Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › New website and badge
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 22 Guests

New website and badge

This thread currently has 26,572 views. Print
27 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
January 2, 2022, 7:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,114
Gold Stars: 97
I have always thought that our badge is the best out there. Personally I think the subtle change of adding the flag is terrible, a real misstep.

I’m not gonna lose my sh#t over this, but it was a strange move to go ahead and do this without telling everyone beforehand. What a strange development. Our club really is confusing me nowadays.

Anyway, 3 points tomorrow, however unlikely, is all we really want.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 267
Stranger in the Park
January 2, 2022, 8:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -187
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from arryarryarry

That's the way I view it, it looks like someone has forgotten to make the banner a separate part of the badge. Looks a bit  naff.

Also just viewing the new website on my phone there doesn't seem a simple way to reject all cookies like most sites. I can't be arsed to visit sites that don't give you that option.

For this reason alone, I did not go on the site and will not until there are options. Also, I thought the tone of the release notice posted to announce the new site to be a bit too full of "corporate speak". I have a pet hate of being talked down to and this is how I perceived the notice and totally lacking in any warming towards the new site. As for the badge changes,I'm indifferent but again, options would have been more desirable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 267
denni266
January 2, 2022, 8:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Cant fault the web site or the badge apart from the flag. Nothing wrong with having one , but not there,, Think the crew would have problems with it being there    It should have been on the stern
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 267
Poojah
January 2, 2022, 9:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
As club brand fúck ups go, this isn’t that high up on the list for me. This isn’t Vincent Tan changing Cardiff’s home colours to red, Leeds United’s shambolic badge unveiling of a couple of years ago or Liverpool’s partnership with Dunkin’ Donuts, in which a ‘reimagined’ version of the Liverpool crest was published with the Hillsborough flames replaced with mocha-chocca-frappe-latte’s - that one really upset the locals, and understandably so.

This was probably a tiny bit tactless on the club’s part, but most likely borne out of well meaning enthusiasm rather than any premeditated oversight of fan opinions. The club has held its hands up, apologised and offered to rectify the situation. I personally feel we can move on from that.

There was perhaps a touch of naivety about the website launch, too. For anyone who’s been in any way involved in things like this over the years, you’ll probably know it’s not a great idea to launch something immediately after the festive period. Things always go to the wire, and Christmas isn’t particularly a time when people want to be putting in a string of all-nighters to get the job done in time.

As such, the site went live with a fair few rough edges and technical misgivings, and if I’m honest, felt a little below par given JS’ impeccable background in the digital world. All addressable, but nonetheless a little short of expectations as someone who is very well versed with how well Simply Business do things.

But there’s a point worth remembering here; Simply Business is a much larger organisation than Town, with revenues something like 20x that of ours. With that comes bigger budgets and access to a much greater pool of strategic, commercial and marketing talent.

And perhaps that’s a lesson that JS has to learn the hard way. Toto, we’re not in London anymore.

This is going to be a lot more rough and tumble than he’s been used to in recent times. He’s gonna have to scrap a bit, and I’ve no doubt he will. People often ask the question of how a Pep or Klopp would do managing at Stevenage or Barrow for instance, and there are elements of that at play here I think. The boardroom of an established fintech company in the capital is a very different place to the boardroom at BP, even accounting for our brand new tea and coffee making facilities.

So all in all, perhaps some mistakes were made here but ones which are, ultimately, small beer. And the positives I’d take are the lessons learned; yes, by the club themselves but also the fans. The new owners may well be polished and successful business people, but they are also learning on the job here - a job unlike anything they’ll have done before.

Mistakes will be made over the course of the next few months, and when they are I think it’s important that they are reasonably and constructively called out in the knowledge that this is all just part of the process. A process that may feel like it’s taking longer than many would like, but that’s more a case of circumstance brought about through inept stewardship in the years preceding May 2021.

Dust down and move on…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 267
gtfc98
January 2, 2022, 9:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Hagrid
Gtfcjacko- an idiot on twitter

Drunken rants and tweets to the owners and debbie cook about the badge. Embarrasing

He's a complete plonker.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 267
GibMariner
January 3, 2022, 6:31am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -964
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

You do realise the significance of the number 1878 don't you and that putting it on a flag on the badge isn't advertising a "holding company" and is not just an ego trip.

😂😂
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 267
Zero_as_a_limit
January 3, 2022, 8:17am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +110
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

You do realise the significance of the number 1878 don't you and that putting it on a flag on the badge isn't advertising a "holding company" and is not just an ego trip.

In the 143 years since the club was founded it has never included the year it was founded (1878 ) on its badge.
The new owners decided to use 1878 as the name of the vehicle they used to acquire the club.
The new owners then instructed a graphic designer to change the club's badge to accomodate an oversized flag that says '1878'.
To me this looks like the new owners wanting to put 'their' stamp on the club in the most visible way possible.

My bigger concern is that this is a 'dead cat' to distract people from what is likely to be an underwhelming January transfer window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 267
aldi_01
January 3, 2022, 8:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Storm in a tea cup really. No football to moan about so naturally, club do something, some fans don’t like it, complete over reaction…all predictable really.

Club apologises, something were certainly not used to, many of those fans wetting their knickers are left confused…

Funny all round, and in truth, I reckon had they just slipped it out, some of those morons proper losing their minds probably wouldn’t have noticed for a while.

Either way, I personally didn’t think the changes were too bad, our badge always seemed too big and busy, I much preferred the old badge with the yellow, each to their own though.

The reaction of some has been hilarious though…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 267
Ipswin
January 3, 2022, 8:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
It it ain't broke don't fit it

Rather a lot of other problems first I would have thought

How much longer we have to make the league table so we still appear to be in the top half for example!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 267
Roast Em Bobby
January 3, 2022, 9:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,728
Gold Stars: 44
The re-shaping of the badge to keep it proportional when scaled up or down in size is very good, I think. However, I don't understand how they can say that the badge will work at all sizes/scales when it's nearly impossible to read the 1878 part on the flag unless it's a large sized version or you really zoom in.

Red on black is not the best in terms of contrast anyway, so sticking in a tiny 1878 makes it even worse - I'm suprised a designer from Apple would go with this to be honest. If they wanted to incorporate 1878 somewhere (which I do think is a good thing to do, as it displays our heritage) then it at least needs to be readable at the size the logo is displayed on the gtfc website. Perhaps it would have been better to have it above or below the three fish, and in white on black rather than red.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 267
27 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › New website and badge

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.