Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Post-Doncaster- Artell: Sack or Keep?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Post-Doncaster should we sack David Artell?
Yes, Sack Him, (127 votes)
85.23%
No. Don't Sack Him. (22 votes)
14.77%
149 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll
Voting in this poll has ended.

Post-Doncaster- Artell: Sack or Keep?

This thread currently has 3,592 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
February 18, 2024, 1:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Being given asked to dig in with a plastic spoon.Were done
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
MuddyWaters
February 18, 2024, 1:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,253
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33

The problem with this is that we should’ve been ‘digging in’ long before now. We should be now, and we aren’t. These performances are more ‘caving in’ than ‘digging in’. Sentiment and calls to arms won’t sort this. We can’t pull close now. Not after yesterday’s scenes. Surely this must be seen by the owners. I think JS is emotionally intelligent. He must surely read the room now. Wish it could be done Jason. Nobody likes or wants this. It’s bleak. It’s got to end and be replaced with something that people can actually ‘pull close and dig in’ with.

It’s not the only thing we can do, is it? 15 games is a third of a season, it’s plenty of time.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
toontown
February 18, 2024, 1:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from mariner91

Isn’t that what people were saying last week? And we got bent over by an exceptionally average Donny.

Average is too flattering for them, they were barely above our pile of shite before the game, they're dreadful but won at an absolute canter. They literally stopped trying at 4 1 and still scored another and could have had 1 more!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
The Caterham Mariner
February 18, 2024, 1:10pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +85
Gold Stars: 8
JS= "Dig In!" , dig in any more i will be in Australia....To be direct to the point no fancy words or phrases = SACK.
JS  look over the top of laptop and be realistic ,because next season you will be rubbing shoulders with me at Eastleigh ,Dover  and Woking etc
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
toontown
February 18, 2024, 1:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from arryarryarry

I can't remember the last time there was a chorus of fans singing "you're not fit to wear the shirt" Obviously it wasn't all fans as most had drunk off home at that point.

I distinctly remember it at Oldham away when we got tonked during league1 relegation, can't really remember it much since then which is a surprise!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
devs
February 18, 2024, 1:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

It's six points.

Our goal difference has worsened by about 2 goals per game since the start of the year

We are 6pts clear and have a superior GD - so effectively seven surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
Poojah
February 18, 2024, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500

I like how you're limiting the scope to 6 games to load the question and I'm not going to play your game, because I have the memory of the full season and not the last couple of matches.

Our biggest problems were defence, full back and DM. I personally think Hume is an improvement. We have comeptition at CB so can bring our Maher or Rodgers. I'd have personally gone with Maher after seeing him refuse a pass and put Cartwright up excrement creek. Smith is young and is still bedding in. I'll personally give it time like I did with Pyke and Vernam when The Fishy wrote them both off.

He can get us to compete with Notts and Accrington. 1 goal would have won it for us, and if he can do the same in future matches, with that squad we had for Accrington and maybe Hunt also fit, I think we have reasonable chances of a result on any day. The problem with this mentally weak squad is we also have reasonable chances of a tanking. Draws ain't going to get us out of this situation. We'd probably want a good 4 wins on the board, and I think we can do that, even if there is several more losses. We do not have the squad to go much past survival right now, but I personally think DA is the best chance of that with this squad.

Oh, and on what metrics, yesterday, we had more possession, more shots, the same number of shots on target and virtually the same amount of corners. Unfortunately they had 4 shots on goal and scored 5. Hot knife through butter. I'm getting Eastwood vibes.

I’m not trying to play games; I referenced the last 6 matches because they’re the best insight we have into the short-term future direction of travel. But even if you go back to include the good bits, when it was initially promising in all fairness, he still has one of if not the worst managerial record in GTFC history as things stand.

I have never known a Town side concede 21 goals in the space of 6 games, or 5 home games, however you want to look at it. Has that ever happened happened before in the club’s history? I suspect it probably hasn’t, and certainly not post-war.

Whatever you believe the manager is capable of producing in our upcoming games, is it undeniable that we are seeing managerial underperformance of historic proportions. That tends to outweigh any faith that he might have earned during his early games in charge, especially when it comes at a time when we are at real risk of an unthinkable third relegation to non-league.

Ultimately, your opinion is in direct contrast to the popular view on here and amongst Town fans more broadly, but that doesn’t necessarily make you wrong. We’ve seen throughout history that sometimes the correct or more progressive viewpoint is the unpopular one, but in this particular instance the evidence, to my mind, looks to be seriously mounting against the idea that David Artell is the man to get us out of our sizeable predicament.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
Mappers
February 18, 2024, 2:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Poojah

I’m not trying to play games; I referenced the last 6 games because they’re the best insight we have into the short-term future of travel. But even if you go back to include the good bits, when it was initially promising in all fairness, he still has one of if not the worst managerial record in GTFC history as things stand.

I have never known a Town side concede 21 goals in the space of 6 games, or 5 home games, however you want to look at it. Has that ever happened happened before in the club’s history? I suspect it probably hasn’t, and certainly not post-war.

Whatever you believe the manager is capable of producing in our upcoming games, is it undeniable that we are seeing managerial underperformance of historic proportions. That tends to outweigh any faith that he might have earned during his early games in charge, especially when it comes at a time when we are at real risk of an unthinkable third relegation to non-league.

Ultimately, your opinion is in direct contrast to the popular view on here and amongst Town fans more broadly, but that doesn’t necessarily make you wrong. We’ve seen throughout history that sometimes the correct or more progressive viewpoint is the unpopular one, but in this particular instance the evidence, to my mind, looks to be seriously mounting against the idea that David Artell is the man to get us out of our sizeable predicament.

He managed 16 games without a win at Crewe when things went pear ,I'm  genuinely concerned if he stays similiar might be repeated here .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
PB
February 18, 2024, 2:23pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Poojah
Stockwood’s just posted this. If this is an inference that we are allowing Artell to stay on, then he’s got it catastrophically wrong imo.

Tweet 1759184951314915455 will appear here...

So JS is sticking with Artell for now (is he too expensive to sack?). I wonder how long he is planning on ‘digging in’? …..the rest of the season? Surely defeat by FGR would be the end.

BTW -  As a regular Grauniad writer he should know it’s not ‘your’ but ‘you’re’.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
chaos33
February 18, 2024, 2:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from PB

So JS is sticking with Artell for now (is he too expensive to sack?). I wonder how long he is planning on ‘digging in’? …..the rest of the season? Surely defeat by FGR would be the end.

BTW -  As a regular Grauniad writer he should know it’s not ‘your’ but ‘you’re’.  

Err….except it isn’t. It’s your.  Read it again clever trousers.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Post-Doncaster- Artell: Sack or Keep?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.