It Bites
March 23, 2024, 5:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,228
Gold Stars: 265
From marinating the beef for tea

Gave them 2 goals , they scored a great goal . We had a lot of possession but their defence were solid . Great finish from Arthur .
This result won’t define our run in.
Private Message
IlkleyMariner
March 23, 2024, 5:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
Still 8 games left.
To play..
None of top four
Few top half
Mostly mid table plus Colchester

Should be ok
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 169
1mickylyons
March 23, 2024, 5:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Crikey that was yet another God awful game of so called football.Credit to Wrexham best team by a mile with quality we could only dream of. Fair play to our subs though especially Wood and Andrews they managed to pass the ball.Doug my MOTM with Clifton a close second but we need major surgery throughout and Cartwright needs resting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 169
Hagrid
March 23, 2024, 5:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,436
Gold Stars: 536
They were average and we made it easy for them.

Poor all over the pitch, Keeper at fault for 2 of the goals.

Noone had a good game imo. Subs did well but should have been made at Half Time- thats on the manager ( are we allowed to criticise him yet Pontoonlew?)

A game i didnt expect anything from but we showed nothing. Missed Danny Rose badly
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 169
MaccasBoots
March 23, 2024, 5:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 23
Not worried about the result. Our recent form has given us a decent cushion and Wrexham have a League One squad.

All that said, I come away from this game once again incredibly disappointed with some of our home support. I understand it's not easy to get the noise going when we go a goal down early on, but there's no excuse for streaming out at 75 minutes. Where are you all going? To sit on the couch and watch the telly? I have a train to catch at 1724 and I manage to catch that despite leaving at full time. It's embarrassing frankly, and I can't help but wonder how it makes the players feel.

Think the owners need to have a real think about what we can do to improve the home atmosphere over the summer. Because it's pretty dire at the moment - in stark contrast to the stellar away support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 169
DB
March 23, 2024, 5:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
The result may have been expected, but the manner in which we played that was so bad.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 23, 2024, 5:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,266
Gold Stars: 236
Our midfield were woeful today, let’s not beat about the bush. Poor in possession, not great without the ball either.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 169
1mickylyons
March 23, 2024, 5:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Not worried about the result. Our recent form has given us a decent cushion and Wrexham have a League One squad.

All that said, I come away from this game once again incredibly disappointed with some of our home support. I understand it's not easy to get the noise going when we go a goal down early on, but there's no excuse for streaming out at 75 minutes. Where are you all going? To sit on the couch and watch the telly? I have a train to catch at 1724 and I manage to catch that despite leaving at full time. It's embarrassing frankly, and I can't help but wonder how it makes the players feel.

Think the owners need to have a real think about what we can do to improve the home atmosphere over the summer. Because it's pretty dire at the moment - in stark contrast to the stellar away support.

No offence you're entitled to an opinion like the rest of us.Oddly enough I left on exactly 75 mins got to the car did a u turn and got home for the final whistle hence why I left. The players feelings if hurt should come and speak with me about my very limited expectations. The lack of ability to do basics like pass or control a football or deliver a set piece are continually boiling my urine.I  have  to say on top of that there looked to be a worrying lack of effort from 3-4 of our more experienced players and that's not the first time this Season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 169
MaccasBoots
March 23, 2024, 5:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

No offence you're entitled to an opinion like the rest of us.Oddly enough I left on exactly 75 mins got to the car did a u turn and got home for the final whistle hence why I left. The players feelings if hurt should come and speak with me about my very limited expectations. The lack of ability to do basics like pass or control a football or deliver a set piece are continually boiling my urine.I  have  to say on top of that there looked to be a worrying lack of effort from 3-4 of our more experienced players and that's not the first time this Season.

Fair enough, you're also entitled to your opinion. I personally just don't understand why you'd bother going if you're just going to leave early. Seems like a waste of your money and time.

And if you're interested in the players performing better than I doubt that denting their confidence by streaming out early will do much to help that. But as I say, just my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 169
Tommy
March 23, 2024, 5:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,867
Gold Stars: 76
Just haven't got enough footballers have we.
We had more of the ball than we've had in recent games but looked pretty clueless with it and players could execute simple passes.

Just have to chalk today off as being beaten by a team of far greater financial backing and therefore better quality players all round than us. Hard to go up against them man-for-man with the same system when they had better players than us all over the pitch. In hindsight it might have been worth trying to change the system and give them a problem by creating an advantage somewhere.

We're going to struggle in midfield with that three together. Holohan and Green are grafters but aren't good technically. Thompson looks after the ball but his lack of mobility means he needs others around him who can also play and deal with the ball. Andrews coming on is so slow to do anything, and Cliftons first touch has been very poor this season (one today 2nd half shanked up 8ft in the air above his head).

Wood and Gnahoua can actually play. Gnahoua is good technically and I actually see some potential in Wood, he's got a decent touch, is quite mobile and forward-thinking. I get why they've been out the team while we've just focused on being hard to beat and grafted our way to some points, but it's not sustainable to keep trying to nick 1-0 wins with little possession.

Obvious statement but Rose would've made a difference today. Our front two didn't have much great service but I thought a big part of that was that they were both static until the ball was played up to them, and often caught on their heels when people tried to play balls into their feet. Pyke is still not a centre-forward either. The only times he's looked a player is playing off the right in a front 3.

The back 3 did alright today in general and whilst Cartwright wasn't poor, the first goal was an error on his part, he should have kept that out for sure.

Anyway, we move on, not a shock result today, but maybe a performance that reiterates were we need to improve in the summer.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 169
Mappers
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,345
Gold Stars: 119
Not sure what to make of it .

Were we that bad apart from the times they scored?

Were they that good?

Strange game really for that first 45 which was effectively the game .

Maybe they just had a really good gameplan ,inviting us out of a low block and having the quality to expose us tbf
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 169
Plankton

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
Wrexham were brilliant, their counter attacking football is something we can only dream of. We gifted them 2 goals and allowed a third with poor defending. The first half looked like an FA cup game against a championship side and we didn't compete whatsoever in the first 45. Wrexham took their foot off gas in the second as the match was clearly sown up.

We're a poor side, in a poor position, they're a good side, in a good position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 169
Hagrid
March 23, 2024, 5:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MaccasBoots

Fair enough, you're also entitled to your opinion. I personally just don't understand why you'd bother going if you're just going to leave early. Seems like a waste of your money and time.

And if you're interested in the players performing better than I doubt that denting their confidence by streaming out early will do much to help that. But as I say, just my opinion.

Players have been lucky the ground has emptied so frequently. Some of their “ efforts” this season have been appalling and they’ve got off the hook

Fans support has stood up brilliantly considering
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 169
oochiad
March 23, 2024, 5:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
I didn’t expect a result today but I did expect more fight and passion from the team like we get when we’re away. I just don’t understand why that is. Anyway that result won’t define our season and although some people left at 75 mins I thought generally the crowd were very patient with what was served up. Onto Barrow and it won’t surprise me at all that we’ll get a point and put a really gutsy preformance on. UTM! Xxxxx
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 169
pontoonlew
March 23, 2024, 5:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,039
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Hagrid
They were average and we made it easy for them.

Poor all over the pitch, Keeper at fault for 2 of the goals.

Noone had a good game imo. Subs did well but should have been made at Half Time- thats on the manager ( are we allowed to criticise him yet Pontoonlew?)

A game i didnt expect anything from but we showed nothing. Missed Danny Rose badly

Criticise away mate, you’ve had 6 games chomping at the bit to do it so why not give it all you’ve got tonight.

Thought Holohan (yet again) and Green were absolutely terrible today, stopped us creating a single thing by passing the ball like they were playing Sunday league. Andrews & Wood put them to shame and should be starting Saturday.

As somebody said, this result won’t define our season. It’s been a good 6 games previous that have probably given us just enough breathing room. Essentially 7 points clear still with games in hand, Sutton & FGR are going to need an incredible run of form to turn it around now. I’d go so far as to say I’d be surprised to see 42 points not being enough, and you’d imagine 4 points from the next 8 games should be more than achievable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 169
pontoonlew
March 23, 2024, 5:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,039
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from oochiad
I didn’t expect a result today but I did expect more fight and passion from the team like we get when we’re away. I just don’t understand why that is. Anyway that result won’t define our season and although some people left at 75 mins I thought generally the crowd were very patient with what was served up. Onto Barrow and it won’t surprise me at all that we’ll get a point and put a really gutsy preformance on. UTM! Xxxxx

In fairness I thought we did work hard & fight today, the issue was purely in the application
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 23, 2024, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

Criticise away mate, you’ve had 6 games chomping at the bit to do it so why not give it all you’ve got tonight.

Thought Holohan (yet again) and Green were absolutely terrible today, stopped us creating a single thing by passing the ball like they were playing Sunday league. Andrews & Wood put them to shame and should be starting Saturday.

As somebody said, this result won’t define our season. It’s been a good 6 games previous that have probably given us just enough breathing room. Essentially 7 points clear still with games in hand, Sutton & FGR are going to need an incredible run of form to turn it around now. I’d go so far as to say I’d be surprised to see 42 points not being enough, and you’d imagine 4 points from the next 8 games should be more than achievable.

Who’s going to start on Friday then?
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 169
Yoda
March 23, 2024, 6:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,138
Gold Stars: 71
Awful awful performance another shocker from the keeper.
We were second best all over the pitch zero fight from any of them.
Left 20 minutes early it was that bad we could sleep walk into relegation on that performance.
To be honest wouldn’t be to bothered if Artell went at end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 169
Wiley2405
March 23, 2024, 6:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Not much to say on the game apart from Wrexham we’re much better than us.

One thing I will say listening to Artell and Thompson is that I hate this the ‘occasion’ may have got to us, they are in the same league as us! We aren’t playing Man Utd away, there’s always cameras there, forget about Netflix you’re professional footballers don’t blame the ‘occasion’
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 169
Hagrid
March 23, 2024, 6:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

Really havent. But your so quick to have a go at anyone else that think its only fair to accept it back.

I wouldnt be surprised if the 2 ( Andrews and Wood) play on friday. Andrews looked like he had a point to prove

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 169
Theimperialcoroner
March 23, 2024, 6:08pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,212
Gold Stars: 102
I predicted 3:1 before the game but even then was rather disappointed with how. The first looked to be a horrible bounce just in front of Cartwright, I’d want to see it again to be sure. They had 5 or 6 players who are at least a league above this standard and it shows. The only thing holding them back is an utterly excrement manager and again that showed. Obikwu should have scored a second on about 87 mins which might have made things interesting but we were second best most of the game. Here’s a prediction for you, by this time a week on Saturday we’ll be all but safe on 44 or 45 points.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 169
Mappers
March 23, 2024, 6:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I predicted 3:1 before the game but even then was rather disappointed with how. The first looked to be a horrible bounce just in front of Cartwright, I’d want to see it again to be sure. They had 5 or 6 players who are at least a league above this standard and it shows. The only thing holding them back is an utterly excrement manager and again that showed. Obikwu should have scored a second on about 87 mins which might have made things interesting but we were second best most of the game. Here’s a prediction for you, by this time a week on Saturday we’ll be all but safe on 44 or 45 points.

I think that's slightly harsh on Parkinson

I don't think he's a great manager by any means but so many fail to get teams over the line / achieve what their clubs expectations are , even with big resources so I think if he gets them to league one it will be a 'good go ' even if that's as far as he can take them ; he should be given a year or two to try and move them forward there aswell imo . It would be a different level though when they won't be the big hitters up there .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 169
TAGG
March 23, 2024, 6:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,945
Gold Stars: 126
Beaten by the better team.
We had a go but not good enough on the day.
On to the next game UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 169
quebec38
March 23, 2024, 6:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
They were the better side, but they ought to be. Quality players throughout on a budget that’s likely never been beaten at this level. They win games by fielding the better side, which may sound obvious, but it doesn’t say a lot for Parkinson if that’s the kind of performance they are turning in each week.

We had nothing up top today and couldn’t really do much on the ball in midfield, although Wood and Ghanouha did improve that in the second half.

Not gonna lose any sleep over the result since FGR failed to shorten the gap. Sights set firmly on a big Easter weekend now. UTM.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 169
Maringer
March 23, 2024, 6:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,565
Gold Stars: 185
Good post-match interview from Artell today. They had better players which made it a difficult game, but we let ourselves down to make it too easy for them.

