Abdul19
September 20, 2014, 1:21am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Meza

Mikael Antonio Currier (never heard of him)

I remember him being shit but scoring against us a couple of weeks before we signed him!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 103
grimsby pete
September 20, 2014, 10:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,798
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from mariner91

Why is his head in the sand? We've signed 6 players this season and had 4 loan players which isn't that many really, especially compared to previous seasons. There are 10 senior pro's remaining from last season which if you think squads aren't that big down here, that's quite a lot.

I was counting Arnold as a signing because he is here for the season and his contract at Cambridge ends at the end of the season,

Plus we have had Connell so that makes 11, what  I was trying to say is its too many, if you have got the basis of a good side 3 or 4 new faces does not take too long to settle in  unlike if you have 10 or 11 and that's not counting the 3 youth lads that have moved up to the 1st team squad.

My views are not his and they are not yours as you too seem to pick on them from time to time but that's what a forum is all about,

I was just stating that all is not right with the squad at the moment because of Hurst;s inability to sign us a striker that will get us out of this league, The comment about head in the sand is the thinking that everything is ok and it will all turn out ok in the end,

I have nearly always been positive on here but from time to time things have needed to be said and I have said them,

That is not swaying with the general feeling on here but the way I see things at the time, I will always be supportive of the club that I  have loved since 1955 so I think that proves something apart that I am an old git.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 103
headingly_mariner
September 20, 2014, 11:12am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,362
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from grimsby pete

I was counting Arnold as a signing because he is here for the season and his contract at Cambridge ends at the end of the season,

Plus we have had Connell so that makes 11, what  I was trying to say is its too many, if you have got the basis of a good side 3 or 4 new faces does not take too long to settle in  unlike if you have 10 or 11 and that's not counting the 3 youth lads that have moved up to the 1st team squad.

My views are not his and they are not yours as you too seem to pick on them from time to time but that's what a forum is all about,

I was just stating that all is not right with the squad at the moment because of Hurst;s inability to sign us a striker that will get us out of this league, The comment about head in the sand is the thinking that everything is ok and it will all turn out ok in the end,

I have nearly always been positive on here but from time to time things have needed to be said and I have said them,

That is not swaying with the general feeling on here but the way I see things at the time, I will always be supportive of the club that I  have loved since 1955 so I think that proves something apart that I am an old git.

My head isn't in the sand, I have actually seen these players play, the signings he has made are good and are a real improvement on last season, we have a small squad that is at the minute being massively affected by injuries, we clearly don't have the budget to be the runaway team in this league and because of that numerous injuries really damage us. Not being able to sign the striker we want was probably a budget issue, if you're willing to shell out a good transfer fee and a top wage for this level you will get your man. You only have to look at previous league winners who splashed cash on a striker, players like Tubbs, Vardy and gray.

I've not got my head in the sand but I think your view and others is lacking an understanding of the situation we are in, it's easy to blame the manager and it's even easier to do that from a far.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 103
lee65
September 20, 2014, 11:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
I think a lot of the debate (some of which turns in to arguments)on the board about strikers or other issues is borne out of frustration about the last few years, whatevever the rights or wrongs are.  It is obvious to me that 99% of people who take the time to post care very much about GTFC, and as always people will have differing views.
We are where we are, so how can we expect to know many players who sign?, unless they are past it ex league players going the wrong way (and we've had a few of them)
When we beat Crawley 0-1 in our first Conference game with that Lee Peacock free kick I never imagined we would still be down here now  , but we need to stick together in the hope that we will rise again.
I really feel for the younger fans who've never seen much of our better days, you would have to be 25+ to remember some of the great times many of us wax lyrical about on the fishy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 103
grimsby pete
September 20, 2014, 11:34am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,798
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from headingly_mariner

My head isn't in the sand, I have actually seen these players play, the signings he has made are good and are a real improvement on last season, we have a small squad that is at the minute being massively affected by injuries, we clearly don't have the budget to be the runaway team in this league and because of that numerous injuries really damage us. Not being able to sign the striker we want was probably a budget issue, if you're willing to shell out a good transfer fee and a top wage for this level you will get your man. You only have to look at previous league winners who splashed cash on a striker, players like Tubbs, Vardy and gray.

I've not got my head in the sand but I think your view and others is lacking an understanding of the situation we are in, it's easy to blame the manager and it's even easier to do that from a far.  

