7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
July 22, 2014, 9:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Well that was quite painful to watch at times, we did improve after half time but in all honesty there is a lot of work for Paul to do and he should start by telling that Craig clay and Joe ironside that there services are no longer required here..

Jesus how have they both managed to get a trial , either they have a great agent or they have some dirty laundry on Paul Hurst.

Aswad was given the run around first half and so was magnay and the midfield was non existent.

Jon Paul pitman showed he clearly has ability and the pace we need and when he did get the ball he was positive which means unfortunatley Paul might ditch him.

Toto and Shaun have a lot of work to do but I think the foundation is there , Nathan Arnold showed some good stuff but to be fair we were outclassed all the way through..

Scotty brown came on and showed he will be a decent player for us, we have the base of a good team this year we just need to up it massively.

Also I didn't see Paul in the dugout only doig tonight ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
oldun
July 22, 2014, 9:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Paul was up in the main stand. Oh and their manager Paul Dickov arrived at half time saying he thought it was a 7.45 kick off!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 61
jonnyboy82
July 22, 2014, 9:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from oldun
Paul was up in the main stand. Oh and their manager Paul Dickov arrived at half time saying he thought it was a 7.45 kick off!

Haha..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 61
Garth
July 22, 2014, 10:00pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Well that was quite painful to watch at times, we did improve after half time but in all honesty there is a lot of work for Paul to do and he should start by telling that Craig clay and Joe ironside that there services are no longer required here..

Jesus how have they both managed to get a trial , either they have a great agent or they have some dirty laundry on Paul Hurst.

Aswad was given the run around first half and so was magnay and the midfield was non existent.

Jon Paul pitman showed he clearly has ability and the pace we need and when he did get the ball he was positive which means unfortunatley Paul might ditch him.

Toto and Shaun have a lot of work to do but I think the foundation is there , Nathan Arnold showed some good stuff but to be fair we were outclassed all the way through..

Scotty brown came on and showed he will be a decent player for us, we have the base of a good team this year we just need to up it massively.

Also I didn't see Paul in the dugout only doig tonight ?

Sums it up for me, lets hope it improves Friday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 61
headingly_mariner
July 22, 2014, 10:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Bit unfair on Ironside, thought he was good, looks like a footballer!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 61
jonnyboy82
July 22, 2014, 10:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Really ?

He was slow ,didn't win a header and the only reason I remembered him was when I was thinking we have let Andy cook go to possibly bring this lad in.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 61
Maringer
July 22, 2014, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,499
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from jonnyboy82

What an inane comment.

Anyway, otherwise, I think you have to take into account that Donny's No. 10 and No. 11 were both excellent - their best players - so it isn't too surprising that our full-backs struggled, especially as our central midfield might as well have not bothered turning up on that performance.

Ironside looked gangly, clumsy and slow. I'd hope we can do better than him unless he's signed as a cheap 5th choice striker!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 61
Teestogreen
July 22, 2014, 10:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -152
Gold Stars: 23

Interesting statement H M - I thought that of him at Harrogate (and said so), which allowed LJL to look better. Will be interesting to see what the Grimsby management think.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 61
maxfox44
July 22, 2014, 10:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Thought Ironsides was pretty poor, but better than offside Hannah.

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 61
brad_gtfc
July 22, 2014, 10:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
I've seen someone say on Twitter they'd sign Clay and Ironside after tonight, are they mad?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 61
jonnyboy82
July 22, 2014, 10:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

What an inane comment.

Anyway, otherwise, I think you have to take into account that Donny's No. 10 and No. 11 were both excellent - their best players - so it isn't too surprising that our full-backs struggled, especially as our central midfield might as well have not bothered turning up on that performance.

Ironside looked gangly, clumsy and slow. I'd hope we can do better than him unless he's signed as a cheap 5th choice striker!