Let's move on to next game (and hope Rose is back fit by then).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 169
arryarryarry
March 23, 2024, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MaccasBoots

FFS, we get comments like this all the time, what is it that you don't understand, it doesn't matter who we are playing, if we are playing crap and getting stuffed, the fans aren't going to be jumping up and down clapping their hands.

We are no different to any other football club.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 169
1mickylyons
March 23, 2024, 6:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
As others have stated won't define our Season we all loathe Mullin but at this level he's pure quality .Great feet for the 2nd goal when someone should have left him in a heap and took a yellow on the halfway line. Work to do but 6 more points we will be safe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 169
MaccasBoots
March 23, 2024, 6:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

FFS, we get comments like this all the time, what is it that you don't understand, it doesn't matter who we are playing, if we are playing crap and getting stuffed, the fans aren't going to be jumping up and down clapping their hands.

We are no different to any other football clubs.

Not sure if you read my post. My focus was not on "fans jumping up and down clapping their hands", but on fans leaving after 75 minutes. I've been to lots of away games this season, and am yet to see fans of opposition teams stream out in the way that our fans seemingly do on a regular basis. Pretty embarrassing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 169
Yoda
March 23, 2024, 6:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
We haven’t had a lot to watch with our dross on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 169
Plankton
March 23, 2024, 6:45pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MaccasBoots

Not sure if you read my post. My focus was not on "fans jumping up and down clapping their hands", but on fans leaving after 75 minutes. I've been to lots of away games this season, and am yet to see fans of opposition teams stream out in the way that our fans seemingly do on a regular basis. Pretty embarrassing.

Probably because they were playing us and we weren't banging in 4, 5 or 6 goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 169
1mickylyons
March 23, 2024, 6:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MaccasBoots

Well how many have we won away so hardly surprising really .Any home team getting stuffed 3,4,5 or 6 at home like us will see fans streaming out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 169
Mappers
March 23, 2024, 6:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Well how many have we won away so hardly surprising really .Any home team getting stuffed 3,4,5 or 6 at home like us will see fans streaming out.

Fair point - i must admit i was thinking about our gd more than the result when it got to 3 , only -2 today which if we had folded could have been much worse .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 169
Lincspoacher
March 23, 2024, 7:00pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
They came with a plan to be passive early on, and perhaps knew that we didn’t have the quality in possession to keep the ball, and that this would allow them to expose the space in the break.

It worked twice after the first goal.

However, our survival won’t be won or lost with a home game against Wrexham.

We lost but its still game on imho.

There are 100% no false league positions at this stage of the season, and the difference in technical ability on the ball between their players and ours was clear for all to see.

The sheer quality of that 2nd goal was superb.

The wind was really challenging today, but was I the only one who could see that their players were technically better than ours? This actually allowed them to pass more accurately and use their first touch to greater effect because it was just that, a good first touch.

On too many occasions I saw our first touch going 2 yards away from the foot after being controlled. Clifton was not the only one, but his first touch is not great for a professional footballer for example.

In terms of options also available for the player with the ball, our passing and movement was much less than theirs.

Guess that’s why they are 3rd tonight from top and we are at the other end.

However, I am confident we are NOT going down.

We have enough heart and shape to not be in the bottom two.

But, bloodyhell, does Artel have some work on this summer.

It is then that we will more accurately assess his worth and value as a coach.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 23, 2024, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
To be honest, their bench would all improve our starting eleven but we made it far, far too easy for them. Cannon and Lee completely bossed the middle of the park and, whilst Thompson did some sort of job on Lee, Holohan and Green were abysmal. What shocked me was that Holohan seemed surprised to be subbed.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 169
wxm80s
March 23, 2024, 7:08pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 16
Not come to gloat so go easy on me.
Agree that with our budget we should win every game but football isn't like that. Look at our form since Christmas. Its been ok, pretty terrible in spells, with a few really good performances too. Today was a good performance where we just took our chances and it killed the game.

Harsh comment about Parky being excrement. His record is pretty impressive with several promotions so he's doing something right.
He's been brilliant for us. I don't expect other fans to understand what he's had to deal with but it's more than most have to in L2 and below. But even some of our fans don't like him and want him gone. Which is insane for me.
He's had to manage a team that's permanently in the spotlight, he's had to cope with a TV crew following them around constantly and this is where he shines for me, he's had to manage a squad full of players who could all make a case, (near enough) to be starting every game. He's a superb man manager. We'd all love to play like Man City but I don't believe its realistic in L2. Look at Notts this season, they were struggling even before LW left for Swansea and have really struggled to adapt.

I didn't think you were terrible, first half we had four shots and three were goals. In my humble opinion you desperately need a physical dominant striker and more pace in the team. But thats purely going off todays game so might be way off.

I like Artell, he speaks really well and I think you could do far far worse. He was on a podcast with our fans before he got the job with you and I really liked what he had to say. He's no mug.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 169
louth_in_the_south
March 23, 2024, 7:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 96
We’ve clearly got a group of weak minded players who cannot cope with playing at home in front of a large crowd. urine poor . No good going forward. Get rid of the manager as well , hes got nothing about him and don’t think he’s going to take us anywhere but down. I’m still not sure he’s really in charge. It’s a fooking mess

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 169
Yoda
March 23, 2024, 7:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Holohan has been awful for weeks he seems incapable of completing a pass.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 169
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 23, 2024, 7:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from pontoonlew

Think this is pretty spot on IMO the reason the defence looked more fragile today was solely down to the poor quality of midfield players in front of them. I normally rate Forza’s contribution but was amazed last week when he said how much Green had improved technically and Holohan is quite honestly in the same bracket and neither is capable of controlling and passing a ball ten yards successfully more than once per game. To be quite honest I am staggered that Gav has been given the Captaincy in Rose’s absence and believe it should have gone to Doug Tharme who, despite an error which led to their third goal, shows real leadership skills.

Thought the back 3 did ok today although Rogers did return a bit to his panicky persona and we should acknowledge playing in that wind would not have been easy. Hume had his worst game since Doncaster and was caught out for pace on a couple of occasions and Clifton did a great job when he switched there despite him again struggling to control the ball with his first touch.

Up front starved of ball but would still like to see them busting a gut to get to the ball first when it does come in their third of the pitch and showing more obviously for a pass and bollock the midfielder if it doesn’t get played.

We lack physicality, nous ( how many goals conceded from our corner or free kick) and pace. Hopefully we scrape through this season but I can’t see much continuity in our playing staff, whichever league we are in, as a massive turnover required.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 23, 2024, 7:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wxm80s
Agree that with our budget we should win every game but football isn't like that. Look at our form since Christmas. Its been ok, pretty terrible in spells, with a few really good performances too. Today was a good performance where we just took our chances and it killed the game.

Harsh comment about Parky being excrement. His record is pretty impressive with several promotions so he's doing something right.
He's been brilliant for us. I don't expect other fans to understand what he's had to deal with but it's more than most have to in L2 and below. But even some of our fans don't like him and want him gone. Which is insane for me.
He's had to manage a team that's permanently in the spotlight, he's had to cope with a TV crew following them around constantly and this is where he shines for me, he's had to manage a squad full of players who could all make a case, (near enough) to be starting every game. He's a superb man manager. We'd all love to play like Man City but I don't believe its realistic in L2. Look at Notts this season, they were struggling even before LW left for Swansea and have really struggled to adapt.

I didn't think you were terrible, first half we had four shots and three were goals. In my humble opinion you desperately need a physical dominant striker and more pace in the team. But thats purely going off todays game so might be way off.

I like Artell, he speaks really well and I think you could do far far worse. He was on a podcast with our fans before he got the job with you and I really liked what he had to say. He's no mug.

Nice post - thanks for that. Slightly more tricky question for you. Where do you stand on Mullin’s theatrics? I’m being very polite.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 169
davmariner
March 23, 2024, 7:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Nothing much to add really other than I’ll be pleased to see the back of quite a few of these players at the end of the season.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 169
IlkleyMariner
March 23, 2024, 7:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Yoda

Except the excellent pass to Wilson at Gillingham which put us 1-0:up?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 23, 2024, 7:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Except the excellent pass to Wilson at Gillingham which put us 1-0:up?

Give over. He’s ok going forward but an absolute liability going the other way. That might be alright if he had good players around him but he hasn’t.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 169
1mickylyons
March 23, 2024, 7:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Nice post - thanks for that. Slightly more tricky question for you. Where do you stand on Mullin’s theatrics? I’m being very polite.

I'd love him in a Town shirt shithouse 100% .
I think of Wrexham a long ball team today anything but they scored 3 against the wind I expected a 2nd half mauling but they just carried on passing. Fair play
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 169
wxm80s
March 23, 2024, 7:24pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm not a fan and I'd like him to tone it down a bit but I can live with it because he's such a good player. He will do anything to win and his work rate, ability and finishing is beyond question. He always puts a shift in even if he's having a stinker.

I don't mind him going down easily in the box, most players do it, its not as if he's the only one but what he did today wasn't good.

By the way, Refs in L2 give him nothing. Even when they should. The price you pay I guess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 169
Heisenberg
March 23, 2024, 7:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,075
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Yoda

I’m not a fan of Holohan at all. He adds nothing when playing at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 169
Mappers
March 23, 2024, 7:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from wxm80s

I agree with what you say , well played today .

I suppose it will get interesting with Parkinson if/when you have a tough spell in league 1 - we know what fans are like (I'm including our's in that ) + owners  and whether they stick with him through bad after he's done so well so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 169
Plankton
March 23, 2024, 8:17pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from wxm80s

By the way, Refs in L2 give him nothing. Even when they should. The price you pay I guess.

Maybe if he weren't a cheat they'd more inclined to? Appreciate your previous post, a very fair assessment and I'd love to be in your position.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 23, 2024, 8:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,960
Gold Stars: 228
Didn’t expect to win, would have been ecstatic with a point and actually would have understood a battling defeat, sadly we never got anywhere close to any of those.

Our errors gifted them opportunities & they still had a couple of gears left I think.

Clearly there was a few players playing for new contracts today - at other clubs!

A word on Mullin, he’s a quality player at this level for sure but a classless c**t who embarrassed himself again today when he ran into Tharme in the 2nd half & looked like he’d been cut down with a machine gun. 🤬

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 169
Limerick Mariner
March 23, 2024, 8:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
They were ruthless in exploiting our errors. Apart from that they are very streetwise but nothing special but those two attributes alone are enough to get promotion from this league.

Think Arthur needs to start he made a difference and has done a few times. I suspect DA was preserving Wilson for future battles in taking him off because Obikwu was out of his depth today. Haven’t seen his miss on 89mins on tv but it looked an absolute sitter from the Osmond and would have made the last 6 mins v interesting. Doug continues to impress but the midfield limitations were glaring today. Probably changing my view on Gav being worth another year as a squad filler, he looks like he’s running on empty (happens to us all of course) and he hasn’t the technique to get away with a lower energy game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 23, 2024, 8:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
They were ruthless in exploiting our errors. Apart from that they are very streetwise but nothing special but those two attributes alone are enough to get promotion from this league.

Think Arthur needs to start he made a difference and has done a few times. I suspect DA was preserving Wilson for future battles in taking him off because Obikwu was out of his depth today. Haven’t seen his miss on 89mins on tv but it looked an absolute sitter from the Osmond and would have made the last 6 mins v interesting. Doug continues to impress but the midfield limitations were glaring today. Probably changing my view on Gav being worth another year as a squad filler, he looks like he’s running on empty (happens to us all of course) and he hasn’t the technique to get away with a lower energy game.

On the basis of today I think Wilson was preserving Wilson for other battles.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 23, 2024, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

On the basis of today I think Wilson was preserving Wilson for other battles.

I wouldn’t disagree but there were several much worse.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 169
Madeleymariner
March 23, 2024, 10:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Been back for a bit but cheese and oatcakes followed by a couple of glasses of bubbly (tax deductable) have still left me rather disgruntled with the game. Yes they were going to have some better players but we seemed to lack any real grit to make up for it. Hardly a single crunching tackle or great block to get the crowd going to make up for how rubbish we were with the ball. How many of their players needed the Physio on or limped off to be subbed after a tackle?
We had a complete lack of flair, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the easiest 3 points they have had since we played them in Wales. Didn't expect to win but we went down with a whimper and that's simply not good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 169
Zmariner
March 23, 2024, 10:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,132
Gold Stars: 44
The reality is, we probably don’t have one player that would get in their team. We had to be at our best and we weren’t. The whole thing felt flat, their fans were good.
Our midfield is hard working but not good enough. Need Rose back and could do with a better back up keeper as Cartwright was unusually poor today. Gav needs a rest too, he is no captain. Rose leads by example.
They were very clinical but there was no great gulf in class. 2nd goal was very good utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 169
Northbank Mariner
March 23, 2024, 10:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Our midfield were woeful today, let’s not beat about the bush. Poor in possession, not great without the ball either.

