7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
GyMariner
July 22, 2014, 10:26pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
I wonder why I post on here sometimes, thought we played well with spells of some quality stuff!

-Lots of pace
-We put Donny on the back foot several times second half
-Missed 3 1v1s
-Standouts definitely paddy, brown, Arnold.
-I do feel we're going to struggle to get any points whilst Pearson and toto are suspended.
-paddy definitely needs to be involved this year centrally
- shame we can't involve our 3 wingers at one time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 61
Teestogreen
July 22, 2014, 10:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from headingly_mariner

All our best chances in the second half involved him and he was closest to scoring. I thought he won headers and held the ball up well, don't think he will score many goals but could see him setting a fair few up.

Thanks for adding some balance to this thread - it would be great if this young lad can help us next season.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 61
brad_gtfc
July 22, 2014, 10:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from GyMariner
I wonder why I post on here sometimes, thought we played well with spells of some quality stuff!

-Lots of pace
-Missed 3 1v1s
-I do feel we're going to struggle to get any points whilst Pearson and toto are suspended.

We can by playing..

Disley   Brown

McKreth   Nielson    Arnold

LJL

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 61
MrsMariner
July 22, 2014, 10:35pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +449
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from brad_gtfc

We can by playing..

Disley   Brown

McKreth   Nielson    Arnold

LJL

Yes I thought that would be an interesting formation, give Nielson a free role, would certainly give the opposition back 4 a few things to think about
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 61
moosey_club
July 22, 2014, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,270
Gold Stars: 226
Firstly....these kind of games are there as a test, a team two/three divisions above us, faster, fitter, more skillful and a class apart so any kind of result was unlikely....what we have to focus on is our performance rather than how much better they were....
we looked like a team of strangers first half, very little interplay, lots of channel balls, long balls towards LJL and backpasses to Mckeown followed by a long hopeful punt. Midfield was nowhere to be seen at either end of the pitch.
LJL awful, terrible touch, no hold up play poor ball retention when he did manage to control it.
Magnay , woeful, looked slow, nervous and lost
No.8 not sure if that was Brown or Clay (?) as i missed the team announcements....whoever he was terrible, slow and offered nothing (i hope it wasnt Brown!!)
Makreth - looked positive and busy but one dimensional, up against a very competent left back who had the pace of him and therefore no impact. Not a bad corner taker though. Slow to track back at times.  
Arnold - did not see too much of the ball first half but looks a threat, should have scored a goal in either half
Thomas - out of position first half, never got forward but had more influence second half after formation change
Paddy - brightest spark in the first half, looked to receive the ball off the back four and stroked it about well
Pittman - clearly not fit, strolled around for most of the first half but showed the odd glimpse of ability,
Pearson and Toto - shaky start and having no midfield in front of them did not help but settled, both grew in confidence.
Macca - still sat on his line, did not come and collect any crosses and didnt really make any saves of note, no chance with the four goals and looked nervous when clearing backpasses.

Second half formation change,

No.9 Ironside (?) - ball retention pretty good, flick ons gave team mates a chance and seemed very aware of players around him and linked well. A massive improvement on the efforts of LJL before him. On the downside lacks pace, power and conviction but he was denied a goal by a reaction stop from point blank range.
No. 4 - Brown or Clay (?) ... busy little player, wanted the ball, some meaty tackles and gave us some impetus
Neilson - free role in the centre, livened up the attack immediately....as normal though a little guilty of over indulgence and playing himself into trouble
Hannah - no real sight of goal but linked in with Ironside.
Bignot - better than Magnay (not difficult)...AWOL on their last goal though for me

Overall we looked much better with the finishing 11 and formation than we did with the starting one, (Donny certainly eased off at half time though with the game already in the bag).The finishing formation and players created triangles, moved the ball better with a definate purpose and created at least three good opportunities to score, Arnold, Aswad and Ironside either being denied or disappointing with poor finish.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 61
chaos33
July 22, 2014, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
But a fast-breaking decent team would exploit the fact that our two full backs are potential weak links and would be left horribly exposed with that system. IMO, they are both very average defensively anyway. I can't see Hurst going with that permeatation above very often, if at all. I think Brown and Disley will start in centre mid and we'll be 4-4-2 by default. If he goes 4-3-3 he'll add Paddy alongside Brown and Disley and probably go with LJL, Arnold and one other, to be decided.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 61
barralad
July 22, 2014, 10:44pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from GyMariner

-Lots of pace
-Missed 3 1v1s

Good balanced post. Don't let the likes of Acko, Johnny be good and the Old Codger put you off. All three are auditioning for the role of Senna in the remake of Up Pompeii...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 61
Harry Haddock
July 22, 2014, 10:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from oldun
Paul was up in the main stand. Oh and their manager Paul Dickov arrived at half time saying he thought it was a 7.45 kick off!

How can you turn up late when the rest of the team manages to make it on time ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 61
Tommy
July 22, 2014, 10:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,868
Gold Stars: 76
One more thing.....

We had the old home dugout today i.e. the one nearest the pontoon. Have we switched back for good? Not that it makes a difference, but just something I noticed.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 61
moosey_club
July 22, 2014, 10:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,270
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Tommy
One more thing.....

We had the old home dugout today i.e. the one nearest the pontoon. Have we switched back for good? Not that it makes a difference, but just something I noticed.

We noticed that and after the first half performance thought that the team must still be looking for instruction from the Donny bench!!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.