rancido
July 1, 2015, 7:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,592
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
The comments from the nimbys always raises a chuckle to me!

'Why do they need a new ground for 14000 when they only get 4000'.....I'd love fenty etc to turn round and ask why they need a 4 bedroom house when it's only then and their old Doris!

You have family round....we have big clubs every now and again!

I mentioned this scenario to a friend when he said the club didn't need such a big stadium when they only attract 4 - 5,000 fans max. I asked him why he bought a three bedroomed house when he got married as there was only him and his wife. He replied that they planned to have two children and would need the extra rooms in the future. I replied that the club were ambitious and could need the extra space to accommodate fans if we played in the higher divisions. He said " what if you don't get back in the league " to which I replied " what if you can't have children ". He never mentioned it again !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 76
The Yard Dog
July 1, 2015, 8:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,508
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
The land would have to be council owned. What about the Golf Club? I'm sure it probably runs at a loss, [/b]whack a supermarket on there, bobs your uncle[b].

Have not seen the news recently, all the major supermarkets profits are going down.
Look at Bristol Rovers and Sainsbury's situation, no supermarket in going to invest in a new development in this area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 76
The Yard Dog
July 1, 2015, 8:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner
If the cheapest option available costs £22 million then I would argue that money would be better spent [/b]renovating BP.[b] We could even build one of these AMAZING conference centres which generate millions of pounds a year apparently.

Seriously this idea of moving stadium looks absolutely crackers to me when you see the figures written down.

There is still no explanation as to how any of this money would be raised and unless I have missed it the ownership of the ground has not been clarified either.

I won’t rant on about the out of town site at PP again but suffice to say my initial enthusiasm for moving has all but gone.

The council want GTFC to move from BP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 76
louth_in_the_south
July 1, 2015, 11:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 96
The longer this drags on the more I see similarities between ours and wimbledons local council Merton who kept on saying they wanted Wimbledon to have a new ground but kept on putting blocks in place until they were shafted basically .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 76
Trawler
July 2, 2015, 12:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Ideally a new stadium built near Freemo say on the old ice house site opposite would aesthetically look superb with the Doc Tower and old dock offices as back drops (imagine the view on the fly over.) Would not be that difficult to provide a exit road off the Ai80 and a rail link already exists. It would be a great gateway and a jewel in Grimsby's crown. Plus would still keep fans away from the main shopping area and town centre. Just one major stumbling block ABP would probably never give us the land or grant planning. Would not be any nimbys to contend with over there and it would certainly look better than that derelict old ice house which needs pulling down it's a bloody right eye sore.

Ice house/factory site is grade 2 listed. That's never coming down. IF ABP even agreed to lease/sell land to GTFC Fenty is on public record saying that it would cost vastly more than it is worth to fill in the docks and build a sub structure than start from scratch at PP. Docks is a non starter for too many reasons.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 76
KingstonMariner
July 2, 2015, 12:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The longer this drags on the more I see similarities between ours and wimbledons local council Merton who kept on saying they wanted Wimbledon to have a new ground but kept on putting blocks in place until they were shafted basically .

I think they're finally trying to coax them back now after years in the wilderness. God knows where we'd end up if we couldn't find a home in NEL. At least Wimbledon and Barnet had neighbouring urban boroughs to pitch up in.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 76
diehardmariner
July 2, 2015, 12:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,638
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from grimps
People are in dream land if they think lots of privately owned buildings and houses are going to be knocked down on the Freeman street area to make a football ground . The council are mischief making by suggesting other useless sites

Once those flats come down there's very little there at the top end of Freemo at all.   What remains are largely derelict and could be bought cheaply (I would imagine anyway).

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 76
The Yard Dog
July 2, 2015, 1:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
[/b]
Quoted from diehardmariner

Once those flats come down there's very little there at the top end of Freemo at all.   What remains are largely derelict and could be bought cheaply (I would imagine anyway).[b]

How much do think the land and construction would be?  were do town get that sort of money.
You need enough land to develop to attract other investment to help with the cost of building the stadium (housing, food and leisure outlets etc) Freemo is not big enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 76
BIGChris
July 2, 2015, 1:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from The Yard Dog
[b][/b]

How much do think the land and construction would be?  were do town get that sort of money.
You need enough land to develop to attract other investment to help with the cost of building the stadium (housing, food and leisure outlets etc) Freemo is not big enough.

I know very little about this but surely there are huge grants available for regeneration of depressed areas from national and European funds which would apply to something like Freemo that certainly wouldnt to Peaks Parkway????

This could be totally wrong of course but maybe the same level of 'anchor' tennant wouldnt be required at Freemo??
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 76
Dan
July 2, 2015, 1:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Even with the towers coming down, the site at Freeman street isn't big enough. Plus, we 're meant to be moving out of a shithole not into one.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › stadium news

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.