ackomariner
October 5, 2015, 7:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Civvy at last

I'm one of those crosses Barra. Not hiding it. As far as I am aware it signifies that I don't agree with that particular post. Which I don't. Nothing more than that. I am not in the Hust out camp. But If I feel he should go, I won't be swayed by the 'there's no-one else out there' arguement. Him and Shouty were a gamble and relatively unknown.  Let's all hope it doesn't come to it. But fear factor is no reason to keep someone not up to the job.

Good post, and a tick from me  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 140
jonnyboy82
October 5, 2015, 7:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95

I'm one of those crosses Barra. Not hiding it. As far as I am aware it signifies that I don't agree with that particular post. Which I don't. Nothing more than that. I am not in the Hust out camp. But If I feel he should go, I won't be swayed by the 'there's no-one else out there' arguement. Him and Shouty were a gamble and relatively unknown.  Let's all hope it doesn't come to it. But fear factor is no reason to keep someone not up to the job.

Quality post and great point.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 140
ginnywings
October 5, 2015, 7:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,148
Gold Stars: 548

Totally agree, though i didn't give a cross.  

There will come a point where Hurst either gets us promoted or we try someone else. It's inevitable, though we are not at that point yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 140
big al
October 5, 2015, 8:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from barralad

Quite how that post has attracted five red crosses is beyond me. We have several players who chose to stay here despite interest elsewhere this season. There is clear respect throughout the club for the levels of knowledge about players and the game itself that Hurst possesses

I think that quite a few fans see him as a little bit arrogant - I don't mind that about him really. I think he thinks he still has it all under control with 32 games to go. I think he probably has. His inability to recognise when he might have got something wrong doesn't rub me up the wrong way (the same reason I like Wenger) (oh dear wait for all the posts saying I said PH was as good as Wenger) I like the fact that he has confidence and believes he knows best - he's understated but he's the boss. I bet if you asked the players who they'd want in charge he would get a huge vote of confidence.

I am out on the far wing of the Hurst in faction. Look at the table - it's not great but no team has lost fewer games than us and we're a side that we all know can beat anyone - are they firing on all cylinders - no. Does PH seem to play it too safe sometimes - yes. Is this rhetorical questioning style annoying - probably.

but I am still keeping the faith and believe we will get promoted this year. If we don't then I guess he has to go - even I'll agree with that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 140
MuddyWaters
October 5, 2015, 8:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,266
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from big al

I think that quite a few fans see him as a little bit arrogant - I don't mind that about him really. I think he thinks he still has it all under control with 32 games to go. I think he probably has. His inability to recognise when he might have got something wrong doesn't rub me up the wrong way (the same reason I like Wenger) (oh dear wait for all the posts saying I said PH was as good as Wenger) I like the fact that he has confidence and believes he knows best - he's understated but he's the boss. I bet if you asked the players who they'd want in charge he would get a huge vote of confidence.

I am out on the far wing of the Hurst in faction. Look at the table - it's not great but no team has lost fewer games than us and we're a side that we all know can beat anyone - are they firing on all cylinders - no. Does PH seem to play it too safe sometimes - yes. Is this rhetorical questioning style annoying - probably.

but I am still keeping the faith and believe we will get promoted this year. If we don't then I guess he has to go - even I'll agree with that.

And whilst I'm a Hurst out if this negative team selection/playing for draws/dropping leading scorers/over-respecting the opposition continues, I have total respect for the points you've made. However 5 wins at this stage of the season is not good enough for a team with our aspirations that were fired up by the fund-raising, the Wembley injustice and pre-season.

I think the problem is a mindset - PH doesn't like not keeping clean sheets - as he was a defender, I can understand his mentality. However, the frustration lies with the attacking options he chooses not to use, the substitutions he seems to delay and the regular slow starts we seem to make to each 45 minutes.

Am I saying I want him gone, probably not. I thought that Wembley and the lead up to it bought him another go at it but there has to come a time when someone decides that he's had enough chances if he is not ultimately successful. As Barra has said earlier if the opposition scores 2, I'll be happy if we score 3 - and I believe that this group of players is capable of playing that way.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 140
big al
October 5, 2015, 8:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And whilst I'm a Hurst out if this negative team selection/playing for draws/dropping leading scorers/over-respecting the opposition continues, I have total respect for the points you've made. However 5 wins at this stage of the season is not good enough for a team with our aspirations that were fired up by the fund-raising, the Wembley injustice and pre-season.

I think the problem is a mindset - PH doesn't like not keeping clean sheets - as he was a defender, I can understand his mentality. However, the frustration lies with the attacking options he chooses not to use, the substitutions he seems to delay and the regular slow starts we seem to make to each 45 minutes.

Am I saying I want him gone, probably not. I thought that Wembley and the lead up to it bought him another go at it but there has to come a time when someone decides that he's had enough chances if he is not ultimately successful. As Barra has said earlier if the opposition scores 2, I'll be happy if we score 3 - and I believe that this group of players is capable of playing that way.

It's good to see this kind of debate on the fishy - I agree with an awful lot of your post. He is too safe - at Chester he brought on JPP 10/15 minutes too late - if he'd been on earlier we would have won that game. Think we all want the same thing. Can't say I understand him not playing our strikers either - like Bogle but think Amond is an even more potent and constant threat who can really get under a defences skin.

Think PH just needs to let go a bit more and hand it over to the players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 140
kingster72
October 5, 2015, 9:03pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Quoted from easypeersy
Soon we will all be arguing about whether or not we should be playing in the FA Trophy.
Stop this bickering!
Go to the matches and support the Mighty Mariners!
Don't moan when things go wrong!
Watch us climb the table.

Simple!

Bickering and negativity feeds back to the club, the players, the management.
It is bad in so many ways!

The majority of fans do go to games, 5000 home fans on Saturday is tremendous!  What will help us climb the table is wins, what will stop the bickering is wins.  When things go wrong, we have absolutely every right to moan.  The fans built up so much positivity in the summer, when it could have been all gloom, PH and Fenty are the only ones who bring the negativity, not us fans!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 140
barralad
October 5, 2015, 11:05pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126

Fair play However I would point out that that argument only formed part of the post. For me that is subjective at the very least. We don't know what is out there because we aren't looking. The bit I was thinking about (as I thought I'd expressed in my reply) was the knowledge the guy has of the game and the respect he has of the professionals working under him. For both of those there is compelling evidence. Perhaps he should have written two posts.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 140
Mrs Doyle
October 6, 2015, 3:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
What the hell sort of message does "We don't know what is out there because we aren't looking." send to Hurst and the players?
Whilst he is in charge at least give him and the team your support.

The players obviously respect the manager who I would argue are a much tighter unit than we have seen for years.

This probably is the last season he will get to take us up but a bit of support would be nice.

We are in a good position just 7 points adrift at this stage going into winter is GOOD in my opinion.

Stands by for a massive reaction if we don't win tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 140
oldun
October 6, 2015, 7:46am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Grim74
We lose tomorrow the axe must fall, Hurst is the conference equivalent to Rogers he talks a good game and comes across as if he knows what he's doing but without success, time for a new manager with fresh ideas drawing closer.

An opinion but nonsense none the less. As for comparing with Rodgers, there none.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 140
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fail to beat Gateshead

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.