Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back

This thread currently has 14,858 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
March 23, 2024, 6:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from MaccasBoots

Not sure if you read my post. My focus was not on "fans jumping up and down clapping their hands", but on fans leaving after 75 minutes. I've been to lots of away games this season, and am yet to see fans of opposition teams stream out in the way that our fans seemingly do on a regular basis. Pretty embarrassing.

Well how many have we won away so hardly surprising really .Any home team getting stuffed 3,4,5 or 6 at home like us will see fans streaming out.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 169
Mappers
March 23, 2024, 6:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,348
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Well how many have we won away so hardly surprising really .Any home team getting stuffed 3,4,5 or 6 at home like us will see fans streaming out.

Fair point - i must admit i was thinking about our gd more than the result when it got to 3 , only -2 today which if we had folded could have been much worse .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 169
Lincspoacher
March 23, 2024, 7:00pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
They came with a plan to be passive early on, and perhaps knew that we didn’t have the quality in possession to keep the ball, and that this would allow them to expose the space in the break.

It worked twice after the first goal.

However, our survival won’t be won or lost with a home game against Wrexham.

We lost but its still game on imho.

There are 100% no false league positions at this stage of the season, and the difference in technical ability on the ball between their players and ours was clear for all to see.

The sheer quality of that 2nd goal was superb.

The wind was really challenging today, but was I the only one who could see that their players were technically better than ours? This actually allowed them to pass more accurately and use their first touch to greater effect because it was just that, a good first touch.

On too many occasions I saw our first touch going 2 yards away from the foot after being controlled. Clifton was not the only one, but his first touch is not great for a professional footballer for example.

In terms of options also available for the player with the ball, our passing and movement was much less than theirs.

Guess that’s why they are 3rd tonight from top and we are at the other end.

However, I am confident we are NOT going down.

We have enough heart and shape to not be in the bottom two.

But, bloodyhell, does Artel have some work on this summer.

It is then that we will more accurately assess his worth and value as a coach.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 23, 2024, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,266
Gold Stars: 236
To be honest, their bench would all improve our starting eleven but we made it far, far too easy for them. Cannon and Lee completely bossed the middle of the park and, whilst Thompson did some sort of job on Lee, Holohan and Green were abysmal. What shocked me was that Holohan seemed surprised to be subbed.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 169
wxm80s
March 23, 2024, 7:08pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 16
Not come to gloat so go easy on me.
Agree that with our budget we should win every game but football isn't like that. Look at our form since Christmas. Its been ok, pretty terrible in spells, with a few really good performances too. Today was a good performance where we just took our chances and it killed the game.

Harsh comment about Parky being excrement. His record is pretty impressive with several promotions so he's doing something right.
He's been brilliant for us. I don't expect other fans to understand what he's had to deal with but it's more than most have to in L2 and below. But even some of our fans don't like him and want him gone. Which is insane for me.
He's had to manage a team that's permanently in the spotlight, he's had to cope with a TV crew following them around constantly and this is where he shines for me, he's had to manage a squad full of players who could all make a case, (near enough) to be starting every game. He's a superb man manager. We'd all love to play like Man City but I don't believe its realistic in L2. Look at Notts this season, they were struggling even before LW left for Swansea and have really struggled to adapt.

I didn't think you were terrible, first half we had four shots and three were goals. In my humble opinion you desperately need a physical dominant striker and more pace in the team. But thats purely going off todays game so might be way off.

I like Artell, he speaks really well and I think you could do far far worse. He was on a podcast with our fans before he got the job with you and I really liked what he had to say. He's no mug.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 169
louth_in_the_south
March 23, 2024, 7:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 96
We’ve clearly got a group of weak minded players who cannot cope with playing at home in front of a large crowd. urine poor . No good going forward. Get rid of the manager as well , hes got nothing about him and don’t think he’s going to take us anywhere but down. I’m still not sure he’s really in charge. It’s a fooking mess

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 169
Yoda
March 23, 2024, 7:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,138
Gold Stars: 71
Holohan has been awful for weeks he seems incapable of completing a pass.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 169
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 23, 2024, 7:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from pontoonlew

Criticise away mate, you’ve had 6 games chomping at the bit to do it so why not give it all you’ve got tonight.

Thought Holohan (yet again) and Green were absolutely terrible today, stopped us creating a single thing by passing the ball like they were playing Sunday league. Andrews & Wood put them to shame and should be starting Saturday.

As somebody said, this result won’t define our season. It’s been a good 6 games previous that have probably given us just enough breathing room. Essentially 7 points clear still with games in hand, Sutton & FGR are going to need an incredible run of form to turn it around now. I’d go so far as to say I’d be surprised to see 42 points not being enough, and you’d imagine 4 points from the next 8 games should be more than achievable.

Think this is pretty spot on IMO the reason the defence looked more fragile today was solely down to the poor quality of midfield players in front of them. I normally rate Forza’s contribution but was amazed last week when he said how much Green had improved technically and Holohan is quite honestly in the same bracket and neither is capable of controlling and passing a ball ten yards successfully more than once per game. To be quite honest I am staggered that Gav has been given the Captaincy in Rose’s absence and believe it should have gone to Doug Tharme who, despite an error which led to their third goal, shows real leadership skills.

Thought the back 3 did ok today although Rogers did return a bit to his panicky persona and we should acknowledge playing in that wind would not have been easy. Hume had his worst game since Doncaster and was caught out for pace on a couple of occasions and Clifton did a great job when he switched there despite him again struggling to control the ball with his first touch.

Up front starved of ball but would still like to see them busting a gut to get to the ball first when it does come in their third of the pitch and showing more obviously for a pass and bollock the midfielder if it doesn’t get played.

We lack physicality, nous ( how many goals conceded from our corner or free kick) and pace. Hopefully we scrape through this season but I can’t see much continuity in our playing staff, whichever league we are in, as a massive turnover required.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 23, 2024, 7:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,266
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from wxm80s
Not come to gloat so go easy on me.
Agree that with our budget we should win every game but football isn't like that. Look at our form since Christmas. Its been ok, pretty terrible in spells, with a few really good performances too. Today was a good performance where we just took our chances and it killed the game.

Harsh comment about Parky being excrement. His record is pretty impressive with several promotions so he's doing something right.
He's been brilliant for us. I don't expect other fans to understand what he's had to deal with but it's more than most have to in L2 and below. But even some of our fans don't like him and want him gone. Which is insane for me.
He's had to manage a team that's permanently in the spotlight, he's had to cope with a TV crew following them around constantly and this is where he shines for me, he's had to manage a squad full of players who could all make a case, (near enough) to be starting every game. He's a superb man manager. We'd all love to play like Man City but I don't believe its realistic in L2. Look at Notts this season, they were struggling even before LW left for Swansea and have really struggled to adapt.

I didn't think you were terrible, first half we had four shots and three were goals. In my humble opinion you desperately need a physical dominant striker and more pace in the team. But thats purely going off todays game so might be way off.

I like Artell, he speaks really well and I think you could do far far worse. He was on a podcast with our fans before he got the job with you and I really liked what he had to say. He's no mug.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Nice post - thanks for that. Slightly more tricky question for you. Where do you stand on Mullin’s theatrics? I’m being very polite.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 169
davmariner
March 23, 2024, 7:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 79
Nothing much to add really other than I’ll be pleased to see the back of quite a few of these players at the end of the season.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 169
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.