Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › JS where are you.!!!!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

JS where are you.!!!!

This thread currently has 13,902 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
March 30, 2024, 11:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,026
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Maringer

Nope. The data regarding the need for lockdown was straightforward. Anything else was the failing of government. And let's face it, they failed a lot.

As for data, it is just information. What is relevant is how it is analysed and used. You don't apparently think that proper analysis is possible in some fields, but that's not what the pretty much all of the richest and most successful football clubs in the country believe.

So what about those clubs floundering at the bottom of their respective leagues, are they not analysing the data correctly?

And if now we are using data to sign the right players, decide how we play on the pitch why are we tiptoeing on the National League trap door?
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 182
toontown
March 30, 2024, 11:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,268
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from mariner91

The only player we know for sure that had a large or almost entire input from the Head of Recruitment was Conteh. Who is one of the two good signings we made and who without, we'd have struggled signficantly more this season. And every man and his dog knows that Danny Rose is a good striker for L2.

Vernam and Mullarkey were previous targets of Hurst's before the head of recruitment came in, only one of them is FL standard and he's regularly out injured. Eisa and Eastwood had both worked with Hurst before. Hurst is also one of the most stubborn feckers you'll ever come across and I highly doubt he'd allow a player to be signed that he didn't want. And it's a total nonsense to suggest he wouldn't have put together a squad that was so poor on his own, he'd done exactly that the season before. Left to his own devices he'd done things as daft as paying a transfer fee for Kieran Green and giving him a three year contract. And in the 2016/17 season had signed players like James Berrett, Sean McAllister, Andrew Boyce, Ashley Chambers, Tom Bolarinwa and Rhys Browne who were all utterly dreadful. He replaced Padraig Amond with Scott Vernon! I know you have an irrational hatred of data but the fact is that virtually every time Paul Hurst had a transfer window in the FL with Town, his recruitment was beyond woeful. The odd actually quality player like Danny Andrews, Danny Collins and Jay Matete but in the main mostly shite.

Yep.
Mullarkey - Hurst
Vernam - Hurst
Eastwood - Hurst
Eisa - Hurst
Pyke - hurst
Ainley - Hurst
Cartwright - croudson
Rose- probably both agreed
Wilson - recruitment person?
Rodgers - probably recruitment person
Conteh - recruitment person

Any I've missed from the summer?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 182
male private Nale
March 31, 2024, 3:36am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -924
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So you don’t actually know about what you’re denying has value.

Not sure what you did at college but all data isn’t flawed, I work with data most days & it’s essential to the sector I work in.

Four years ago data arguably saved a lot lives.

Oh really, getting the scamdemic in at every opportunity
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 182
lew chaterleys lover
March 31, 2024, 8:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,809
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Maringer

Nope. The data regarding the need for lockdown was straightforward. Anything else was the failing of government. And let's face it, they failed a lot.

As for data, it is just information. What is relevant is how it is analysed and used. You don't apparently think that proper analysis is possible in some fields, but that's not what the pretty much all of the richest and most successful football clubs in the country believe.

Yep! Interpretation of data is such a large part of the data industry. To interpret often flawed data leads to all sorts of wrong conclusions as we see all the time in all sorts of fields.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 182
1mickylyons
March 31, 2024, 9:07am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,398
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from HertsGTFC

They deserve more respect than some people are giving them. They’re Town supporters who came in when it was looking pretty broken.

Vanity project? More like sympathy case as to be honest in reality the likelihood of them seeing any return on the money they’ve put in is remote. That is where the issue is as unless you’re an equally dedicated Town supporter with a few quid in the bank you wouldn’t look at investing I. Our club.

You seem a good egg Herts a bit too nice.

