Tangerine Chris
October 6, 2015, 10:17pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Good win, played well, Tomlinson gash!!!

Have to disagree.  Ben is more industrial than LJL ever was.  He is all over the pitch, and when he does finally break his duck and score for us, I am sure the flood gates will open

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 64
forza ivano
October 6, 2015, 10:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Anyone know how many points we had last season after 15 games?  

Considering most would agree that on a number of occasions this season the team haven't performed to their potential, its encouraging that we are only 4 points off the top, 8 games unbeaten and second best goal difference in the league.  We have a squad that is strong enough to have some fantastic players on the bench.  Sooner or later we will have our traditional 'good run' and find ourselves at the top of the table.  Still nothing to fear in this league.

21 points last season, although we did win 5 on the trot straight after
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 64
Mrs Doyle
October 6, 2015, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
First half was all Town to he honest they looked awful. Macca don't ever make a feck up like that again, must go down as one of the worst howlers seen at Blundell Park. We were totally in control up to then.  Nathan Arnold on the other hand played like a man possessed best I have ever seen him play. Second half was more edgy we seemed to be hanging on a bit at the end. Think Bogle and Paddy was just what was needed to hold the ball up a bit as their midfield started to take control. Danny east had another good game his pace saved us a couple of times besides that Macca did not have much to do tank god.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 64
Chrisblor
October 6, 2015, 10:19pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 234
Agree 100% with that summary Trawler. Arnold absolutely superb going forward and defensively. I hope to see Pittman and Amond starting together on Saturday as well - thought Amond did really well when he came on and looked a threat. Bogle still not quite there - feel he wasn't hassling their defenders or chasing down balls enough to win back his starting spot. Tomlinson just doesn't offer enough creatively - loads of effort but never looks close to scoring. There was one chance that dropped to him in acres of space on the edge of the box in the second half and he hit it weakly right at the keeper.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 64
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2015, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Still think we have the best squad in the league and that someone is going to get a spanking when we click. Once again we persist with a striker that can't score but is all effort,  I personally don't get it but maybe I'm old fashioned in my belief that strikers should score when they get a bagful of chances.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 64
lukeo
October 6, 2015, 10:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
listened to radio prety much sounded like it was a stroll in the park, nice to hear macca get clapped on his way off at half time.
3 points. 8 unbeaten. roll on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 64
DocTower
October 6, 2015, 10:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Good win , we made it much harder than needed . Apart from the blunder to give Gateshead the lead they certainly didn't appear to be a team second in this division . We were better than them but never stamped our authority on the game .
Pitman and Tomlinson just don't compliment  each other , it's been tried before with little success . The constant lump  it to Monkhouse  must be changed , plus our inability to change or adapt to the opposition changing their formation .

Apart from Arnolds solo effort wonder goal we never looked dangerous.  Our back 4 were solid again with Gowling standing out , midfield were pushed back in the second half as Gateshead changed things around . Clay for me was the busiest with so good passing  .. Amond and Bogle brought  on too late but showed they have a better understanding together than the two starting tonight.

Thousand down on Saturdays attendance I counted 27 away supporters .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 64
Maringer
October 6, 2015, 10:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
I thought Tomlinson played pretty well tonight. Linked up play well, worked hard, did plenty of good stuff. Just the one bad miss which he hit straight at the keeper which made it too easy to save. His effort from a tight angle must have been close. No idea why anybody would want to cheer/boo him off the pitch following a decent performance.

On the other hand, Pittman hit the post with a header when he should probably have done better but didn't really get involved apart from that. A bit disappointed with him to tell the truth and he doesn't look as lively as he did at times last season. Almost as though he's playing well within himself?

We looked livelier for 5 minutes after Bogle and Amond came one and came close a couple of times but, after that, they didn't really get any possession - trying flicks and tricks a bit too often, in my view. Not sure how much that was down to our play with the midfield sitting deeper or how much was due to Gateshead pushing forward.

In general I thought Disley and Clay had one of their better games and, in fact, all the midfield 4 played well. Couple of great bits of play from Arnold to win us the game and the second was an absolute belter.

Have to say I didn't think much at all of Gateshead and I'm in agreement that it would be a surprise if they were up in the mix come the end of the season. We really should have put them to bed much sooner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 64
Tommy
October 6, 2015, 10:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Enjoyed that game.

Didn't think much to Gateshead at all, they offered absolutely nothing. But let's give ourselves credit and consider that our work rate, pressing and speed of play in the first 35 minutes had them pegged back. They couldn't get out of their own half for long spells.

Horrible error from Macca, didn't get his hands behind the ball. Didn't have anything else to do until late on.

Back four were solid. East much better than Saturday and his pace saved us once or twice when covering at the back.

East and Arnold looked like a real partnership down the right and we had the beating of Gateshead down that side all day long.

Arnold was class and ultimately the difference tonight. We played well and deserved the win, but it was Arnold who provided the moments of class.

Tomlinson, I thought, played well. Worked hard, got involved in a lot of good build up play when he pulled wide left first half. Second half his work rate didn't drop and he held it up reasonably well and brought Pittman and Arnold into play with some decent flick ons and passes. Had one real chance on the edge of the box which he struck cleanly but too close to the middle of the goal. Didn't understand the cheering when he went off because he did well. Is he being unfairly singled out just because fans would rather see others in ahead of him?

Monkhouse much better than Saturday too but thought he tired towards the end. Would've liked to have seen Marshall come on for 15 minutes and run at their right back.

All in all we didn't create many chances but put in a good performance. Good pressing and an intense start to the game which was good. Other than the one move where Bogle played Amond out wide and Amond tried to cross to Bogle, we looked better with Tomlinson/Pittman on. The ball wouldn't stick once they went off and Gateshead were suddenly getting time and room to play out from the back a bit more.

Without doubt MOM Arnold.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 64
moosey_club
October 6, 2015, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Cracking start to the game, similar to how Arsenal played Man Utd on Sunday, high line, pressure on their back four and neat to feet passing....unbelievable to be a goal down with them hardly getting in our half.....such an easy ball for Macca to deal with i think in his head he must have already caught it and was looking where to distribute, mental lapse but shouldnt happen to a professional footballer.....
to be fair to the team they just started where they had left off and didnt let it phase them, more high pressure, more neat play and the goal finally came, superb individual effort from Arnold..beating three men before getting a bit of fortune with a post rebound off the keeper into the net, technically an own goal but full credit to Arnold.
Same story for the first 45 mins, Arnold, East linking up and looking unstoppable.  1-1 half time a travesty in reality.

Second half we were a little slower in getting going, but settled down and were looking comfortable again, beautiful goal out of nowhere for Arnold again similar to his strike against Eastleigh last season...rocket!!

The game started to turn around 60 - 70 mins fror me, their substitutions livened them up, Disley, Clay and Monkhouse started to tire and we slowly started to retreat but the back four held firm. Our double substitution  ( bang on 70 minutes of course)  worked for a few minutes, creating a couple of half chances but their third sub and a knock to Disley seemed to kill off any remaining fizz from our midfield and left Amond and Bogle feeding off scraps. Held out albeit surrendering a little territory but no major scares.

Not impressed by the heed at all, how they are the best away team in this league i do not know.

Arnold - superb, really pleased for him after his recent times. Outstanding true wingers performance.    

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.