11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
May 24, 2016, 5:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Don't know if anybody else noticed on Sunday, but Toto looked to have a face like a wet week before kick-off. Not sure what that might or might not relate to, but he certainly didn't appear to be overly happy!

Hope he stays though because I think he's improved in general this season and his pace and strength will always be an asset, especially if he cuts out most of the errors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 108
Rodley Mariner
May 24, 2016, 5:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
In comparison to most I thought Toto had a very good game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 108
Hertsmariner
May 24, 2016, 5:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
Yes, it's the end of a chapter and there's a clear need for a step up on quality to mount any sort of a challenge in League 2. I said to a friend of mine a few weeks ago that wherever we ended the season, we'd need a fundamental restructuring of the squad. So much of the season after Christmas (and the departure of Townsend), was turgid and lacking in entertainment value. Cheltenham showed a cohesiveness and consistency which no other team in the division could match and they go up as worthy champions. Frankly, though, I thought that the National League overall was poor this year and yet we were still a trifle fortunate to get to the final of the play-offs, even though we were too good for FGR on the day, not least with the help of our passionate supporters. But the inconsistency was a thread which ran through our later performances and now we need better players to provide that extra consistency and quality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 108
Stew0_0
May 24, 2016, 5:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 35
Exactly the list I had in mind. Good choices. Real shame about nolan though as really wanted him to stay but we could be looking at a new centre midfield partnership or 3 next season with maybe Dis being used more sparingly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 108
oldun
May 24, 2016, 5:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
In comparison to most I thought Toto had a very good game.

So did I. His pace and strength are vital and although he does the odd rash thing, his decision making has improved. Still young and has a lot to offer. Plenty of teams would like a player of his type. Hope he stays though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 108
Garth
May 24, 2016, 6:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from GrimRob
Glad to see we're starting from a small core of players. It's a big step up, thought PH might keep a few more of "his" players to be honest. It's refreshing to see he has been ruthless. I've a feeling we may regret letting Clay go in a few years, on the other hand we don't know who he is talking to.

I liked Clay but he had one glaring weakness, he just could not finish when through on goal, I hope he finds another club soon, thanks for the memory!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 108
OllieGTFC
May 24, 2016, 6:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
If Hursty lets this many players go then he must have them already lined up and ready to sign

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 108
Bigdog
May 24, 2016, 6:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
On the whole very pleased with what Hurst has done. Certainly surprised me how ruthless he has been. Would have liked to see Clay stay but I'm sure we will replace him with a player or two with even better physical attributes and definitely better ball skills and vision. Could he have been retained as a "budget balancer"?

Not sure of spending budget on Disley, great servant that he has been to the club. He struggled last season physically and I can't see it getting any easier for him in League Two at 35. Maybe an impact sub?. A wise head to settle things down seeing out a game when the opposition's tired? Certainly don't want the team to be built around him next season.

Expect Amond to go and possibly Nsiala. I'd be more sorry to see Toto go out of the two as I think he's better equipped physically and pace wise for the step up than Podge.

Look forward to the new signings over the next few weeks and will be interested to see how Hurst sets up his team with half a new squad..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 108
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 24, 2016, 6:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It's worth remembering that only four players are actually signed up on contract already.

The other seven have only been offered terms. We don't know what those terms are and how they will compare with offers from other clubs which they can take up like Nolan.

It will be some time before that situation becomes clear and it isn't a given that Amond and the others will all sign.

The side for the first game in L2 will bear no comparison with the side that won the play off final and this close season will be a lot busier than last year.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 108
Mariner_09
May 24, 2016, 6:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
You'd expect Dis to sign first and then Tait and Arnold, I think we'll keep Podge, I'm more worried about Toto.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 108
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list announced

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.