No, Green and Holohan were woeful, Thompson was a 1 man army in there, we need to build around him, best player on the books at this moment in time.
Cartwright needs dropping, again his inexperience was exposed, he needs to learn to read the game better, Mullins and Cannons second goal would never have happened had he not been too busy watching the ball rather than reacting to the situation on front of him.
Wrexham are 1 dimensional, lump it and run, they hardly passed the ball about at all, Mansfield, Barrow, Mk, Stockport and even FGR played better football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 169
sydney
March 23, 2024, 10:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Was Lucky Enough to be at the 4-5
And seeing the 2 teams again today what a difference in progression in those 2 years or so
I know they’ve spent big
But hopefully we can stay up (mixed feelings about this with our lack of guile and quality today) and build for next season
Seem to have been saying this for many many seasons now
Come on Town!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 169
Poojah
March 23, 2024, 11:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,613
Gold Stars: 1,503
Going into the game today I had a weird feeling that we’d sneak a win. Yet another reminder that confidence and Town shouldn’t be mixed.

I thought we looked very flat today. It wasn’t the same kind of kamikaze performance we saw against Walsall, Stockport and Donny, but once again I found myself in the bar at half-time wondering whether I could be ársed to go back out for the second half.

The first two goals in particular were wholly preventable. Young Cartwright’s played well in recent weeks, but there’s no other way of describing the first goal than as a goalkeeping error. It does bounce just in front of him, but it’s the kind of occupational hazard that professional ‘keepers should be expected to deal with 999 times out of a thousand. He’s learning his trade, and he’ll learn from that mistake, no need to be more dramatic than that.

The second looked very familiar. Hit on the break from our own poor corner, then had multiple opportunities to stop the move with a foul, but didn’t even attempt to. It was precisely the kind of situation you put Green in the team for, but he failed to do his job there and it cost us. If you’re in the Wrexham corner it’s a good goal, but it’s something we’ve seen too often of late for it to have been a coincidence.

I’d gone to get the beers in by the time they got the third, but watching it back on the ITV highlights show (Town are the lead game, btw) Tharme’s attempted clearance is poor, we don’t deal with the second ball and, ultimately, Mullin’s volley on the turn is class, but it shouldn’t have got that far.

The second half was largely forgettable, but even when we pulled a goal back, it never felt like we were going full tilt to make it a contest for the remaining minutes. We just never felt quite “at it” today. It happens, but if I’m not mistaken we’ve only won once all season having gone behind. No doubt we’ve done well in recent weeks, but that’s still a mental fragility we need to overcome.

Ultimately, today was yet another frustrating afternoon in what has become a catalogue of frustrating afternoons this season, but not a disaster. It was a simple case of basic errors costing us against a side with a budget a good multiple or three of ours, rather than the kind of systematic dismantling that punctuated the start of the year.

We’ve taken 4 points from a run of 3 games against top 8 sides, and that’s taken a bit of pressure off. I think we’d all have taken that, coupled with the two Forest Green defeats that have coincided. If we can maintain or extend our current 6 point cushion against Barrow, we’ll be almost there, imo.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 169
PaceyMariner
March 23, 2024, 11:13pm
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +266
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Been back for a bit but cheese and oatcakes followed by a couple of glasses of bubbly (tax deductable) have still left me rather disgruntled with the game. Yes they were going to have some better players but we seemed to lack any real grit to make up for it. Hardly a single crunching tackle or great block to get the crowd going to make up for how rubbish we were with the ball. How many of their players needed the Physio on or limped off to be subbed after a tackle?
We had a complete lack of flair, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the easiest 3 points they have had since we played them in Wales. Didn't expect to win but we went down with a whimper and that's simply not good enough.

Excellent post, and mirrors my thoughts:

Pacey <*))))><
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 169
Yoda
March 23, 2024, 11:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
What worries me is once the first goal went in everyone in the stadium knew it was game over.
We never had a shot on target until the 47th minute and that was a urine poor effort. The slightest bit of pressure we crumble and seem to have no gile to get back in the game and we never seem to score more than one goal.
I am worried the teams below us hit some form and we go on one of our bad losing streaks again. It’s going to be close.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 169
Norseman
March 23, 2024, 11:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Thought Thompson ,Tharme and Mullarkey were the only players who came out of today with some credit .Wilson was feeding on scraps .Obikwu looked lost and the rest were just very poor when they needed to step up against a decent side .Not great but decent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 169
HerveJosse
March 23, 2024, 11:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Until the substitutions we only had one player in the pitch who can complete a pass regularly ie Thompson.
Why Hoolahan gets a place in this or any side I just do not understand ,woeful passer doesn’t pick up his man Contril breaks down after second or third touch.
Clifton is regressing .
Wrexham didn’t look particularly good to me again we made it easy for them by gifting them goals in the first half
We will stay up but need a massive clear out in the summer and much improved recruitment or next year is going to be another struggle.
How do we keeping pulling in 6k home fans with this on offer?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 169
Plankton
March 23, 2024, 11:46pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Yoda
What worries me is once the first goal went in everyone in the stadium knew it was game over.

Everyone knew what we were up against and what we have against that, an exceptionally poor side that's bottom 3 team. We have a support base that's two leagues above the level of the team which is national league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 169
Badger57
March 23, 2024, 11:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,914
Gold Stars: 30
We've got some excrement for certain. A very, very poor Grimsby Town team. (66 yes young and following Town since I was 11-12)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 169
Croxton
March 24, 2024, 12:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,018
Gold Stars: 33
I left at 90 min with a guy who had driven from Plymouth and was about to start his journey back.  
Reckon he put more effort into the game than our front two.

Subs too late. Vernam must be still unfit if Ubikwu gets to stay on. The lad has no clue how to find space, challenge for a header or drop into midfield to offer an option in transition. Wood and Gnouha  need to get way more game time in the next few games.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 169
Mayaman
March 24, 2024, 3:29am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Norseman
Thought Thompson ,Tharme and Mullarkey were the only players who came out of today with some credit .Wilson was feeding on scraps .Obikwu looked lost and the rest were just very poor when they needed to step up against a decent side .Not great but decent

Mullarky was good going forward.  Had the balls to take them on.  Others should be doing that job more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 169
Phil the cod
March 24, 2024, 7:07am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Thompson didn't give in after the first goal was let in as a gift.
We need sort out the goalkeeper though as he's making the rest of the team nervous wrecks.
They were far better than us and our players recognised this from 10 minutes in.
Hate to state the obvious but if you don't spend decent money on the squad and are obsessed with wokery and gourmet sausage rolls instead this will be the outcome.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 7:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod
Thompson didn't give in after the first goal was let in as a gift.
We need sort out the goalkeeper though as he's making the rest of the team nervous wrecks.
They were far better than us and our players recognised this from 10 minutes in.
Hate to state the obvious but if you don't spend decent money on the squad and are obsessed with wokery and gourmet sausage rolls instead this will be the outcome.

And there I was sat thinking for once you where making sense until I read the cobblers you’d written at the end, you have sausage rolls living rent free in your head clearly 🙄

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 169
Mappers
March 24, 2024, 7:48am
Champagne Drinker
Having slept on it , I am not too worried about relegation as I think we will survive .

But , I'm certainly more worried long term about us being nothing more than lower league 2 cloggers and that being about our limit in the current climate , with our current circumstances and ideal of doing it in a sustainable way .

There are anomalies who do well on limited budgets but even those (look at the bottom of league 1) , Sutton in league 2 and Rotherham in The Champ ; their time runs out and they revert to their natural level or worse .

It doesn't matter how  many 7 or 8k attendances you get as it only touches the sides of what investors/owners are willing to throw at these bankrolled clubs .

I feel we need more investment badly both on and off the pitch if we are going to go on any sort of consistent upward trajectory ; if we keep trying to do things the ethical and sustainable way in terms of not raising any investment and running at break even /a small loss I get the feeling we will just kick around the lower reaches until more well funded clubs bypass us and we end up back in nl once more in a few years .

I'm hoping Stockwood & Pettit have irons in the fire and recognise a lot of fans only care for what happens on a Saturday rather than all the small gains .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 8:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Plankton

Everyone knew what we were up against and what we have against that, an exceptionally poor side that's bottom 3 team. We have a support base that's two leagues above the level of the team which is national league.

This, the home fan base has been great a real cross section of die hards, frequent visitors & kids. Feels like once again we’re missing an opportunity to capitalise on great engagement.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 169
Brummie Codfather
March 24, 2024, 8:11am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from HertsGTFC

And there I was sat thinking for once you where making sense until I read the cobblers you’d written at the end, you have sausage rolls living rent free in your head clearly 🙄

Sausage rolls live rent free in my head but mainly because I’m a bit of a fat illegitimate
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 169
lew chaterleys lover
March 24, 2024, 8:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mappers
Having slept on it , I am not too worried about relegation as I think we will survive .

But , I'm certainly more worried long term about us being nothing more than lower league 2 cloggers and that being about our limit in the current climate , with our current circumstances and ideal of doing it in a sustainable way .

There are anomalies who do well on limited budgets but even those (look at the bottom of league 1) , Sutton in league 2 and Rotherham in The Champ ; their time runs out and they revert to their natural level or worse .

It doesn't matter how  many 7 or 8k attendances you get as it only touches the sides of what investors/owners are willing to throw at these bankrolled clubs .

I feel we need more investment badly both on and off the pitch if we are going to go on any sort of consistent upward trajectory ; if we keep trying to do things the ethical and sustainable way in terms of not raising any investment and running at break even /a small loss I get the feeling we will just kick around the lower reaches until more well funded clubs bypass us and we end up back in nl once more in a few years .

I'm hoping Stockwood & Pettit have irons in the fire and recognise a lot of fans only care for what happens on a Saturday rather than all the small gains .

In terms of actual league placings we are no better off than with Fenty, which is not something I thought I would write. Doing nothing substantial but keeping the costs down has been equally successful as doing lots but not spending substantially more on top players is giving us similar outcomes.

I was member a hoop when the new owners came in, but unless we are going to make really substantial improvements to BP, or actually get a new training facility then everything should be focused on getting better players in during the summer.

If long term plans are just that, then bobbing along in the lower reaches of league 2 or worse won't keep the fans enthused enough.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 169
pen penfras
March 24, 2024, 8:18am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
We’ve clearly got a group of weak minded players who cannot cope with playing at home in front of a large crowd. urine poor . No good going forward. Get rid of the manager as well , hes got nothing about him and don’t think he’s going to take us anywhere but down. I’m still not sure he’s really in charge. It’s a fooking mess

He's not really in charge, is he? Had no choice in any of his staff, not even his assistant manager. Signings were all players we'd spoken to in the summer.

Hurst was sacked because he signed his own players and didn't play passing football. Yes, results contributed but the statement was that the data was good and we'd been unlucky in several games. When that was the case 12 months earlier there was no consideration in sacking him.

Artell brought in to play passing football and sticks to it religiously until a meeting happens. He's apparently not told to change the style but we do and revert to the type of football he was so critical of just 2 weeks earlier.

A mess is spot on. Never gets any better for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 169
mariner91
March 24, 2024, 8:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,668
Gold Stars: 262
Yesterday was the first home game I’ve missed in a while but by the sounds of it I didn’t miss much. Ultimately it appears it comes down to the fact that we just don’t have much quality available. After this recent unbeaten run of hard fought points won I’ve seen some suggest that we don’t need wholesale changes to the squad for next season. And whilst that would be nice I think if we want to progress at all then we’re going to need a serious injection of quality across the board.

Neither goalkeepers are good enough. I know Cartwright has had a couple of good games recently but right now he’s not anywhere near consistent enough and I’ve never been impressed with his shot stopping. Eastwood has about as much confidence as I would have if I had to fight Tyson Fury and is so mentally fragile that really he should consider a different career.