You do realise it was a tongue in cheek comment.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 61
oldun
July 22, 2014, 10:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475

Mmm a long way from being  that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 61
jonnyboy82
July 22, 2014, 10:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from brad_gtfc
I've seen someone say on Twitter they'd sign Clay and Ironside after tonight, are they mad?

Was it themselves ?

Jesus, after seeing them their is hope for terry barwick.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 61
Maringer
July 22, 2014, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It certainly read as a negative dig at Hurst of the sort we see so often on here.

Regardless, I'm mostly in agreement with you about the players. No thanks to Clay (especially!) or Ironside, but possibly yes to Pittman.

I actually left the game feeling in a relatively positive frame of mind despite the heavy defeat as I think we already have a stronger squad than last season regardless of any future signings!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 61
Mighty_Mariner
July 22, 2014, 10:16pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I'd like another look at Ironside as I think he showed some nice touches and might have something. Clay however was very poor IMO, decent workrate but displayed a poor touch and control, limited passing and no positional sense. Vertu much in the mould of Michael Leary and Anthony Church which should tell you ask you need to know!

There has to be better out there!

Pittman in the other hand was very good I thought. Very strong, good control and quick feet. I'd sign him tomorrow as I think he could score a load at this level!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 61
jonnyboy82
July 22, 2014, 10:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I'd like another look at Ironside as I think he showed some nice touches and might have something. Clay however was very poor IMO, decent workrate but displayed a poor touch and control, limited passing and no positional sense. Vertu much in the mould of Michael Leary and Anthony Church which should tell you ask you need to know!

Pittman in the other hand was very good I thought. Very strong, good control and quick feet. I'd sign him tomorrow as I think he could score a load at this level!

I agree about pitman , you can just tell the lad has ability and would be happy if he joined us.

Is completely different to what we have, will score goals in this league for sure.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 61
Tommy
July 22, 2014, 10:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I can't believe some the suicidal drivel from some posters on some threads tonight. Remember it was a pre-season friendly. And it was against a League One side, so of course they would outclass us at times.

In fact, although Donny were tidy in possession in the middle third, they didn't actually play through us and didn't create chances aside from the goals - all of which were very preventable on our part.

McKeown had a couple of shaky moments early on. Pearson and Toto won everything in the air and I can see them becoming a great partnership. Magnay is taking some stick but I thought he looked like a decent player with a football brain, who just got caught on his heels a couple of times that cost us.

Thought Clay didn't really have anything about him. Seemed to do a few tidy things and kept it simple, but didn't show much. Him and Paddy would definitely be too soft a centre-midfield partnership. I accept it's difficult to judge someone against that level of opposition but for me he didn't have enough in any aspect of his game.

Brown impressed me when he came on in the 2nd half. Very busy getting on the ball and linked well with Nielson.

Arnold and Mackreth will both destroy plenty of full-backs at our level for sure. Both clever players too, with good movement,  always looking to make angles to receive the ball to feet.

Pittman I would offer a permanent deal in the morning. Strong as intercourse and lightning quick too. Will be a real threat.

Ironside looks an intelligent player and I can see why we're interested in him. Holds it up, controls it well on the chest and to feet, and lays it off to others. A good alternative or competition for LJL for that role in the forward line.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 61
Hagrid
July 22, 2014, 10:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,392
Gold Stars: 534
Id sign clay, just because it would urine off so many on here! In all seriousness, and no disrespect to the lads as they gave effort, just technically not good enough- clay and iron- pitmann on the other hand worth another look
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 61
headingly_mariner
July 22, 2014, 10:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Teestogreen

Interesting statement H M - I thought that of him at Harrogate (and said so), which allowed LJL to look better. Will be interesting to see what the Grimsby management think.