OK I will except you do not have your head in the sand if you except I do not sway with the general feeling on here.

I will see for myself how good we are soon, I except on paper we have got a better squad but we are still 13 th in the league,

I hope to see you at Dartford, Braintee or a home game of which I will make before Christmas,

I might even buy you a pint in the Imp,

At the end of the day we all want Town to do well.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 103
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 20, 2014, 11:38am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from headingly_mariner

What you say is true apart from the last bit.

The buck stops with the manager who had the chance to add a good striker to his squad but failed to do so despite JF saying the finance was there.

It strikes me that it is a bit pointless spending cash on building a decent squad as he has done and then not being prepared to push the boat out to finish it off. What we have is a squad that might get us somewhere near the play offs. With a good quality striker on top we would have a squad to challenge at the top of the league. Seems false economy doesn't it? Worse than that, it seems like it is already too late to do anything about it because those decent strikers are now tied up in contracts with other clubs, some of which are our direct rivals for promotion.

So yes, I do blame the manager. He has not had good luck with injuries as you say but his biggest problems are of his own making.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 103
Garth
September 20, 2014, 12:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26

What you say is true apart from the last bit.

The buck stops with the manager who had the chance to add a good striker to his squad but failed to do so despite JF saying the finance was there.

It strikes me that it is a bit pointless spending cash on building a decent squad as he has done and then not being prepared to push the boat out to finish it off. What we have is a squad that might get us somewhere near the play offs. With a good quality striker on top we would have a squad to challenge at the top of the league. Seems false economy doesn't it? Worse than that, it seems like it is already too late to do anything about it because those decent strikers are now tied up in contracts with other clubs, some of which are our direct rivals for promotion.

So yes, I do blame the manager. He has not had good luck with injuries as you say but his biggest problems are of his own making.

I agree we have had plenty of time from the seasons end till now to have brought in another striker, I am assuming that PH thought that what we have would be OK with loans where necessary to challenge for the title (at least I hope that was his ambition),  now with injuries it looks like in hindsight he should have been bolder on the transfer front especially having got rid of Cook and Southwell, nothing to do with luck or finances (Wrexam) lets hope that Oates will do the business for us and stay awhile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 103
ackomariner
September 20, 2014, 12:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from grimsby pete

Good on you Pete, keep your opinions and don't be swayed , just as others keep to theirs and won't be swayed.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 103
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 20, 2014, 12:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Garth

I agree we have had plenty of time from the seasons end till now to have brought in another striker, I am assuming that PH thought that what we have would be OK with loans where necessary to challenge for the title (at least I hope that was his ambition),  now with injuries it looks like in hindsight he should have been bolder on the transfer front especially having got rid of Cook and Southwell, nothing to do with luck or finances (Wrexam) lets hope that Oates will do the business for us and stay awhile

I don't know Garth. I do hope Oates is the man to spark us up front but, even if he is, how long could we keep him and what then? We saw what happened in a different position when Pond left. Loans are OK short term and I suspect that's what this is. But then we are back to the 3 strikers again. As manager, PH will certainly know all this and it is down to him to signify his ambitions isn't it?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 103
rancido
September 20, 2014, 2:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,569
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't know what a lot of very players are but the best way to get players to Grimsby is to pay them more than other clubs. It's not the most palatable scenario, but I really believe that you need to spend your way out of this league.

But where does the money come from to " spend your way out of this league"? Ask JF to put more of his money into the club but as a gift ? Find somebody else with " bottomless pockets " to donate their money into the club as a gift? The whole idea of loans to the club either benign or otherwise seems to be a complete no-no with the fans. Yet these same fans at any sign of the club not achieving the levels that they demand, threaten to stop attending until things improve. These fans moan about paying £18 to watch non-league football but fully expect some moneyed person to give tens of thousands of pounds of their own money to the club so that these self same fans can hopefully watch league football. I want success for my club but I am also a realist and realise that wealthy benefactors to prop up a football club at this level in this area is really not going to happen. Clubs like Crawley, Fleetwood and Cambridge have been quoted where men have heavily invested but these have been gambles , as indeed most investment in lower league clubs is . Also the expectations of these clubs may not have been so high as our own with the possible exception of Cambridge who have experienced league status.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barnsley striker signs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.