In the defence Tharme looks like a decent L2 stopper and Hume, if we can get him to stay, looks decent too. Mullarkey and Rodgers would be okay back ups but if we want to progress we need better. At right back, Clifton’s defensive side of the game is good and has energy to burn but he can’t play football. And Maher and Glennon are almost certainly on their way out and both are NL standard anyway.

Midfield in the big issue. Thompson has been a good signing but is lacking in mobility. He reads the game very well and has the ability to consistently look after the ball. If you put two quality players next to him then you’d have a good midfield for this level. The problem right now is none of the other midfielders are FL standard. Clifton can’t play midfield. Holohan and Green aren’t FL standard and struggle to do the basics well. Wood and Andrews are very young and will be alright long term but they’re not our players. It needs a complete overhaul in there for next season.

Up front we need to keep Rose and Wilson is decent. I’m not bothered if Pyke stays as he’s not a central striker and other than a couple of good games wide right he’s flattered to deceive.

One of the few good things is that actually some of our best players recently have been the additions in January so if Artell and the recruitment chap can do similar in the summer then we might see an improvement. I don’t think you can exaggerate just how poor the squad was that he inherited. Other than Conteh and Rose it was miles short of the squad we had when we got promoted and that side finished 6th in the NL. Lots of work to do and it’s so depressing after the high hopes in August
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 169
Mappers
March 24, 2024, 9:19am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
Yesterday was the first home game I’ve missed in a while but by the sounds of it I didn’t miss much. Ultimately it appears it comes down to the fact that we just don’t have much quality available. After this recent unbeaten run of hard fought points won I’ve seen some suggest that we don’t need wholesale changes to the squad for next season. And whilst that would be nice I think if we want to progress at all then we’re going to need a serious injection of quality across the board.

Neither goalkeepers are good enough. I know Cartwright has had a couple of good games recently but right now he’s not anywhere near consistent enough and I’ve never been impressed with his shot stopping. Eastwood has about as much confidence as I would have if I had to fight Tyson Fury and is so mentally fragile that really he should consider a different career.

In the defence Tharme looks like a decent L2 stopper and Hume, if we can get him to stay, looks decent too. Mullarkey and Rodgers would be okay back ups but if we want to progress we need better. At right back, Clifton’s defensive side of the game is good and has energy to burn but he can’t play football. And Maher and Glennon are almost certainly on their way out and both are NL standard anyway.

Midfield in the big issue. Thompson has been a good signing but is lacking in mobility. He reads the game very well and has the ability to consistently look after the ball. If you put two quality players next to him then you’d have a good midfield for this level. The problem right now is none of the other midfielders are FL standard. Clifton can’t play midfield. Holohan and Green aren’t FL standard and struggle to do the basics well. Wood and Andrews are very young and will be alright long term but they’re not our players. It needs a complete overhaul in there for next season.

Up front we need to keep Rose and Wilson is decent. I’m not bothered if Pyke stays as he’s not a central striker and other than a couple of good games wide right he’s flattered to deceive.

One of the few good things is that actually some of our best players recently have been the additions in January so if Artell and the recruitment chap can do similar in the summer then we might see an improvement. I don’t think you can exaggerate just how poor the squad was that he inherited. Other than Conteh and Rose it was miles short of the squad we had when we got promoted and that side finished 6th in the NL. Lots of work to do and it’s so depressing after the high hopes in August

The January recruitment has to go down as a win 4/5  have improved us to varying degrees . We will probably need to do similiar but double or more to have any sort of success next time out - Do we have the resource to recruit probably 10 players of that standard or better though?

We should try hard for Hume  , but will it be we were the shop window rather than his final destination ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 9:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

The January recruitment has to go down as a win 4/5  have improved us to varying degrees . We will probably need to do similiar but double or more to have any sort of success next time out - Do we have the resource to recruit probably 10 players of that standard or better though?

We should try hard for Hume  , but will it be we were the shop window rather than his final destination ?

Tharme, Thompson are Hume are better than what we had.

The summer recruitment didn’t work but oddly enough in recent weeks Rodgers & Mullarkey have looked better and it’s Clifton, Holohan & Green that have been exposed for the level they are actually at.

Hurst seems to have got a lot wrong in the last summer but maybe there was more to fix than we anticipated.

I think JS is right you have to & can run a club sustainably, whether that results in performance on the pitch well in the current world of the EFL I’m not sure.

Lots have things about are club have improved, but when you look at our current side & league position it’s hard to identify what in terms of the first team squad & performances where you can say we’ve moved forward.

Like you say Mappers we just need to finish above the line & see what Artell can do.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 169
Marinerdeano
March 24, 2024, 9:44am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27

In terms of actual league placings we are no better off than with Fenty, which is not something I thought I would write. Doing nothing substantial but keeping the costs down has been equally successful as doing lots but not spending substantially more on top players is giving us similar outcomes.

I was member a hoop when the new owners came in, but unless we are going to make really substantial improvements to BP, or actually get a new training facility then everything should be focused on getting better players in during the summer.

If long term plans are just that, then bobbing along in the lower reaches of league 2 or worse won't keep the fans enthused enough.

I think getting out of NL, making key but not always tangible improvements to BP (ground and pitch) and sustaining the books over 3 seasons isn't a bad foundation and was priority.  This season has undoubtedly been a blip on the pitch when considering progress, so next really is quite important in terms of intent. By the way 'member a hoop' is a wonderful swear filter!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 169
1mickylyons
March 24, 2024, 10:09am
Special Brew Drinker
The biggest problem for 1878 is going to be convincing 6500 home supporters to keep coming through the turnstiles foe tgd fayre on offer.We can't sugar coat it were force fed crap on a regular basis regardless of manager and team and frankly I'm sick of it. The other stuff off the pitch matters of course but I like I suspect most of the 6500 just want to come to Blundell Park and watch my team play well and compete we've been short changed for 20 years. The priority for 1878 must be to sort out the first team everything else should be secondary to that in my opinion. Failure to heed the above will be reflected in the gates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 24, 2024, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons
The biggest problem for 1878 is going to be convincing 6500 home supporters to keep coming through the turnstiles foe tgd fayre on offer.We can't sugar coat it were force fed crap on a regular basis regardless of manager and team and frankly I'm sick of it. The other stuff off the pitch matters of course but I like I suspect most of the 6500 just want to come to Blundell Park and watch my team play well and compete we've been short changed for 20 years. The priority for 1878 must be to sort out the first team everything else should be secondary to that in my opinion. Failure to heed the above will be reflected in the gates.

Running a sustainable and successful Football League club is a laudable ambition but I’m not convinced that it’s possible without serious investment in the infrastructure as well. By that, I mean tens of millions not the odd million here and there.

Either that or we lower our sights and accept that we will yo-yo in and out of the league. I don’t think the owners would want that as a legacy.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 169
1mickylyons
March 24, 2024, 10:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Running a sustainable and successful Football League club is a laudable ambition but I’m not convinced that it’s possible without serious investment in the infrastructure as well. By that, I mean tens of millions not the odd million here and there.

Either that or we lower our sights and accept that we will yo-yo in and out of the league. I don’t think the owners would want that as a legacy.

I'm still puzzled that Harrogate, Morecambe, Crawley, Accy,Newport  can all manage much better than us in league 2 despite getting roughly 1/3 of our gates/income? The sums don't add up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 169
rancido
March 24, 2024, 10:33am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Quoted from MuddyWaters

In that case do you expect JD and AP to " invest' or donate tens of millions to help the club maintain it's league status?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 169
cannylad65
March 24, 2024, 10:36am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +87
Gold Stars: 6
I know I will get hammered for this but, Artell should play Clifton in midfield, he is better there than Green, Holohan, Wood and Andrews. Play Smith at right wing back, he did very well when coming on as a substitute.

I would like to think that both Bramwell and Braithwate will get a chance at some point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 169
Zmariner
March 24, 2024, 10:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Approval: +2,132
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think we do okay with season ticket sales as long as we are in the football league. Drop into the National League and it will be a crisis as most that I know would not renew. The idea of supporting a yo-yo team between the National League and the lowest division is not acceptable to most of us, and that is the challenge for the owners as there will be a huge drop-in numbers
For me, there is 10 times more satisfaction in a one nil win against Swindon than an eight nil win against Eastleigh, this is the challenge of the National League, generally it is very easy to win games, but unless you are top of the league it is tedious
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 169
Yoda
March 24, 2024, 10:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
I like JS and AP but it’s obvious they are not going to put any more money in or don’t have any more money to put in.
If they had they would of bought the training ground at Immingham that would of been seen as a massive step forward.
So what’s next i don’t know probably league 2 strugglers until we eventually drop through again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 169
GrimPol
March 24, 2024, 11:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -683
Quoted from pen penfras

He's not really in charge, is he? Had no choice in any of his staff, not even his assistant manager. Signings were all players we'd spoken to in the summer.

Hurst was sacked because he signed his own players and didn't play passing football. Yes, results contributed but the statement was that the data was good and we'd been unlucky in several games. When that was the case 12 months earlier there was no consideration in sacking him.

Artell brought in to play passing football and sticks to it religiously until a meeting happens. He's apparently not told to change the style but we do and revert to the type of football he was so critical of just 2 weeks earlier.

A mess is spot on. Never gets any better for us.

No, PH was sacked because our results were sending us towards NL. We never had the luxury or even discussed the style of play as we were busy looking over our shoulders at the looming NL and virtually from the off. I started panicking in early September. If we played oomper looper style, but got the results he would have still been at Grimsby.

I can understand Wrexham fans filling out the away end, they were on a high and smelt blood. But what drove Town fans for a sell-out crowd? To catch a glimpse of "Hollywood" to roar on a revitalised Town, or some masochistic bent to watch our team lose, as quite a lot on this forum can't believe people are ventilating as we weren't going to beat them anyway!  I expect a lot had in their mind that there was a cunning plan.
Someone on this forum counts our passes and has concluded that we can't pass more than or four times before losing it. He's so right, we can't pass, and yet DA assumes we can and plays the matches that way. He belives his hype. There was another way of approach, but I feel DA hasn't managed many teams and understands that sometimes parking the bus is required and going for an extended unbeaten run and not erode our goal difference which could be vital at the final analysis. Not very entertaining, I agree, but a 0-0 draw would have been much more palatable.
All in all a bad day at BP, and I can't console myself that we played well, indeed I can't think of a match where we dominated and looked comfortable on the ball compared to the opposition.
Yet we have games in hand a 6-point lead, and a better goal difference than the others so onto Barrow and hope we do indeed have a Good Friday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 169
TownSNAFU5
March 24, 2024, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,885
Gold Stars: 42
Looking at the game from Cartwright’s viewpoint.   First goal, good shot against the wind.  Error.  But he would reasonably expect someone to stop the break.  A tackle or foul.  This was their first attack.

The defensive cover unnerves him probably more than he undermines the defence.  

Second goal:  second attack.  Cartwright possibly having a breather as we had a corner.  5 seconds later he had half the red army bearing down on - at pace.  Similar to United v Liverpool at the end of the FAC match.

This much have been frightening,  again no cover.  They scored with a great shot, hit hard.

Cartwright was ok for the rest of the game.  A young keeper will make mistakes.  If you don’t want this sign a better keeper.  A good defence and midfield would improve his confidence and performance.

A Wrexham fan on here said that we need pace.  Absolutely. And clinical finishing.   We made this worse by building so slowly.  

He also said we needed a big striker.  If so, more balls would have gone into the box and their defenders would have dominated.

We needed the guile, movement and intensity of Danny Rose to try and unsettle them.

Wrexham were as good as they needed to be. No more.

Whenever we have the wind behind us (last couple of seasons) we often overhit passes.  We do
Not learn.  This even continued sometimes against the wind in the second half.  Crosses to keeper or not beating a defender.  

Cartwright put his usual 4 or 5 kicks straight into touch.  Yes very windy,  but put less power on kicks.  Wrexham. Got it right.

A positive:  Thompson has the skill and the nous. Good players like Peter Reid and the Liverpool midfielder signed from Blackpool eg did not have pace.  As others have said, add energy and youth alongside him.  Not Clifton.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 11:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Looking at the game from Cartwright’s viewpoint.   First goal, good shot against the wind.  Error.  But he would reasonably expect someone to stop the break.  A tackle or foul.  This was their first attack.

