Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How Far Have We Come..........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 259 Guests

How Far Have We Come..........

This thread currently has 9,547 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
big al
February 5, 2016, 1:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from psgmariner
The "we have better players than last year" line gets trotted out every year.

No doubt it will next year whatever division we are in. People always favour current players over those who have gone on to pastures new.

Fairish point but I think they are better players. We've not seen the like of Amond for donkeys years and so many players have improved from where they began - Toto a prime example.

This is a better team than last year and CTFC and FGR are not as good as Barnet or BR were last season. So why aren't we top and why don't we look like we're going to be champions? Don't know. There in lies the rub.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
arryarryarry
February 5, 2016, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner

Biggest budget win the league?  Yeah, generally it does.  Not all the time but more often than not they do.  Chelsea last season - whacked the cash on Costa and Fabregas - won the league.  Bournemouth last year in the Championship - ridiculously big budget saw them win the league.

The big teams that are sacking their managers are either over-reacting or have failed to strengthen where needed and most importantly when needed.  Using the obvious example of Mourinho, he made no secret of his disappointment at the clubs inability to replace ageing players within the squad.  Now there are far more many factors involved in Chelsea's demise under him but for me the biggest issue was the hierarchy there got complacent and didn't believe in spending whereas their rivals did.  

Doesn't the fact that we've outperformed FGR season on season tell you that Hurst isn't doing that bad a job really?   If we've got the fifth best budget in the league, we should see anything as finishing above fifth as better than expected.

Don't get me wrong, I really really want us to win this league.  But there's a small handful of clubs who will be thinking the same and that they expect to win it, based solely on a far superior budget and/or location factors.  

I think finishing above FGR had more to do with their managers and the players they signed, just ask any FGR fan, their board was full of complaints and "sack the manager" comments.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
barralad
February 5, 2016, 1:36pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think finishing above FGR had more to do with their managers and the players they signed, just ask any FGR fan, their board was full of complaints and "sack the manager" comments.

If I could find a VGR fan I probably would..
So up against his contemporaries Hurst isnt doing a bad job?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 70
Pint of Mild Please Batchy
February 5, 2016, 1:47pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +15
Quoted from GrimRob

[b][/b]
We were playing two divisions above our natural level for most of the 1990s and now we are one division below, and at the right end of it. Bury and Rochdale are from an area where there is more money that's why they have risen as the demographics of the game have changed. Scunny are definitely in a higher division than their natural level, but that doesn't mean you should demand the same of us.

The fact is that your are attributing a fall that would have happened anyway to benign loans and all of the rest of it because you think Town are a far bigger fish than they actually are.

Having just looked at the football league tables of all four divisions, I think you would struggle NOT to list 22 clubs which are smaller than Town. Our natural level is league one, on par with clubs like Oldham, Blackpool, Port Vale.  Grimrob you write some tosh at times!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
kingster72
February 6, 2016, 8:04am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
How far have we come? Under John Fenty very far, from the 2nd tier of English football to being stuck in non-league. I will never forgive him for allowing our club to suffer as it has in the last few years.  We've no given right to be a league team, but Fenty is totally inept & to blame for our current status. Win promotion or not this season, this club has to remove the one factor responsible for its recent decline if it's to be competing with Scunthorpe again for players & bragging rights. No CEO, or MD of any other business would have survived the incompetence of his control.  Also the new stadium will only happen, after he has gone!  The local authorities seem to have a problem with him.  If he doesn't do the right thing this summer and leave, it's time the fans demanded change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
chaos33
February 6, 2016, 8:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360

Having just looked at the football league tables of all four divisions, I think you would struggle NOT to list 22 clubs which are smaller than Town. Our natural level is league one, on par with clubs like Oldham, Blackpool, Port Vale.  Grimrob you write some tosh at times!

I agree with that

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
Rick12
February 6, 2016, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Sorry but fenty doesnt have a hard decision to make if we dont go up..

Its quite a straight forward one to make and it involves thanks for the hard work and good luck at your new club.

Harsh but true for me JohhnyBoy.We have to do whats in the best interest for the club and my gut is if we dont get the promotion this year let him go

Lets not remember that Hurst came to us from Boston and shows ultimately he just wants to better himself as well(cant really blame him).At the heart of it he wants whats best for himself not the club as do many of the players.Lets face it though if they were any good they wouldn't be playing for us but be where the money is eg the prem.Only thing that sticks is the true fans who carry the club through thick and thin

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
MuddyWaters
February 6, 2016, 9:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from kingster72
How far have we come? Under John Fenty very far, from the 2nd tier of English football to being stuck in non-league. I will never forgive him for allowing our club to suffer as it has in the last few years.  We've no given right to be a league team, but Fenty is totally inept & to blame for our current status. Win promotion or not this season, this club has to remove the one factor responsible for its recent decline if it's to be competing with Scunthorpe again for players & bragging rights. No CEO, or MD of any other business would have survived the incompetence of his control.  Also the new stadium will only happen, after he has gone!  The local authorities seem to have a problem with him.  If he doesn't do the right thing this summer and leave, it's time the fans demanded change.

I'm sure, from what I've heard, that this is true.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
Fishy4Skin
February 7, 2016, 1:27pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -69
I think there's a significant advantage through having the biggest budget, I don't think it can be argued that it makes it much harder for those with less cash to spend.  Therefore FGR should be first, Eastleigh Second and so on, so how have Cheltenham got to be top of the league?  Did they have a big budget?  I genuinely don't know the answer.  That aside assuming we have a top 6 budget then a top 6 finish is on target I suppose.  However for me, success isn't about being on target, it's about exceeding targets if that's the only way to get promoted.  Successful teams in football exceed targets, successful Managers in all walks of life exceed targets, 'steady Eddies' simply keep things on an even keel.

Paul seems to fall into the steady Eddie category, there or there abouts but just doesn't quite have that little bit extra to generate success.  That for me is why he must go at the end of the season if we are still in this league. He isn't a poor Manager by any measurement, but at GTFC he hasn't been a successful one either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
HertsGTFC
February 7, 2016, 2:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from kingster72

The absolute root cause of all our problems! Despite hi assertions that all our problems are down to ITV Digital ????

Local Authorities probably have a an issue with him on the basis of.........

1. The "Golden Touch" he has had with GTFC, that speaks for itself.

2. He is a Tory Councillor and to some this may feel like a conflict of interests when talking (and it is all talk) about the mythical stadium.

This club will only succeed with a change at board level. It does not have to be a wealthy benefactor but just someone who wants to deliver football as well as commercial success to the club and it's fans.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How Far Have We Come..........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.