How can we give them respect when they're overseeing this shambles it's no better than Fenty?
Unlike Fenty they've had great support with average home gates over 6k .Where the intercourse is the on field investment I'm not interested in all the other stuff at the moment ffs sort out the first team.I  don't want or expect anything much but 11 players who can pass and control a football would be a good start .The Manager comes across as an arrogant pr1ck harping on about how great he did at Crewe .News for you Dave your at Grimsby now and you have madd a poor team worse and I'm sat thinking you've blagged this job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 182
Maringer
March 31, 2024, 9:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189

Yep! Interpretation of data is such a large part of the data industry. To interpret often flawed data leads to all sorts of wrong conclusions as we see all the time in all sorts of fields.

For what it's worth, I personally think that there is something in the football data which is useful, but it isn't the be all and end all of the situation. I suppose it depends on how much you trust the value of xG and the like. Of course, xG doesn't factor in that some players can stick the ball in the net from any sort of an angle and from any half-chance, whereas others couldn't hit a cow's bottom with a banjo when in a good scoring position. We've got more of the latter than the former.

Brighton and Brentford have gone big on data and it has worked for them. However, it has also been backed up by very wealthy owners (who apparently hate each other!) spending money to buy good players as well as getting themselves good managers.

A couple of months ago, a book came out about Liverpool's use of data which is claimed to help them compete against the really big PL spenders. Another came out the other week about Brentford and how data has been used as part of their rise to competitors in the PL. Due to the amount of money sloshing about up there, a lot of clever folk will be employed to try and eke out every tiny bit of improvement which can be worth tens of millions. I think there must be enough in the data to make it worthwhile.

Our predicament this season stems from terrible signings by Hurst and the inference is that not many of those were decided by any sort of data (Eastwood, for instance).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 182
Brummie Codfather
March 31, 2024, 10:02am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +887
Gold Stars: 22
Honestly, the state of this thread a it has everything you get from Town fan bingo:

Lost a game - manager hasn’t a clue (from people that two games ago were saying “hands up I got it wrong about Artell”)
Scotch Eggs - seriously wtf is wrong with a scotch egg
One of the owners write in the Guardian - as if that effects anything
People saying season ticket sales will fall dramatically next season, while 2 games ago they were crying out for a bigger ground because we can’t get enough fans in

Oh and the crème turd on the top of the pile - everything being data’s fault because some flipping luddites can’t abide a different approach.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 182
friskneymariner
March 31, 2024, 10:24am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38

Interpretation of data invariably is politicised to suit the agenda of those with vested interests in the data.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 182
friskneymariner
March 31, 2024, 10:32am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
When the new owners came in,they were given a significant amount of goodwill,perhaps for being anybody else rather then Fenty. The fans reciprocated by the increase in seasons tickets and purchasing merchandise,what were we given back,glass panels and a flag on the clubs badge.The honeymoon is well and truly over,now is the time to show leadership,which does not entail hiding away and not taking responsibility. What this club needs is someone who is not afraid to speak truth to power.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 182
Mappers
March 31, 2024, 10:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,565
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Brummie Codfather
Honestly, the state of this thread a it has everything you get from Town fan bingo:

Lost a game - manager hasn’t a clue (from people that two games ago were saying “hands up I got it wrong about Artell”)
Scotch Eggs - seriously wtf is wrong with a scotch egg
One of the owners write in the Guardian - as if that effects anything
People saying season ticket sales will fall dramatically next season, while 2 games ago they were crying out for a bigger ground because we can’t get enough fans in

Oh and the crème turd on the top of the pile - everything being data’s fault because some flipping luddites can’t abide a different approach.

My view on all :
Artell-seems a good person but  not sure as a manager - wasn't after the good run ,still not - deserves a shot at it if he keeps us up ; if we don't he will probably walk anyway .
Scotch Eggs - don't like them but a nice touch .
Guardian articles - each to their own , you can choose whether you need it or not can't you  .
Season tickets - should fall dramatically , I think they will but mugs like you and me will buy 1 even after a season consisting of a likely single figure win rate which is dire . We need a new ground /better facilities whether we are in nln or league 1 it's not fit for purpose but that's a seperate long term issue that we have done to death on here . Capacity is too low aswell but again another side issue .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 182
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › JS where are you.!!!!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.