The defensive cover unnerves him probably more than he undermines the defence.  

Second goal:  second attack.  Cartwright possibly having a breather as we had a corner.  5 seconds later he had half the red army bearing down on - at pace.  Similar to United v Liverpool at the end of the FAC match.

This much have been frightening,  again no cover.  They scored with a great shot, hit hard.

Cartwright was ok for the rest of the game.  A young keeper will make mistakes.  If you don’t want this sign a better keeper.  A good defence and midfield would improve his confidence and performance.

A Wrexham fan on here said that we need pace.  Absolutely. And clinical finishing.   We made this worse by building so slowly.  

He also said we needed a big striker.  If so, more balls would have gone into the box and their defenders would have dominated.

We needed the guile, movement and intensity of Danny Rose to try and unsettle them.

Wrexham were as good as they needed to be. No more.

Whenever we have the wind behind us (last couple of seasons) we often overhit passes.  We do
Not learn.  This even continued sometimes against the wind in the second half.  Crosses to keeper or not beating a defender.  

Cartwright put his usual 4 or 5 kicks straight into touch.  Yes very windy,  but put less power on kicks.  Wrexham. Got it right.

A positive:  Thompson has the skill and the nous. Good players like Peter Reid and the Liverpool midfielder signed from Blackpool eg did not have pace.  As others have said, add energy and youth alongside him.  Not Clifton.  

I see things very similar.

Could be argued that the first came from Holohan not properly winning a ball in midfield & nobody from that part of the pitch getting close to the scorer.

The second goal came when Wilson didn’t have the conviction to keep/win the ball bark on the edge of their box.

Our strikers couldn’t get the ball to stick and Thompson carried the midfield until the subs came on.

They are better than us 1 - 11 but we’re better (just) than yesterday’s performance

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 169
TownSNAFU5
March 24, 2024, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
To add:

Comments that we were mentally weak after the first goal.  Not sure.  We conceded again soon.  At 2-0 so early in the game it was very difficult, They had some good players back.

We were out-muscled though.  They were stronger in the tackle, at keeping possession and regaining possession.  They were also still working hard in the last 20 minutes.  They moved into space well,  overlapping at pace.  We had few answers.  

We should still have put a foot in more. We are too nice.

Besides having a very young keeper we also had a teenage loan striker, who was marked out the game (bar his one shot).  Our realistic hopes was probably no more than another home defeat.

A clear out needed.  Far more difficult will be getting the  numbers in and the right mix of players
in.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 169
devs
March 24, 2024, 12:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Quoted from cannylad65
I know I will get hammered for this but, Artell should play Clifton in midfield, he is better there than Green, Holohan, Wood and Andrews. Play Smith at right wing back, he did very well when coming on as a substitute.

I would like to think that both Bramwell and Braithwate will get a chance at some point.

Clifton is as poor in midfield possession as Holohan and Green - everything 100mph and no control, composure

If you mean yesterday then Smith did not come on as sub

Bramwell and Braithwaite have virtually no experience at L2 level and you wouldn't throw them into a relegation dog fight

Apart from that I agree with your post!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 169
IlkleyMariner
March 24, 2024, 12:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Think we should put our efforts into the next, and last 8 games and forget about next season.

Hopefully both Sutton and FGR have enough difficult games ahead to lose most of them, leaving us to scratch six points or so from somewhere.

Surely we have shown enough battling qualities to survive this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 169
devs
March 24, 2024, 12:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Artell has set us up so we are very difficult to beat  OK, didn't work yesterday (largely down to players not been quite sharp enough and their multi-thousand pound quality) but over past 6 games it has worked pretty well
But therein lies the problem
When we need some class, composure and that elusive bit of quality we are sadly lacking

Had FGR or MK drawn level in recent home games I honestly feel there'd only have been one winner

We should have enough to stay up but if we don't it won't be because of the disastrous spell of 21 goals in 5 home games it'll be down to an overall lack of quality in the final third throughout the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 24, 2024, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

In that case do you expect JD and AP to " invest' or donate tens of millions to help the club maintain it's league status?

I'm saying that, without a massive windfall or a serious level of investment, we need to accept that our ceiling is much lower than many want it to be. Who's JD by the way?
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 169
cannylad65
March 24, 2024, 12:38pm
Beer Drinker
Devs,

So you are saying you prefer Holohan to Clifton in midfield?

Read carefully, I said Bramwell and Braithwaite at 'some point', not now, only when we are safe from relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 169
arryarryarry
March 24, 2024, 12:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MaccasBoots

Again, FFS, there was a full crowd, cheering them from the start that had no effect on the the way we played, that was down to poor quality players who could not defend, had difficulty passing to their own players and created diddly squat up front.

If the players feel let down by fans leaving early they should be looking at themselves as to why some of them were crap.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 24, 2024, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Again, FFS, there was a full crowd, cheering them from the start that had no effect on the the way we played, that was down to poor quality players who could not defend, had difficulty passing to their own players and created diddly squat up front.

If the players feel let down by fans leaving early they should be looking at themselves as to why some of them were crap.

What amazed me was that one of the main protagonists threw his arms in the air when he was subbed off!
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 169
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 24, 2024, 12:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from cannylad65
Devs,

So you are saying you prefer Holohan to Clifton in midfield?

Read carefully, I said Bramwell and Braithwaite at 'some point', not now, only when we are safe from relegation.

I am not a great fan of Clifton, a fact I’ve posted on many occasions over the years, however, I actually agree with you in regards he is a better option than either Green or Holohan as he’s actually mobile and fit. None of the three has a good first touch or can pass a ball, how the hell did the club get into such a position?, but at least HC would give us energy in there. That said I was not impressed with Smith but it was against Donny where nobody came out too well. Wood actually looked very good on the ball yesterday but lacks experience and physicality but needs to get a lot more minutes in the second half of games. Andrews should start before Green and it’s a pity we haven’t really been able to see what Ainley has to off as his experience could be invaluable and he has to be an improvement on Green.

Up front I would go with Rose and Wilson for experience and hopefully better finishers than their rivals.

Finally, don’t share the accolades for Hume who to me is decent but like Glennon is woefully lacking in pace hence he was hooked yesterday. He’s ok going forward but his delivery is not up to Glennon’s standards so any improvement is marginal and we need more athletic and talented full backs next season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 1:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I am not a great fan of Clifton, a fact I’ve posted on many occasions over the years, however, I actually agree with you in regards he is a better option than either Green or Holohan as he’s actually mobile and fit. None of the three has a good first touch or can pass a ball, how the hell did the club get into such a position?, but at least HC would give us energy in there. That said I was not impressed with Smith but it was against Donny where nobody came out too well. Wood actually looked very good on the ball yesterday but lacks experience and physicality but needs to get a lot more minutes in the second half of games. Andrews should start before Green and it’s a pity we haven’t really been able to see what Ainley has to off as his experience could be invaluable and he has to be an improvement on Green.

Up front I would go with Rose and Wilson for experience and hopefully better finishers than their rivals.

Finally, don’t share the accolades for Hume who to me is decent but like Glennon is woefully lacking in pace hence he was hooked yesterday. He’s ok going forward but his delivery is not up to Glennon’s standards so any improvement is marginal and we need more athletic and talented full backs next season.

I thought Andrews looked decent when he came on yesterday it it’s hard to tell as at 3 - 0 up Wrexham weren’t really getting stuck into him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 169
Eastendmariner
March 24, 2024, 2:01pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
We need to take each game as it comes. The league table doesn’t lie we’ve been  poor but hopefully we can improve enough to stay clear of the bottom 2. Didn’t expect anything yesterday  so nothing gained but we are slightly in a better position than 5 weeks ago only when it’s confirmed when are safe can we really relax and build Barrow next week so another toughie. Missing Rose so hopeing he’s in for Bradford then we will see UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 169
TownSNAFU5
March 24, 2024, 2:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Wrexham fans say that they were very good yesterday.  Ratings of 2 x 9s, with 4 or 5 players getting 8s out of 10.

Cannon got a 9 from many posters, as MOTM and probably player of the season.

We were maybe a tad unfortunate that he had his shooting boots on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 169
Hagrid
March 24, 2024, 2:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Wrexham fans say that they were very good yesterday.  Ratings of 2 x 9s, with 4 or 5 players getting 8s out of 10.

Cannon got a 9 from many posters, as MOTM and probably player of the season.

We were maybe a tad unfortunate that he had his shooting boots on.

A standard league 2 goalkeeper saves both of them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 169
rancido
March 24, 2024, 4:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm saying that, without a massive windfall or a serious level of investment, we need to accept that our ceiling is much lower than many want it to be. Who's JD by the way?

Typo!!!! Meant JS - note to self, must proof read before posting lol

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 169
MuddyWaters
March 24, 2024, 5:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Typo!!!! Meant JS - note to self, must proof read before posting lol

I wish some would think before posting - not you obviously! 🤔😂
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 169
Maringer
March 24, 2024, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

A standard league 2 goalkeeper saves both of them.

Absolute nonsense as regards the second goal. Really well hit, close in, unimpeded shot and the angle wasn't that tight. Little chance for any keeper if it is hit as well as that and is on target.

I can't understand why the defender in the centre didn't go across to him as he ran through. Not sure who it was, but he stayed in the middle which was a terrible decision.

Utilmately, the difference between the two teams is pretty clear just from looking at the starting striker partnerships. Both Palmer and Mullin are hugely experienced, each having played hundreds of league games. Wilson has played not far off a hundred (which surprised me a little), but is in his highest-scoring season in the league. That's with 5 goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 169
toontown
March 24, 2024, 6:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
I thought we had some particularly poor performances yesterday, Cartwright obviously but also it was tharmes worse game in a town shirt, terrible clearance giving the opportunity for the second goal and continually giving the ball away when attempting long passes upfield. Even his long throws were worse than normal although that might have been just good defending from Wrexham.

Hume was poor as well, holohan and green were anonymous and Wilson and obikwu offered nothing at all albeit they were feeding on scraps. Thompson motm for me and the subs improved us a bit bar Pyke but Wrexham were in cruise control by then anyway.

Wrexham barely had to get in 2nd gear to beat us.

I can't believe some people want Cartwright to stay next year, he's an adequate back up keeper I.e. emergency option and that's it. Eastwood isn't even that really but we are stuck with him for another year so we need a proper GK bringing in in the summer. In time cartwright will be good but that's in a few years and he isn't even our player anyway so we'd be accepting current mediocrity to improve another teams player.

We really missed rose today although I can't see it wouldve changed the ultimate outcome of the match.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 169
friskneymariner
March 24, 2024, 7:00pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Makes you wonder what Hurst saw in Eastwood,Vernham and Hunt to give them such long contract,whilst he would not give Crocombe a 2 year one,that decision may come back to bite us,

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 169
Heisenberg
March 24, 2024, 7:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner
Makes you wonder what Hurst saw in Eastwood,Vernham and Hunt to give them such long contract,whilst he would not give Crocombe a 2 year one,that decision may come back to bite us,

There’s a chance we’ll see Crocombe back at BP next season……playing L2 football with Burton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 169
RonMariner
March 24, 2024, 7:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,733
Gold Stars: 226
We are reliant on a young kid in goal because the other keeper is very poor indeed. I have no doubt that Hursts management of that position has cost us several points this season. Letting Max go and replacing him with these two was definitely a mistake.  It’s unfair on Cartwright to expect him to be the consistent finished article with effectively no capable backup.

The other disastrous mistake was letting Orsi go. He is on course to score 20 goals this season. I am pretty sure we would have a few more points with him in the squad too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 169
Chrisblor
March 24, 2024, 7:48pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,876
Quoted from Maringer

Absolute nonsense as regards the second goal. Really well hit, close in, unimpeded shot and the angle wasn't that tight. Little chance for any keeper if it is hit as well as that and is on target.

Absolute nonsense, it goes through his hands:

Of course the outfield players shouldn't be scythed through on the counter like they were, but a league two standard keeper has to be saving a shot like that.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 169
Maringer
March 24, 2024, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Looks an easy save in slow motion, but they always do. It was hit very cleanly and very accurately with no defenders anywhere close enough to have any sort of an impact. You often see  shots like this go straight through the keeper's hands. David Seaman used to be especially partial to them, I seem to recall. I suspect the keepers train to keep their bodies a bit lower with their arms out to reduce the amount of goal on view but a cleanly-struck shot above their heads doesn't give the time to react. They would probably concede more standing up to the shot as most are hit low from that sort of an angle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 8:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Of course the outfield players shouldn't be scythed through on the counter like they were, but a league two standard keeper has to be saving a shot like that.

