Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

This thread currently has 55,359 views. Print
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
gytone
April 25, 2024, 12:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
I get the notion that we need someone with pace, but having pace never bothered Futcher. I also think the Bennett signing would put a few on season ticket sales.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 363
diehardmariner
April 25, 2024, 2:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,673
Gold Stars: 540
Futcher played with better players as Town team-mates than anyone we could hope to pair Bennett with next season.

Futcher was also a far better player than Bennett.  I'd argue that pace has become more important in the last 30 years too.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bennett would be a very good addition.  I just don't think he should be the primary focus for strengthening the defence this summer.  If we can get him and someone quick and strong, I like the Toto comparison earlier, then happy days all round.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 363
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
April 25, 2024, 2:25pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +887
Gold Stars: 122
With regards all these suggestions of ex-GTFC players returning, what we have to remember is that in previous seasons we all got to know the type of player that Hurst would sign/re-sign so could quite easily pre-empt the final result.

But now we have the mysterious Big Dave, who is 'only' the Head Coach, and Big Joe Hutchinson with his laptop of wizardry on the hunt for new players. We dont have a 'scooby' about the type of players either of them are searching for, and the January acquisitions proved that completely.

Personally, I very much doubt one of the options on Joe's Excel sheet, is where individual players are living/based, and certainly won't have extra points added if they have played for Town before.

Just like January, I think most of our new signings will receive plenty of 'ooooohs' and a regular smattering of 'aaaaahs' when they are announced.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 363
RonMariner
April 25, 2024, 3:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
One ex player I would like to see back is Ben Fox. I am sure we could afford him because I had a chat with one of the staff at Northampton last year and he assured me that the rumours about a £4k+ per week salary were nonsense. Most players at that time were on £2.5 to £3k a week and he was not one of the bigger earners.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 363
diehardmariner
April 25, 2024, 3:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,673
Gold Stars: 540
I really liked Fox and he's as close to a complete midfielder we've had since the Disley days.  Someone who can do a bit of everything effectively.  

But he's been unavailable for Northampton more than he has been available in his two years there.  Even removing the inflated additional money that fans will have put on his weekly wage, he would be one of the top earners.  We would need more than 20 games a season from that.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 363
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 25, 2024, 3:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from RonMariner
One ex player I would like to see back is Ben Fox. I am sure we could afford him because I had a chat with one of the staff at Northampton last year and he assured me that the rumours about a £4k+ per week salary were nonsense. Most players at that time were on £2.5 to £3k a week and he was not one of the bigger earners.  

Fox did a great job for us but..

He came to us with a reputation for injuries and we were almost the last chance saloon for him. At Northampton he has played well but has missed a lot of football because of injury (he has played 41 games in 2 seasons). I think we got lucky with him and playing a level below our current level was very good for him.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 363
Jammin242
April 25, 2024, 4:02pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +21
Id Take Foxy back in a heart beat!

He massively capable of the Artell Ball and style. Keeping him fit would be the only issue.

But again the signings of the likes of Ben Fox or Ryan Bennett no longer fits the clubs transfer philosophy! Young, Ruff, Raw players they can gamble on and turn for a profit! we will end up with more Conteh-esk players. Where they use Town as a platform to spring back up the leagues and we make a quick buck or two!    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 363
mariner91
April 25, 2024, 4:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Jammin242
Id Take Foxy back in a heart beat!

He massively capable of the Artell Ball and style. Keeping him fit would be the only issue.

But again the signings of the likes of Ben Fox or Ryan Bennett no longer fits the clubs transfer philosophy! Young, Ruff, Raw players they can gamble on and turn for a profit! we will end up with more Conteh-esk players. Where they use Town as a platform to spring back up the leagues and we make a quick buck or two!   

Like the young, inexperienced central midfielder we signed in January?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 363
Jammin242
April 25, 2024, 4:11pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +21
Quoted from mariner91

Like the young, inexperienced central midfielder we signed in January?

touché I think the January window was to give DA what he needed to keep up safe.

As I said I was gutted with Foxy leaving, he was a like for like replacement for Dis! Foxy and Thompson would be awesome! but I just cant see it!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 363
rancido
April 25, 2024, 4:15pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,651
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Mikey_345
The Ryan Bennett argument is a no brainer. Played at a much higher level for a large part of his career and has the class to still be very very good at this level. I get its the old 'ex-player' stuff. However take that out of it and I think we'd all be very for it and the only reason we're talking about it is it's nearly happened twice, apparently.

His calmness, ability and leadership would have been invaluable this season and would be next.

Who was the centre back that Slade brought back in his last spell at the expense of Pearson ? He was ex Premiersh*t with years of experience and was awful. It's all about opinions but I'm sure we can find a longer term and better option than Ryan Bennett.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 363
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.