nickmariners
August 2, 2014, 8:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

And ironically some of the community don't want a new ground!!!!

That's a tad unfair - it's nothing to do with any lack of concern about our once major local industry, and you could just as easily claim that some of Town's support don't care about the legit objections of many local residents to a new stadium.  You can't really have a 'community stadium' if large portions of the community are agin it.

Anyroad, to add to memories thread -- remember shouting "i-ya Elton" to Elton John in the Director's Box during a visit by Watford one wet and windy midweek match in the 70's. It was in the days when you could run all around the ground.  I think it was a year or so before he and Lincolnshire Lad Bernie Taupin penned the not-terribly-impressive "Grimsby, my Grimsby"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 94
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 2, 2014, 9:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,837
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from nickmariners

That's a tad unfair - it's nothing to do with any lack of concern about our once major local industry, and you could just as easily claim that some of Town's support don't care about the legit objections of many local residents to a new stadium.  You can't really have a 'community stadium' if large portions of the community are agin it.

Anyroad, to add to memories thread -- remember shouting "i-ya Elton" to Elton John in the Director's Box during a visit by Watford one wet and windy midweek match in the 70's. It was in the days when you could run all around the ground.  I think it was a year or so before he and Lincolnshire Lad Bernie Taupin penned the not-terribly-impressive "Grimsby, my Grimsby"

A tad unfair? What are you on about??? I being you to just a couple of examples :

Newts in great coated
Allotment holders
People thinking it will interfere with the crem
Cllr defruityarse

That's more than a tad fair! Like it or not, there is an element that don't want us to have a new stadium for one reason or another

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 94
TAGG
August 2, 2014, 10:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
6.Hanging numbered plates up on the fencing to give half time scores that would correspond with the fixtures in your programme. (never seemed to tally)

I did that two or three times before going off to sell Telegraphs in the Barrett stand.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 94
northbankmariner
August 2, 2014, 10:28pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Quoted from barralad

"Sing When We're Fishing"-the magazine not the chant....

Crickey forgot all about that, when it was on sale always picked one up outside the ground. Preferred it to the official programme to be honest.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 94
nickmariners
August 2, 2014, 10:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

A tad unfair? What are you on about??? I being you to just a couple of examples :

Newts in great coated
Allotment holders
People thinking it will interfere with the crem
Cllr defruityarse

That's more than a tad fair! Like it or not, there is an element that don't want us to have a new stadium for one reason or another

What am I "on about"? Sorry, if it was unclear:

1) I politely stated thought it was unfair to link opposition to a new stadium to lack of respect to sunken trawlers. A total non-sequiter, in fact

2) precisely: that was my point -- there IS an element that does not want a stadium "for one reason or another" - and they are fully entitled to their views.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 94
Badger57
August 3, 2014, 7:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,912
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Perkins
Anyone remember:

1.Football Rattles.
2.Rosettes.
3.The Guy in the black and white striped suit and top hat walking round the side of the pitch getting the crowd going.
4.The Telegraph Photographer and his HUGE camera, pulling HUGE photographic plates out the back and giving them to a lad who jumped on his bike and pedalled like hell to the offices to ensure they were printed in the Football Telegraph that evening.
5.The old guy who continually shouted "Are You There Wouldy" to our illustrious as then chairman F A Would.
6.Hanging numbered plates up on the fencing to give half time scores that would correspond with the fixtures in your programme. (never seemed to tally)
7.Coming down the back exit steps of the Barratts Stand and wondering if you would make it down before it collapsed, (or caught fire because of a stray dog
end).
8.Dads carrying stools and boxes for the kids to stand on. (Now banned under Health and Safety Regs)
9.Grown ups passing kids overhead to the front so they could sit on the ash track and see the game. (Also now banned under Health and Safety regs)
10. Brass bands marching before the kick off.(Grimsby Borough Police Band mainly)
11.Leaving your push bike in an old lasses front garden in Imperial Ave for a tanner, and trying to untangle yours from a stack of about 40 others after the game.
12.When no supporter in the ground could be seen wearing a match day shirt. (when did that start?)

Cos i do.

1. Yes! My dad made me one painted in black and white stripes but you needed the strength of Sampson to make it work. Ok, slight exaggeration but my little seven year old hands had to be used in conjunction using what little muscle power I had to make it work! Made a heck of a racket though! :>)
2. Yep. There used to be a guy who sold them from a tray especially at cup ties.
3. Yah but only very vaguely. I remember a guy in the pontoon with a Jimmy Saville (YIKES! sorry!) haircut with one half dyed black and the other bleached white!
4. Yes indeed.
5. Nope but I did use to like the shout, Harry Harry Harry! :>)
6. Yeah but they were useless weren't they? LOL!
7. Yeah! BP NEVER had the same atmosphere when it was replaced.
8. Of course. And old milk crates!
9. Yep. I was one of them! :>)
10. Can't say as I can but they did have some at half time. Think the Marching Mariners did a performance before the game though.
11. Nah, use to leave mine at a mate's house in Colin Avenue and walk from there, although I often walked from my home in Dixon Avenue near the crem or from Hainton Avenue when I lived there!
12. Yup but I only ever had one myself and that wasn't black and white. It was the Barcelona blue and red away strip from Ivano Bonetti era. Got him to sign it for me at Swingtime golf centre when he visited there and never wore it again, still got it! :>) ......Thinking about it, I think I did have another one. Think it was all Yellow with a red collar possibly? Same sort of era or am I just imagining that one???  

Ahhh great memories. :>) Enjoyed that, thanks!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 94
barralad
August 3, 2014, 10:08pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Dave Duranne a local folk singer who stood in the centre circle before home games playing the guitar and singing "We Shall Overcome"...Think he lasted about two games....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 94
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 4, 2014, 8:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,837
Gold Stars: 178
I remember illustrious gy (I think they we called) playing before a game in the Harrington st corner. Maybe v Sunderland

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 94
chaos33
August 4, 2014, 9:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Yeah I remember that. It was pretty @rse though wasn't it.  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 94
marinerjase
August 4, 2014, 10:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,655
Gold Stars: 147
Always used to be a buzz around the ground..you knew a game was taking place 3 hours before. My memories include standing on a milk crate in the Barratt Stand, calling Watford Ross Jenkins a name and sh**ting myself when he stared back, Marching Majorettes? pre games, good old fashioned warm ups (ie none), Bobby Cumming launching into someone, Harry Wainmans shop...

Back then it was easier for the club to get fans in, leagues were competitive, no gulf in between...now Tv and money ensure the gulf gets bigger, people can get a virtual season ticket for a Prem club via their tv's and you wouldn't know a game was on at BP before or during now if you weren't there.

I still maintain money is killing football in this country. Know I'm going to get hammered for that but genuinely believe that is the case.

And re community stadium and some comments above - Nick has it right..the vast majority of people in/around the Town don't give two hoots if Gtfc get a new ground. Sad but true...

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 12 Blundell Park Remembers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.