Agree completely, word on the street is that Max’s agent had courted longer term offers/ much better wage PE before the end of last season. We could match one element appropriately but not both.

Harvey shouldn’t be learning his trade at this level with a club in jeopardy of relegation, not his fault and I doubt he was brought here to be the number one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 169
Northbank Mariner
March 24, 2024, 8:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

I said at that time you could see where that ball was aimed and a more experienced keeper runs out to close the gap, then makes himself big, something Peter Schmeichel was an absolute master at
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 169
chaos33
March 24, 2024, 8:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,936
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from toontown
I thought we had some particularly poor performances yesterday, Cartwright obviously but also it was tharmes worse game in a town shirt, terrible clearance giving the opportunity for the second goal and continually giving the ball away when attempting long passes upfield. Even his long throws were worse than normal although that might have been just good defending from Wrexham.

Hume was poor as well, holohan and green were anonymous and Wilson and obikwu offered nothing at all albeit they were feeding on scraps. Thompson motm for me and the subs improved us a bit bar Pyke but Wrexham were in cruise control by then anyway.

Wrexham barely had to get in 2nd gear to beat us.

I can't believe some people want Cartwright to stay next year, he's an adequate back up keeper I.e. emergency option and that's it. Eastwood isn't even that really but we are stuck with him for another year so we need a proper GK bringing in in the summer. In time cartwright will be good but that's in a few years and he isn't even our player anyway so we'd be accepting current mediocrity to improve another teams player.

We really missed rose today although I can't see it wouldve changed the ultimate outcome of the match.

Agree with all that, up to the points about the keepers.
Not at all sure what to conclude about their relative merits.
We were poor defensively and our retention/use of the ball was dreadful. Really, really poor. Way bigger issues than the keeper position in my view.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 9:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I said at that time you could see where that ball was aimed and a more experienced keeper runs out to close the gap, then makes himself big, something Peter Schmeichel was an absolute master at

That’s his inexperience showing, not his fault as maybe he was looking to not get beat on his near post, thought he could have had stronger hands.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 169
Running like emson
March 24, 2024, 9:16pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 8
Was sat right behind that shot - would have been an unbelievable save to keep it out - slo-mo side-on angle is a bit misleading tbf
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 9:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Running like emson
Was sat right behind that shot - would have been an unbelievable save to keep it out - slo-mo side-on angle is a bit misleading tbf

Fair point 👍

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 169
Mappers
March 25, 2024, 6:16am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Tharme, Thompson are Hume are better than what we had.

The summer recruitment didn’t work but oddly enough in recent weeks Rodgers & Mullarkey have looked better and it’s Clifton, Holohan & Green that have been exposed for the level they are actually at.

Hurst seems to have got a lot wrong in the last summer but maybe there was more to fix than we anticipated.

I think JS is right you have to & can run a club sustainably, whether that results in performance on the pitch well in the current world of the EFL I’m not sure.

Lots have things about are club have improved, but when you look at our current side & league position it’s hard to identify what in terms of the first team squad & performances where you can say we’ve moved forward.

Like you say Mappers we just need to finish above the line & see what Artell can do.

I think it's difficult to argue now that money doesn't equal success just by looking at the leagues .

Whether league 2 will be slightly easier next season , time will tell I guess but getting rid of the big spenders might help making it a more even playing field hopefully .

I do like the idea of trying to run at a sustainable level tbf , but I don't get why some people are terrified at the thought of throwing money at it - yes there are lot's of bad examples, of bad owners  but using large investment to move the club upto standard and forward on the field whilst being mindful and having the fall back option of going back to running at a sustainable level wouldn't put the club at risk ; it's not like good ownership + heavy capital can't exist together is it . Maybe they just can't find anyone who wants to plough some money in who shares their values /wants to invest in a lowly league 2 team although after our promotion Stockwood effectively said people were wanting to invest 'it's easy to raise investment when you are doing well ' or something along those lines ; they must have either not been the right people or he felt we didn't need it then .

We will stay above the line Herts I am confident of that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 169
chaos33
March 25, 2024, 6:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,936
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Mappers

I think it's difficult to argue now that money doesn't equal success just by looking at the leagues .

Whether league 2 will be slightly easier next season , time will tell I guess but getting rid of the big spenders might help making it a more even playing field hopefully .

I do like the idea of trying to run at a sustainable level tbf , but I don't get why some people are terrified at the thought of throwing money at it - yes there are lot's of bad examples, of bad owners  but using large investment to move the club upto standard and forward on the field whilst being mindful and having the fall back option of going back to running at a sustainable level wouldn't put the club at risk ; it's not like good ownership + heavy capital can't exist together is it . Maybe they just can't find anyone who wants to plough some money in who shares their values /wants to invest in a lowly league 2 team although after our promotion Stockwood effectively said people were wanting to invest 'it's easy to raise investment when you are doing well ' or something along those lines ; they must have either not been the right people or he felt we didn't need it then .

We will stay above the line Herts I am confident of that

I think it’s reasonable to claim that money increases your chances of success, for the most part - you look at the current top 4 in L2 and you see the big budgets and the bankrolling, but they’re not all guaranteed promotion. Look at the teams from 5th (Crewe) down to 13th (Harrogate) and these are all teams with comparable and, in some cases, possibly inferior resources to ours and they’re all competitive and with a stake in promotion via the play offs. That tells us a lot.
Then you have Notts, Bradford and FGR - all above average budgets I suspect, but either ‘also tans’ or, in the case of the vegetablists, in the sh1t.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 169
March 25, 2024, 7:52am
Guest User
Harrogate are bank rolled, I’m pretty sure of it.
Reply: 115 - 169
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 25, 2024, 8:31am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

I think it’s reasonable to claim that money increases your chances of success, for the most part - you look at the current top 4 in L2 and you see the big budgets and the bankrolling, but they’re not all guaranteed promotion. Look at the teams from 5th (Crewe) down to 13th (Harrogate) and these are all teams with comparable and, in some cases, possibly inferior resources to ours and they’re all competitive and with a stake in promotion via the play offs. That tells us a lot.
Then you have Notts, Bradford and FGR - all above average budgets I suspect, but either ‘also tans’ or, in the case of the vegetablists, in the sh1t.

Interesting debate and clearly where Stockport and Wrexham benefit from their financial support is in the quality and numbers of their respective strike forces. Your point about teams down to 13th is also valid. I missed the Barrow match but in all honesty I haven’t seen an outstanding side at BP this season. The teams visiting us have often looked better organised, more athletic and more physical but despite some atrocious results I’ve not sat there drooling over how much better the opposition is. Think most of the sides are bog standard L2 teams problem being we aren’t even that and despite the criticism of the defence on Saturday I believe that most problems came about because of our poor midfield who, other than Thompson, gave our defenders little protection and gave our forwards no decent passes or support to create chances.

We have had difficulty assembling a decent midfield for many years now, best probably being second half of the 2016 promotion season, and this area needs a massive improvement going forwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 169
Poojah
March 25, 2024, 8:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,613
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from 140381
Harrogate are bank rolled, I’m pretty sure of it.

They are. Their owner is the founder and chairman of Strata Homes.

https://thestrayferret.co.uk/harrogate-town-post-1-2-million-loss/

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 169
Mappers
March 25, 2024, 9:07am
Champagne Drinker

Interesting debate and clearly where Stockport and Wrexham benefit from their financial support is in the quality and numbers of their respective strike forces. Your point about teams down to 13th is also valid. I missed the Barrow match but in all honesty I haven’t seen an outstanding side at BP this season. The teams visiting us have often looked better organised, more athletic and more physical but despite some atrocious results I’ve not sat there drooling over how much better the opposition is. Think most of the sides are bog standard L2 teams problem being we aren’t even that and despite the criticism of the defence on Saturday I believe that most problems came about because of our poor midfield who, other than Thompson, gave our defenders little protection and gave our forwards no decent passes or support to create chances.

We have had difficulty assembling a decent midfield for many years now, best probably being second half of the 2016 promotion season, and this area needs a massive improvement going forwards.

Yeah I have to agree they haven't looked great in general have they , we have just managed to be worse the majority of the time ; our inability to stay in games frustrates me I must admit we don't just go 1 or 2 down do we , when we do it's 3 or 4 and game gone .

I am more giving the view about financing based on longer term rather than this season in isolation or teams that are anomalies , in one off seasons .

I sort of get the feeling that when Stockwood says sustainable he means - 'try and go through the leagues without spending much and improve the infrastructure ' it's like it's a project ,maybe experiment where they won't put the club at risk but do it their way . I might be way off , and they are putting money in so can run it the way they want I suppose knowing the clubs safe gives comfort at least but whether it can work (success on the pitch ) consistently I am very very dubious about tbh .

I suppose it's just wait ,see and hope .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 169
diehardmariner
March 26, 2024, 9:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,638
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Mappers

I think that's slightly harsh on Parkinson

I don't think he's a great manager by any means but so many fail to get teams over the line / achieve what their clubs expectations are , even with big resources so I think if he gets them to league one it will be a 'good go ' even if that's as far as he can take them ; he should be given a year or two to try and move them forward there aswell imo . It would be a different level though when they won't be the big hitters up there .

I think they're in their current position in spite of him rather than anything else.

His achievements there are a failed promotion bid with ridiculous levels of backing.
A successful promotion bid with even more backing, massively pushed all the way by a Chesterfield side that weren't paupers but didn't have that level of backing.
An ongoing promotion bid that could go either way, again with ridiculous levels of funding.

No mistake about it, their backing isn't as standout at this level.  Stockport, Mansfield and a few others are capable of throwing cash at it.  But still not to their levels.  But he's got the backing to bring in the likes of McLean and Fletcher this season.  He's already had Mullin, Palmer, Lee et al.   That's not normal for this level and any manager worth their salt would be able to more than get them over the line with that level of resource.  

Elliott Lee is ridiculously good for this level, it's almost embarrassing.

With that level of funding and ability to bring in players who are playing well below their natural level, they should be all conquering and playing champagne football.  Instead they're functional, effective but quite dull.  

He's a dinosaur and when he eventually gets the shove there, he'll well and truly get found out at his next job.
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 169
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 26, 2024, 9:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,282
Gold Stars: 306
For me there are some key differences that make up a decent side at this level and a bit of cash can make the difference:

1. A couple of decent strikers
2. A couple of standout players in other departments
3. The rest of the team being solid and dependable
4. Being well organised, doing what you're told to do on the pitch with a decent level of efficiency

You are almost always one injury away from a dip in form if that injury is one of your better players.

We struggle to meet any of the 4 criteria above. We seem to be getting close to no.4 and are halfway there with No.1

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 169
diehardmariner
March 26, 2024, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
I think that's a good summary really of our current position.

I think we've got potential and a good grounding, one that really shouldn't see us in this current predicament.  But we're incredibly fragile at the same time.  Too many positions where an injury leaves us buggered.

Our goals for (49) is really urine poor but isn't a reflection at all of the quality we have on offer up top.  I maintain that 95% of sides at this level would love a Danny Rose in their set-up, we're very fortunate to have him.  Equally so I think Wilson has shown, especially in recent weeks, that he's more than capable of starting games and is much more than someone to bring on for the last 20.  As third choice, Pyke isn't the worst. Add Obikwu to that mix and it really shouldn't be that bad at all.

At the back I think now we've added Tharme the blend is much better.  He's the solid one to the more expressive styles of Rodgers, Mullarkey and if he returns Maher.  It's not perfect but it's not dreadful.  Wingback wise I'm very comfortable with Clifton and Hume, would also be so if they slotted in as fullbacks in a back four.    Cover wise I'm a bit less comfortable.  Glennon too hit and miss on the left and Mullarkey looks less and less a fullback every time I see him there, especially compared to his performances inside.

