This thread currently has 12,312 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
October 11, 2015, 10:11pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
Back home now. What an awful game that was.

10 hours of travelling on 8 trains, leaving York at 7:30am and getting back at 11pm.

I must be bloody mad.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 78
jonnyboy82
October 12, 2015, 4:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95

I think you are being unfair. It is true that some of us have an overwhelming desire to see the club back where we are used to seeing it but largely that desire is on behalf of the younger fans who have never experienced the highs of promotions and in some cases have never seen league football at BP.

The criticism today is not about big club v little club, it is about the squad that we have compared to the squads at other clubs, big and small. I don't think anyone would disagree that the current squad is the best we have had since relegation. I don't think many would disagree that there are very few players currently in other conference teams who would improve it. So it is a fair question to ask - why is the manager (and some supporters) happy to get a point while playing cluelessly against a team we should beat 9 times out of 10 with the players we have?

My concern would not be just about yesterday, it would be a worry about the future. We have seen some good performances for parts of games this year but I almost feel that the pressing game and quick passing we see in those games is in spite of the manager, not because of him. Yesterday was to me a more nailed on Hurst performance, grinding out a clean sheet result, the sort of workmanlike stuff he likes to see. The only thing missing was a sneaked goal to win it. But this is football on the edge. One slip at the back and would we get a result? Playing this way invites trouble.

There's another factor as well. He talks in the GT about managing Pittman's hamstring for instance. He's a good player but everyman and his dog knows the lad has injury problems. If he didn't, he wouldn't be here, he'd be in the FL somewhere. Yet he's been made first choice rather than back up which is bound to cause problems. Hurst signs Tomlinson on loan and plays him in place of two good strikers he signed on contract in the summer. Why? If that isn't a statement of how he wants the side to play, I don't know what is.

But as I say, it is the future that worries. Those two strikers who did so well together earlier on are now both bench warmers. They come off the bench or they slot in to replace an injury and are expected to show the same confidence and finishing ability they showed in August. The manager publicly tells us it is up to them to prove they deserve a place in the team. How? By scoring goals or by running about as much as Tomlinson? Answers to that one on a postage stamp. He wrecks their confidence, gives them next to no match time and then has the perfect excuse to play someone else again. Next step a contract or long term loan for Tomlinson would be my guess.

Now to me this is rank bad management. Those two strikers are going to be needed, if not now then certainly after Christmas. We are going to need goals from them to maintain our push for 5th spot or whatever. What sort of response will they make? They will either be trying too hard to make the most of their one opportunity or they will have given up the ghost. Certainly they will not be in any frame of mind or fitness to make much of a promotion winning contribution.

I don't know about anyone else but I had a rosy vision of the season in August. Twin strikers signed who were going to have opposing managers needing a chemical toilet in the dugout.

Instead we are back to the same old, same old. Treating opponents with exaggerated respect, the virtues of hard running without the ball chosen over natural confidence and instinct. Of course Bogle has rough edges. Of course he needs to grow into a higher division. Of course he will make mistakes and wrong decisions. Of course he will infuriate fans and manager with unnecessary tricks. But he will score goals if he's allowed to use his instincts and gain confidence again. Amond has the best movement into space in the box we have seen for a long time. He will pick up the bits and pieces given time to settle. A run of games is what they need, not frustration on the bench. They are having the goals knocked out of them.

If you add to that a couple of quick wingers who will find they get more space when defenders are scared witless by looking to find where the strikers have gone and you have an outfit that need not respect any other side in this league.

If that means the defence has to work a bit harder and the midfield has to press for 90 minutes then that's what needs coaching and coaching, not going back to the track back and cover mentality for the whole team. Hurst can't expect to play like this and then suddenly change tack in mid-game when the other lot score and he can't expect the possession game to work either if he still choses runners over footballers up front and relies on super strikes from a winger.

Pie in sky though. Just my Sunday dream and I could be wrong. I was once, but I did promise the officer I wouldn't take the blow up doll out in public again.

Possibly the best post on here ever.

Quality summary RR.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 78
DocTower
October 12, 2015, 7:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Possibly the best post on here ever.

Quality summary RR.

Exactly,  perfectly sums up the way nearly everyone is feeling . However a leopard doesn't change its spots . The more we express our feelings the more entrenched our manager will become .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 78
grimsby pete
October 12, 2015, 9:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Les Brechin
Back home now. What an awful game that was.

10 hours of travelling on 8 trains, leaving York at 7:30am and getting back at 11pm.

I must be bloody mad.  

Next season  get off at Bury St Edmunds and I will give you a lift,

Save you a few hours,  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 78
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 12, 2015, 9:38am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete

Next season  get off at Bury St Edmunds and I will give you a lift,

Save you a few hours,  

Next Season? Not too confident about our promotion chances then Pete?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 78
cmackenzie4
October 12, 2015, 9:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34

I think Pete was meaning when we play Leyton orient Ron.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 78
grimsby pete
October 12, 2015, 9:40am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222

Well there is as much chance of Braintree going up as us,

You never know we both might be league teams  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 78
mike_d
October 12, 2015, 11:29am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
If the pitch was that bad, and Amond has had thigh problems (can someone confirm) then not playing him might have been sensible - can anyone confirm Podge's fitness?

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 78
Chrisblor
October 12, 2015, 12:12pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,810
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from mike_d
If the pitch was that bad, and Amond has had thigh problems (can someone confirm) then not playing him might have been sensible - can anyone confirm Podge's fitness?

He's fully fit and his continued omission from the team is tactical - http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....49-detail/story.html

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.