MuddyWaters
November 29, 2015, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Abdul19

Agree about the bench. I don't think it was necessarily a case of him feeling he had to play all 3, just that the lopsidedness of the bench left him little choice when taking Arnold off.

Just guessing that Danny East may have been on the bench but for illness.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
Abdul19
November 29, 2015, 1:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Just guessing that Danny East may have been on the bench but for illness.

I suspect you're right but there's Marshall or Mackreth (who admittedly I'm not a massive fan of) too.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
ginnywings
November 29, 2015, 3:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,146
Gold Stars: 548
Any professional team will have a squad numbering in at least the low 20's, probably more, so if the matchday squad is 16, then it's inevitable that some will be sat in the stands. I can't see what the issue is. I think when Newell and Woods were in charge, we squads numbering in he 30's.

There will always be players out of the matchday squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
Teestogreen
November 29, 2015, 3:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from moosey_club
What worried me today was that with the recent additions the bench looked very lopsided, ie 3 strikers and the fact Hurst felt it necessary to use all three of them.
The substitutions killed off any fluidity or rhythm we had.  

Don't say that Moosey - you'll get 'lynched'  

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
barralad
November 29, 2015, 7:14pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree................. I think Barra said something about managerial ability though I am not a massive fan of PH I think how he has tried to assemble this squad shows some nouse, ability and understanding.

We can't afford to sign Championship squad players on perm deals and their agents ensure we don't but brining some quality like Townsend, Jones and all being well Alibi may just lift us to the levels we need to hit.

The next test for the manger is keeping everybody until the end of the season contracted or loanee if we do this we will be serious contenders despite tonight being 5 points behind the leaders tonight.    

To be clear I am a big fan of Paul Hurst (no sh1t Sherlock). I think the squad we have now is far and away the best since at least the second season under Slade and that is entirely due to Paul's ability to spot a player. The point I was trying to make (badly as it turns out!) was that although I'm pretty sure that a big squad of very decent players will be of a massive advantage in the second half of the season, there may be other factors that come into play such as Johnson's vast managerial experience with his smaller squad.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
Mariner_09
November 29, 2015, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Andrew Newman is No. 37!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Strengthening strategy ..winners and losers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.