But it's the midfield that really does us in.  You essentially want two things from your midfield. 1) Protect your defence and 2) provide for your attack.  For the vast majority of our season we've done neither.  Thompson does offer a better screening job than we've had for a long time.  The fireman analogy that Artell used for him is a very good one.  But he is limited with that, both in terms of mobility and also the frailties he has in front of him.  Green summed himself up perfectly on Saturday when he won possession, gave it away, won it back and then ended up slicing the ball out of play.  That doesn't just sum him up it sums the whole middle of the park for us, we're on a hiding to nothing and with all the huffing and puffing in the world, we ultimately surrender possession and get overrun.  There's not enough in there to dominate games, be it from an attacking or defensive perspective.  Creatively our midfield has offered nothing all season.  Eisa has chipped in with a few goals but you take that away and he literally gives you nothing at all. It's great if he's scoring every other week but when he isn't it's like having ten men because he can't/won't help out his defenders.  Holohan, who I think we look better with, is a less intense version of Green.  The good work he does is soon undone by himself.  Andrews, meh. Honestly I'd rather see Braithwaite getting time on the pitch than him, same for Wood.  We're developing kids for someone else and not really getting a lot in return for it.  I think Wood has got technical ability but far too wet behind the ears for what we need here and now.

As a best eleven, I don't think we're that far away from a more than ok side.  You add a very good creative midfielder in there who can dictate and influence play (think Jon Nolan levels of impact when he came here) and it changes everything.  We've got someone who can make things happen but the opposition have to think about it too.   But in terms of depth, lot more to do I'm afraid.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 169
lew chaterleys lover
March 26, 2024, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think that's a good summary really of our current position.

I think we've got potential and a good grounding, one that really shouldn't see us in this current predicament.  But we're incredibly fragile at the same time.  Too many positions where an injury leaves us buggered.

Our goals for (49) is really urine poor but isn't a reflection at all of the quality we have on offer up top.  I maintain that 95% of sides at this level would love a Danny Rose in their set-up, we're very fortunate to have him.  Equally so I think Wilson has shown, especially in recent weeks, that he's more than capable of starting games and is much more than someone to bring on for the last 20.  As third choice, Pyke isn't the worst. Add Obikwu to that mix and it really shouldn't be that bad at all.

At the back I think now we've added Tharme the blend is much better.  He's the solid one to the more expressive styles of Rodgers, Mullarkey and if he returns Maher.  It's not perfect but it's not dreadful.  Wingback wise I'm very comfortable with Clifton and Hume, would also be so if they slotted in as fullbacks in a back four.    Cover wise I'm a bit less comfortable.  Glennon too hit and miss on the left and Mullarkey looks less and less a fullback every time I see him there, especially compared to his performances inside.

But it's the midfield that really does us in.  You essentially want two things from your midfield. 1) Protect your defence and 2) provide for your attack.  For the vast majority of our season we've done neither.  Thompson does offer a better screening job than we've had for a long time.  The fireman analogy that Artell used for him is a very good one.  But he is limited with that, both in terms of mobility and also the frailties he has in front of him.  Green summed himself up perfectly on Saturday when he won possession, gave it away, won it back and then ended up slicing the ball out of play.  That doesn't just sum him up it sums the whole middle of the park for us, we're on a hiding to nothing and with all the huffing and puffing in the world, we ultimately surrender possession and get overrun.  There's not enough in there to dominate games, be it from an attacking or defensive perspective.  Creatively our midfield has offered nothing all season.  Eisa has chipped in with a few goals but you take that away and he literally gives you nothing at all. It's great if he's scoring every other week but when he isn't it's like having ten men because he can't/won't help out his defenders.  Holohan, who I think we look better with, is a less intense version of Green.  The good work he does is soon undone by himself.  Andrews, meh. Honestly I'd rather see Braithwaite getting time on the pitch than him, same for Wood.  We're developing kids for someone else and not really getting a lot in return for it.  I think Wood has got technical ability but far too wet behind the ears for what we need here and now.

As a best eleven, I don't think we're that far away from a more than ok side.  You add a very good creative midfielder in there who can dictate and influence play (think Jon Nolan levels of impact when he came here) and it changes everything.  We've got someone who can make things happen but the opposition have to think about it too.   But in terms of depth, lot more to do I'm afraid.

I think you are being a bit generous. We are 4th bottom for the simple reason we are not very good and most of our players wouldn't get in any other team.

We need major upgrades in all positions bar Rose to even threaten  the top half.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 169
louth_in_the_south
March 26, 2024, 10:47am

Exile
Spot on Lew .. might sound harsh on players but we’re 4th bottom for a reason, and only out the bottom 2 because we’ve luckily had 2 teams who are even worse. Absolutely terrible recruitment last summer and players who should’ve been moved on . I’d hope to see the vast majority go . And the manager tbh .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 169
DB
March 26, 2024, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Spot on Lew .. might sound harsh on players but we’re 4th bottom for a reason, and only out the bottom 2 because we’ve luckily had 2 teams who are even worse. I’d hope to see the vast majority go . And the manager tbh .

I agree with you and recall JS said something like 'They'll get the brush out at the end of the season'. Hopefully, we'll survive in L2 so let's hope we have a rebuild with promotion in mind.

Goals and winning at home will bring the fans in as will signing quality players help ST sales.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 169
Maringer
March 26, 2024, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Pace, pace, pace, pace. We have absolutely none in the squad.

Who is our fastest player? Clifton, perhaps, though he isn't exactly lightning quick? Obikwu when he gets up a head of steam, maybe?

The lack of pace was almost embarrassing for their second goal on Saturday as several of our players were left floundering as several of their players ran away from us.

We don't necessarily need a headless chicken to kick and run after the ball, just somebody who is quick enough over a few yards to reach balls that most players wouldn't get to, whether up front, in midfield or defence (and preferably, all three).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 169
TownSNAFU5
March 26, 2024, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Yes, Clifton even lacks any pace.  Or the ability to take a man on successfully.

Pace.  Yes.  Wrexham killed us with pace for their 2nd goal.  

Pace. Teams higher up the leagues have pace in many positions.  This will filter down the leagues over time.

In midfield I also want to see tackles going in to regain possession.

Play to our strengths (well what we have):   Put players in their best positions.

Our build-ups are so slow and predictable.  Defences (even poor ones) have time to re-group.  We need to catch them unprepared,giving them more to think about.

Strength: We need players who are physically stronger and can put a foot in. Too passive against Wrexham for their first 2 goals. Players should be mentally stronger as well.  Fight harder if we go a goal down.

Players with more skill who can pass accurately and move. This all takes money and a good eye for a player.  And attracting them to Grimsby.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 169
DB
March 26, 2024, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
All this pace business was evident in the opening game with the Dons. Hurst did tell us that with the new equipment at Cheapside and the new training regime our team would be strong in this dept.

Unfortunately, the lack of pace has been evident most of the season

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 169
toontown
March 26, 2024, 1:43pm
Whiskey Drinker

I think you are being a bit generous. We are 4th bottom for the simple reason we are not very good and most of our players wouldn't get in any other team.

We need major upgrades in all positions bar Rose to even threaten  the top half.

Yeah I was gonna say this - way too generous to both attack and defence. Wilson has shown glimpses nothing more, Pyke has shown he isn't a striker at league level and should never be being used there except as an emergency, not as much as a 3rd choice would be that's for sure.

In defence you've got players looking ok when we play a back 5, not a back 4 or a back 3 with wing backs, we've mostly played a back 5 when we've looked ok there. That isnt sustainable. It's what we need right now to grind out survival but you can't play a back 5 next year. Mullarkey is miles off it as FB, Glennon great going forward but a massive liability defensively, Maher and Rodgers not good enough in a back 4.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 169
diehardmariner
March 26, 2024, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Wilson has a goal every 1.62 games in the league.  That's exactly the same return from minutes per goal that the leagues top scorer, Macualay Langstaff, has.  Yes Langstaff has done it over a more sustained and consistent period but he's done it with a better supply line and consistently in the starting line-up, Wilson's season is very in-and-out of the team.

Am I saying Wilson is as good as Langstaff? No.  But I'm saying considering he's probably our second striker, that's not the area of biggest concern for me.  He and Rose are absolutely fine.  But if we could upgrade I'm all in for that.  Same as the defence, which has shown in the last month that it can shut up shop and keep sides out, again I'm not saying we shouldn't look to upgrade because we definitely need to.  

Front and back of our team needs remedial work.  The midfield needs a complete overhaul.  The point I was making is that at any point this season we could have brought in wholesale change in defence and attack (in fact we did in defence at one bit!) yet the problems wouldn't disappear because the midfield is so poor.
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 169
Maringer
March 26, 2024, 3:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm still not entirely convinced by Wilson as there have been some appearances where he was practically invisible, but I have to admit that he's done well to score as many as he has in spite of some pretty terrible service at times.

I think it's the fact that he's not an all-action striker like Rose and isn't as much of a handful unless the ball is played straight into his feet. He doesn't have the movement to cause the same problems as Rose but can be good at holding off the challenge of bigger defenders if the ball is played straight to him - a pity that the accuracy of our passing is so poor!

With more runners from midfield and some better delivery into the box, I suppose he could well score more goals, but we can't ignore the fact that his return of 5 goals this season is the best he's managed in League football (he has averaged a goal every 6 games in the Football League) and he's not exactly a young up and comer at the age of 27. It will be interesting to see if he does stay this summer, especially as he was apparently set to leave in January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 169
diehardmariner
March 26, 2024, 3:49pm
Vodka Drinker
I've felt the same way about Wilson at times and until very recent games felt he's only best utilised as an impact sub.  But then we've seen him used as more of a target man than someone to play off another, which I think most of us felt was his game.  I also get the lack of buzz around his history too, it isn't a record you look at and feel inspired by. I don't know enough about what happened at Sutton, but I do remember that a few of their fans said he just didn't get chance to be effective because whenever he played the balls just went long and over his head.  

The biggest issue up front all season is that we've tried to use Danny Rose as both the No 9 and the No 10 at the same time.  He's good enough to play both roles, but he can't do them both together.  Wilson as the 9 and Rose as the 10 and I think we see a far, far better (yet still lacking support from midfield) output in attack.

That wouldn't he much of a deviation from the games Wilson and Rose started together of late (FGR and AFC Wimbledon) but on both those occasions Rose was very, very deep to help out the midfield.

For what it's worth I don't think he'll stay here.  I think we'll lose him in the summer and I don't think Artell will fight to keep him really.  But I also think he'll go onto to do a very decent job for another club at this level, hopefully we'll get someone else in who can do an even better job in a Town shirt.
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 169
TownSNAFU5
March 26, 2024, 4:32pm
Vodka Drinker
A minor random point from Sat.  It was very windy - nothing new there.   But I have never seen the ball appear to go out of play so many times (%%for a throw) and then stay in play.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 169
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 26, 2024, 7:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
A minor random point from Sat.  It was very windy - nothing new there.   But I have never seen the ball appear to go out of play so many times (%%for a throw) and then stay in play.  

Not helped by the fact that we must be the worst team for retaining the ball from our throw ins in history. We are absolutely abysmal and there is never any movement from players showing for the ball and we don’t even use the tactic of throwing it down the line to get the opposition to put it out again so we can move forward territorially.

Something that’s been amiss under most of our recent managers and surely it’s an area that could be much improved through giving this increased attention at training.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 169
louth_in_the_south
March 26, 2024, 7:57pm

Exile
I saw far more in Orsi than I have in Wilson this year. Hes got a few goals but although he took his goal well at Gills he offered nothing else . At least Orsi would put himself about non stop . I don’t see any reason why we’d really want to keep Wilson and don’t see him being a success next season unlike Orsi has been this year for Crawley

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 169
RonMariner
March 26, 2024, 8:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
I saw far more in Orsi than I have in Wilson this year. Hes got a few goals but although he took his goal well at Gills he offered nothing else . At least Orsi would put himself about non stop . I don’t see any reason why we’d really want to keep Wilson and don’t see him being a success next season unlike Orsi has been this year for Crawley

Getting rid of Orsi was foolish. He is a 20 goal a season level striker at this level. How we could have done with him this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 169
Heisenberg
March 26, 2024, 8:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Getting rid of Orsi was foolish. He is a 20 goal a season level striker at this level. How we could have done with him this season.

I liked Orsi and wanted him to stay, but nobody knew he was a 20 goal a season man. Not you, not anyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 169
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2024, 8:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

I liked Orsi and wanted him to stay, but nobody knew he was a 20 goal a season man. Not you, not anyone.

The manager of Crawley seemed to have a good idea.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 169
rancido
March 26, 2024, 8:41pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

PH certainly didn't.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 169
grimsby pete
March 26, 2024, 8:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Orsi. was never given an extended run but when he did play I thought he did well .

