grimsby pete
October 9, 2015, 11:13am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Maringer
Tomlinson last season: 14 goals in 46 appearances for a bottom half team.

That's a bit better than 1 in every 6 games. Could and perhaps should have had a couple for us by now but generally, he's not played badly. If he can regain his Lincoln form, all the better. I'm guessing his loan spell will perhaps be extended?

Surprised nobody has picked you up on this Maringer,

14 goals in 46 games is nearer 1 in 3,

If he could do that for us I would be pleased.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
Maringer
October 9, 2015, 11:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Personally, I think Arnold tends to do his best work when running towards the goal from just inside the opposition half. If he was to play through the middle, it might negate this threat as he would need to be playing with his back to goal a lot of the time.

On the other hand, I think he could certainly do a job in 'the hole' behind a front two. This would require either a 3-4-1-2 or 4-3-1-2 formation, however. As noted in the past, I don't think our midfield options are quick or mobile enough to play with just 3 in the middle.

One formation I haven't seen us try is 3-5-2. With Toto, Gowling and Pearson, I think we'd have the strength and pace to play three at the back, but the question then is how would Robertson do in a left midfield/wing-back role? Not sure he has enough pace for this though he has no problems getting up in advanced areas. East could do the job on the right as, I suppose, could Tait which would leave East to play on the left. I do think that it helps when wing-backs play on their stronger side, however, so we might be imbalanced with this formation.

I doubt we'll ever see it but it would be interesting to see how such a formation worked out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
Maringer
October 9, 2015, 11:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from grimsby pete

Surprised nobody has picked you up on this Maringer,

14 goals in 46 games is nearer 1 in 3,

If he could do that for us I would be pleased.

Pleased? I'd be bloody delighted!  

Will be really interesting to see which players Hurst picks for Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
ginnywings
October 9, 2015, 12:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
I wonder. Even though I am keen to see Bogle justify his fee and I think Amond is the best finisher we have, I wonder if sometime it will be in Hurst's mind to use Arnold more as a central striker. He has looked at the idea briefly before.

From Hurst's point of view it solves one of his greatest desires, a deep defence with a very quick striker as an outlet playing alongside a more conventional striker. That seems to me to fit the Hurst mantra perfectly.

From the supporters viewpoint we have seen this counter-attack system before a few times. Slade used it with Reddy, Tony Ford also spent a successful season or so as a central striker and before that McMenemy used Stuart Brace in more or less the same role. All scored a lot of goals by using the space behind the defence. But you do need a Dave Boylen type player to put the ball in the right place for them.

Not saying this would be my preference but I bet the thought has crossed Hurst's mind especially after Tuesday.

Think this could appeal to Hurst as he can then get Mackreth into the side for his tracking back, although Arnold did that too on Tuesday. He was seemingly everywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
HertsGTFC
October 9, 2015, 9:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I thought I'd enter into this hot topic....

At the moment we have four good strikers on our books and two midfielders in Arnold and Monkhouse who can play in more advanced positions and score goals.

Barely since the days of Rees and Woods or back to Wilkinson and Lund can I remember having this sort of depth in the squad (relative to our league position).  Hurst has to take a lot of credit.  Good strikers are hard to get and last season it took until the second half of the season to get even remotely near this position - Alan Connell anyone?

At the moment we are second highest scorers in the league so Hurst and the players must be doing something right.

So what two should he have chosen last night.

He can choose from:

Pittman - together with Amond, probably the most skilful forward we have.  Injury prone so unlikely to be available all season but when fully fit and in form, why should he be dropped?  I also think JPP plays well alongside a big nuisance striker like The Shop, Ollie and Tomlinson.

Amond - has been injured, back to full fitness but is he ready to play from the start.  Why risk it when Pittman is fit and in form?

Bogle - we have to remember Bogle is a 3 year investment to the club, has loads of promise but new to professional football, full time training and has been a bit vulnerable to injury early in the season.  Hurst always said he would ease him into things.  Against some of the more 'knowing' teams in the league he may benefit from being rested and saved for the lesser matches to start with.

Tomlinson - clearly not everyone's cup of tea but he is a striker with a decent track record at this level, and with the experience to deal with a bit of pressure.  He has been playing alongside Pittman in matches where we have had some decent results.

