This thread currently has 18,963 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
March 1, 2015, 1:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,511
Gold Stars: 173
Is it a right to expect to be entertained or a risk of going to watch football (especially given the wide knowledge amongst GTFC fans that we're not that entertaining to watch at the minute)?
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 158
rancido
March 1, 2015, 1:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from petethemariner
Of course we are all pleased to get 3 points in each game, but the fact remains that fans DO have a right to
expect to be entertained - watching football at BP is not cheap considering the league we are in and most home
performances have been uninspiring , dull and flairless,hence 6 home defeats already for  a club pushing for
promotion, the fact is obvious that the way PH sets his teams out is ideal for away performances, which is why we
have such a good away record, but his lack of adaptability for home games has already cost us dear and is the reason we will not win the league, or sadly IMO go up via he playoffs.
I am as desperate as everyone else to see us back in the FL again, but when i think that it will condemn us to more
turgid home performances under PH if we did go up, i no longer know what to want.

This is the conundrum though. We all want promotion and preferably this season. But if PH achieves that then he will be manager next season in charge of a league team. Will he change his cautious approach or will it be much more of the same? Some might disagree but I think he has proved that he can pick decent players but he does seem unable to get the best out of them. Of course if we do get promoted and we struggle then obviously the Board will have to make a decision about keeping him but that is for another day. It's more than likely easier to get a half decent manager if you are a league team as opposed to a non-league but getting the right manager is always a gamble. If we don't get promoted then Hurst has to go but that means finding a replacement which could resign us to another two seasons at this level and all the problems that entails.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 158
Caesar
March 1, 2015, 1:45pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from DocTower

Agree , constructive criticism , but the fact that we haven't  seen any improvement implies  to me that he has reached his competency level . Unfortunately we  know nothing is going to change , what anyone says , but more are saying the same thing .

This for me is what I see as our big problem at the moment. I cannot really comment on home performances as I cannot get to many and have not seen the last 2 so will have to concede to the opinion of others, but it sounds the same as the past couple of years.  We have improved the squad by a long ay IMO, and if Palmer and LJL are together up front I think that is an excellent partnership. However this is the same as last year and the year before, we look like we can just about go up, but a bad decision or a bit of bad luck and we will be left licking our wounds again.  I fear that we cannot make that next step and improve further which will prevent us from getting back into the league.  

Hurrst is almost a perfect storm, good enough that he can get us close, deliver some great victories eg. Barnet H&A, and therefore make any attempt to remove him seem mad.  We are 3rd in the league after all and have just won 3 games back to back.  But he seems so unambitious and can make overcoming part time teams like such a struggle that we have 8 pages of dicussion lamenting how poor we are despite this.  That is the same story for the past 3 years, we just have to hope that it has a different ending which it definatly can be!      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 158
March 1, 2015, 2:15pm
Guest User
Been supporting Town for 46 years and I've never left BP before the final whistle.
Yesterday at half-time I said to my two mates I was leaving. Went outside, had a smoke & a chat to a couple of other smokers who were just as underwhelmed as I was...and decided if they could stomach 45 more minutes like that then I could too.

THE POINT
I actually found myself hoping we don't get promoted this season - because that will secure Hurst's job, which means more football which, frankly, isn't worth turning up to pay and see.

Yes we're third in the league and have taken 9 points in a week, and we may get promoted. That will not matter if Grimsby Town FC play football which doesn't entertain its paying customers.
If I hadn't bought a ST I wouldn't be thinking of going to BP again this season.

Final thought: if Hamish Watson couldn't play better than LJL and Pittman did yesterday, why the hell did we sign him?
If he could - why did we loan him out?
Reply: 83 - 158
LH
March 1, 2015, 2:21pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,511
Gold Stars: 173
FFS
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 2:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,241
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 137
Been supporting Town for 46 years and I've never left BP before the final whistle.
Yesterday at half-time I said to my two mates I was leaving. Went outside, had a smoke & a chat to a couple of other smokers who were just as underwhelmed as I was...and decided if they could stomach 45 more minutes like that then I could too.

THE POINT
I actually found myself hoping we don't get promoted this season - because that will secure Hurst's job, which means more football which, frankly, isn't worth turning up to pay and see.

Yes we're third in the league and have taken 9 points in a week, and we may get promoted. That will not matter if Grimsby Town FC play football which doesn't entertain its paying customers.
If I hadn't bought a ST I wouldn't be thinking of going to BP again this season.

Final thought: if Hamish Watson couldn't play better than LJL and Pittman did yesterday, why the hell did we sign him?
If he could - why did we loan him out?

And this is where the club's financial situation is also affected. I've been less this season than any time in the last 15 years and the only game I've enjoyed was the Barnet away game, the five games at BP have been dull in the extreme. It's a proper conundrum, get promotion Hurst probably stays, fall short he probably goes. I want promotion but not Hurst - is that possible?
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 158
promotion plaice
March 1, 2015, 2:26pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from BIGChris

Was that because you never went to the games?

So if you don't go to games you are not allowed an opinion.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 158
psgmariner
March 1, 2015, 2:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I'm one of LJL's biggest fans but he looks knackered and could do with a rest. He always puts in a proper shift and also always takes the physical battle to big hairy arsed centre backs - that takes its toll.

Private Message
Reply: 87 - 158
Rodley Mariner
March 1, 2015, 2:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from LH
FFS

Amen brother.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 158
nickmariners
March 1, 2015, 2:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +519
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from headingly_mariner

How many games have you seen? He has 15 goals and has been one of our most consistent performers, he has had an excellent season so far.

Aahh   -- that's most unfair HM - using that hoary old chestnut of deploying data to disprove the rantings of the permanently disaffected. Good luck with that  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unbelievable

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.