immariner
October 12, 2015, 6:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
He is LJL writ large. I thought we'd got over that particular style of non-scoring striker.

You mean 20-goal LJL (2014/15) and 18 & 14-goal Ben Tomlinson (2013/14 & 2014/15)?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 94
Theimperialcoroner
October 12, 2015, 6:52pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,227
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from immariner

You mean 20-goal LJL (2014/15) and 18 & 14-goal Ben Tomlinson (2013/14 & 2014/15)?

Yep I mean the cows bottom/banjo LJL who only got to 20 goals because of a few penalties. One of which at Dartford was followed by mocking his own fans with a his hand to his ear. Can't forgive twattish behaviour like that.
My old man could've scored 20 goals playing in that team last season and his knees are bolloxed.
I also get the need for strikers to have some of the dark arts and to defend from the front, but think Bogle/Amond can offer that and also offer goals. Something Lennie didn't really do and nor does Tomlinson.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 94
Caesar
October 12, 2015, 6:53pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
I was very critical of him on Saturday when he squared it for Bogle rather than shooting in an ideal position.  But he isn't that bad a player and certainly offers us something.  In fact for all the craving for a Bogle,Amond partnership back again I wouldn't at all mind Tomlinson and Amond as I think they could work very well together.  This loan seems to make sense then I think.

Agree that some people are enjoying using Tomlinson as a stick with which to beat Hurst, however while I think he could be be a useful player for us give him a break so he can get some confidence back and shoot when a good opportunity is there!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 94
MuddyWaters
October 12, 2015, 7:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,272
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from immariner

Which just goes to show that you can make stats fit any argument. I think that the fairest thing you can say is that Tomlinson isn't a natural goalscorer and nor was Lenny.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 94
Maringer
October 12, 2015, 7:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,569
Gold Stars: 185
As I've pointed out in the past, Tomlinson has scored more goals than Amond in each of the past 3 seasons, albeit in a division lower. But that is neither here nor there and ignores the fact that we are comparing apples to oranges. Tomlinson does things in a game that Amond doesn't. If Amond could do that work as well, he'd be playing at a higher level.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Amond play more because he's a clever player with fantastic movement which should cause problems at this level, but I'm not convinced that the Bogle/Amond partnership offers enough up top against the stronger teams.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a Bogle/Amond partnership tomorrow, however, with Halifax struggling so badly at the back. You'd think they ought to be able to score a few and their relative lack of 'defensive' work shouldn't be such an issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 94
MuddyWaters
October 12, 2015, 7:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,272
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Amond play more because he's a clever player with fantastic movement which should cause problems at this level, but I'm not convinced that the Bogle/Amond partnership offers enough up top against the stronger teams.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a Bogle/Amond partnership tomorrow, however, with Halifax struggling so badly at the back. You'd think they ought to be able to score a few and their relative lack of 'defensive' work shouldn't be such an issue.

Well it would be nice to see them given a chance against the top teams rather than being sat getting splinters in their @rses.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 94
jonnyboy82
October 12, 2015, 7:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Well its paul's job on the line and most certainly his last chance at it so now i just say let him do what he wants , quite funny actually that he sees him the best we can do.

Good choice paul, great signing

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 94
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 12, 2015, 7:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
In spite of what I have said elsewhere about Bogle & Amond, I am not craving that they are picked as a partnership tomorrow.

Tomlinson is a certain type of player and he's good at what he does like LJL. If he had a better goals potential he might even be playing in the FL instead of on loan to us. My point has always been that Tomlinson is a symptom of how Hurst wants his side to play. He is quite prepared to give up the goalscoring talent of Amond and Bogle for the non-stop running and tracking back of Tomlinson and rely on a clean sheet for a result.

The other side of this of course is that Bogle and Amond are a waste of money. What did he sign them for? He could have got six Tomlinsons for one Bogle if that's the way he wants the team to play.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 94
ginnywings
October 12, 2015, 7:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
We needed a fourth striker before JPP got injured and we need one even more now, so extending his loan was inevitable as Hurst couldn't seem to find the target man he was seeking. I've been impressed with Tomlinson's work rate and team ethic but he needs to start notching a few or we are going to end up the same as we did last season. His record is quite good over the last 2 seasons, seeing as he was playing for a side that weren't tearing up many trees. Got mixed feelings about this as i really thought we had found the goalscorers we lacked last campaign in Bogle and Amond. Hurst thinks differently.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 94
Rick12
October 12, 2015, 7:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
I actually dont mind the lad.Yes I have seen him play only one game but he did catch my eye with his work ethic and enthusiasm.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tomlinson "surprise"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.