6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Tom13
February 7, 2016, 9:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from ginnywings

I think 20 goal a season striker is stretching it a bit but i agree that he did develop well in his time here and my thoughts were more questions than statements. I'm not criticising as such and Bogle may well go on to perfect his all round game but at the moment, his learning curve seems to be curtailing his goalscoring. I genuinely feel we need someone else who can play alongside Podge and take the burden off him a bit while he progresses. We need that target man.

He did get 20 last season though, granted he probably won't this year and never has before but Hurst did get 20 from him last year.

Bogle was always going to struggle to match the tallies he'd previously reached this year IMO, for someone as young and raw as him to get 30 goals again this season a division above with much more expectation on his shoulders was a big ask. He still has a solid record this season, despite some iffy performances (none less than you'd expect from a young player mind).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 53
HertsGTFC
February 7, 2016, 10:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,967
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

I think 20 goal a season striker is stretching it a bit but i agree that he did develop well in his time here and my thoughts were more questions than statements. I'm not criticising as such and Bogle may well go on to perfect his all round game but at the moment, his learning curve seems to be curtailing his goalscoring. I genuinely feel we need someone else who can play alongside Podge and take the burden off him a bit while he progresses. We need that target man.

He'll only progress if he is playing so why bring someone else in? He needs to go through his "learning curve" so he can start scoring on a regular basis  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 53
arryarryarry
February 7, 2016, 11:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He'll only progress if he is playing so why bring someone else in? He needs to go through his "learning curve" so he can start scoring on a regular basis  

Whilst you are probably right, we don't have time to bring players on we need them to do it right now or we face yet another year in this crap League.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 53
diehardmariner
February 8, 2016, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,638
Gold Stars: 539
Back to the game, absolutely dreadful.  Couldn't wait for it to be over.  

Pretty much well summed up by previous posts but just my thoughts on a few things:

Bogle and Pittman doesn't work as a pairing.  They were either miles apart or stood on each others toes.  Wasn't a reflection how they played as individuals but they just don't click.

Pearson is lacking game-time.  He wasn't great but he wasn't awful, what he does look like is a guy who hasn't played a great amount of football in recent months.  Any player at any level will look rusty when getting limited game time.  

Norwood is VERY rusty.  First 30 minutes he got a bit of a run around from the opposition winger but slowly got better and more comfortable.  Very pleased his debut was in this game rather than a league one.  

Midfield - Didn't look a diamond to me, more of a 4-3-1-2 with Nolan and Clay as the wider of the midfield two.  Marshall in the hole doesn't really work for me either.  He's at his best with grass to run ahead of him, not working in short spaces and angles.  He was completely anonymous for the first half, like playing with ten men, but came into the game as H&W tired.  Of those available I would have thought Nolan would have been better suited to a free role behind the attack, maybe bringing Clifton into the midfield 3 if Hurst really wanted to stick with that system.

Henderson continues to be a bit of an enigma for me.  He coasted through large parts of the game without really doing anything.  For a guy who has such a high pedigree and with his obvious talents, the least you would expect is him to shine against a struggling Conference South side.  Sadly, he didn't.  Nolan looks far, far the better bet moving forward and you can see why Hurst was so pleased to get him on board.  I think he could be a massive player for us in the run-in.  

Final point - the weather was absolutely shocking and ruined any hope of the game as a spectacle.  Couldn't play it on the floor as the pitch looked sodden in places, couldn't play it in the air as the wind just took control.  Don't know how much you can take from games like that.  We ground out a result and 3-0 was a really unfair score, they just collapsed the last five minutes.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.