fishcake63
April 21, 2024, 9:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Hagrid

It was the players. I dont need to justify it to you , you arrogant little man.

flipping hell scraping 20th in League 2, lets have a bloody party and blame the fans for not supporting Artell after getting hammered 5 and 6-0.

i was told the same thing rose went to see him & told him straight if we carry on trying to play his way we'd be relegated

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 159
HertsGTFC
April 21, 2024, 9:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,076
Gold Stars: 238
Not sure an inquest achieves too much as we clearly have a process that is designed to create an identity in the way we play. Reading between the lines feels like Hurst wasn’t a believer but I’m convinced Artell is.

Who stays & who goes I suspect will be partly data driven as well as how they’d fit with the identity of how we want to play.

Sounds like we’ve been sat on 2 “what if” plans based upon staying up & going down, thankfully well now be going with the former so let’s see what happens.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 159
A Brace Of Tees
April 21, 2024, 10:46am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
A lot has been said about last summer’s recruitment. Yes I agree we signed some dross, but Rose and Conteh were excellent signings and Vernam was not far behind once he got himself fit. In fact 4 of our worst performers this season have been Clifton, Holohan, Maher and Glennon – all of whom were with us BEFORE last summer’s recruitment.

The whole season has been shaped by many players going through an alarming loss of form which has been difficult to explain and there’s no doubt there needs to be major surgery before next season – especially in midfield.

I still remain unconvinced by Artell. At one stage he seemed to be marching us to the precipice of non-league oblivion with his naïve brand of pisssing about at the back, which caused players’ confidence to drain away before our very eyes. However, credit to him for having the good sense to listen to people’s concerns and make a complete U-turn.

I just hope that some serious lessons have been learned from this dreadful season and that we can regain our faith in the club and its future.
Up The Mariners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 159
Poojah
April 21, 2024, 10:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,065
Gold Stars: 1,536
Quoted from fishcake63
i was told the same thing rose went to see him & told him straight if we carry on trying to play his way we'd be relegated

I can believe that, tbf. There was a moment during the Donny game, as a rendition of “you’re not fit to wear the shirt” rang out, where Danny Rose (who had been running his árse into the ground”, looked to the lower Findus crowd with an expression of “what the fúck am I doing here” written all over his face. Of course it wasn’t his fault, but he had found himself a part of the circus nonetheless. I can believe he would have been at the front of any queue to point out something had to change.

That said, that Donny game in particular I think anyone with the vaguest knowledge of the game could see where things were going wrong and where things had to change. In that sense, it was probably a blessing in disguise; the moment the frog was thrown straight into boiling water.

I don’t think it’s inconceivable that everyone, from the owners to the manager to the players, reached the same conclusion at the same time. To some degree, Stockwood’s comments yesterday suggest Artell was effectively just following orders in terms of playing style, and that probably explains why he was given the opportunity to turn things around - something I felt was inexplicable at the time but a decision that has since validated itself.

Ultimately, I don’t think it matters who or what was the catalyst for change. It’s now 14 games since the Donny debacle, and we’ve taken a very solid 20 points, which is a remarkable about turn in my book. If the owners, manager and players were collectively responsible for getting into the fine mess we found ourselves in back in Feb, they collectively deserve credit for getting us out of it again. We could be facing a very different set of circumstances right now, so thank the lord we aren’t.

I see us at a fork in the road now. I think the direction we head in next will have a large bearing on the direction of travel for the club over the next 10 years or so. Best take the learnings from this season and get it right this time.

See you ‘orrible lot again in August.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 159
devs
April 21, 2024, 12:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from TAGG
No secret that I would rather not have DA because his records stinks (I'm sure someone knows what it is) and it just seems to have been chaotic the whole time he's been here.
I have no doubt that he will be in charge next season and I will again have a ST and again support him because he will be the Gaffer.

Yeah... got Crewe promoted... awful record
They were relegated but only cos he lost half of his team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 159
Theimperialcoroner
April 21, 2024, 1:02pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,337
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from mariner91
The issue with keeping Green is that it’s almost universally agreed that our midfield has been our weakest part of a weak team this season. Yet we’ve already got Thompson signed which is great. Hunt is back who may or may not make the step up and is a bit of a gamble. We’ve got Khouri who has at times looked promising but it’s another gamble. And I suspect Ainley will be offered a contract. So if you also kept Green you’d have five central midfielders kept on from this season, not leaving much scope for major improvements.

I actually think under Artell that a fit Ainley could be a great addition to the midfield but I’d be uncomfortable just signing one new midfielder. And unless Hunt and Khouri were loaned out again in which case you’d argue why keep them at all, you’d end up with seven which seems excessive.  Green has improved recently in some games but is still extremely limited. Personally I’d gamble that we could find two players who are both better than he is and make big improvements to that area rather than stick with him.

I’d imagine Hunt and Clifton will be gone. Thompson, Ainley, Khouri and Green plus another with some quality would work. Green and Khouri being the back ups.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 159
Ruston AT
April 21, 2024, 1:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +427
Gold Stars: 10

I was lead to believe that PH didn't like the players that had been identified by the data so he ignored the prospects and went his own way.  And, yes we would've gone down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 159
LocalLadGTFC
April 21, 2024, 1:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,419
Gold Stars: 142
Tweet 1781999548170179057 will appear here...

Jason clarified the comments made about budgets yesterday on Twitter, refreshing to see the open and honesty.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 67 - 159
davmariner
April 21, 2024, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,987
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Tweet 1781999548170179057 will appear here...

Jason clarified the comments made about budgets yesterday on Twitter, refreshing to see the open and honesty.

Great yes all cleared up then.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 159
realist
April 21, 2024, 1:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I think if Hurst had stayed we would be relegated.
It's been very poor, but well done everyone involved for keeping us in the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 159
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now the inquest

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.