rancido
February 7, 2016, 12:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ackomariner

Said this about six weeks ago and got slated, he's now playing more with his back to goal and its not his game. So yeah, agree with your comment LJL mk2

So the logical conclusion to that is that Solihull Moors have better attacking coach staff than us!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 53
ackomariner
February 7, 2016, 12:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from rancido

So the logical conclusion to that is that Solihull Moors have better attacking coach staff than us!

Why have we got an attacking coach? Thought they were all defenders in their playing days.

So you don't know....they might have

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
oldun
February 7, 2016, 12:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I tend to agree his game has changed somewhat. Watching videos of him scoring for Solihull and in his early days here he was generally given the ball in a bit of space facing the goal and looked confident. However other aspects of his game were lacking. Clearly someone is trying to improve his overall contribution by asking him to work harder and show for the ball and play other players in. He might get better at this which would be good, but I think it is affecting his scoring ability. On a positive note they are obviously working on his heading too and his goal a couple of weeks back was excellent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
Davec
February 7, 2016, 12:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind his all round game is improving but that is coming at a cost, his goals
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
HertsGTFC
February 7, 2016, 2:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
This may not be a popular view, so i shall pose it as a question.

Do we have the coaching staff to turn a raw young striker into the finished article? If he is getting the right coaching, then it's not showing much and his goal scoring has got worse the longer he's been here. His first goal for Town, he calmly passed the ball into the net and brought a smile to my face. I even commented on it in my just back thread. The sign of a good finisher is calmness in those situations. Now he is trying to bust the net and the top corner curler hit hard seems to be his modus operandi of late, with not much success. Is his natural scoring instinct being stymied by Hurst trying to turn him into LJL mk 2?

He looked all over the place to me yesterday.

Possibly not but I think he would need to move to a bigger club with a better squad for him to become what he could be. Someone once told me that "you become a better player when you play with better players" this may or may not be true but he does look better when partnered by Podge.

Omar has work rate, strength, pace and as we have seen at times some skill so the potential is there. I think we will have sold him (3 year deal remember) with the proceeds providing the budget for more bodies before we see him perform to his capabilities week in week out.

We are scoring goals 36% in the league have come from Podge and 19% from Omar. He is in "double digit" with 11 so with 17 games to go he could possibly finish between 15 & 20 which considering the move up a level and from part time to full time could be argued is a good first season. It has to be said in real terms moving from The National League North to the top of our league is a relatively big jump.

Don't think the goal scoring has been the issue this term as much as,

1. Starting the season with a keeper who had no real pre season
2. Then when he got in he was mentally miles away from where he needed to be.
3. It took us until early October to be able to deal with high balls into the box, not sure we are there yet TBH
4 , We concede goals from unmarked opposition players at set pieces. Lots of time where we have cleared balls to unmarked players who score against us.
5. We stick religiously to 4 - 4 - 2 when we have enough experience and talent to change shape if required.

And I suspect the lack of additions in January may cost us in one way or another.

What I do know is that whatever progress Omar does make he will need to do it soon as next year if we don't go up we may need to rely on him even more as I would question the likelihood of Podge and others re-signing for another year in this league.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
ginnywings
February 7, 2016, 3:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,120
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from rancido

Or he was being marked by defenders with less ability maybe.

I'm not saying what is happening is wrong per se and eventually it could all click and he will be a better all round player but with goals as well. At the moment he is definitely struggling to find the net consistently like he did at the start of the season. He looks like he doesn't know what he is supposed to be doing to me and most of his efforts are coming from long range. He isn't being Johnny on the spot much lately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
Tom13
February 7, 2016, 7:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from ginnywings
This may not be a popular view, so i shall pose it as a question.

Do we have the coaching staff to turn a raw young striker into the finished article? If he is getting the right coaching, then it's not showing much and his goal scoring has got worse the longer he's been here. His first goal for Town, he calmly passed the ball into the net and brought a smile to my face. I even commented on it in my just back thread. The sign of a good finisher is calmness in those situations. Now he is trying to bust the net and the top corner curler hit hard seems to be his modus operandi of late, with not much success. Is his natural scoring instinct being stymied by Hurst trying to turn him into LJL mk 2?

He looked all over the place to me yesterday.

Hurst did turn LJL from someone who had scored about 3 career goals into a 20 goal a season striker last year though, and got him a move back into the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
LongEatonMariner
February 7, 2016, 8:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Tom13

Hurst did turn LJL from someone who had scored about 3 career goals into a 20 goal a season striker last year though, and got him a move back into the league.

This. He transformed LJL from a dodgy winger to a 20 goal striker poached by a league club. He seems to have done alright with Podge so far, and in my opinion Omar is developing just fine.

Mind you Hurst couldn't stop Hannah from running offside or Cook from eating pies so he's not perfect!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
ginnywings
February 7, 2016, 9:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,120
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Tom13

I think 20 goal a season striker is stretching it a bit but i agree that he did develop well in his time here and my thoughts were more questions than statements. I'm not criticising as such and Bogle may well go on to perfect his all round game but at the moment, his learning curve seems to be curtailing his goalscoring. I genuinely feel we need someone else who can play alongside Podge and take the burden off him a bit while he progresses. We need that target man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
Maringer
February 7, 2016, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Well, Bogle's problem of late is that he's not hitting the target. Just one real effort I can remember on Saturday which he 'shaped' well enough but put it high and wide. If you don't hit the target, you aren't going to score.

That said, I'm not going to criticise him too much for Saturday as the whole team was awful and the chances weren't exactly coming thick and fast for the strikers.

Hopefully, he can get back into some form before long and, the last week aside, he had looked much improved in recent games. If he can get to 20 goals this season, it would be a decent return.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.