Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 753 Guests

Retained list

This thread currently has 41,590 views. Print
24 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
May 10, 2023, 6:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Sunny D was absolutely bogging but I do recall liking tab clear, I'm thinking that was the early 90s.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 237
GollyGTFC
May 10, 2023, 7:13am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
Im guessing Danny Amos will have had an appearance clause that will have been 20 games in the league or 20 or 25 in all competitions.

He played 31 games in total, 22 in the league, 4 in the EFL Trophy, 3 in the FA cup and 2 EFL cup games.

It does make you wonder whether Owen Gallagher was brought in till by Hurst as an alternative to Amos reaching his contract clause. It seemed like an odd addition at the time.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 131 - 237
Stew0_0
May 10, 2023, 7:30am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Does anyone else agree that if we replaced McAtee with a like for like and signed a unit of a striker our central midfield is good enough as it is?  

If we played a 3 in the middle of Green as a foil to an attacking Clifton with Hunt or Khouri on the left of the 3 supplying to a target man or getting the ball to a creative sort in the hole we have the foundations of a decent attacking unit.

Add the experience of Holohan and the late energy of an Danilo Orsi and I think we can cause teams problems next season IF we get our attacking signings right. Easier said than done though I'm sure.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 237
MuddyWaters
May 10, 2023, 7:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Stew0_0
Does anyone else agree that if we replaced McAtee with a like for like and signed a unit of a striker our central midfield is good enough as it is?  

If we played a 3 in the middle of Green as a foil to an attacking Clifton with Hunt or Khouri on the left of the 3 supplying to a target man or getting the ball to a creative sort in the hole we have the foundations of a decent attacking unit.

Add the experience of Holohan and the late energy of an Danilo Orsi and I think we can cause teams problems next season IF we get our attacking signings right. Easier said than done though I'm sure.

I love Green’s energy but we need much better ball retention if we’re going to seriously contend. There’s a pretty good reason why he’s spent his career in non league before he came to us.
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 237
aldi_01
May 10, 2023, 7:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
No shocks there at all, I didn’t know Amos had a clause but fair play and clearly Hurst is keen to some extent else he’d have just stopped playing him altogether.

I think we need at least one body in midfield, I’m not sold on Green and potentially the others could be a tad lightweight, although a full pre season might help. With the right person there’s no doubt Hunt could be instrumental in most of our games.

I think it’s clear, and has been a while that Hurst knows what and who he wants and to some degree, I suspect he’ll get most. We had to essentially do a trolley dash last year given how late our season ended, but already it seems he’s got his irons well and truly in the fire and the club as one want to do their business early which is a step forward compared to previous.

Regardless of whether Crocombe goes, I think we’ll see another keeper come in and definitely a centre half or two.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 237
ginnywings
May 10, 2023, 7:48am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
There does seem to be a bit more urgency around the club now.

Season tickets released earlier than usual and I've not seen the retained list that quick after seasons end before.

Hope the new signings are as speedy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 237
Maringer
May 10, 2023, 8:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,673
Gold Stars: 189
I'm happy enough for Amos to stay. He's never let us down (the odd lower-division player blunder aside) and will need to battle Glennon for a place in the team. It would have been nice to sign another Danny Andrew who was so good at this level that we didn't even bother to play a left-midfielder half the time, but there aren't too many players like that available!

Regarding Green (and Holohan, to some degree), neither is the best passer of the ball, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem if you can get the balance of the rest of the team right. Coldicott wasn't a great passer, either, but he was there to do his job and get the ball to those who were better with it. We're unlikely to be playing total football next season and, in lots of games in this division, the ball is up in the air in midfield all the time. Having a diminutive team has been a real issue in many games this year and, if we're not likely to pass teams off the park, we have to be able to battle and mix it up as well.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 237
jamesgtfc
May 10, 2023, 8:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ginnywings
There does seem to be a bit more urgency around the club now.

Season tickets released earlier than usual and I've not seen the retained list that quick after seasons end before.

Hope the new signings are as speedy.

First season in a very long time where we have known our fate for quite a while allowing those conversations to be had.

The retained list usually says what YTs have been offered a pro deal, have we not offered any this year?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 237
Heisenberg
May 10, 2023, 8:33am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from aldi_01
No shocks there at all, I didn’t know Amos had a clause but fair play and clearly Hurst is keen to some extent else he’d have just stopped playing him altogether.

I think we need at least one body in midfield, I’m not sold on Green and potentially the others could be a tad lightweight, although a full pre season might help. With the right person there’s no doubt Hunt could be instrumental in most of our games.

I think it’s clear, and has been a while that Hurst knows what and who he wants and to some degree, I suspect he’ll get most. We had to essentially do a trolley dash last year given how late our season ended, but already it seems he’s got his irons well and truly in the fire and the club as one want to do their business early which is a step forward compared to previous.

Regardless of whether Crocombe goes, I think we’ll see another keeper come in and definitely a centre half or two.

Here’s one for you - if we can’t get Smith in next season, who thinks that Green could take his place, especially in a back 5? The Halifax fans seemed to think that was his best position, from memory.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 237
IlkleyMariner
May 10, 2023, 8:46am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Heisenberg

Here’s one for you - if we can’t get Smith in next season, who thinks that Green could take his place, especially in a back 5? The Halifax fans seemed to think that was his best position, from memory.

Probably
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 237
24 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.