All our best chances in the second half involved him and he was closest to scoring. I thought he won headers and held the ball up well, don't think he will score many goals but could see him setting a fair few up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 61
Garth
July 22, 2014, 10:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Good summary for me, I`d sign Pittman tomorrow, Ironside could improve and did so slightly towards the match end, lets not forget Donny outclassed us throughout the match, and so they should with a strong team out.
With a bit of poise in front of goal we should have scored at least twice, lets get the wrinkles ironed out preseason ready for the important stuff

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 61
GyMariner
July 22, 2014, 10:26pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
I wonder why I post on here sometimes, thought we played well with spells of some quality stuff!

-Lots of pace
-We put Donny on the back foot several times second half
-Missed 3 1v1s
-Standouts definitely paddy, brown, Arnold.
-I do feel we're going to struggle to get any points whilst Pearson and toto are suspended.
-paddy definitely needs to be involved this year centrally
- shame we can't involve our 3 wingers at one time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 61
Teestogreen
July 22, 2014, 10:29pm

Champagne Drinker

All our best chances in the second half involved him and he was closest to scoring. I thought he won headers and held the ball up well, don't think he will score many goals but could see him setting a fair few up.

Thanks for adding some balance to this thread - it would be great if this young lad can help us next season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 61
brad_gtfc
July 22, 2014, 10:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GyMariner
I wonder why I post on here sometimes, thought we played well with spells of some quality stuff!

-Lots of pace
-Missed 3 1v1s
-I do feel we're going to struggle to get any points whilst Pearson and toto are suspended.

We can by playing..

Disley   Brown

McKreth   Nielson    Arnold

LJL

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 61
MrsMariner
July 22, 2014, 10:35pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +433
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from brad_gtfc

We can by playing..

Disley   Brown

LJL

Yes I thought that would be an interesting formation, give Nielson a free role, would certainly give the opposition back 4 a few things to think about
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 61
moosey_club
July 22, 2014, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,242
Gold Stars: 226
Firstly....these kind of games are there as a test, a team two/three divisions above us, faster, fitter, more skillful and a class apart so any kind of result was unlikely....what we have to focus on is our performance rather than how much better they were....
we looked like a team of strangers first half, very little interplay, lots of channel balls, long balls towards LJL and backpasses to Mckeown followed by a long hopeful punt. Midfield was nowhere to be seen at either end of the pitch.
LJL awful, terrible touch, no hold up play poor ball retention when he did manage to control it.
Magnay , woeful, looked slow, nervous and lost
No.8 not sure if that was Brown or Clay (?) as i missed the team announcements....whoever he was terrible, slow and offered nothing (i hope it wasnt Brown!!)
Makreth - looked positive and busy but one dimensional, up against a very competent left back who had the pace of him and therefore no impact. Not a bad corner taker though. Slow to track back at times.  
Arnold - did not see too much of the ball first half but looks a threat, should have scored a goal in either half
Thomas - out of position first half, never got forward but had more influence second half after formation change
Paddy - brightest spark in the first half, looked to receive the ball off the back four and stroked it about well
Pittman - clearly not fit, strolled around for most of the first half but showed the odd glimpse of ability,
Pearson and Toto - shaky start and having no midfield in front of them did not help but settled, both grew in confidence.
Macca - still sat on his line, did not come and collect any crosses and didnt really make any saves of note, no chance with the four goals and looked nervous when clearing backpasses.

Second half formation change,

No.9 Ironside (?) - ball retention pretty good, flick ons gave team mates a chance and seemed very aware of players around him and linked well. A massive improvement on the efforts of LJL before him. On the downside lacks pace, power and conviction but he was denied a goal by a reaction stop from point blank range.
No. 4 - Brown or Clay (?) ... busy little player, wanted the ball, some meaty tackles and gave us some impetus
Neilson - free role in the centre, livened up the attack immediately....as normal though a little guilty of over indulgence and playing himself into trouble
Hannah - no real sight of goal but linked in with Ironside.
Bignot - better than Magnay (not difficult)...AWOL on their last goal though for me

