rancido
September 20, 2014, 2:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't know what a lot of very players are but the best way to get players to Grimsby is to pay them more than other clubs. It's not the most palatable scenario, but I really believe that you need to spend your way out of this league.

But where does the money come from to " spend your way out of this league"? Ask JF to put more of his money into the club but as a gift ? Find somebody else with " bottomless pockets " to donate their money into the club as a gift? The whole idea of loans to the club either benign or otherwise seems to be a complete no-no with the fans. Yet these same fans at any sign of the club not achieving the levels that they demand, threaten to stop attending until things improve. These fans moan about paying £18 to watch non-league football but fully expect some moneyed person to give tens of thousands of pounds of their own money to the club so that these self same fans can hopefully watch league football. I want success for my club but I am also a realist and realise that wealthy benefactors to prop up a football club at this level in this area is really not going to happen. Clubs like Crawley, Fleetwood and Cambridge have been quoted where men have heavily invested but these have been gambles , as indeed most investment in lower league clubs is . Also the expectations of these clubs may not have been so high as our own with the possible exception of Cambridge who have experienced league status.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 103
rancido
September 20, 2014, 2:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96

That has always been true to a degree. That was why at one time the club owned several houses for players and their families. It was why Would and Wilkinson used to find work for some players in the close season. There were and are lots of ways the club has enticed players to come including new kitchens!

I am talking about the recent past, in fact the very recent past when JF was talking about exciting signings. Now I would be the first to admit we have signed some fair players for this year but the key positions up front are still a problem. Even with all 3 strikers fit it is still a problem. Perhaps some players feel this is a graveyard for strikers. After all, even Hannah's goals dried up alarmingly after we signed him.

Paddy Hamilton also found jobs for players during the summer. I think this " work programme " was more down to bolstering players wages during the summer when their earning dropped due to not playing as opposed to " enticing " players to come to GTFC.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 103
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 20, 2014, 2:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

But where does the money come from to " spend your way out of this league"? Ask JF to put more of his money into the club but as a gift ? .

As I understand it, from the statements of JF in the press and on here some weeks ago, we had money for a quality striker signing. Why that fell through only the management  knows, but it obviously did and we have bumbled along with 2 strikers and a good but injury prone stopgap.

The manager and the team and the supporters have been left with a good squad but without the finishing touch that could turn it into a top one. Let's hope Oates goes some way towards filling the vacancy.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 103
Grimal
September 20, 2014, 5:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Apparently scored a few at youth level. Soon knock that idea out of him here.

The signings are what you would expect. Unknown, cheap and possibly cheerful. Might even get a game.

[/b]I am sure Kidderminster are quaking at the thought of Oates as the latest of our big spending signings[b]. But who knows, we could get a point there and everyone will be happy.

I'm saying nothing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 103
grimsby pete
September 20, 2014, 5:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
Great start for the young lad,

Keep it up Rhys .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 103
GyMariner
September 20, 2014, 5:57pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete
After thinking about this, why does Hurst think this lad will do a job for us at 19,

12 games early this year for Stockport on loan and scored 1 goal,

BUT

He does not have the confidence in Walker and Winfarrah enough to give them a run in  the team.

You thought wrong Pete  

Then again that could be his only goal!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 103
grimsby pete
September 20, 2014, 6:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from GyMariner

You thought wrong Pete  

Then again that could be his only goal!!

I am pleased for the lad and I hope it continues,

If he does the business lets hope we can keep him longer,

Then like you said , it might be his only goal,

I hope not.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 103
Maringer
September 20, 2014, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Anybody else hear the interview with Oates on Blunderside? He sounds like the Yorkshireman's Yorkshireman. Apparently, he 'striked' his shot and was pleased to see it went in!

Good start for the lad, though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 103
acko338
September 20, 2014, 6:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
1- 0, Rhys scored, great day for his first appearance, should give him confidence, after they were roughing him up a bit !

As Tondeur said on his commentary, welcome to the Conference, Rhys !!

So, onwards and upwards to the next game!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 103
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 20, 2014, 6:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Grimal

I'm saying nothing.

I will.

Very pleased for the lad. Should give him confidence.

Now what happens? Does the lad start next time? Will Hurst persist with a 9 man deep defence and an outlet ball that Hannah would need a stepladder to reach like we did for over an hour today? Or will he risk Oates and have us play the pressing attacking game he says he wants to see?

Look out for the next exciting instalment.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barnsley striker signs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.