mariner91
April 23, 2024, 3:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Stew0_0
Not sure if complete overall would be true statement as i wouldnt be adverse to this starting next year

GK
New keeper
New No.2

RB
New RB/WB x 2

LB
New LB/WB x 2

CB
Harvey Rodgers
Doug Tharme
Toby Mullarkey
Niall Maher (New Contract)

RW
2 x new wingers

LW
Charles Vernam
1 x new winger

CM
Curtis Thompson
Harry Clifton (offer new contract)
2 x new midfielders

ST
Danny Rose
2 x new striker
Donavan Wilson
Cameron Gardner

I would release, Eastwood, Hunt and Pyke from their contracts
All the out of contract players apart from Maher and Clifton let go.

All this meaning for a starting 11 we would have the spine mostly in place with the exception of GL, RB, LB, a winger and 1 or 2 CM's, ST

I'm glad you're not putting the squad together!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 159
acko338
April 23, 2024, 3:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
Got to get away from signing highly injury prone players just because they may come in at better value on terms, using us as stepping stones.

The ratio for success is low, meaning we still have to dip into a very hard to crack loan market each season.

Experience also costs money, but we need some proper fit ball players with no black and white colour blindness to actually pass well to our own players at a decent rate of speed.

Geographical location has always been a problem, so possibly look for players within a reasonable commute distance.

Can we improve the relationship with Hull city if we do need loans to enhance the squad after the permanent signings  or will their release list have any opportunities for us?

Are there any rough diamonds in other leagues such as Ireland or Scotland?

Going further afield could be problematic, but could also see what technical players could be found more cheaply.

Look at the Brighton process of conveyor belt production of fast skilful young players who can play well, impress and move on for a profit.

Can Town find a lower level at better prices?

Mr Hutchinson will be having a lot of time snd a red hot phone trying to give Artell names to supplement Artell's own wish list.

A couple of Conteh type signings in different positions would be great, even if we are being used as a step up the leagues for them.

Progress on a new training complex could also prove a selling point, so when will that move forward?

Are any new vetted investors going to come on board this year, not a lot happening on that score?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 159
DB
April 23, 2024, 4:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I don't know the names but how about 2/3 players in the mould of Wymark and Birtles?. It might cost a bit but these types of players don't have to think about running to get in a good position, because they have thought 2 moves ahead and are already there waiting for the ball.

There is also an added benefit that they can help younger players with their knowledge of the game.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 159
diehardmariner
April 23, 2024, 4:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Maringer

I wouldn't disagree with that but, other than Crocombe, I think the last commanding keeper we had was probably Davison (unless I'm forgetting somebody). A long time ago now! Henderson as well, of course, but we're not likely to sign somebody with his potential on loan again in a hurry. You don't get all that many 'commanding' keepers at this level which makes it doubly disappointing that we didn't try hard enough to retain Crocombe.

Mildenhall?

I don't think he was as spectacular a 'keeper as a McKeown, Crocombe or even someone like Danny Coyne.  But he was just very, very good all round and commanded his area with authority.  The improvement in Rob Jones between 2004/05 to 2005/06 is often talked about, the sports psychology he tapped into and the value in trusting someone beyond their first run of games. But I wonder how much of his improvement was down to having someone like Mildenhall behind him.
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 159
diehardmariner
April 23, 2024, 4:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from DB
I don't know the names but how about 2/3 players in the mould of Wymark and Birtles?. It might cost a bit but these types of players don't have to think about running to get in a good position, because they have thought 2 moves ahead and are already there waiting for the ball.

There is also an added benefit that they can help younger players with their knowledge of the game.

Artell built that youthful and developing Crewe side around the vastly experienced Paul Green, Nicky Hunt and Chris Dagnall through the spine.    

Our squad lacks experience, still.  Wouldn't shock me at all if we bring in a few older heads this summer.
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 159
LocalLadGTFC
April 23, 2024, 5:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from diehardmariner

Artell built that youthful and developing Crewe side around the vastly experienced Paul Green, Nicky Hunt and Chris Dagnall through the spine.    

Our squad lacks experience, still.  Wouldn't shock me at all if we bring in a few older heads this summer.

Hope we bring in a couple of winners aswell, lads that have been around promotion squads. Having that knack of knowing how to win games of football is very underrated.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 155 - 159
GrimPol
April 23, 2024, 7:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -785
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from RonMariner

I think some of the concerns are about the poor playing surfaces causing injury.

Cleeps Town looks decent to me, can't comment on Gy Borough.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 159
It Bites
April 23, 2024, 7:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,257
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from DB

Times have changed . Look at Charlie Austin on Saturday, his touch was woeful . Most of them type of players don’t need the money now
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 159
jamesgtfc
April 23, 2024, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner

Mildenhall?

I don't think he was as spectacular a 'keeper as a McKeown, Crocombe or even someone like Danny Coyne.  But he was just very, very good all round and commanded his area with authority.  The improvement in Rob Jones between 2004/05 to 2005/06 is often talked about, the sports psychology he tapped into and the value in trusting someone beyond their first run of games. But I wonder how much of his improvement was down to having someone like Mildenhall behind him.

You could also argue that not having Anthony Williams flapping around behind him was part of the upturn in Rob Jones form.

Mildenhall was a very solid keeper. As you say, a dependable all rounder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 159
Lost in Lincoln
April 24, 2024, 8:31am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You could also argue that not having Anthony Williams flapping around behind him was part of the upturn in Rob Jones form.

Mildenhall was a very solid keeper. As you say, a dependable all rounder.

Gee.  Thanks for that reminder.  I'd forgotten about him

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 159 - 159
16 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now the inquest

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.