10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
ivanosandwich
July 30, 2014, 8:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 17
Seeing the Happy Mariner in the Sports Telegraph after the game. A big smile if we win, bit of a sideways glance for a draw and a really down expression when we lost. Also seem to recall that his hat had almost fallen off in the lost photo, exposing his bald head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 94
Teesknees
July 30, 2014, 8:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
I remember the odd shaped St John's ambulance men and women who used to sit against the fence facing the pitch on the Barrett side of the ground, never saw them called into action! They reminded me of the vultures off Bedknobs and broomsticks.

Also a distant memory of being squashed to fck in the Barrett stand just trying to get half way up was a challenge on big game days and the chaos when we scored.... but it was fcking brilliant!! Also remember the Floral dance by Terry Wogan being played at half time and as it was fcking cold everyone stamping their feet in time to the music and thinking the stand was gonna collapse! People pi ssing into bottles, but not throwing them..... or was that just a dream!!?

I still have my football rattle which I wrapped in black and white stripped tape... God knows what to do with it, it's maybe a foot long.... can't use it for Health and Safety reasons or it would be also classsed as disturbing the peace, or possessing an illegal weapon!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 94
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 30, 2014, 8:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I remember them all.

Plus

watching Town's A team play in the Midland League

being allowed to sit in the seats in the Osmond for reserve matches

the lousy sweets we used to buy from the kids with the trays walking round the track

charity collections with people throwing coins into a flag or a sheet carried round the track

being able to change ends at half time

standing up to watch a game

dashing out on the whistle to be first on the bus to Riby Square

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 94
Brazilnut
July 30, 2014, 8:30pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
People selling the Telegraph walking thro the stands ....would be robbed now!!!!!

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 94
Rob_in_Grimsby
July 30, 2014, 8:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
I can remember when we had the cons corner, and trying to decipher the  letters board and the page in the program for half time scores  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 94
Doubled
July 30, 2014, 9:03pm
season ticket holder
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +43
I have vague memories of a "golden goal" competition, Can anyone remember how it worked?
Was there a time printed in the programme?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 94
Kk700
July 30, 2014, 9:11pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +76
Gold Stars: 1
I remember selling those sweets and getting in free. We sat on the track behind the pontoon goal and had the best views
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 94
Saudimariner
July 30, 2014, 9:15pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9
The song "Do what you do do well, boys" when Town came down the tunnel
The floor of the Barratt Stand bouncing up and down when people stamped their feet to warm them up
Rust falling down from the roof when a ball landed on it
The lad with the broken leg in plaster marching up and down the Barratt Stand playing a trumpet
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 94
Belfast Town
July 30, 2014, 9:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,692
Gold Stars: 19
Fences behind the goals!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 94
Cod Cheeks
July 30, 2014, 9:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Quoted from Perkins
Anyone remember:

1.Football Rattles.

2.Rosettes.

3.The Guy in the black and white striped suit and top hat walking round the side of the pitch getting the crowd going.

4.The Telegraph Photographer and his HUGE camera, pulling HUGE photographic plates out the back and giving them to a lad who jumped on his bike and pedalled like hell to the offices to ensure they were printed in the Football Telegraph that evening.

5.The old guy who continually shouted "Are You There Wouldy" to our illustrious as then chairman F A Would.

6.Hanging numbered plates up on the fencing to give half time scores that would correspond with the fixtures in your programme. (never seemed to tally)

7.Coming down the back exit steps of the Barratts Stand and wondering if you would make it down before it collapsed, (or caught fire because of a stray dog
end).

8.Dads carrying stools and boxes for the kids to stand on. (Now banned under Health and Safety Regs)

9.Grown ups passing kids overhead to the front so they could sit on the ash track and see the game. (Also now banned under Health and Safety regs)

10. Brass bands marching before the kick off.(Grimsby Borough Police Band mainly)

11.Leaving your push bike in an old lasses front garden in Imperial Ave for a tanner, and trying to untangle yours from a stack of about 40 others after the game.

12.When no supporter in the ground could be seen wearing a match day shirt. (when did that start?)

Cos i do.

Fantastic post! 12 out of 12 for me

What about paying an extra thrupence at a turn style to get into the Pontoon?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 12 Blundell Park Remembers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.