gaz57
October 13, 2015, 2:45am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from chaos33

First part - come on. you're splitting hairs here Maringer. What do you mean 'effective'? Effective at what? Scoring goals? Closing down defenders? Being a nuisance? Setting up chances and causing problems? I repeat - who are the better players? Amond and Bogle are much better than Tomlinson, in essence IMO. And they both carry a far greater goal (and assist) threat, and that is supported by the current facts.

The second bit - I'd say that Bogle is yet to prove that because he hasn't been gven a fair chance to.

For me, Bogle is the type of player who needs to be persevered with. For a manager to show faith and patience in. He's got a 3 year contract and we've paid a fee for him after laying patient seige. Hurst dropped him like hot sh1t! He has proven that he will score goals in differernt scenarios, and that he may also get you a goal out of nothing; with a flash of something skilful or unpredictable.
He looks like he would score 20 - 30 goals this season. Why on earth would he not be playing?!

Amond is simply a much better class of player than both at the moment. A great finisher with both feet or head, and with superb movement, positional play and workrate. They are both not going to have blinding games and score 2 and 3 goals apiece each week, but they need to be backed by the manager. To be persevered with. To be forgiven for an 'out of sorts' game, or a few missed chances here and there because they pop up with a winner regularly, or they score on a frequent basis, and make their own chances, and poach, and all the rest of it. This is how they hone their technique, learn about each other's play, and grow their confidence. Bogle and Amond are great assets in my opinion. We don't need Tomlinson. Hurst has cut his nose off to spite his face because his defence got sloppy and made some repeated basic errors, we conceded a couple of freak or special goals, and our centre midfield dynamic isn't/wasn't strong enough. He panicked and reverted to his default setting.

Well said, Mr Fenty take note.
Goals get points, points get promotion end of.

Fans are not entertained by players that are just good at running around if they were they'd save their money and watch athletics. While the players are there that can do the job and entertain the fans but are not being played they will keep their money and stay at home.
It seems to me Mr Fenty is frightened of his own history of picking manager's and is prepared to stick with his nearly man and hope for a big slice of luck or he is easily entertained.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 94
Mrs Doyle
October 13, 2015, 3:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
FFS hope he scores a hat trick tonight that's the best two fingered salute he could do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 94
chaos33
October 13, 2015, 6:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,946
Gold Stars: 360
As usual Mrs Doyle, a great contribution (including the ubiquitous swearing) to what has been an informed, even handed and friendly discussion with no insults.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 94
jonnyboy82
October 13, 2015, 7:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
FFS hope he scores a hat trick tonight that's the best two fingered salute he could do.

Good morning mrs doyle  

Why are you always so angry ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 94
ex-merseymariner
October 13, 2015, 7:45am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Have enjoyed this thread's debate.

Something skipped over a little is the fact that we have 4 strikers currently; 2 who are new permanent signings, Podge from the league, Omar from lower leagues.
We have JPP who sadly continues to have injury problems but has been scoring, and Tomlinson, who is a National League striker who has scored goals and earned himself a move to a league club, found himself out of their side, come here and worked his socks off, and hopefully tonight will open his GTFC account. We are lucky to have 4 such good strikers; spoilt for choice!

Also how come Nathan Arnold is not central to this debate?  Probably because he is our best winger.I don't want him to be moved up front every 5 mins because Tomlinson isnt here and JPP is injured.

For me, if we play a front six of Dis, Clay, Monkhouse and Arnold, then any of our 4 strikers will do.

Finally, if we don't renew the Tomlinson loan, and he goes back, I could see another northern side (Lincoln? even Wrexham), or a southern side if he has digs there, picking him up, and him scoring freely!!!!

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 94
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 13, 2015, 8:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from chaos33

I hope you're wrong. This could be an absolutely massive call IMO.

I hope I'm wrong as well but realistically that's the evidence isn't it? One thing I am pleased about is that people are beginning to understand why Bogle only looks half the player he did in August when he comes on now. The lad's confidence must be shredded and if the manager isn't careful that will get worse not better.

It makes it hard to understand why Hurst signed those players because he is known for doing his homework. Surely he knew what they were like and what sort of side they needed to play in. Not the same level I know but look at the way Wales have altered their game plans to make the most of Bale.

The manager needs to think very carefully here about the impact his selections and team plan now will have on the rest of the season. You are right Chaos, it's a massive call. Is it too strong to say that we are in danger of going from 3 good strikers in August to 4 very average ones in October?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 94
oldun
October 13, 2015, 8:21am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Tommo to score 2 tonight. Can't wait to see his celebration and reaction to the fans. Could be spicy. Go on Tommo you know you want to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 94
NewtoN
October 13, 2015, 8:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +207
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Maringer
Tomlinson is the new Robinson. Regardless of how he plays, he's the figurehead to those who want rid of the manager so he can never do any right. Against Gateshead, there were moans and groans among the crowd when he miscontrolled the ball early on that our other strikers wouldn't have received. He's not been brilliant for us but I understand that he was apparently a lot more involved than Bogle against Braintree. He was a lot more involved than JPP against Gateshead and FGR (though Pittman did obviously score a nice goal in that one), so he's not an empty shirt.

For me, Tomlinson looks a decent enough player at this level but his lack of goals so far is obviously disappointing. I'm surprised he's not been tried with Amond just yet. Wonder if we'll see that tomorrow?

Those who criticise Tomlinson's lack of goals so far should remember that Hearn didn't score until his 11th appearance for the club - I don't remember too many people getting on his back so quickly!

If Tomlinson is going to stay, he will hopefully bag a goal tomorrow (assuming he plays) to silence the doubters, then more after that.

I support Paul Hurst as a manager and will continue to do while he is at the club, but Tomlinson and Robinson are absolutely rammel!

Up the Mariners, Up the Broadley!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 94
Caesar
October 13, 2015, 8:53am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from oldun
Tommo to score 2 tonight. Can't wait to see his celebration and reaction to the fans. Could be spicy. Go on Tommo you know you want to.

If he plays I really hope he scores.  However why woud you want him to antoganize the fans?  Yeah he gets a bit of stick on here but he was hardly signled out for abuse at the weekend.  Apart from a few sarcastic cheers apperently against Gateshead fan have been behind him at matches and he seemed to have a bit of fun with the fans about kicking the water bottle around on Saturday.  

Hust has previously identified we want a sense of togetherness, foster that and share with the fans, we ar supposed to be all in it together, not out to make a point.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tomlinson "surprise"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.