Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Calculate the interest
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 123 Guests

Calculate the interest

This thread currently has 18,811 views. Print
22 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Fillipe Noche
December 28, 2020, 12:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
I’m just going to play the Devils Adviocat for a bit.

Benign loans is an interesting term that comes up time and again in regards to the money that John Fenty has loaned to Grimsby Town Football Club.

Benign loans is certainly not a term that is used in the world of commercial lending. It appears to be a term John himself used in respect of the money he is loaning to the club, not his share purchases.

It got me thinking as I’ve had a wee bit of commercial borrowing experience in business myself.

First of all, I guess that the more intelligent amongst us probably realise that high street banks and commercial lenders would never realistically lend these sums of money to Town. We just aren’t a viable proposition, with no security either.

So, John Fenty has stood in and took the place of commercial lenders that wouldn’t touch a football club like ours with a barge pole. He has done so out of his own pocket, and he’s called them benign loans.

Benign in terms of no pressure to pay off any of the capital sum whilst he is still involved at the club. You don’t get that privilege when taking out a commercial business loan. You are expected to reduce the capital sum outstanding every single month.

Benign in terms of John’s agreement to not charge a single penny in interest. You certainly don’t ever get commercial loans at zero % interest. Can you image asking a bank to give you a loan with no repayments for god knows how many years and at zero interest?

Now I know that I’m going to be accused yet again as being pro board. I’m not, infact I’m fairly chilled about it. As I’ve said elsewhere, it doesn’t matter to me if we get new owners or not, just as long as they can do financially, at the very minimum, that what John Fenty has done.

So my questions are this,

1: If John hadn’t made these loans what he calls benign, then could Grimsby Town FC have been able to keep up with the monthly repayments?

2: What sum of money has Grimsby Town Football Club saved in interest charges on the huge capital sum that John Fenty has lent Grimsby Town Football Club at zero %. It must be mega. Especially on what is a sum that has hardly ever reduced significantly.

3: This is the big one. New owners. In paying off John Fenty’s loans, it’s a fair assumption that the loans will still sit on the Grimsby Town FC books, but now owing to you. So my question to the new owners is this. In respect of money you will have to lend to Grimsby Town FC, are you prepared to make these benign too, without monthly capital and interest repayments, where interest is going to be zero %. No pressure to repay whilst your consortium is involved in the club?

Maybe these are questions John Fenty expects to be answered too. Maybe these are the assurances he also seeks to protect the football club he loves.

As I said, just being Devils Advocate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Marinerz93
December 28, 2020, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
IF the loans are truly benign then he won't care when he gets them back or at what rate.

This is not the case though is it, Mike Parker ring any bells. You know someone who gifted the trust $500K worth of shares with no conditions.

Remember where the benign loans come from, John hired and fired who he liked over the last couple of decades, and paid up players to get shot of them, he did this off his own back and should bear the consequences of that.

I'm sure if the deal goes through John will be paid the £200 K for the shares he got free off the trust so deduct that from any interest rates you want to add to his benign loans and shove it up your pro board bottom.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 217
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 28, 2020, 12:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
The ‘club he loves’!

Calculate the cost of the free advertising and use of the club on his crusade to local political positions.

Calculate the damage he has done to the reputation of the town and the club.

Calculate the loss of a whole generation of potential young fans because of his inept regime.

The list goes on...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 217
GrimRob
December 28, 2020, 12:54pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
You could debate this until the cows come home and there is no "correct" answer. He's got a decent deal and should take it.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 217
MuddyWaters
December 28, 2020, 12:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Ok, Phil Night. Very interesting that you want the new owners to do what JF has done financially, for the club. What about what he’s done for the football side? No man who loves GTFC would have allowed the club to fall into non league, let alone spend six years there losing thick end of £3 million in revenue.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 217
Fillipe Noche
December 28, 2020, 12:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93
IF the loans are truly benign then he won't care when he gets them back or at what rate.

This is not the case though is it, Mike Parker ring any bells. You know someone who gifted the trust $500K worth of shares with no conditions.

Remember where the benign loans come from, John hired and fired who he liked over the last couple of decades, and paid up players to get shot of them, he did this off his own back and should bear the consequences of that.

I'm sure if the deal goes through John will be paid the £200 K for the shares he got free off the trust so deduct that from any interest rates you want to add to his benign loans and shove it up your pro board bottom.

Far too simplistic in your view/opinion

If he never wanted the money back, then the money would never have been called loans. They are loans and the very essence of a loan is that one day it has to be repaid.

You also have to factor in that theses loans are legal loans listed in the accounts. You can’t just wipe them out without accounting for them. They form part of the business liabilities
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 217
Fillipe Noche
December 28, 2020, 12:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
The ‘club he loves’!

Calculate the cost of the free advertising and use of the club on his crusade to local political positions.

Calculate the damage he has done to the reputation of the town and the club.

Calculate the loss of a whole generation of potential young fans because of his inept regime.

The list goes on...

That’s just emotional poppycock. Not a rational business argument
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 217
Marinerz93
December 28, 2020, 12:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
The ‘club he loves’!

Calculate the damage he has done to reputation of the town and the club.

Calculate the loss of a whole generation of fans because of his inept regime.

The list goes on...

Calculate all the freebies of home and away games for him and his family / friends

Calculate the wining and dining

Calculate the job opportunities for family members at the club.

Calculate the free parking home and away for directors right out side the grounds or travelling on the team coach.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 217
Fillipe Noche
December 28, 2020, 12:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
You could debate this until the cows come home and there is no "correct" answer. He's got a decent deal and should take it.

So it doesn’t bother you if newco comes along, and expects all of a sudden to start taking out monthly payments with interest ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 217
KingstonMariner
December 28, 2020, 12:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
He fought for control of the club. He got it. The debt built up and up under his tenure.  So any debt should be for him to cover not the club or it’s new owners.

Then there’s the point about Parker. £1m in shares versus £775k for Fenty (he didn’t pay for the other £200k).

These other guys have got much more capacity to support the club than Fenty. Know-how, money, experience. And they can do it ethically.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 217
22 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Calculate the interest

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.