Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 220 Guests

Retained list

This thread currently has 41,377 views. Print
24 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
May 12, 2023, 11:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from chaos33
What point is the ironically named ‘canny lad’ trying to make, because I’m not seeing it….?

And, he’s on here, so has an internet connection. Could’ve answered his own question anyway, but like so many these days, lazily asks others to do the fetching and carrying for them.

There is no point to be made. It’s just an arbitrary number. It could have been less, it could have been more. The facts are that despite a sticky first few months in the job, which has since been mitigated and then some, with whatever number of signings he may have made Hurst has:

a) Delivered promotion back into the EFL at the first attempt, ahead of clubs with greater resources

b) Been chiefly responsible for record season ticket sales (beating the previous record by something daft like 60%)

c) Delivered the highest league finish since 2006 - some 17 years

That’s the long and the short of it. There are imperfections, yes; our home form this season has been anything but perfect. But as an unfashionable old football club in a provincial northern town, you have to take the rough with the smooth, and things have been as smooth as I can remember for many, many a year.

Hurst has done a remarkable job on the whole. Life’s all about opinions, but I would absolutely question the grip on reality that anyone who would seek to challenge that summation of his performance has.

My greatest fear for next season isn’t whether Hurst can have us pushing hard at the right end of the table; in spite of a tough looking division next season I have full confidence that he will. My fear is that we might not be able to keep him long enough to complete the job. Make no mistake, if we are north of 8th position past the midway point of next season, there will be no shortage of clubs asking for his services.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 237
Jarmo.Is.God
May 12, 2023, 12:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I normally find the one's i've never heard off, are the better signings.

i remember some 'high profile' signings like Brodie not going great
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 237
LocalLadGTFC
May 12, 2023, 12:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,211
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Poojah

There is no point to be made. It’s just an arbitrary number. It could have been less, it could have been more. The facts are that despite a sticky first few months in the job, which has since been mitigated and then some, with whatever number of signings he may have made Hurst has:

a) Delivered promotion back into the EFL at the first attempt, ahead of clubs with greater resources

b) Been chiefly responsible for record season ticket sales (beating the previous record by something daft like 60%)

That’s the long and the short of it. There are imperfections, yes; our home form this season has been anything but perfect. But as an unfashionable old football club in a provincial northern town, you have to take the rough with the smooth, and things have been as smooth as I can remember for many, many a year.

Hurst has done a remarkable job on the whole. Life’s all about opinions, but I would absolutely question the grip on reality that anyone who would seek to challenge that summation of his performance has.

My greatest fear for next season isn’t whether Hurst can have us pushing hard at the right end of the table; in spite of a tough looking division next season I have full confidence that he will. My fear is that we might not be able to keep him long enough to complete the job. Make no mistake, if we are north of 8th position past the midway point of next season, there will be no shortage of clubs asking for his services.

I honestly believe in the depths of my heart and trust me you have to go a long way to find it, that Paul would only leave us for one club and that be Rotherham. I've had quite a few chats with him casually and professionally. He is as straight and honest as they come and it's easy to see why players love playing for him. I believe he's 100% backed by Jason and Andrew and is very much very happy in his current climate that the only thing that would be able to tempt him away would be his boyhood club. I don't see him leaving for a Shrewsbury this time around.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 192 - 237
HertsGTFC
May 12, 2023, 12:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,929
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I honestly believe in the depths of my heart and trust me you have to go a long way to find it, that Paul would only leave us for one club and that be Rotherham. I've had quite a few chats with him casually and professionally. He is as straight and honest as they come and it's easy to see why players love playing for him. I believe he's 100% backed by Jason and Andrew and is very much very happy in his current climate that the only thing that would be able to tempt him away would be his boyhood club. I don't see him leaving for a Shrewsbury this time around.

Looking from a distance I'd agree with this, there maybe another club that would tempt him and that's Wednesday as I believe he has been a supporter since he was a kid.

I've spoken to him briefly a couple of times and also found him very polite happy to have a quick chat and just seems like a decent bloke.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 237
DB
May 12, 2023, 1:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,014
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Poojah

I can't see Hurst leaving. He has football eutopia, football matters are at his sole discretion, and the owners leave him alone to get on with the job and do not interfere. The club is on the up and a new training ground is on the cards. Many things are now different to the last time he was manager under the Fenty ownership.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 237
diehardmariner
May 12, 2023, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Nah.

Whilst he might be more cautious in the clubs that he would consider going for, he's still got ambition and he's still young.  

We've got a ceiling, as have all clubs.  At the minute ours is quite low because we're constrained by our relative size and ability to increase income to match others.  If a club with greater potential and an ethos that matches that of Hurst, he would be a fool to not seriously consider it.

On the flip side of it, 1878 aren't mugs.  They've stuck with Hurst because they see him as part of the bigger picture.  Inevitably there will be a point in time that their vision doesn't include him.  They've shown they're not frightened of a ruthless approach when it comes to staff, don't be fooled that they won't take the same approach with Hurst if needed.
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 237
Mariner_09
May 12, 2023, 2:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Poojah

Think it would take something pretty special to tempt him away and, by that, I mean Sheffield Wednesday come calling.

I also completely agree that people need a reality check if they don't think the last 12 months has been anything short of remarkable and I would remain incredibly reluctant to dispense with him, even if the start to next season is iffy, as he has shown time and again that he can turn it around if things aren't going great. There will not be a manager who is markedly better than Hurst available a L2 club next season.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 237
Son of Cod
May 12, 2023, 5:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Hartlepool's list is out and Jamie Sterry has been released, definitely worth a look/punt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 237
ginnywings
May 12, 2023, 6:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

D) FA Cup run and associated income.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 237
marinerjase
May 12, 2023, 7:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 147
I’m a big PH fan..and don’t see him going anywhere yet..but also agree with Poojah’s thoughts in that if an opportunity arises he’d consider it. For that to occur Town need to be up there in top 7/8 at Christmas, you could argue that is what we should be looking to achieve ourselves anyway.

Hurst has done a cracking job here, and whilst acknowledging the views of some about the home form and ‘methods’ - there were some factors behind those that we shouldn’t have this time around. Hurst has said numerous times he knows the areas we need to improve, and identified the types of players he wants - I’ve a gut feeling there’ll be a more positive intent and he’ll introduce a bit of creativity mixed with a stronger midfield physically, and maybe the centre forward (though I’m not convinced it’ll be - or need to be - someone knocking in 15 a season or more) ..he’s always set his sides up defensively minded, and hard working/organised - rightly so imho - and numerous other clubs commented and complimented us on that front - but I’ve a feeling Hurst may acknowledge you need a bit more to progress.

Funny thing is football though..and the way everyone views things differently..another view could be Hurst has been back 3 years now (or thereabouts) and that is quite a lengthy spell in managerial terms. It could be we reach a plateau and he moves on, or it could be he and we continue to progress. I hope it’s the latter - but it wouldn’t be the greatest shock in the world if next season was his last here.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 237
24 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.