Reply: 10 - 48
Tangerine Chris
October 3, 2015, 7:04pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
This punting of the ball up to Monkhouse is getting tiresome now.  We did it the 2 previous season with Lenny, and it didnt work, so why persist with a game plan like that?  When we play the ball on the floor, we outplay most teams.  Something Hurst should look at

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 48
chaos33
October 3, 2015, 7:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,945
Gold Stars: 360
We were doing that weren't we - passing it. It looked great in pre season and early season, and we were scoring goals even though we were missing chances. Are we deviating from this now?
I haven't seen the game today, but Monkhouse has been very lucky to keep his place for me - he must have had 4 or 5 consecutive very average performances. Meanwhile, we've got cracking players who can't get in the team, or who are given 10-20 minutes to do something.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 48
barralad
October 3, 2015, 7:13pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
So what we're saying is..... If Paul had selected Arnold, Bogle and Amond and we'd lost then we'd all be praising him for he correct team selection??

What message would that send to the team that you can win 4-0 but still be dropped the following week?

If anyone thinks PH picks a team he doesn't think can win the game then they're delusional!!!! He has more on the line than any of us do to ensure Grimsby Town are successful!

This sentence sums it up for me. Anybody who says the "Why change a winning team" wouldn't have been trotted out is either delusional or a hypocrite...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 48
barralad
October 3, 2015, 7:17pm
Mariners Trust

If he had changed the team to include the best striking partnership the club has and it didn't work, I think people would more likely have blamed the players more than the manager.

His selection last week was for an away game and was to some extent forced on him. This week it was entirely his own choice so I'm afraid he has to carry the can for that one.

Sorry Ron but you make the assumption that all posters on here are as balanced as you are in your opinions. The hatred for Hurst in some quarters on here knows no bounds

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 48
ackomariner
October 3, 2015, 7:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from barralad

Sorry Ron but you make the assumption that all posters on here are as balanced as you are in your opinions. The hatred for Hurst in some quarters on here knows no bounds

Turn it the other way too

The love for Hurst in some quarters on here knows no bounds

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 48
chaos33
October 3, 2015, 7:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,945
Gold Stars: 360
Yeah I agree Barra and it does spoil the debate. However, I would say that an away game at Southport and a home game with FGR are very different challenges, and you'd expect the manager to pick and set up the side accordingly. I think it's an oversimplification when people talk about 'not changing a winning team'.

I agree with your comments on another thread about JPP - fully deserved to keep his place and proved that with another goal, but I am very frustrated by the selection of Tomlinson - a loan player that you could even argue we don't actually need ahead of Bogle or Amond, both of whom have been fantastic for us so far. And, the favouritism shown to Monkhouse (I know you don't agree), at the expense of Marshall or Arnold. I'm also pretty sick of late substitutions, especially when it's fairly evident that the original selection isn't quite working.
I do think that Hurst's pigheadedness and fundamentally cautious approach does cost us vital points at times. Just an opinion. Last week he got it right. Maybe today he didn't.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 48
jonnyboy82
October 3, 2015, 7:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from ackomariner

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 48
Mendonca1995
October 3, 2015, 7:29pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Monkhouse is shocking

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 48
barralad
October 3, 2015, 7:32pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from ackomariner

Well I've read just about everything on here tonight (sad but at my age...) and whilst there has been some criticism from a lot of people who were at the game of the manager's role in today's events who I'd class as being firmly in the pro-Hurst camp, the usual subjects cannot find it within themselves to say anything remotely positive about the manager.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.