Overall we looked much better with the finishing 11 and formation than we did with the starting one, (Donny certainly eased off at half time though with the game already in the bag).The finishing formation and players created triangles, moved the ball better with a definate purpose and created at least three good opportunities to score, Arnold, Aswad and Ironside either being denied or disappointing with poor finish.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 61
chaos33
July 22, 2014, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
But a fast-breaking decent team would exploit the fact that our two full backs are potential weak links and would be left horribly exposed with that system. IMO, they are both very average defensively anyway. I can't see Hurst going with that permeatation above very often, if at all. I think Brown and Disley will start in centre mid and we'll be 4-4-2 by default. If he goes 4-3-3 he'll add Paddy alongside Brown and Disley and probably go with LJL, Arnold and one other, to be decided.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 61
barralad
July 22, 2014, 10:44pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from GyMariner

-Lots of pace
-Missed 3 1v1s

Good balanced post. Don't let the likes of Acko, Johnny be good and the Old Codger put you off. All three are auditioning for the role of Senna in the remake of Up Pompeii...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 61
Harry Haddock
July 22, 2014, 10:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from oldun

How can you turn up late when the rest of the team manages to make it on time ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 61
Tommy
July 22, 2014, 10:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
One more thing.....

We had the old home dugout today i.e. the one nearest the pontoon. Have we switched back for good? Not that it makes a difference, but just something I noticed.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 61
moosey_club
July 22, 2014, 10:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
One more thing.....

We had the old home dugout today i.e. the one nearest the pontoon. Have we switched back for good? Not that it makes a difference, but just something I noticed.

We noticed that and after the first half performance thought that the team must still be looking for instruction from the Donny bench!!

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 61
jonnyboy82
July 22, 2014, 10:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Good balanced post. Don't let the likes of Acko, Johnny be good and the Old Codger put you off. All three are auditioning for the role of Senna in the remake of Up Pompeii...

Oh here he is...

Colonel gaddafi of the fishy.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 61
brad_gtfc
July 22, 2014, 10:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
But a fast-breaking decent team would exploit the fact that our two full backs are potential weak links and would be left horribly exposed with that system. IMO, they are both very average defensively anyway. I can't see Hurst going with that permeatation above very often, if at all. I think Brown and Disley will start in centre mid and we'll be 4-4-2 by default. If he goes 4-3-3 he'll add Paddy alongside Brown and Disley and probably go with LJL, Arnold and one other, to be decided.

I totally agree, I wouldn't actually go for that system. I was just pointing out thats the way it could be done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
timmo
July 22, 2014, 11:02pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +58
Either I watched a different game or I am too positive for this forum, IMO...

We got out done by pure quality. Some of their movement, passes, knowledge of each other ripped us apart.
As for us I thought once we got on the ball and settled we passed well, looked for options rather than long ball.
Stand outs,
Arnold, strong, quick, intelligent.
Pitman, great off the ball, unselfish, picks out a pass.
Paddy, looked confident, some good passes, broke up play on occasions.

Poor IMO & reasons.
Clay, did a lot of running but not passes to note. looked out of position at times.
Aswad, didn't look interested, no awareness.
Macketh, I can only think of 1 time he ran at his opp, every time I noticed he him was too defensive, I compared his position with Arnold and he was always a lot more defensive.

Toto & Pearson, potential to be a great partnership but not quite there.

Overall I don't think we were poor I just think Donnys class showed. its there just with a few tweaks and we will be ok. Sign pittman could be the final piece.

Timmo
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
ackomariner
July 22, 2014, 11:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from barralad

Called an opinion , like you have, but different to yours, so it's wrong. Don't think we were wrong last season though  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
brad_gtfc
July 22, 2014, 11:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ackomariner

Called an opinion , like you have, but different to yours, so it's wrong. Don't think we were wrong last season though  

You seem happy about that? I'm sure you'd rather us be excrement next year just so you could say you was right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
Grimal
July 22, 2014, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from brad_gtfc

Well I hope it wasn't Paul Hurst that twittered that,cos we definitely don't need them,I've seen them in all the games they've played for us and no improvement what so ever from either of them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
Stew0_0
July 22, 2014, 11:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Despite the result, this game was a worthwhile exercise for me and answered a fair few questions.