I imagine it wasn't a slam dunk decision for Hurst last night but maybe having already decided to freshen up the right side of the pitch he decided for continuity up front.  To blast him every time he doesn't play Amond and Bogle seems crazy to me.  He has to plot success over 46 and maybe 49 league games.  He needs 4 fit and hungry strikers for all those games and it seems to me that he is managing his resources sensibly.

And.........Nathan could do a job up there if we where pushed and also apparently Monkhouse has player CF previously.

Good post this and one that has recognised that in the past we have not scored enough.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
LondonMariner43
October 13, 2015, 9:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,953
Gold Stars: 64
I thought I'd enter into this hot topic....

At the moment we have four good strikers on our books and two midfielders in Arnold and Monkhouse who can play in more advanced positions and score goals.

Barely since the days of Rees and Woods or back to Wilkinson and Lund can I remember having this sort of depth in the squad (relative to our league position).  Hurst has to take a lot of credit.  Good strikers are hard to get and last season it took until the second half of the season to get even remotely near this position - Alan Connell anyone?

At the moment we are second highest scorers in the league so Hurst and the players must be doing something right.

So what two should he have chosen last night.

He can choose from:

Pittman - together with Amond, probably the most skilful forward we have.  Injury prone so unlikely to be available all season but when fully fit and in form, why should he be dropped?  I also think JPP plays well alongside a big nuisance striker like The Shop, Ollie and Tomlinson.

Amond - has been injured, back to full fitness but is he ready to play from the start.  Why risk it when Pittman is fit and in form?

Bogle - we have to remember Bogle is a 3 year investment to the club, has loads of promise but new to professional football, full time training and has been a bit vulnerable to injury early in the season.  Hurst always said he would ease him into things.  Against some of the more 'knowing' teams in the league he may benefit from being rested and saved for the lesser matches to start with.

Tomlinson - clearly not everyone's cup of tea but he is a striker with a decent track record at this level, and with the experience to deal with a bit of pressure.  He has been playing alongside Pittman in matches where we have had some decent results.

I imagine it wasn't a slam dunk decision for Hurst last night but maybe having already decided to freshen up the right side of the pitch he decided for continuity up front.  To blast him every time he doesn't play Amond and Bogle seems crazy to me.  He has to plot success over 46 and maybe 49 league games.  He needs 4 fit and hungry strikers for all those games and it seems to me that he is managing his resources sensibly.

I am sure tonight's result will be prompting lots of 'that's why Amond/ Bogle should have been playing thread' (in fact there is one already!) but lets remember, Amond was injured and JPP was knocking in goals.  Amond has had to wait his time to get back in the team and maybe that has made him extra hungry to prove himself.  Now he is in the team and when JPP gets back to full fitness, he will have to wait his turn and be pushing hard in training to get picked.  That is the benefit of having several good strikers in the squad; keep them fresh, keep them hungry.  Over the course of the season, we need that.  Good management I say.

Now I'd better put my tin hat on...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
Squinter
October 13, 2015, 9:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
I agree London, competition for places is a good thing.  The squad that PH has built up this season has 17 / 18 first team players.  They all have to take their chance when they get it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
barralad
October 13, 2015, 10:59pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126

I am sure tonight's result will be prompting lots of 'that's why Amond/ Bogle should have been playing thread' (in fact there is one already!) but lets remember, Amond was injured and JPP was knocking in goals.  Amond has had to wait his time to get back in the team and maybe that has made him extra hungry to prove himself.  Now he is in the team and when JPP gets back to full fitness, he will have to wait his turn and be pushing hard in training to get picked.  That is the benefit of having several good strikers in the squad; keep them fresh, keep them hungry.  Over the course of the season, we need that.  Good management I say.

Now I'd better put my tin hat on...

I think the difference is this year we are blessed with good players for most positions. Obviously I don't know but I guess Hurst sees that as a means by which he can ensure that players don't rest on their laurels. If, and I can see no reason at all why it wouldn't be the case, Amond's attitude as described in his interview is typical of the whole squad then we are in for some pretty special times.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Strikers - a different perspective

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.