 22, 2023, 10:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Not sure about Wrexham walking it. They’ll do well no doubt, but they’re not going to be playing against teams who’ll roll over for them next season, and they’ve painted a massive target on their own backs. Salford found that out, different prospect when everyone wants to beat you & has half a chance - even with 4 promotion spots they’ve still not managed to get out yet.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 139
LH
April 22, 2023, 10:33pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,605
Gold Stars: 175
Congratulations to the true Wrexham fans who were there 15 years ago and stuck with them. 7 years in total in football’s toilet was bad enough for us - imagine doing double that.

Wrexham vs Salford and the return are absolutely nailed on to be played in the September and March international breaks for Sky’s token League 2 games next season. Not arsed about losing Hartlepool as they’re one of those sets of fans who give themselves the best fans in the land title but get really excited taking only a thousand anywhere.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 139
Poojah
April 22, 2023, 10:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from ska face
Not sure about Wrexham walking it. They’ll do well no doubt, but they’re not going to be playing against teams who’ll roll over for them next season, and they’ve painted a massive target on their own backs. Salford found that out, different prospect when everyone wants to beat you & has half a chance - even with 4 promotion spots they’ve still not managed to get out yet.

That’s certainly a possible outcome. To play devil’s advocate though, to my knowledge only two sides have won the conference with more than 100 points (Wrexham will finish on 113 if they win their last job game) - Crawley with 105 and Fleetwood the following year with 103.

Crawley went straight up to League One the following season; Fleetwood needed two years. Both bankrolled of course, but Wrexham are in points terms the best non-league team of all time (and ironically Notts County the second best, and may yet not go up). They are a far more attractive proposition than Crawley and Fleetwood, too - the ability to offer both money and the opportunity to fraternise with Hollywood darlings, as well as playing in front of some kind of crowd.

There’s a lot about the modern Wrexham I don’t like. There are a few bits about them that I can tolerate. And there are one or two things I genuinely respect, not least their fans’ donations ahead of our play-off final last season.

But history suggests that though they might not find League Two a cake walk, they’ll probably do alright. In terms of our promotion hopes next season, it makes things a little harder. I’ll be surprised if they’re not top 3 next season, and astounded if they’re not top 7.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 139
LH
April 22, 2023, 10:53pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,605
Gold Stars: 175
I’d be really interested to know exactly how many Wrexham fans gave to that appeal. I’ve always felt like they got a bit too much credit for it.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 139
HertsGTFC
April 22, 2023, 11:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
The few bits I’ve seen of them away from when we’ve played them makes me think their current squad will be competitive but we know they’ll add a few and I’d expect them to do their shopping early.

I guess the difference next season will be they’ll be a good half a dozen sides who’ll be able to play against them and out muscle them in the process, in the NL there a couple of teams who can do that but not as many as in L2.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 139
jamesgtfc
April 22, 2023, 11:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC
The few bits I’ve seen of them away from when we’ve played them makes me think their current squad will be competitive but we know they’ll add a few and I’d expect them to do their shopping early.

I guess the difference next season will be they’ll be a good half a dozen sides who’ll be able to play against them and out muscle them in the process, in the NL there a couple of teams who can do that but not as many as in L2.

I think Ben Foster will stay to get a full season of GoPro footage for the American audience to watch and boost his media profile.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 139
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.