He has scored 16 goals up to now so he is on for 20+ by the end of the season.

Hurst always had his favourites sadly Orsi. was not one of them neither was Cook another one I was sad to see leave.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 169
toontown
March 26, 2024, 8:59pm
Whiskey Drinker

Not helped by the fact that we must be the worst team for retaining the ball from our throw ins in history. We are absolutely abysmal and there is never any movement from players showing for the ball and we don’t even use the tactic of throwing it down the line to get the opposition to put it out again so we can move forward territorially.

Something that’s been amiss under most of our recent managers and surely it’s an area that could be much improved through giving this increased attention at training.

Absolutely this! I've thought it for years how bad we are compared to other teams (bar croppers period obviously!) but esp at the moment. It's so stark how truly bad we are at even doing the basics of throws.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 169
toontown
March 26, 2024, 9:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
I've felt the same way about Wilson at times and until very recent games felt he's only best utilised as an impact sub.  But then we've seen him used as more of a target man than someone to play off another, which I think most of us felt was his game.  I also get the lack of buzz around his history too, it isn't a record you look at and feel inspired by. I don't know enough about what happened at Sutton, but I do remember that a few of their fans said he just didn't get chance to be effective because whenever he played the balls just went long and over his head.  

The biggest issue up front all season is that we've tried to use Danny Rose as both the No 9 and the No 10 at the same time.  He's good enough to play both roles, but he can't do them both together.  Wilson as the 9 and Rose as the 10 and I think we see a far, far better (yet still lacking support from midfield) output in attack.

That wouldn't he much of a deviation from the games Wilson and Rose started together of late (FGR and AFC Wimbledon) but on both those occasions Rose was very, very deep to help out the midfield.

For what it's worth I don't think he'll stay here.  I think we'll lose him in the summer and I don't think Artell will fight to keep him really.  But I also think he'll go onto to do a very decent job for another club at this level, hopefully we'll get someone else in who can do an even better job in a Town shirt.

Pretty sure he'll go in the summer given Artell was happy for him to leave mid relegation battle when we only had 1 other first team striker who had scored a goal in men's football!

Personally I also think whilst he has looked better recently with all round play there are no signs to me of him and rose building up a partnership. They seem to both be able to play on the pitch at the same time and look to have good enough individual games but without linking up or having any kind of understanding. Personified by the recent game, can't remember which, were the keeper made an error near them both and they actually ran into and fell over reach other rather than actually create a chance out of the situation!

I don't think Wilson is terrible or anything, his goal to minutes ratio is good as you say but to add to the langstaff comparison I don't think notts would have let langstaff walk away from his contract for nowt in Jan - Artell was happy for Wilson to. I just think you're more generous in your opinion than me, you'd be happy with him staying as second choice, I'd be happy with him staying as 3rd choice if we bring in a better proper 2nd choice as a partner for rose.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 169
HerveJosse
March 26, 2024, 9:26pm
Champagne Drinker
PH decisions to not  play Orsi and let him go and to a lesser degree Manni were shockingly bad when you look at most of the forwards we have brought in instead. I feel our current postion  is more down to very poor signings/ retention and selection   rather than lack of budget. We need to see that change but only Artell is new the rest the back up staff and the transfer guru are unchanged so its far from clear it will .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 169
RonMariner
March 27, 2024, 8:30am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

No one has a crystal ball, but I would have thought that part of the job of being a manager is to access the ability of players they see day to day in the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 169
Mappers
March 27, 2024, 8:57am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

No one has a crystal ball, but I would have thought that part of the job of being a manager is to access the ability of players they see day to day in the squad.

I think most would agree he would at least have been a better 3rd/4th choice striker than someone who although came with decent reviews and a relatively high number of games in league 1 the season previous ; said player had played the previous 2 seasons as a RB/RWB which probably just about summaries some of our bizarre/terrible summer recruitment .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 169
Theimperialcoroner
March 27, 2024, 9:49am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,212
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from grimsby pete
Orsi. was never given an extended run but when he did play I thought he did well .

He has scored 16 goals up to now so he is on for 20+ by the end of the season.

Hurst always had his favourites sadly Orsi. was not one of them neither was Cook another one I was sad to see leave.

That was one of PHs down falls always having his favourites. Artell doesn’t seem to be the same, Wilson being a case in point. Do you imagine Hurst would have played him if he nearly left in a transfer window?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 169
acko338
March 27, 2024, 10:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
Sign George Lloyd up when Cheltenham get relegated - grafter, runner, scores a few, harrasses defenders, linked well with Rose last season, good stamina in the no 10 role that has been missing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 169
diehardmariner
March 27, 2024, 10:20am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

Orsi scored four goals in 1118 minutes for us (including 4 assists and with a good chunk of those minutes against higher league opposition).  That's pretty much a goal every 3 games.  You pan that over a full 46 game season and you get 15 goals.

There was certainly enough to suggest he had it within him to be a high teens/20 goals a season striker.

Hurst got it wrong.  Simple as.
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 169
rancido
March 27, 2024, 10:24am

Special Brew Drinker

Orsi scored four goals in 1118 minutes for us (including 4 assists and with a good chunk of those minutes against higher league opposition).  That's pretty much a goal every 3 games.  You pan that over a full 46 game season and you get 15 goals.

There was certainly enough to suggest he had it within him to be a high teens/20 goals a season striker.

Hurst got it wrong.  Simple as.

In the summer retention and recruitment, PH got a lot wrong and that's why we are in this position now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 169
diehardmariner
March 27, 2024, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from acko338
Sign George Lloyd up when Cheltenham get relegated - grafter, runner, scores a few, harrasses defenders, linked well with Rose last season, good stamina in the no 10 role that has been missing.

Whilst he hasn't scored or contributed for a couple of months at Cheltenham, he's generally impressed since coming back from injury earlier this season.  I imagine he'll be out of our reach now.

If Cheltenham go down, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him joining Hurst at Shrewsbury.
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 169
GrimPol
March 27, 2024, 10:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -683

You are quite right that there will be a mass exodus at the end of the season.
The most amazing thing about this season is that we are not in the drop zone, 2/3 teams are hell-bent in beating us to that wooden spoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 169
RonMariner
March 27, 2024, 10:45am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

You are quite right that there will be a mass exodus at the end of the season.
The most amazing thing about this season is that we are not in the drop zone, 2/3 teams are hell-bent in beating us to that wooden spoon.

Let’s hope so, but Sutton picking up 6 points recently shows that we can’t take it for granted. I think 46 points will see us safe given the fixtures the bottom two have ahead of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 169
cannylad65
March 27, 2024, 11:09am
Beer Drinker
The annoying thing about Orsi was that he was on contract, and wouldn't have cost us anything.

But as was pointed out earlier, he was not one of Hurst's favourites, confirmed by the lack of starts, mainly in the F.A. cup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 169
mariner91
March 27, 2024, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,668
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from acko338

Lloyd and Rose must have a really good understanding if they managed to link up well despite not even playing for the same team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 169
Brummie Codfather
March 27, 2024, 1:56pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 21
I liked Orsi but didn’t he leave because he wanted to go somewhere to be first choice and he wasn’t going to be here because we’d signed Danny Rose?

For all Orsi’s exploits this season hasn’t Rose scored a similar amount and offers more all round?  I don’t think you can argue he would have been first choice here so it was either let him go or have an unhappy player around the squad.  Just for what he did in the FA cup Id argue Orsi had earned the right to go and be first choice elsewhere if he wanted too.

It would also let him recover from that vicious assault he suffered at Southampton.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 169
diehardmariner
March 27, 2024, 2:32pm
Vodka Drinker
If we look at it as a one-in-one-out perspective, I'm taking Rose every single day of the week.

But Rose wasn't a replacement for Orsi, he was the replacement for Ryan Taylor that was 12-months overdue.  

Having Rose is great, I think having Rose and Orsi (who I agree would have been a really good pairing, on paper anyway) would have been even better especially if they were playing together.

It'll all comes back to the ongoing improvement argument. How often have we not improved on what we've let go?  Far too often in my opinion and that's why we're only in a very, very slightly better position than 3 years ago (on the pitch).

I liked Orsi, I thought he was underrated by an awful lot of people, including Hurst.  I don't have an issue with Hurst taking the viewpoint that he/we could get better.  But we didn't.
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 169
Northbank Mariner
March 27, 2024, 4:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Wish people could drop the "we shouldn't have let Orsi go"...he asked to leave, not only because he thought he wasn't getting a fair crack of the whip but also wanted to go back down south where his girlfriend and family live...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 169
forza ivano
March 27, 2024, 6:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,212
Gold Stars: 265
Wish people could drop the "we shouldn't have let Orsi go"...he asked to leave, not only because he thought he wasn't getting a fair crack of the whip but also wanted to go back down south where his girlfriend and family live...

Never let the facts get in the way of misconceptions...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 169
HerveJosse
March 27, 2024, 7:31pm
Champagne Drinker

You would  ask to leave if you had been picked for 4 league games all season and you saw the crap we had on loan playing a head of you Lloyd excluded
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 169
A Brace Of Tees
March 28, 2024, 1:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from acko338

Any clues as to why he'd want to leave his home town to move 200 miles across the country to play for a team teetering on the brink of the National League?

I'd be interested to hear your rationale for that one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 169
diehardmariner
March 28, 2024, 2:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

You would  ask to leave if you had been picked for 4 league games all season and you saw the crap we had on loan playing a head of you Lloyd excluded

And this is it.  Of course Orsi was going to be keen for a move away, he wasn't getting picked.

He came here from Harrogate so it's not like he signed for us thinking it's a return to his London roots and then realised it's not that much closer.  If he was picked more often, he would have been happier to stay.  
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 169
jamesgtfc
March 28, 2024, 6:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,996
Gold Stars: 190
The facts are, wanting to be back down south or not, we let a player go that we didn't give a decent run of games to, and he's now one of the top goalscorers in the division. With the exception of Danny Rose, who up front is an improvement on Orsi?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 169
ska face
March 28, 2024, 6:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,668
Gold Stars: 847
Another discussion about Orsi? Must be a day ending in “y”
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 169
IlkleyMariner
March 28, 2024, 6:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Ok
Let’s just accept it and move n.

It was a mistake to let him go. Paul probably lost his job in part because of the decision.

We have 8 games to ensure survival. Not something I thought I would be saying but that’s the reality.

Look forward not backwards. We can’t change backwards……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 169
Yoda
March 28, 2024, 7:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
We are in desperate trouble i do think we will scrape survival but a defeat to Colchester and Bradford could be fatal.
I just don’t see any fight in our players once we go behind. Also FGR have Doig if he gets match fit it could be a problem for us.
Hopefully we can scrape enough draws to keep us up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 169
jamesgtfc
March 28, 2024, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,996
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Yoda
We are in desperate trouble i do think we will scrape survival but a defeat to Colchester and Bradford could be fatal.
I just don’t see any fight in our players once we go behind. Also FGR have Doig if he gets match fit it could be a problem for us.
Hopefully we can scrape enough draws to keep us up.

If we can end the weekend as we currently are (6 points clear with a goal difference advantage) or better then we are almost there. If the gap is down to 3 points or less on Monday evening, then it's squeaky bum time.

After Monday, we have 6 games left, Colchester have 7 games left (that game could be huge for one or both of us), Sutton have 4 games left, and FGR have 5 games left. Best case scenario on Monday evening is that we are 12 points clear with superior goal difference.  Worst case scenario is we are level on points with the bottom 2. Realistically, we will probably be somewhere between 4 and 9 points clear. I fancy Sutton to do well against Salford and Swindon this weekend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 169
Maringer
March 28, 2024, 7:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
He's trolling as usual. Just ignore it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 169
diehardmariner
March 28, 2024, 7:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Another discussion about Orsi? Must be a day ending in “y”

Just wait until he scores the last minute winner on the final day, in perfect timing with former Town target Tom Hopper getting a Colchester winner. Both enough to impact on the table and send Town down.

Paul Hurst cupping his ear to the radio as he listens in on Town's plight.
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 169
ska face
March 28, 2024, 7:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,668
Gold Stars: 847
Sure Cameron Jerome will be involved somewhere
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 169
diehardmariner
March 28, 2024, 8:03pm
Vodka Drinker
He's recording a rap album with Omar Bogle on that day.
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 169
17 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.