Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January Conference Loans and Signings (Merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 225 Guests

January Conference Loans and Signings (Merged)

This thread currently has 25,976 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 4, 2016, 11:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from forza ivano

Have to say he wasn't terribly impressive at Solihull - looked like a latter day Danny Boshell. probably needs more time than he's given at div1,2 & conference level. would prob be okay for championship if he was good enough, but otherwise conference south; i got the feeling he would be easily overrun at our level

That would be my worry about him. That he won't be used to limited time and space in this league. We seem to have a very high failure rate with ball playing centre mids.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 138
Trawler
January 4, 2016, 11:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Clay was almost universally derided on arrival but won over many once a few games were under his belt. In a similar vein I don't think Henderson has had enough game time for us to judge his ability. We can't expect every new arrival to hit the ground running.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 138
acko338
January 4, 2016, 11:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
Wasn't Conor H just originally signed as cover, in case of injuries while he also got fit from not playing regularly ?

Was rated highly when younger, but was injury prone at previous clubs - maybe another JPP where good games are intermittent with with niggly injuries?

Maybe a low cost signing as cover only?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 138
MuddyWaters
January 4, 2016, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,266
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from acko338
Wasn't Conor H just originally signed as cover, in case of injuries while he also got fit from not playing regularly ?

Was rated highly when younger, but was injury prone at previous clubs - maybe another JPP where good games are intermittent with with niggly injuries?

Maybe a low cost signing as cover only?

Do we need cover? We already have Scott Brown, Josh Venney and Harry Clifton as well as Danny East who can (allegedly) play there.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 138
Rik e B
January 4, 2016, 12:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
We need game changers; think Pringle and Todd albeit a bit lower level now of course. Connor Townsend has been of that ilk -leagues above and if we could pull a couple of rabbits out hats it would of course be a massive boost. It's just finding them though of course or top (top?) clubs willing to let out their youngsters to the supposed 'blood and thunder' of the Conference.

The thing is the old stereotype of this division is way off and I think a lot of young footballers could grow their game at the higher clubs rather than the broken legs and bruisements the higher echelons fear would result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 138
Rik e B
January 4, 2016, 12:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
The Danny Boshell comparison worries me somewhat, I never want to see bambi-on-ice-esque Nancy boys* prancing about donned in the famous black and white stripes ever again.

But I'll not be quick to pigeonhole especially as not even seen with my own eyes.

You've gotta have to steel to go with the skill however; for too long our central midfield has been comparitevely weak and you've got to impose your will to win the right to play. As we all know too well.

*apologies for the non P.C. speach was just quickest way to make point!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 138
arryarryarry
January 4, 2016, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 116
Agree with The OC and ReB, we need players better than what we have at this stage of the season, no point in signing anyone to make up the numbers.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 138
MuddyWaters
January 4, 2016, 1:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,266
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Rik e B
The Danny Boshell comparison worries me somewhat, I never want to see bambi-on-ice-esque Nancy boys* prancing about donned in the famous black and white stripes ever again.

But I'll not be quick to pigeonhole especially as not even seen with my own eyes.

You've gotta have to steel to go with the skill however; for too long our central midfield has been comparitevely weak and you've got to impose your will to win the right to play. As we all know too well.

*apologies for the non P.C. speach was just quickest way to make point!

The January window has to be about players who are going to make an impact on your first choice eleven. Signing players for cover is tantamount to saying they aren't good enough.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 138
ginnywings
January 4, 2016, 1:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The January window has to be about players who are going to make an impact on your first choice eleven. Signing players for cover is tantamount to saying they aren't good enough.

Hopefully, we sign players that are good enough to go straight in the side and some of the current first eleven can be the cover. We do have a bare bones squad IMO. Could do with a maverick Neilson type who can come on and go past people maybe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 138
barrattstandman
January 4, 2016, 2:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +482
Gold Stars: 17
Nothing wrong with Bambi on ice. Mark Lever was called Bambi by his team mates
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 138
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January Conference Loans and Signings (Merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.