ackomariner
July 1, 2015, 3:13pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Ideally a new stadium built near Freemo say on the old ice house site opposite would aesthetically look superb with the Doc Tower and old dock offices as back drops (imagine the view on the fly over.) Would not be that difficult to provide a exit road off the Ai80 and a rail link already exists. It would be a great gateway and a jewel in Grimsby's crown. Plus would still keep fans away from the main shopping area and town centre. Just one major stumbling block ABP would probably never give us the land or grant planning. Would not be any nimbys to contend with over there and it would certainly look better than that derelict old ice house which needs pulling down it's a bloody right eye sore.

Would just have people fighting to stop the old ice works being pulled down. Going to have people moan wherever gets put forward... Sad but true

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 76
Mrs Doyle
July 1, 2015, 3:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
It is mate especially when these eyesores get the go ahead straight away.How long we been trying 20 odd years?? makes ya sick.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....29-detail/story.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 76
moosey_club
July 1, 2015, 3:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,271
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Ideally a new stadium built near Freemo say on the old ice house site opposite would aesthetically look superb with the Doc Tower and old dock offices as back drops (imagine the view on the fly over.) Would not be that difficult to provide a exit road off the Ai80 and a rail link already exists. It would be a great gateway and a jewel in Grimsby's crown. Plus would still keep fans away from the main shopping area and town centre. Just one major stumbling block ABP would probably never give us the land or grant planning. Would not be any nimbys to contend with over there and it would certainly look better than that derelict old ice house which needs pulling down it's a bloody right eye sore.

Not enough space for a decent sized stadium, land too valuable to ABP .....we have no money of our own to develop. End of.

We are reliant on external funding paying for it, cheap/ gifted land which preferably isnt green fields and in a desirable location where a developer would see a good return for their money, whether from attracting prestigious shopping names or pound per square metre for housing.  PP ticks some of those but not all so it would never be an easy overnight process, G Coates didnt tick them all either so again not an overnight process and ultimately wasted time effort and money forging ahead with it.
Its ok moaning at the council but they are there to uphold the central government's planning laws, Scunny's first move was an easy one, get the football stadium out of the town centre to a remote roundabout and bring in a much needed resource .....their next move again fits in with what is happening in the local plan so easy to do.

There are very few brown field options in the Town to consider to make the planning process an easily supported one, along the Humber Bank perhaps but earmarked for industrial use and no great desirability for partnering with a developer, Freeman St..complications with various land owners involved (largely the mason's) and in a largely residential area however i would think businesses may not object and possibly not the residents either also not ready to roll out any time soon, Western School..large enough plot but surrounded by residential...and my own personal favourite Waltham Airfield...space..remote...major road link..desirable post code..retail opprtunity for ever expanding New Waltham, Humberston, Waltham and villages to the south.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 76
highcliff mariner
July 1, 2015, 3:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from moosey_club

Not enough space for a decent sized stadium, land too valuable to ABP .....we have no money of our own to develop. End of.

We are reliant on external funding paying for it, cheap/ gifted land which preferably isnt green fields and in a desirable location where a developer would see a good return for their money, whether from attracting prestigious shopping names or pound per square metre for housing.  PP ticks some of those but not all so it would never be an easy overnight process, G Coates didnt tick them all either so again not an overnight process and ultimately wasted time effort and money forging ahead with it.
Its ok moaning at the council but they are there to uphold the central government's planning laws, Scunny's first move was an easy one, get the football stadium out of the town centre to a remote roundabout and bring in a much needed resource .....their next move again fits in with what is happening in the local plan so easy to do.

There are very few brown field options in the Town to consider to make the planning process an easily supported one, along the Humber Bank perhaps but earmarked for industrial use and no great desirability for partnering with a developer, Freeman St..complications with various land owners involved (largely the mason's) and in a largely residential area however i would think businesses may not object and possibly not the residents either also not ready to roll out any time soon, Western School..large enough plot but surrounded by residential...and my own personal favourite Waltham Airfield...space..remote...major road link..desirable post code..retail opprtunity for ever expanding New Waltham, Humberston, Waltham and villages to the south.

And only a stones throw for anyone that wants to go to that superb outdoor Kart circuit
UTM
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 76
Wrawby_Mariner
July 1, 2015, 3:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
The land would have to be council owned. What about the Golf Club? I'm sure it probably runs at a loss, whack a supermarket on there, bobs your uncle.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 34 - 76
psgmariner
July 1, 2015, 3:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
If the cheapest option available costs £22 million then I would argue that money would be better spent renovating BP. We could even build one of these AMAZING conference centres which generate millions of pounds a year apparently.

Seriously this idea of moving stadium looks absolutely crackers to me when you see the figures written down.

There is still no explanation as to how any of this money would be raised and unless I have missed it the ownership of the ground has not been clarified either.

I won’t rant on about the out of town site at PP again but suffice to say my initial enthusiasm for moving has all but gone.

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 76
ginnywings
July 1, 2015, 4:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,149
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from psgmariner
If the cheapest option available costs £22 million then I would argue that money would be better spent renovating BP. We could even build one of these AMAZING conference centres which generate millions of pounds a year apparently.

Seriously this idea of moving stadium looks absolutely crackers to me when you see the figures written down.

There is still no explanation as to how any of this money would be raised and unless I have missed it the ownership of the ground has not been clarified either.

I won’t rant on about the out of town site at PP again but suffice to say my initial enthusiasm for moving has all but gone.

But we haven't got 22 million to play with, so renovating BP is a no-no. Even if we had the money, it would be unsuitable. It's past it's sell by date and in the wrong part of Town. The majority of the 22 million would come from enabling developments, otherwise we won't be getting a new ground, full stop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 76
grimps
July 1, 2015, 4:34pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,131
Gold Stars: 46
People are in dream land if they think lots of privately owned buildings and houses are going to be knocked down on the Freeman street area to make a football ground . The council are mischief making by suggesting other useless sites
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 76
MuddyWaters
July 1, 2015, 5:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,266
Gold Stars: 236
More smoke and mirrors I'm afraid. It seems to me that other clubs make things happen while we have to wait around for others to make things happen for us. On the Sunday we played Eastleigh, Radio Hull interviewed Peter Swann (scunny chairman) and it was so matter of fact, land deal is done, plans will go to tender, best bid wins, financial penalties if they're late whilst we talk about Great Coates, Peaks Parkway, the docks, Freemo, Waltham or wherever else
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 76
Nelly GTFC
July 1, 2015, 5:22pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,754
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from grimps
People are in dream land if they think lots of privately owned buildings and houses are going to be knocked down on the Freeman street area to make a football ground . The council are mischief making by suggesting other useless sites
The Council could issue 'Compulsory Purchase Orders', demanding they move to make way for the new stadium.

This is what happend with Tottenhams new 56,000 seater stadium, which were issued in favor of the football stadium project.

I quite like the idea of Freeman Street looking like this, but with a 14,000 seater stadium.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kpggmqx.jpg[/img]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › stadium news

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.