HertsGTFC
April 20, 2024, 11:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,075
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I’ve seen enough good stuff from green in the last few weeks to think he deserves another chance . Looks a lot more capable given more freedom to play .

Green is a post Covid Luke Summerfield

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 159
mariner91
April 21, 2024, 12:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,838
Gold Stars: 264
The issue with keeping Green is that it’s almost universally agreed that our midfield has been our weakest part of a weak team this season. Yet we’ve already got Thompson signed which is great. Hunt is back who may or may not make the step up and is a bit of a gamble. We’ve got Khouri who has at times looked promising but it’s another gamble. And I suspect Ainley will be offered a contract. So if you also kept Green you’d have five central midfielders kept on from this season, not leaving much scope for major improvements.

I actually think under Artell that a fit Ainley could be a great addition to the midfield but I’d be uncomfortable just signing one new midfielder. And unless Hunt and Khouri were loaned out again in which case you’d argue why keep them at all, you’d end up with seven which seems excessive.  Green has improved recently in some games but is still extremely limited. Personally I’d gamble that we could find two players who are both better than he is and make big improvements to that area rather than stick with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 159
RonMariner
April 21, 2024, 12:17am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,915
Gold Stars: 233
I get the impression that the retained list will be punished very quickly after the Crawley game and that work on new transfer targets is well underway. At least I think so, the post match on YouTube had dreadful audio for some reason.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 159
RonMariner
April 21, 2024, 12:26am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,915
Gold Stars: 233
Sorry but if we are to challenge for a playoff spot next season we need players of Thompson’s quality across the midfield. We need a couple more like him. I think Green, Holohan , Hunt and Clifton are probably better off in the NL now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 159
dapperz fun pub
April 21, 2024, 12:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,083
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from RonMariner
Sorry but if we are to challenge for a playoff spot next season we need players of Thompson’s quality across the midfield. We need a couple more like him. I think Green, Holohan , Hunt and Clifton are probably better off in the NL now.

I wouldn’t keep any of the four you’ve mentioned either , we need better and Thompson has highlighted how poor just how poor these have been
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 159
Mariner93er
April 21, 2024, 1:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Green is a symbol of why we've endured another season at the bottom of league 2. Touted as the main transfer target that we had pursued all summer when we returned to the league, which is really a sobering thought.

Fair play, he always gives his all, but has poor technical ability, mobility and is often too gung ho when played deeper, leaving gaps in our midfielder, which is why I'm suspecting Artell hasn't played him too deep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 159
Yoda
April 21, 2024, 2:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,190
Gold Stars: 73
Hurst would of taken us down again i’m sure of that.
Artell redeemed himself after a disastrous start to his town career.
I think Stockwood is expecting a large drop off of season ticket renewals this summer which will effect player budget.
We also have a fair few players on two year deals which we are stuck with so DA has a little bit of scope for improvements but not a great deal i suspect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 159
rancido
April 21, 2024, 8:35am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,678
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Heisenberg

I think Hurst was taking us down, personally.

Hurst never struck me as the kind of guy who would have a meeting with the players, coaching staff and owners if things were going wrong.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 159
Heisenberg
April 21, 2024, 8:41am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,108
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from RonMariner

I thought Swindon’s No.59 looked great yesterday- him and Thompson as a partnership would be formidable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 159
Limerick Mariner
April 21, 2024, 9:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,791
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from mariner91
The issue with keeping Green is that it’s almost universally agreed that our midfield has been our weakest part of a weak team this season. Yet we’ve already got Thompson signed which is great. Hunt is back who may or may not make the step up and is a bit of a gamble. We’ve got Khouri who has at times looked promising but it’s another gamble. And I suspect Ainley will be offered a contract. So if you also kept Green you’d have five central midfielders kept on from this season, not leaving much scope for major improvements.

I actually think under Artell that a fit Ainley could be a great addition to the midfield but I’d be uncomfortable just signing one new midfielder. And unless Hunt and Khouri were loaned out again in which case you’d argue why keep them at all, you’d end up with seven which seems excessive.  Green has improved recently in some games but is still extremely limited. Personally I’d gamble that we could find two players who are both better than he is and make big improvements to that area rather than stick with him.

The decision on Green will, I suspect rest on the view on Khouri. Most on here agree he’s not what we need as a first choice starter. But if there are budget constraints, and Khouri is going out on loan again, he’s worth retaining as a squad player, Players with his level of energy, commitment and resilience, even with lack of technical ability can do a job at this level when we’ve a couple out injured, or from the bench.

We need 5 CMs and we have 1 under contract who has been a regular starter recently. Ainley is a free agent. A lot of business to do if Hunt and Khouri aren’t going to be regulars.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 159
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now the inquest

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.