Want to say firstly that the result was really harsh as Doncaster had maybe 6 efforts on target and 4 went in. Either unlucky on our part or just clinical finishing. I also thought there 2 wingers were immense and gave Thomas and Magnay a really tough time in the first half.  Thankfully can't see it happening much if at all in the conference.

Jon-Paul Pitman - We need to get this lad signed up. Despite being 5ft 9in he held the ball well, showed skill, obvious pace and was quite powerful. Showed in patches that he and Lenny could work out a good understanding if played together regularly and can see him scoring goals.

Scott Brown - This lad is gonna be the key to our success this year. Showed in the 30-35 mins he played that he's gonna be ruleing the engine room not only with the ball but he's not afraid of a tackle. Very pleased with him.

Nathan Arnold - Offers a good outlet, showed flashes of skill and pace and unlucky not to get on the scoresheet tonight.

Jack Mackreth - Good pace, direct and can see a far greater end product than Colbeck last year. Also played in a few good corners too and if we can get Pearson and Toto on the end of a few this term they should be adding to the goals for column.

Also,  Scott Neilsen played well when he came on and Paddy McLaughlin played well in patches in the first half.

Was encouraging that we kept going and we had 5/6 good chances to score in the second half.

The fact that the new boys stood out most, says alone that they all have improved on what we had last season. This is the 3rd pre-season game I have seen so far this season and at one stage or another they have all impressed me.

Craig Clay - Showed little to suggest he is worth a contract, got completely bypassed first half and showed little more in the second half. Think Hurst must have seen enough to realise that we need to move on with the next target for CM.

Joe Ironside - Showed a few good touches and flick on's but don't think he's good enough for a contract.  Can't see him scoring enough goals to justify his signing.

The Right Back slot is a concern for me. Although Magnay will probably play better than he did tonight, I have never really rated Bignot. In fact I've been fairly impressed with Walker in the last two pre-seasons but cannot see Hurst throw him in at the deep end.

Overall fairly happy with how things are going so far despite back to back defeats but these games are for experimenting and playing with systems and line-ups and had we lined up our strongest 11 tonight we may have run the result somewhat closer.

Keep the faith and roll on Friday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
northbankmariner
July 23, 2014, 12:31am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Quoted from brad_gtfc

We can by playing..

Disley   Brown

LJL

Have also been thinking this is a good looking formation. Would allow plenty of protection to the back for as two holding midfielders can drop when not in possession and allows plenty of freedom for the other three to support and even get beyond the striker. With the players signed this could really utilise their strengths. 4-2-3-1 for me.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
arryarryarry
July 23, 2014, 1:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
In the most part I thought we were crap and so far even despite some of the better results in the friendlies I really haven't seen any suggestion that we will threaten a play off place let alone the top spot.

Tonight it was men against boys.

Clay so far hasn't impressed me and I thought he was poor against Donny, Magnay some have suggested can play full back, well not on that showing, no pace and lost out in a few tackles and him and Thomas were hopeless for the third goal.

Totowhatshisname, not sure why some on here were nearly having an orgasm at the announcement he had signed, looks dodgy at times.

Makreth has looked decent so far, against Donny well out of his depth I cannot remember him getting one cross in.

I thought so far Brown has looked an improvement on last season and Arnold looked a threat but I still worry where the goals are going to come from, neither LJL or Hannah when he came on looked anything like scoring.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
ackomariner
July 23, 2014, 7:13am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from brad_gtfc

You seem happy about that? I'm sure you'd rather us be excrement next year just so you could say you was right.

