4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
November 27, 2015, 12:01am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Blundell Park. Friday 27 November. 14:10.

Doig: Paul, Paul, wiv goat Steve Bruce on the phone.

Hurst: What's he want?

Doig: Ah doan nae, but he says he just bought a kidney dish and now he's whistling the Colonel Bogey tune.

Abdul has only got one ball.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
lukeo
November 27, 2015, 7:48am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
glad we have brought in a central midfielder for more competition so we have 4 to fight for 2 spots. I like the fact we are strengthening the squad but worried at the same time as I assumed we got Jones in just to cover for the injuries we've had. Now the boys are all pretty much back and ready I didn't expect another loannee. Just hope it's like some have said and he'll be a 'plan B' option from the bench if things aren't going to plan (a bit like man United and fallanni)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
Bristol Mariner
November 27, 2015, 8:14am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Hurst has the backing of the squad. He's strengthened where needed. We now have the strongest set of players since we've been down here...

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
rancido
November 27, 2015, 8:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Abdul19
I'd sell a kidney and a bollock.

I'll have your bollock - it would be nice to have 4 !!!  lol

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
Teestogreen
November 27, 2015, 8:18pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -152
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
Hurst has the backing of the squad. He's strengthened where needed. We now have the strongest set of players since we've been down here...

I agree - we're on for the treble at this point. In the cups, every win means more money. Great time of the season for optimism.  

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
chaos33
November 27, 2015, 8:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Got lots of thoughts on this, but, in the interests of brevity....now, more than ever, we have a situation that pretty much all players need to understand,  and that is that there is fierce competition for places; so much so, that if you're in, and you're not doing the business, chances are you'll be out. Good things and bad things about that, but it ought to force up overall standards in the long run.

I do just want to add - in Amond, Bogle and Pittman we have three superb, contracted strikers. Unsurpassed as a '3' at this level almost certainly. I would like to see them given a chance to continue if they have a below par game in the interests of forging partnerships and understandings.The stats would say that, as goalscoreres, none of them have done too much wrong, and don't need replacing if fit.

Finally---the players will need to respond positively to this and try to play without manifesting their fears of losing their place in the team if they make a mistake. That could seriously inhibit our play. It's a fine line this strategy.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
HertsGTFC
November 27, 2015, 8:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from moosey_club
So...with the recent flurry of activity in what appears to be a new approach by Hurst to strengthen the team way ahead of January what are the pro's and con's, who are the winners and losers?

Most recently we can cite Ollie Palmer and Richard Brodie as extremes when it comes to signing a striker in January, Brodie was high profile, pretty much a flop and disrupted the squad...Palmer the polar opposite.  
Jones and Alabi, young and largely unheard of, (ala Palmer) signing them now allows us to evaluate and decide ahead of the window in January whether they are cutting it and if not release and try again in the window. Additional competition. Smart move in that way. Pro !
5 strikers now....at least two wont even get on the bench when all fit......additional tinkering for tinkering sakes potential not allowing partnerships to flurrish...pick the loanees and our own strikers confidence gets put out...potential unhappy camp......Cons!!

Conor Henderson....much called for additional centre midfielder...long overdue....again signing now allows us to evaluate and decide ahead of the window in January whether he is cutting it and if not release and try again in the window. Venney and or Clifton probably going out on loan to gain real game time Pro !
Brown, Venney , Clifton effectively being told they are not good enough, unhappy campers...Con !

With three loanees in a week i would assume, based on Hursts usual loanee record,  that come Saturday possibly three of what is supposed to be our strongest squad to date wont even make the bench.....Bogle, Pitman, Marshall, Robertson, East, Brown, Makreth, Pearson...the current likely bench warming candidates...... replaced with young unproven players ..... Con!

I like the early strengthening approach but unless there are unknown injuries or complications with exisiting ones then i cant help thinking Hurst has given himself a selection headache, not only regards the starting 11 but to who makes the bench as well...and this for a team that is just finding a nice run of form.  I would imagine there will be 2/3 heading out before long as a result.

Good post!!!

If we can keep them all for a year (feels like a big if) then we will be a very good odds on bet to get out of this league.  

Lots of players on one year deals who if not getting picked in Jan will look to move on loan to get in the shop window if that's what happens we just need to ensure the ones left are the cream of the crop.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
barralad
November 27, 2015, 8:54pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from chaos33

I do just want to add - in Amond, Bogle and Pittman we have three superb, contracted strikers. Unsurpassed as a '3' at this level almost certainly. I would like to see them given a chance to continue if they have a below par game in the interests of forging partnerships and understandings.The stats would say that, as goalscoreres, none of them have done too much wrong, and don't need replacing if fit.

That seems a tad at odds with the rest of your post. I believe you are quite right when you say that competition for places is fierce. The fact that we've recently signed two strikers on loan suggests nowhere will competition be more fierce than  up front. I think Hurst is sending out the message that there is little room for below par performances and that includes our strikers.
I'm sat wondering whether in Hursts view the idea of settled striking partnerships is any more important than say a central defensive or centre midfield partnership. Ruthlessness from someone who a lot of people consider a bit wishy washy.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
grimsby pete
November 27, 2015, 9:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from rancido

I'll have your bollock - it would be nice to have 4 !!!  lol

I have got 3 but will have one removed soon,

You can have that if you like  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
chaos33
November 27, 2015, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from barralad

That seems a tad at odds with the rest of your post. I believe you are quite right when you say that competition for places is fierce. The fact that we've recently signed two strikers on loan suggests nowhere will competition be more fierce than  up front. I think Hurst is sending out the message that there is little room for below par performances and that includes our strikers.
I'm sat wondering whether in Hursts view the idea of settled striking partnerships is any more important than say a central defensive or centre midfield partnership. Ruthlessness from someone who a lot of people consider a bit wishy washy.

Yes you're right as usual mate and I understand the point you're making there - I can see how that plea is perhaps a little at odds with reality. I suppose it's hard to explain - the idea that fierce competition and a big squad can be both propulsive at times, and destructive at others. It probably springs from the view I have of Amond, Bogle and Pittman, and really wanting to see them play.
I credit Hurst for signing them, and they are all good enough goal scorers to enable us to get promoted, so there's a part of me that doesn't want to see loanees playing instead of them. A flawed view I admit. Having 5 strikers means that nobody is going to get a 'run in the team' - a vital bit of scope for strikers I think. We'll see if the loanees are better than our current players, or if they are good cover in the fullness of time.

Of course, what I didn't mention, was that the number of players we now have (when fit) give us great tactical versatility and potential to change the way we play, or, take a 'horses for courses' approach. A great position to be in when weighing up opponents on a game by game basis.

The most interesting, and welcome of the loan signings for me is Henderson.
IMO we've been crying out for a particular kind of centre midfielder for quite some time. I hope this is him.  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Strengthening strategy ..winners and losers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.