TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 19, 2014, 6:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GrimRob

Players don't want to come to Grimsby. They might not want it on their CV that they've had to drop a division or two to go somewhere perceived as an outpost of football. It might be a lot of travelling as well or mean staying away from home. I remember a few years ago we had a loan player (forgotten which) who after he returned to his parent club said words to the effect that "you know your career's in trouble when you're sent on loan to Grimsby".

That has always been true to a degree. That was why at one time the club owned several houses for players and their families. It was why Would and Wilkinson used to find work for some players in the close season. There were and are lots of ways the club has enticed players to come including new kitchens!

I am talking about the recent past, in fact the very recent past when JF was talking about exciting signings. Now I would be the first to admit we have signed some fair players for this year but the key positions up front are still a problem. Even with all 3 strikers fit it is still a problem. Perhaps some players feel this is a graveyard for strikers. After all, even Hannah's goals dried up alarmingly after we signed him.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 103
Mariner Ronnie
September 19, 2014, 6:44pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6

Perhaps you could explain exactly why it can't have been easy for the manager to sign up a decent striker. Before the season even began and before we got into this mess he also found it "not easy". Yet as I understand it, JF said we have the money available. I keep asking this question but why do strikers apparently not want to come here?

I don't think there is negativity, just puzzlement. The more puzzled we get the more we start to think it has something to do with the management rather than the club or the town.

Yeah but that's in the past and now he's brought in a striker and people are jumping on hurst's back without even watching him play, it's actually getting quite boring now, either get behind the team or support someone else.

That's not a dig at you rrfc

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 103
Stevie Saunders
September 19, 2014, 6:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Buckley says in his autobiography that he used to have a helluva job attracting quality strikers/players when he was managing us on Div 2 - always been regarded as an outpost, a run down depressed town, and not very appealing for some players with families etc
It's not nice to hear but it's the truth
Loan move to Woking for southern-based players has more appeal to a lot of players, for example, cos it's close to London
Even Lincoln - and I hate writing this - is a far more attractive place to work (after all that's what it is... a job);  more central, nice city, not far from Nottingham

People (footballers) have far more choice than 30/40 yars ago and that includes lifestyle choice; hence a lot of very players stay part-time and have a job outside the game to boost their salary etc

We have limited funds and Hurst tries to spend it as wisely as possible - can't be easy, hence he doesn't panic buy but takes his time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 103
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2014, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Stevie Saunders

Even Lincoln - and I hate writing this - is a far more attractive place to work (after all that's what it is... a job);  more central, nice city, not far from Nottingham

People (footballers) have far more choice than 30/40 yars ago and that includes lifestyle choice; hence a lot of very players stay part-time and have a job outside the game to boost their salary etc

We have limited funds and Hurst tries to spend it as wisely as possible - can't be easy, hence he doesn't panic buy but takes his time

Don't know what a lot of very players are but the best way to get players to Grimsby is to pay them more than other clubs. It's not the most palatable scenario, but I really believe that you need to spend your way out of this league.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 103
mariner91
September 19, 2014, 7:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261

That has always been true to a degree. That was why at one time the club owned several houses for players and their families. It was why Would and Wilkinson used to find work for some players in the close season. There were and are lots of ways the club has enticed players to come including new kitchens!

I am talking about the recent past, in fact the very recent past when JF was talking about exciting signings. Now I would be the first to admit we have signed some fair players for this year but the key positions up front are still a problem. Even with all 3 strikers fit it is still a problem. Perhaps some players feel this is a graveyard for strikers. After all, even Hannah's goals dried up alarmingly after we signed him.

Hannah's goals dried up after we signed him permanently. And I don't think that has anything to do with the team, just he isn't that good. He scored lots before but that was two levels below, that is a big dip in ability at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 103
grimsby pete
September 19, 2014, 7:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't know what a lot of very players are but the best way to get players to Grimsby is to pay them more than other clubs. It's not the most palatable scenario, but I really believe that you need to spend your way out of this league.

Spend your way out of this league ?

BUT

Would that work ?

Hang on, I will ask the fans of Crawley, Fleetwood and Luton.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 103
headingly_mariner
September 19, 2014, 7:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,372
Gold Stars: 113
Pace and power was what we lacked up top on Tuesday, I imagine he will go straight in tomorrow, there are some right bellends on here, I imagine nobody on this thread has seen him play so until that happens I'll reserve judgement on his ability. He could be good, might be excrement, we don't know yet but Hurst's signings have generally been good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 103
grimsby pete
September 19, 2014, 7:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Hurst's signings have generally been good.

Why have there been so many of them then, ?

So many comings and goings because of where I live and family commitments I can only get to a few games each season lately,

AND

Every time I have to ask Terry  Hall who is who.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 103
cod_head_doug
September 19, 2014, 7:21pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Pace and power was what we lacked up top on Tuesday, I imagine he will go straight in tomorrow, there are some right bellends on here, I imagine nobody on this thread has seen him play so until that happens I'll reserve judgement on his ability. He could be good, might be excrement, we don't know yet but Hurst's signings have generally been good.

I'm with you on this HM, give Hurst a break, lets see what happens in the coming weeks

Bobby Cummings is my hero ! The main reason I am a Cod Head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 103
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2014, 7:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete

Spend your way out of this league ?

BUT

Would that work ?

Hang on, I will ask the fans of Crawley, Fleetwood and Luton.

Cambridge weren't short of a quid last season either.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barnsley striker signs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.