Not happy at all, but could see we weren't good enough last year but a few were branded morons for saying so

I'm not happy to pay money to watch the same dross as last year ,and will say so on here, that's what a forum is for

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
maxfox44
July 23, 2014, 8:26am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
One question was answered for me last night.  Is Hannah good enough to be in the team? No!

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
GyMariner
July 23, 2014, 9:13am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
We're not going to be playing Doncaster in the league! We won't get a true perspective until the league kicks off.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
Jarmo.Is.God
July 23, 2014, 9:22am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from timmo
Either I watched a different game or I am too positive for this forum, IMO...

We got out done by pure quality. Some of their movement, passes, knowledge of each other ripped us apart.
As for us I thought once we got on the ball and settled we passed well, looked for options rather than long ball.
Stand outs,
Arnold, strong, quick, intelligent.
Pitman, great off the ball, unselfish, picks out a pass.
Paddy, looked confident, some good passes, broke up play on occasions.

Poor IMO & reasons.
Clay, did a lot of running but not passes to note. looked out of position at times.
Aswad, didn't look interested, no awareness.
Macketh, I can only think of 1 time he ran at his opp, every time I noticed he him was too defensive, I compared his position with Arnold and he was always a lot more defensive.

Toto & Pearson, potential to be a great partnership but not quite there.

Overall I don't think we were poor I just think Donnys class showed. its there just with a few tweaks and we will be ok. Sign pittman could be the final piece.

Timmo
UTM

Good Post, but 1 thing.

i dont think the problem was TOTO and Pearson, i thought it was Magnay who was all over the place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
Meza
July 23, 2014, 3:31pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Sometimes you have to play against better opposition to actually find out what your weaknesses are and then try to learn from them.  Playing against someone like winterton and winning 4-0 doesnt provide anything other than a good win and a few goals and maybe some confidence.   I aint worried about a defeat to donny id be more surprised if we had beaten them.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
barralad
July 23, 2014, 9:46pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Oh here he is...

Colonel gaddafi of the fishy.

Oh well I suppose that passes for humour in miseryland. Where's Penfold?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
barralad
July 23, 2014, 9:53pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from ackomariner

You'll need to point out where I said your opinion was wrong. I just said it was mind-numbingly negative. I will never understand how some people can get worked up into a hand wringing frenzy over a game that was basically a trial match with some components of the Town squad who hadn't properly met never mind played together.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
barralad
July 23, 2014, 9:57pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from brad_gtfc

I can see it now-the three of them sat round drinking Chateau de Chasilet trying to outdo each other in the misery stakes. Aye lad but we were reight....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
The Singing Fisherman
July 23, 2014, 10:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
Quoted from barralad

I can see it now-the three of them sat round drinking Chateau de Chasilet trying to outdo each other in the misery stakes. Aye lad but we were reight....

Some people are just born moaners and grumpy old men. There not happy unless there moaning. It's something us more positive people have to put up with. Personnally I would rather be this way then a miserable twit like some on here. Going back to football It's good to get the mistakes out the way in pre-season against stronger opposition. Hopefullt come the season we will of learnt from them. utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
Teestogreen
July 23, 2014, 10:33pm

Champagne Drinker

Somone people are just born moaners and grumpy old men. There not happy unless there moaning. It's something us more positive people have to put up with. Personnally I would rather be this way then a miserable twit like some on here. Going back to football It's good to get the mistakes out the way in pre-season against stronger opposition. Hopefullt come the season we will of learnt from them. utm

Come on - I'm sure there's a better word than that

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
grimsby pete
July 23, 2014, 10:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
FACT. you will learn more when losing 4-0 to a team 2 leagues above you,

Than winning 12-0 to a team 3 or more leagues below you.

When we field our full strength team in the conference

That will tell us how good we are.

