TonySmith
July 31, 2014, 11:10pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted Text
Before my time, but I remember Man City keeper Alex Williams being pelted with loads of bananas.

Can you image that happening today?  

No, and I hope we can all agree that's a bloody good thing. Shall we get all nostalgic for the monkey sounds that black players had to put up with in the 70's and 80's too?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 94
nickmariners
August 1, 2014, 9:04am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from TonySmith
Dave Worthington ball juggling as part of his warm up,his specialty being flicking the ball over his head and catching it between the shoulder blades
Stuart Brace scoring 4 in a game against Oldham including 3 in about 6 minutes
Dave Boylen scoring direct from a corner against Plymouth
And on and on. Oh, happy days of my carefree youth!

I think that Dave Boylen direct-corner goal was against Reading, and it may even have been on an April Fool's Day. It was a real muddy old-fashioned game.

Also remember the Christmas/New Year games when the Barratts sang "Ingoldmells, Ingoldmells..." to the tune of Jingle Bells, and the place reeked of holiday cigar smoke.

I'm one of those who thinks we ought to stay at BP...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 94
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 1, 2014, 9:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Les Brechin

Before my time, but I remember Man City keeper Alex Williams being pelted with loads of bananas.

Agree totally. You seen the price of bananas!
A papaya is far better value

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 94
promotion plaice
August 1, 2014, 9:26am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,079
Gold Stars: 199
Quoted from Les Brechin

When my dad used to take me to watch Hull City as a kid they had a goalkeeper called Ian Mckechnie and the fans used to throw oranges onto the goalmouth before kick off.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 94
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 1, 2014, 9:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from promotion plaice

When my dad used to take me to watch Hull City as a kid they had a goalkeeper called Ian Mckechnie and the fans used to throw oranges onto the goalmouth before kick off.

From memory he was a similar shape to an orange.

Had a tremendously long range on his kick outs.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 94
psgmariner
August 1, 2014, 9:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from nickmariners

I think that Dave Boylen direct-corner goal was against Reading, and it may even have been on an April Fool's Day. It was a real muddy old-fashioned game.

Also remember the Christmas/New Year games when the Barratts sang "Ingoldmells, Ingoldmells..." to the tune of Jingle Bells, and the place reeked of holiday cigar smoke.

I'm one of those who thinks we ought to stay at BP...

I know what you mean about moving. So much history there and it’s a fantastic “old school” football experience. I do wonder if it will be quite the same in a shiny new modern stadium surrounded by fields and carparks. Such a shame that BP appears to be unable to be sufficiently developed but if it is move or die then we have no choice.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 94
RoboCod
August 1, 2014, 11:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
The guy in the early 80's who used to sing, all by himself, "Lincolnshire,Lincolnshire,Lincolnshire..." when it was all the rage to sing "Humberside,Humberside,Humberside..."

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 94
psgmariner
August 1, 2014, 1:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Relatively recent but the score board saying "make some noise boys" and then displaying a fishing line and "sing when we're fishing".

Weren't the score flashes sponsored by David Bury?

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 94
Fcukthescunts
August 1, 2014, 1:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Remember when town fans set light to part of pontoon during a game and chanting to opposition were on fire your not!!
John Cockeril scoring direct from a corner against Wolves and lower findus went mental I was sat on front red bar and getting launched head first into fence a bloke buying me a mars to apologies.
Being a ball boy in a track suit ten times too big and Harry Willis sliding to keep ball in and sliding straight into me!
Ball boy another time getting gobbed on by away fans...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 94
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 1, 2014, 1:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
I remember the cockerels corner too though thought it was v donny and the main stand going mental

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 12 Blundell Park Remembers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.