Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst town away day!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 134 Guests

Worst town away day!

This thread currently has 13,526 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
gytone
January 31, 2016, 10:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
The last couple of times at Wembley haven't been great, freezing against Wrexham and we lost and of course last year Bristol Rovers , with a bloody terrible ending
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 100
AdamHaddock
January 31, 2016, 10:24pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
The Macclesfield game a couple of years ago that was postponed because town's bus was stuck on a motorway somewhere

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 100
Abdul19
January 31, 2016, 11:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
5-1 defeat at Port Vale, 2004.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 100
SpudUDontLike
January 31, 2016, 11:46pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Tranmere. Plus West Ham being frozen off when I was already down there for the weekend. Mind you, the eventual home leg made up for it!

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 100
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2016, 1:28am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Les Brechin
Apart from Burton, one of two for me.

Luton away 81/82 in the old Division Two, lost 6-0, drunk it down all game, got drenched or Reading away (old Elm Park ground) on Boxing Day in the promotion season 90/91. For some reason it was an 11am kick off so we had to leave Gy at stupid o'clock. Again it drunk it down all game, at half time the stewards took pity on the soaked through Town fans and were going to put us in the end of Reading's side stand but some old git Reading fan complained so we had to stay in the rain all game. Worst we played all season and lost 2-0. To make matters worse some twit ran into the back of us on the way home and we ended up getting home on the back of an AA truck,

I remember that Reading game. Was furcking cold. Rain/sleet. Took a non-football watching mate. He was diagnosed with pneumonia about a week later.

They must have taken agin you Les because there were plenty of other fans near us who they let in to the side stand.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 100
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2016, 1:28am
Meths Drinker
Been relatively lucky with my away days - mostly down south so didn't have far to travel so less opportunity for bad journeys. Despite seeing Town lose 5-0 a couple of times at Palace.

That said, Play-off Final at Cardiff. Damp squibb of an atmosphere and damp squibb of a performance. Delays on the M4 going home added 2 hours to the journey. Only positive note was my son who was about 8 at the time never moaned once in the car and it didn't put him off Town.

Wembley in 2013. Shite deafening PA system. No atmosphere. The result (it seemed almost inevitable from the kick off yet somehow the agony was drawn out for 2 hours). Coldest I've ever been watching Town. Histon temperature may have been lower but at least you could move around and there was some good cheer.

Football wise it has to be Braintree in 2011.

Corinthian Casuals away at Whyteleafe in winter 05-06. Must have been about -5 and the snow which fell before the game was froze. My mates finance had just arrived in Britain for the first time from Brazil and had never seen snow before.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 100
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2016, 1:34am
Meths Drinker
Coldest I've ever experience it at football was Corinthian Casuals away at Whyteleafe in winter 05-06.
My mate persuaded me to drive him and his fiancé (she was a Corinthiana from Sao Paolo, hence the interest in obscure non-league football). She had just had just arrived in Britain for the first time from Brazil and had never seen snow before.

Proper heavy snow fall on the way over there (south of Croydon). Very rare down here. Must have been about -5 and the snow which fell before the game froze. If you think you've seen some crap games, imagine football 3 tiers below the Conference played in those conditions.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 100
grimps
February 1, 2016, 3:15am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
This thread could end up an 100 pager  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 100
bradzmilne
February 1, 2016, 10:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 30
Bristol hurt, Bristol really hurt. I've still not watched the highlights (other than the 'fish' chant). It was just the sense that it genuinely was our time and the whole town had almost rallied around us. 1-0 Up after minutes was this the day that was going to see us back?!?! No.
Burton wasn't nice, but it was inevitable. If that squad stayed up it would have been daylight robbery. Obviously off the field antics really put a damper on that game.
Few different ones in recent years losing to Braintree 2-0 on a Tuesday night, we was never going to win Christ knows why I went. Dartford on a Thursday when Hursty to opted to field a team weaker than most division 6 Sunday league teams. Wrexham and Macclesfield which both got called off. 4 of the first 5 non league away games - just seemed to cement the fact we was becoming non-league nothing-ness.

Ah well, the bad days make the good days even better (I hope...)

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 100
GYinScuntland
February 1, 2016, 10:45am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Gateshead on Saturday. I'm still in Sunderland Royal Hospital and the food's gopping. Grrr
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst town away day!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.