Roll on September  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 23, 2014, 11:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Quoted from grimsby pete

Roll on September  

You might be right Pete we can learn from playing better opposition. But on the other hand I seem to remember reading that Puskas and the Hungarian wizards of the 1950s used to play their practice matches against amateur sides they could beat 12-0 to build confidence and practise scoring.

It doesn't matter what we learn as fans from these matches, it's what PH learns. So I agree with you, the proof of the pudding will be there after the first 10 games.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 61
The Singing Fisherman
July 23, 2014, 11:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
Quoted from Teestogreen

Come on - I'm sure there's a better word than that

I can assure you I never wrote Twit! replace the i with an a and that will do  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 61
Grimal
July 23, 2014, 11:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from grimsby pete

[/b]Roll on September [b]

Aint we going to bother about the first 6 games in August then Pete ?..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 61
grimsby pete
July 23, 2014, 11:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Grimal

Aint we going to bother about the first 6 games in August then Pete ?..

Of course we are but the first 3 games we will be missing key players,

We will be able to judge how good our season will be by the end of September imo.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 61
jonnyboy82
July 24, 2014, 9:18am
Vodka Drinker
Paul had this to say on clay and ironside...

"The Town manager has been keen to keep his choice of trialists relatively low-key – something that is particularly difficult in this day and age of social media and message-boards.

"It's great for fans wanting to know and I understand that, but at the same time we don't always have to alert other clubs," Hurst said.

"They might be willing to put an offer on the table. We don't know who else might come in or if another offer might be more enticing for them"

well paul I doubt you have had to fight off the phone calls about them two.

jon paul pittman on the other hand looks quality, and he says in todays telegraph he wants another look at him against Mansfield providing he wants to stay !

I wish he would just make the lad an offer, he is just what we need and have a feeling he will slip through our fingers.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 61
jonnyboy82
July 24, 2014, 9:21am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Oh well I suppose that passes for humour in miseryland. Where's Penfold?

last I heard he was hiding out with you.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 61
moosey_club
July 24, 2014, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Paul had this to say on clay and ironside...

"The Town manager has been keen to keep his choice of trialists relatively low-key – something that is particularly difficult in this day and age of social media and message-boards.

"It's great for fans wanting to know and I understand that, but at the same time we don't always have to alert other clubs," Hurst said.

"They might be willing to put an offer on the table. We don't know who else might come in or if another offer might be more enticing for them"

So its our fault then if we dont sign any good performing triallists or any other good players for that matter, we dont need to know their names so we cant alert the enemy....loose lips sink ships and all that.

That Clay was fookin awesome the other night, ran the show and how on earth we have a chance of signing him i dont know but i wish Hurst would just get the deal done before someone else whips in with a better offer, i heard he has an affinity to Lincoln so i hope they dont get wind of how awesome he is...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 61
Maringer
July 24, 2014, 10:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

That Clay was fookin awesome the other night, ran the show and how on earth we have a chance of signing him i dont know but i wish Hurst would just get the deal done before someone else whips in with a better offer, i heard he has an affinity to Lincoln so i hope they dont get wind of how awesome he is...

I like the way you're thinking.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 61
Garth
July 24, 2014, 1:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from moosey_club

So its our fault then if we dont sign any good performing triallists or any other good players for that matter, we dont need to know their names so we cant alert the enemy....loose lips sink ships and all that.

You fool! now we have lost him to Lincoln
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 61
July 24, 2014, 1:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from Garth
You fool! now we have lost him to Lincoln

Would be a tragedy if we let him slip through our hands. I likened him to Patrick Viera - though my mate reckoned he was a
"big Bryan Robson"! PH had better get him signed up PDQ or there'll be a lot of gutted Town fans....
Reply: 59 - 61
barralad
July 24, 2014, 10:29pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from jonnyboy82

last I heard he was hiding out with you.

Like a knife through butter. You're dead sharp you!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 61
jonnyboy82
July 24, 2014, 10:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Like a knife through butter. You're dead sharp you!

is that it ?

Christ.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 61
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.