Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Post-Doncaster- Artell: Sack or Keep?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Post-Doncaster should we sack David Artell?
Yes, Sack Him, (127 votes)
85.23%
No. Don't Sack Him. (22 votes)
14.77%
149 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll
Voting in this poll has ended.

Post-Doncaster- Artell: Sack or Keep?

This thread currently has 3,588 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerdeano
February 18, 2024, 2:33pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
I read JS' post as a vote of confidence for one final chance for 3 points next week. I could be wrong.

I guess the difficulties of sacking Artell are:

a) Cost
b) Time in the recruitment process, which we wouldn't be able to do as before (but look where that has gotten us
c) The off chance that the long-term Artell plan may come to fruition.

Answers:

a) Use the Conteh money if there is no contractual clause. Sad waste but majority of the crowd seems to have lost faith and that's no good in a battle.
b) See who is available and move heaven and earth to get whoever is best as quickly as possible on a firefighting mission.
c) sod the long term right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 61
Mayaman
February 18, 2024, 2:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,401
Gold Stars: 74
I started watching Town in the late 70's.  Just last night I was telling my girlfriend here that I was in the main stand as a child with my cousin and we were playing Doncaster.  A scuffle broke out between the police and the fans.  - A fan chucked a cup of hot tea in a copper's face.  It turned nasty quickly.  Pairs of hands lifted me up and I was passed to the back for my own safety.   It made me feel part of the family.  I neve felt at home much among my real relatives until I was much older. That's maybe why I joined up and then went gallivanting  around the globe.   GTFC, in short has given me a sense of belonging.

So, of course, I hate the fact that we are going through crappy times (again) but how can finding us in position where our manager fears for his physical safety?  We have to put it in perspective, Shankly was wrong regarding his quote re football being more than life and death.   I still think we have the ability to stave off relegation.  However, I am not sure who should be at the helm; I guess I'll leave that up to the owners. Since Waterfall's departure, we are lacking leadership on the pitch. Why can't we provide that leadership?   The players need us more now than during the Southampton game last year.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 61
oochiad
February 18, 2024, 2:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Marinerdeano
I read JS' post as a vote of confidence for one final chance for 3 points next week. I could be wrong.

I guess the difficulties of sacking Artell are:

a) Cost
b) Time in the recruitment process, which we wouldn't be able to do as before (but look where that has gotten us
c) The off chance that the long-term Artell plan may come to fruition.

Answers:

a) Use the Conteh money if there is no contractual clause. Sad waste but majority of the crowd seems to have lost faith and that's no good in a battle.
b) See who is available and move heaven and earth to get whoever is best as quickly as possible on a firefighting mission.
c) sod the long term right now.

I read it as 15games……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 61
Balthazar Bullitt
February 18, 2024, 2:41pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from devs

We are 6pts clear and have a superior GD - so effectively seven surely?

The point I'm making is that goal difference advantage has been very rapidly eaten into and I think it will only get worse . I very much doubt it is worth an extra point. Agree to disagree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 61
JK47
February 18, 2024, 3:43pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Maybe the tweet is the traditional Chairman's Vote of Confidence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 61
JK47
February 18, 2024, 3:52pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from ginnywings
To put it into context, we lost 6-1 to Walsall, and I believe that was our worst defeat in something like 70 years, and but for the width of a post, that would have been repeated yesterday, merely weeks later.

I was also told last night that the 5-5 result was the only time we have had that score in our history, so we have had three exceptional results, mostly to our detriment in the space of a few weeks.

It just cannot be defended.

The only caveat I can add (and I am desperately searching for the tiniest glimmer of hope here) is that this is maybe what it is going to take to finally release us from the death spiral of the last 20 years, and indeed it is a case of it will get much worse before it gets better, and Artell is railing against two decades of entrenched apathy and underperformance, which will finally see us emerge into the light of progressive, attacking, winning football.

Nah! Me neither.

Sorry to be padantic (as ever!) but we have had 5-5 draws before.  Three in fact, the last one being v Fulham in January 1954.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 61
DB
February 18, 2024, 4:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,004
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Chrisblor
I'm in the position where I don't really think it matters if we keep or sack Artell - I'm utterly certain that our group of gutless abject players won't perform under any manager. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't exactly be sad to see the back of Artell, but with this squad our league status hinges entirely on the performances of Sutton and FGR between now and the end of April imo.

It's a very sad state of affairs that you have to rely on this, especially when you're 6 points to the good and a game in hand.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 61
davmariner
February 18, 2024, 5:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,931
Gold Stars: 79
Stumbled across this image on Twitter from when he was at Crewe. How very apt.

Tweet 1513196610578272261 will appear here...

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 61
ginnywings
February 18, 2024, 5:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from JK47

Sorry to be padantic (as ever!) but we have had 5-5 draws before.  Three in fact, the last one being v Fulham in January 1954.

It was told to me by someone in the pub last night, and I didn't check it. It's still a remarkable set of results in such a short space of time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 61
ROKERITE
February 18, 2024, 8:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from davmariner
Stumbled across this image on Twitter from when he was at Crewe. How very apt.

Tweet 1513196610578272261 will appear here...

If he can replicate the first five years he had at Gresty Road there won't be many unhappy with him. But he needed time at Crewe, something in very short supply anywhere these days. Looking over his record at Crewe they had more than one bad run which would have seen him sacked nowadays.  Crewe persisted with him and were rewarded for it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Post-Doncaster- Artell: Sack or Keep?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.